OT: Bale moving to China

Bobo23
804 posts Semi-Pro
edited July 27
While I think we all agree that Bale isn't the player he was a few years ago. I just feel it's still such a terrible way to end his career by moving to China.

Sure his bank balance won't be complaining earning 1m a week. But whether he's earning 300k a week somewhere in Europe or 1m in China, he was hardly going to be poor. Such a waste of the end of his career imo.

Comments

• Killer_Snake2017
    1608 posts Play-Off Hero
    Bobo23 wrote: »
    While I think we all agree that Bale isn't the player he was a few years ago. I just feel it's still such a terrible way to end his career by moving to China.

Sure his bank balance won't be complaining earning 1m a week. But whether he's earning 300k a week somewhere in Europe or 1m in China, he was hardly going to be poor. Such a waste of the end of his career imo.

I know...
    For some people it's all about the money...
    And for those people Bale, Sanchez, EA...
    They always miss what's important
  • Bobo23
    804 posts Semi-Pro

I know...
    For some people it's all about the money...
    And for those people Bale, Sanchez, EA...
    They always miss what's important
    Exactly, being a professional footballer is something very few people are privileged enough to experience. It should then be about competing in the top leagues with the best players while still earning a stupid amount of money. Moving to somewhere like China is such a poor decision, especially a player of Bale's quality.

• Bobo23
    804 posts Semi-Pro
    edited July 27
    Ishibum wrote: »
    What some people tend to forget is that not all footballers actually like football and see it as a job. Now, if you have an employer offering you a mill a week, You're taking it. No brainer really
    If you're in any sport and not enjoying it at any level, you really shouldn't be playing it.

• Killer_Snake2017
    1608 posts Play-Off Hero
    What some people tend to forget is that not all footballers actually like football and see it as a job. Now, if you have an employer offering you a mill a week, You're taking it. No brainer really
    If you're in any sport and not enjoying it at any level, you really shouldn't be playing it.

Well unless you're making a helluva lot of 💰.
    What people forget is some people stop liking football and never get their love for the game back (not me)
    But since they're so good they can't quit.
    See: Danny Rose.
    So they treat it like a job and take the biggest pay day.
  • WarrenBarton
    7630 posts League Winner
    He’s achieved more than most top players could only dream of.
    It’s not like he’s shown a lack of ambition with his previous transfers.

I wouldn’t hold it against him personally
  • Killer_Snake2017
    1608 posts Play-Off Hero
    He’s achieved more than most top players could only dream of.
    It’s not like he’s shown a lack of ambition with his previous transfers.

I wouldn’t hold it against him personally

Well...
    He's been hanging around at Madrid for a while to long now.
    He should be playing in England/Italy with a top team...
    Imagine Mo Salah moved to China, theirs be riots.
  • BeastlyHusla
    2795 posts Fans' Favourite
    Im not sure saying hes moving because of money is factual. We've heard him say numerous times, he wants to stay but Zidane and Owner wanted him gone. He's done alot of Real Madrid even being injured.

Real Madrid have done him wrong.
  • spy
    526 posts An Exciting Prospect
    From what you read he didn’t embrace the culture in Spain at all and was back in Wales at every opportunity - I can’t imagine how he will get on in China!
  • Bobo23
    804 posts Semi-Pro
    The thing is he's still only 30, sure he'll be the star name in China. But he could have been the star name at a lot of clubs in Europe, just seems such a waste to end his career so early at the top top level imo. You can't blame him concerning the money, but most players who move to China only regret it in a year or two.
  • Dijkstra
    156 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    The thing is he's still only 30, sure he'll be the star name in China. But he could have been the star name at a lot of clubs in Europe, just seems such a waste to end his career so early at the top top level imo. You can't blame him concerning the money, but most players who move to China only regret it in a year or two.

Most players regret? Evidence, numbers plz
  • BeastlyHusla

Who's going to buy him in Europe pay that much in wages knowing he's injury prone? Look at Fekir.
  • Futfanatic
    12939 posts Has That Special Something
    Im not sure saying hes moving because of money is factual. We've heard him say numerous times, he wants to stay but Zidane and Owner wanted him gone. He's done alot of Real Madrid even being injured.

