Here’s why PES 2020 is better than any FIFA in the gameplay

Comments

• skHH
    338 posts Sunday League Hero
    Must be just me that thinks pes actually has worse graphics, some of their game faces are terrible
  • Libguy
    4847 posts National Call-Up
    Did anyone else think the players looked quite gaunt? I used Juventus in the demo and CR7 looked like a junkie. Everyone seemed to have overly long necks too.

You're not wrong. If this guy was crashing at my house for a couple days, I'd probably make sure to take any prescription meds out of the medicine cabinet and hide them some place -

cr7.png
  • Graphics in PES are better because of lighting and textures, which are way more realistic. Fifa is clean (cartoon like). Faces are closer to real ones in PES. But what **** things up are animations. Facial animation is a very critical thing, since we can detect any imperfection and they must be improved in PES. T-shirts seem stiff and overall animations are more robotic. But statically, PES is way ahead. Compare a photograph of players real faces with both games and mainly, compare photos of stadiums. Stadiums in PES are just beautifully done and (mainly) illuminated. They look like the real thing. The only thing that feel not so right, in terms of lighting, are shadows in evening/overcast games. Shadows by night and daytime are perfect.

Fifa went for a cleaner, more idealized look. Ok, it is idealized (superhero) football. Fifa is football RPG. They should include spell casting in the game.
  • Portella wrote: »
    Disconsidering modes and focusing in the game of football, PES is better in almost all aspects: gameplay, environment graphics, ball physics.

There are two points in which Fifa is better: animation (quality and variety) and sound. Gameplay in Fifa is a joke, a pinball game with football theme, but it's true FUT is addictive.

The problem with Fifa players that try to migrate is that they want immediate reward. When I tried it for the first time, I though that no way I would switch; the game felt clumsy and unresponsive. Well, I was trying to play it like Fifa and wanting it to respond like Fifa. After the first five games, I wasn't convinced yet. After twenty or thirty games with a new mindset and having learned the controls, I was converted. Switching back to Fifa, it felt like the caricature of a football game, felt ridiculous. The difference is that in Fifa you just react (fast reaction and button pressing is all there is to it); in PES you have to read the game, anticipate. If you don't, players won't respond fast enough. If you pass well, position the player well, shoot at the right time, etc, the game begins to feel a lot more responsive and you realize that it wasn't feeling so before, because you were playing the wrong. Invert the situation. Imagine you begin to play Fifa by waiting the players to have a good posture before kicking and passing (as in real football). The game would be frustrating, since by then your opponent would have tackled and recovered the ball. You wouldn't stay with the ball and would just be chasing him around during all the game. Frustrating. But in Fifa, after a while, you realize that you shouldn't wait. Just press the **** button and things start to fit. The player is facing the other way? Press the **** button and point in the direction you want! The ball is too high? Press the **** button; it will find a way to shoot o shoot. Too much pressure around? Press the **** button and your ball will get precisely to your mate through opponent players. Wrong foot? Just press the **** button!!

Try playing PES for a while, learn the controls, begin to understand the movement patterns (much more like real football) and then you can say it is unresponsive. Not before that.

+++++++++
  • joehuk
    3337 posts National Call-Up
    Ok so I've played over 20games of pes over the last week on myclub and I have to say the game is an absolute shambles, how they can try and call this an Esports game I do not know.

There's so many flaws with the game it's pretty unplayable.

Dribbling being the key issue it's absolutely horrible.

I've tried all sorts of diff controller assists settings from things to manual to assisted the game just plays horrible no matter what I try and do.

The only thing they have going for them is them is the pace of the game and 'scale' everything else is is far behind fifa as a competitive game imo.

Maybe it's because i haven't really played pes properly since pes6 due to pes feeling so robotic ever since moving to next gen.

Either way I can't get on with this game.
  • leon1309
    4202 posts National Call-Up
    Go through the tutorials to better understand pes mechanics. It does not Play like FIFA.
  • joehuk
    leon1309 wrote: »
    Go through the tutorials to better understand pes mechanics. It does not Play like FIFA.

Makes no difference if I know commands but still impossible to pull of due to poor animstions,responsive etc etc.
  • joehuk wrote: »
    Ok so I've played over 20games of pes over the last week on myclub and I have to say the game is an absolute shambles, how they can try and call this an Esports game I do not know.

Ok, it's your right not to like it. I just tell people to try and learn how to play it and experiment enough. Most of them are being surprised, after a while. It was my case; I used to only play Fifa.

Didn't get used to the commands? Ok. Like the arcadish fast pace and complete absence of human anatomical and physiological limitations? Ok, it's just a game. But the only thing one really can't say (it's not subjective) is that Fifa is a better representation of the real game of football. The only thing it represent accurately is the football field and number of players.

