OT: Pes 20 demo

Comments

• Retro_G
    29174 posts Player of the Year
    The demo is there now lads for EU.
  • Retro_G
    edited July 30
    Early impressions, dribbling feels a bit stiff, maybe it takes time to master. Refs are too strict, kill the flow of the game. Defending is still prehistoric, wise they'd overhaul defending, it's too automated. Pace of the game feels good. Pass support 1 is terrible, needs changing to pass support 2 at the least. I need bit more time to see if it grows on me, but the only area I'd put ahead of Fifa is that the shooting is better and more consistent.

Graphics are decent, but not as good as Fifa, the kits look like paper-mache. Sound is poor, the crowds don't sound as atmospheric as they do in Fifa. Menus are still outdated, why do they've the white boxes everywhere? They should be removed completely. The main menu when you start the game looks fantastic, this is the way it should be throughout the game. Why is there a box when I'm selecting controller settings/selecting teams, or in gameplan?
    Post edited by Retro_G on
  • JordyCruijff
    176 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Downloaded the demo this morning and played about 6 games, it's honestly terrible. Everything feels way too slow, a player like Messi can't even control the ball properly, shirts and shorts look weird on players, referees are way too strict, stamina on players draining way too fast and the list just goes on like that.

I know it's just a demo and a lot can change on full release but even fifa 19 is better than this imo.
  • George_Cook_Over60
    284 posts Sunday League Hero
    After reading all the chat about PES the last couple of days, i got my copy of PES2018 out, dusted it off and had a few games. I don't think PES will look as smooth as FIFA but even so, it was an enjoyable couple of hours (while wife was watching rubbish tv) No stress, shouting, throwing controllers around or swearing. It's a pity Konami don't grasp this opportunity and make the game rival FIFA.

One thing I did notice though, the info pane only appears when the ball is out of play. Take note EA.
  • Boysie91
    8414 posts League Winner
    I wish they would change the colour of the menu. I struggle to see what I have selected as I am colour blind and had this problem with PES for the last year or two 😠
  • Retro_G
    edited July 30
    Definitely a grower, it's a lot better online against another opponent, refs aren't as strict and you get 10mins a half online. Pass Support 2 has me playing some nice tiki-taka, the A.I. movement is fantastic, recommend getting used to the new camera. Turn off auto faint in controller settings, look at the Iniesta video on the main menu. It explains how to do the new finesse dribbling, it's magic when you pull it off in game, open space for the shot. Give it a few games lads, it's difficult to master and gets better the more you play.
  • Boysie91
    8414 posts League Winner
    I don't think PES works as an online game after playing the demo. I always play against the computer.
  • aliheidari2520
    88 posts Park Captain
    edited July 31
    Retro_G wrote: »
    Definitely a grower, it's a lot better online against another opponent, refs aren't as strict and you get 10mins a half online. Pass Support 2 has me playing some nice tiki-taka, the A.I. movement is fantastic, recommend getting used to the new camera. Turn off auto faint in controller settings, look at the Iniesta video on the main menu. It explains how to do the new finesse dribbling, it's magic when you pull it off in game, open space for the shot. Give it a few games lads, it's difficult to master and gets better the more you play.

we tried very hard to feed back Konami to make passing more free and less assisted, to make the game more skill depended. finally they listened and now you call it terrible! it is not terrible, it is only hard to master. (I am not master either but this is what a football game should be at default setting ! playing tiki-taka should be very hard as in real life football it is very hard and need a lot of practice !)
    I hope they manage to separate online ranking for default setting players in main game. if anyone want to get more assisted controls, that's ok, but he shouldn't be compared with less assisted players.
    I am not usually online player on football games, so I can ignore it ... but I am worry about this kind of feed backs push them to make next version more assisted again !
  • Retro_G

we tried very hard to feed back Konami to make passing more free and less assisted, to make the game more skill depended. finally they listened and now you call it terrible! it is not terrible, it is only hard to master. (I am not master either but this is what a football game should be at default setting ! playing tiki-taka should be very hard as in real life football it is very hard and need a lot of practice !)
    I hope they manage to separate online ranking for default setting players in main game. if anyone want to get more assisted controls, that's ok, but he shouldn't be compared with less assisted players.
    I am not usually online player on football games, so I can ignore it ... but I am worry about this kind of feed backs push them to make next version more assisted again !