He can take a wage cut? The move to China is purely money, that’s the only place he can earn the same as he does now at Real, or more. Don’t kid yourself that this isn’t about money.
  • Invincibility
    3827 posts National Call-Up
    If he moves to a club in Hong Kong I would do it also... Hong Kong is an Amazing city to live in
  • VladimirSochi
    605 posts An Exciting Prospect
    “He should be playing football for the love of the game, not money”

-every middle aged video game player that was never offered offered 1 million a week to play football

We as fans are passionate about watching great leagues, high level competitions etc. Well, players are too. But at some point you realize you only have a few years left to make money that 99.9% of us could only ever dream of making and if you are sensible about life after football, you would realize it’s the smart thing to maximize this opportunity.

I hate when fans act like world class players owe us something. You think Bale should value giving us another champions league run for our entertainment more than giving his children and future grandchildren another 20 million so that they absolutely never have a financial worry in their life?

As someone who has never even been a Bale fan, I say good for him. Sucks to see him go, but if you can take the money, you go take it. Happy for him. Dude has given an awful lot to his fans already. Make that money while you still can
  • BeastlyHusla
    Futfanatic wrote: »

He can take a wage cut? The move to China is purely money, that’s the only place he can earn the same as he does now at Real, or more. Don’t kid yourself that this isn’t about money.

Why would he take a wage cut, he got to that position by winning trophies. If I was in his position, id have done the same.
  • limjitwe
    6786 posts Big Money Move
    Futfanatic wrote: »

It’s not easy taking a pay cut...
  • ryan217
    2878 posts Fans' Favourite
    I don't blame him for going there, he's won everything at club level and has spent the last few year getting slaughtered by the media, fans, his manager and his teammates. Can't really blame him for wanting a nice comfortable few years out of the spotlight in China all while getting paid £1m a week to do it
  • Pieman25
    16302 posts World Class
    Nobody else wants him, are you saying he'd be better effectively playing for nobody instead of moving to China?
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    11357 posts Has That Special Something
    Nobody else wants to pay the kind of money he would be looking as he's on the decline and injury prone.
  • DanValletta
    1546 posts Play-Off Hero

I'm under the impression that not many like their jobs. Yet they always use some excuse like "But it pays my bills".

I think It's the same prinicipal. Just bigger bills.
  • You also need to remember that professional athletes’ earnings potential ends/slows when they are in their 30s, so I’d probably think hard about the money, too, to set me and my family and kids up for life.
  • DistinctDwayne
    519 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Why wouldn't he move to China? He has nothing to prove to anyone and is in line for 1m a week so...
  • greggles
    1085 posts Professional
    i would trade 1 mil a week... already won titles and hes not oscars age or someone like that so hes not exactly wasting away compared to what some other players made the decision to do.
  • CustardHippo
    566 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Whilst I personally feel it’s a waste of 2/3 years towards the end of his career and he should be dominating the big stage in Europe - If a company approached me offering to triple my wages for two years in China I’d be at the airport in the hour.

He will never, ever be poor even if he stays in Europe but he has a limited time career and will be more than guaranteeing his families future(s) for many years to come. Anyone here with a family would know how hard that would be to decline.
  • leon1309
    4202 posts National Call-Up
    Whilst I personally feel it’s a waste of 2/3 years towards the end of his career and he should be dominating the big stage in Europe - If a company approached me offering to triple my wages for two years in China I’d be at the airport in the hour.

He will never, ever be poor even if he stays in Europe but he has a limited time career and will be more than guaranteeing his families future(s) for many years to come. Anyone here with a family would know how hard that would be to decline.

This.
  • Gnomenclature
    3156 posts National Call-Up
    Should have come to mls... doubt any team here could afford him though. Probably get him in 3 years...
  • Lightning
    19 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Best move he could have made, he was finished at the top level, nobody wanted him even for free. He has already achieved everything possible in Europe, with injuries piling up its better to relax and finish out his career at a lower level as it’s clear his body can’t handle the strain of the highest competitions anymore.
  • lippyone
    1535 posts Play-Off Hero
    Agree, great move for him, great move for football in China. The world does not revolve around Europe, and staying in Europe would just mean a steady decline.
  • lippyone
    1535 posts Play-Off Hero
    spy wrote: »
    From what you read he didn’t embrace the culture in Spain at all and was back in Wales at every opportunity - I can’t imagine how he will get on in China!

In for some serious culture shock.