Is it an Esports game? Ok, but based on a fictional environment, with no similar in real life. I prefer the football game.

Believe me, I would like Fifa to be good. In full manual it feels like football (all the superpowers are gone). If there was manual controls FUT...

Makes no difference if I know commands but still impossible to pull of due to poor animstions,responsive etc etc.

Believe me, after a while you learn to read players' animations an to understand what is possible to do. Unbalanced or in a awkward position, the player won't be able to pass or shoot, no matter how hard you press your button (Fifa makes us addicted in pressing the button and the proof of that is that some people had to be advised not to keep pressing it with timed shot on). It's like real life. If the ball is on your back, you'll have to pull it or wait for it to pass before shooting; your foot will not grab it like a hook pulling a powerful shot. After a while you just stop pressing and wait the right moment, i.e. you adapt. The game begins to feel responsive and to do a lot more sense than Fifa. Want a good cross? Face the box. Want a good shot? use the good player's foot, get rid of pressure and open your field of vision (not this under your opponent legs precise shot of Fifa). Want a good pass? Face the direction of the pass, be in balance first. After you get used to this, you won't be pressing the button in vain and shouting out: "this thing doesn't respond!". Yep, it can't, while the ball is still in your back.

But I repeat. Even after getting used, you may not like it. It's a game, after all. You may prefer the click feast. But it is a fact that if they substituted the players in Fifa with mere spheres that can knock the ball, it wouldn't make a difference. Players' animations are just an aesthetic element.
  • FinEverton
    695 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Dont know. Full version of PES feels much worse than its Demo. They changed something and added more speed to the game (or its just me). Dont like it all. Played demo more than +100 games and really enjoyed it. Full version sure looks good but...
  • Ishibum
    12466 posts Has That Special Something
    FinEverton wrote: »
    Dont know. Full version of PES feels much worse than its Demo. They changed something and added more speed to the game (or its just me). Dont like it all. Played demo more than +100 games and really enjoyed it. Full version sure looks good but...

Seen a few folk say that. Kept my powder dry this time and not rushed into buying it as I wanted to see the feedback. So far, it seems to be:

Folk that have moved from FIFA going on about how great it is (may be true or may be Stockholm syndrome)

Regulars saying it's exactly the same but that's fine

Regulars saying it's somehow worse and they took a step back from the demo.
  • joehuk
    Portella wrote: »
    joehuk wrote: »

Believe me, after a while you learn to read players' animations an to understand what is possible to do. Unbalanced or in a awkward position, the player won't be able to pass or shoot, no matter how hard you press your button (Fifa makes us addicted in pressing the button and the proof of that is that some people had to be advised not to keep pressing it with timed shot on). It's like real life. If the ball is on your back, you'll have to pull it or wait for it to pass before shooting; your foot will not grab it like a hook pulling a powerful shot. After a while you just stop pressing and wait the right moment, i.e. you adapt. The game begins to feel responsive and to do a lot more sense than Fifa. Want a good cross? Face the box. Want a good shot? use the good player's foot, get rid of pressure and open your field of vision (not this under your opponent legs precise shot of Fifa). Want a good pass? Face the direction of the pass, be in balance first. After you get used to this, you won't be pressing the button in vain and shouting out: "this thing doesn't respond!". Yep, it can't, while the ball is still in your back.

But I repeat. Even after getting used, you may not like it. It's a game, after all. You may prefer the click feast. But it is a fact that if they substituted the players in Fifa with mere spheres that can knock the ball, it wouldn't make a difference. Players' animations are just an aesthetic element.

Don't get me wrong I fully understand where you're coming from.

I play fifa like this. Face goal to shoot, face the box to cross etc I don't force blind passes,crosses,shots in fifa and don't do it in pes.

But when the game will not let me face goal or turn how I expect a football game to it's fustrating.

Maybe pes has moved far to realistic for my liking?
    Pes6 was the last game I absolutely hammered absolutely amazing game and I feel that was the perfect balance to being arcade type but realism and rewarding.

I'm still playing pes trying to enjoy it and getting better slightly but as of next week I'll be playing fifa again... now if the full game is anything like the demo I will not last the year.
  • AliasMaurice
    1977 posts Fans' Favourite
    PES feels like it's been made on a ps3 and until last year it was.

I play both games and judging from the demo fifa is better.

PES lacks animations with all players and fluidity.