If Konami listened to me years ago, PES would be in a title race with Fifa for the most popular football game now. You've to make sacrifices when you're trying to fit a 90 min football match into a 10 min game. Passing needs to be fluid, responsive. You can't ask for more skill dependent passing, when your defending mechanics are as simplistic as simple Simon. It just leads to frustrating interceptions all the time. Do you know anything about balance?
  • KuriosOranj
    170 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I've played the demo and liked the way it plays better than FIFA atm, but it's the thought of it not having ultimate team which is putting me off. I like everything about FUT! Was just wondering if MyClub is that bad? Any info would be appreciated, cheers.
  • Retro_G
    I've played the demo and liked the way it plays better than FIFA atm, but it's the thought of it not having ultimate team which is putting me off. I like everything about FUT! Was just wondering if MyClub is that bad? Any info would be appreciated, cheers.

We should hear more info about My Club soon, they could easily change it up, it's like ultimate team without the SBC's. Top players are easier to obtain, they've online tournaments, games to climb the leaderboard skill rating.
  • Massito2727
    90 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited July 31
    Just played a full match.... PES is such a joke

https://streamable.com/5agpo

https://streamable.com/j4yav

https://streamable.com/h91rk

https://streamable.com/mm1us

lol, they really needed Iniesta for this?
  • FatZed
    865 posts Semi-Pro
    It plays a much better football game. Most people myself included are just used to the fast paced/ frantic and unrealistic arcade FIFA UT gameplay!

Sure it is slower and even for myself I wouldn't mind it being a bit more fast paced and exciting, but it is much more realistic (you can adjust the speed settings slightly).

Overall it is much more technical and reliant on timing, body position, foot position/ planting, ball location and physics where as FIFA none of this matters as much. The players feel more sluggish as they have weight and the above mentioned foot planting and physics makes it harder to just glide around the pitch with speed as you would in FIFA just holding sprint or abusing skills. It is possible but obviously needs more practice.

The animations while I think are better than FIFA don't quite flow and seem a tad sluggish but as above I think it is more due to the physics, foot planting and more realism than being poor animations or the game engine per se.

While I would like the shooting to feel a bit different and dribbling more fluid it does seem to play a good game of football, looks lovely too - especially close up superior to FIFA. Sadly and as with most I think again it will be lacking online and with content and just doesn't have that pizzazz. And unlike FIFA needs many more hours to master and adjust to the games technical nuances. FIFA is just an arcade pick up and play...very noob friendly.

People (most) on here just jump at calling it bad as they are so used to FIFA and don't want to put in the time to learn or compare it, it is a different game!! would love it to get back to its glory days but it still needs improvement (especially online) and something special with regards to how it feels..
  • Zv1k0
    5926 posts Big Money Move
    edited August 1
    Just played my first 3 matches. This is the best dribbling I've seen in a football game ever. The R3 dribbling, R2+R1 dribbling....so awesome. There's no way I buy Fifa over this. And if these are your first PES matches, give it another try before you say it's terrible. Learn the controls and you'll see you feel much more immersed in this game. It actually feels like football. Fifa feels like table football.
  • Zv1k0
    How do you play online? I've been in matchmaking for 10mins and it hasn't found anyone. I have no restrictions for matchmaking...
  • FinEverton
    694 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Zv1k0 wrote: »
    How do you play online? I've been in matchmaking for 10mins and it hasn't found anyone. I have no restrictions for matchmaking...

Hard to find
  • Retro_G

I find games quick, but I'm using an ethernet cable, do search for a stable connection.
  • Retro_G
    This lad here is good for tutorials lads, PES takes a lot of time to master. Think that's why so many Fifa players don't like PES, because they don't play enough to get good.

• aliheidari2520
    88 posts Park Captain

If Konami listened to me years ago, PES would be in a title race with Fifa for the most popular football game now. You've to make sacrifices when you're trying to fit a 90 min football match into a 10 min game. Passing needs to be fluid, responsive. You can't ask for more skill dependent passing, when your defending mechanics are as simplistic as simple Simon. It just leads to frustrating interceptions all the time. Do you know anything about balance?

absolutely I know about balance. the passing in level 1 assisted is most balanced I have seen after pes 2011 and fifa 14 ... it is not like you can't pass ! it is just not easy ping pong passes ... whoever do more practice can perform it better and it is not extremely hard, also not so easy. (some people even play full manual and they can perform decent passing after a while, this one is easier than that because it is assisted but not very assisted ... this is good balance) I haven't big problem with passes being very hard (and I am not very skilled)
    so if you like another level of assisting, it is ok. but they should rank default players separately to make that fair.
  • Zv1k0
    This lad here is good for tutorials lads, PES takes a lot of time to master. Think that's why so many Fifa players don't like PES, because they don't play enough to get good.

Yeah this is where I learnt. The only problem I have now is intercepting. Is there a button or something? I read so many passes and the ball still goes right by my player. Just like in Fifa. That's the only downside I've noticed after 20-30 games. Gameplay in general is amazing.
  • Massito2727
    90 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited August 2
    The ref in PES when gives a penalty doesn't indicate the penalty spot

Screenshot-20190802-200223.jpg

:D :D
  • Retro_G

Yeah this is where I learnt. The only problem I have now is intercepting. Is there a button or something? I read so many passes and the ball still goes right by my player. Just like in Fifa. That's the only downside I've noticed after 20-30 games. Gameplay in general is amazing.

Use super cancel to get in the lane, then either slide/stand tackle with Jockey. You super cancel with R1+R2, Jockey is R2 if you're on default controls. I personally change my controls so that dash is on R2 like Fifa, Special controls are on L2, feels more natural.
  • Zv1k0

Use super cancel to get in the lane, then either slide/stand tackle with Jockey. You super cancel with R1+R2, Jockey is R2 if you're on default controls. I personally change my controls so that dash is on R2 like Fifa, Special controls are on L2, feels more natural.

Yeah I have it on alternate too. What is special cancel? What does it do off the ball?
  • Retro_G

Yeah I have it on alternate too. What is special cancel? What does it do off the ball?

Did you mean super cancel? It makes your player free, so he can move in any direction on the pitch. The player isn't on rails anymore, if that makes sense.
  • FinEverton
    694 posts An Exciting Prospect
    The more I play the more I enjoy. Need much time to adapt.

Scoring is really hard (online & super star level). Missing sitters a lot.
  • Shaanxz
    20482 posts Club Captain
    The referees kill the flow of the game completely. Also if you’re struggling with finishing, switch to advanced shooting
  • BSDShoes
    1625 posts Play-Off Hero
    Just checked out PES 20 demo today and first impression is that it's amazing, the animation is so fluid but I notice a slight input delay though, probably vsync was turned on. The ref gives me fears of repeating PES 2016 all over again with the blind/asleep refs.

Too early to put out a verdict though, I've been snuffed by demos in the past, mostly from EA.
  • Zv1k0

Did you mean super cancel? It makes your player free, so he can move in any direction on the pitch. The player isn't on rails anymore, if that makes sense.

Yes super cancel. But how does this help with intercepting? I guess I'm just mistiming the tackle. Or do you have to hold L2 while you are doing it?

Also, is super cancel meant to be used for cancelling the pass you don't want to do anymore? For example if you are locked on the ball but you don't know that so you press pass button to tackle. Then you realize you are locked and your player will make the pass in the direction you were holding before which is now a bad idea. Can you cancel that with super cancel or in any other way?
  • Retro_G

Yes super cancel. But how does this help with intercepting? I guess I'm just mistiming the tackle. Or do you have to hold L2 while you are doing it?

Also, is super cancel meant to be used for cancelling the pass you don't want to do anymore? For example if you are locked on the ball but you don't know that so you press pass button to tackle. Then you realize you are locked and your player will make the pass in the direction you were holding before which is now a bad idea. Can you cancel that with super cancel or in any other way?

You super cancel to get into the passing lane. Then just hold jockey, either stand tackle/slide tackle to intercept the pass. Watch this video, it will explain super cancel more in depth for defending.

• Zv1k0

You super cancel to get into the passing lane. Then just hold jockey, either stand tackle/slide tackle to intercept the pass. Watch this video, it will explain super cancel more in depth for defending.

Thanks! So Jockey on alternate controls is R1? The same button for controlled shots?