Fifas made a bid improvement this year .let's hope FUT doesn't break it.
  • FinEverton
    695 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Ishibum wrote: »

Seen a few folk say that. Kept my powder dry this time and not rushed into buying it as I wanted to see the feedback. So far, it seems to be:

Folk that have moved from FIFA going on about how great it is (may be true or may be Stockholm syndrome)

I believe that syndrome
    joehuk wrote: »

Don't get me wrong I fully understand where you're coming from.

I play fifa like this. Face goal to shoot, face the box to cross etc I don't force blind passes,crosses,shots in fifa and don't do it in pes.

But when the game will not let me face goal or turn how I expect a football game to it's fustrating.

Maybe pes has moved far to realistic for my liking?
    Pes6 was the last game I absolutely hammered absolutely amazing game and I feel that was the perfect balance to being arcade type but realism and rewarding.

I'm still playing pes trying to enjoy it and getting better slightly but as of next week I'll be playing fifa again... now if the full game is anything like the demo I will not last the year.

Well, if you can play this way, it must be a good thing. I used to play manual when playing offline and it was a very good game. But to do it in FUT is impossible.
  • FinEverton wrote: »

I believe that syndrome

This is a condescending statement and only shows the lack of understanding of Stockholm syndrome. It supposes affection, abuse, exaggeration of the perception of little gesture of kindness. It's much more likely that a Fifa player be subject to Stockholm syndrome. How would PES do it to a new player?
  • Ishibum
    12466 posts Has That Special Something

I believe that syndrome

This is a condescending statement and only shows the lack of understanding of Stockholm syndrome. It supposes affection, abuse, exaggeration of the perception of little gesture of kindness. It's much more likely that a Fifa player be subject to Stockholm syndrome. How would PES do it to a new player?

People purposely ignoring the obvious flaws because they have no other footballing alternative to fall back on ;)

• TheMightyBee
    2121 posts Fans' Favourite
    Gameplay in MYclub is different as you need 100% chemistry for players to feel smooth.
  • SPN1987
    2102 posts Fans' Favourite
    Most people claiming PES gameplay s-hits all over FIFA probably never even tried to play PES. The gameplay to me is just as much as an abomination as FIFA to me. Everything seems delayed, even when it isn't. There is something really off. Most animations seem so unnatural and in slow motion.
  • joehuk
    SPN1987 wrote: »
    Most people claiming PES gameplay s-hits all over FIFA probably never even tried to play PES. The gameplay to me is just as much as an abomination as FIFA to me. Everything seems delayed, even when it isn't. There is something really off. Most animations seem so unnatural and in slow motion.

So true.

Both games are truly horrific in areas.
  • mdizzl3
    12410 posts Has That Special Something
    Been playing PES since release. It's a mixed bag.

Online it is truly awful.

Offline, the game shines. Different styles of football are not only possible but play out beautifully.

I get the points on delay etc, I played FIFA 18 a lot and FIFA 19 a lot until April.

You need to adjust to PES, at first it feels clunky, delayed etc. It's not, it's just different.

I'm playing PES on PC as I'm not playing online and the amount of mods possible in game makes it pretty amazing.

Player FIFA 20 beta and demo. It's ok, it's just too similar to the mess that was 19. I'll be skipping it this year unless this place is flooded with positivity
  • Jboom98
    142 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    So online FIFA 20 wins but offline PES 20 wins both aren't football games anymore 1 is targeted at children/Teens the other is an arcade game sadly a simple football game online and offline no longer exists.
  • Na boa!
    Entrar num fórum pra falar melhor do concorrente... parece coisa da concorrente, e acho que eles não precisam disso!
    Sou FIFA desde 2013! Quando o PES era melhor seus produtores também pararam no tempo e o FIFA evoluiu e eu mudei, quem sabe um dia eu não volte a jogar PES.
    Hoje, a única coisa que me incomoda no FIFA é não haver negociação de contrato para o Manager no Modo Carreira... de resto, jogarei a 100 km/h, com dribles fantasmas, tá tudo certo!
  • O corretor estragou todo meu texto anterior!
    Resumo PES pra mim era melhor até 2012. FIFA melhorou desde 2013, e quem sabe um dia eu volte a jogar PES, mas a jogabilidade do PES 2020 está boa sim.
  • TheMightyBee
    2121 posts Fans' Favourite
    I’m loving PES this year, the gameplay is so good. Every move and pass has to be calculated and the look of the game is incredible.
  • BSDShoes
    1629 posts Play-Off Hero
    I'm digging PES 2020, it's pretty rewarding for the things you do. My only gripe is the loose ball issue which supposedly is getting fixed in the Oct patch. MyClub isn't really worth it unless you're really into building a fantasy club like you would in FUT, Master League is the bread n butter of PES and it's better once you add option files.