Are Icons really worth it ?

George_Cook_Over60
260 posts Sunday League Hero
I've been playing WL, and my icons are pretty useless against some of the teams people have now. (Not complaining btw, good luck to you guys)
I see icons as a bit of a fantasy team but in reality some/most just can't compete with the top players available to buy and get through sbc. Even my beloved Alan Shearer is being dominated by stronger faster CB's.

I know they are useful to get full chem on players but when I look at the stats, they are hugely inferior to most teams I come up against.

I've not played many weekend leagues, and i tip my hat to anyone who does this every week,

I accept i'm not very good, but my players don't help, turning, tackling, running shooting etc etc.I understand that at times everyone rages at their players for not doing what they are asked to, but to me it appears to be happening every game in WL.
I enjoy playing with icons, but a lot of the time they just ain't up to it. Hello transfer market.

Comments

• Denz
    2030 posts Fans' Favourite
    Depends which icons, most of mine are more than good enough. The top ones always will be.

Majority of them are just a waste of time though. I can't imagine shearer being great in game at any point. Just doesn't suit the game they push at us.
  • Crysister
    960 posts Semi-Pro
    I promise they are good the first 5-10 games...
  • George_Cook_Over60
    260 posts Sunday League Hero
    Denz wrote: »
    Depends which icons, most of mine are more than good enough. The top ones always will be.

Majority of them are just a waste of time though. I can't imagine shearer being great in game at any point. Just doesn't suit the game they push at us.

That's what i've been thinking, i don't have millions to fill my team with the top ones. Shearer has scored hundreds of goals for me, but not in WL (mostly SBattles)
    You're right about how the game is now, seems to be about pace and skills.

Thanks.
  • Denz
    2030 posts Fans' Favourite
    Denz wrote: »

That's what i've been thinking, i don't have millions to fill my team with the top ones. Shearer has scored hundreds of goals for me, but not in WL (mostly SBattles)
    You're right about how the game is now, seems to be about pace and skills.

Thanks.

There is only a couple of the cheaper ones which will be "worth it". Otherwise if possible just go for the big ones, save if needed.

However it's ultimate team, and if shearer is your idol then why not, the linking ability also has value of course, he just won't be very good in game. If he had the celebration even that might be something.

• SimenHP
    1921 posts Fans' Favourite
    Icons aren't worth it (except Eusebio sbc which is maybe the best ST on the game and cost only around 1.5m)

I use icons, because they are fun to use and the team look a lot cooler in the menu :wink: , but I could get the same result with a 2m tots squad as I do with my 10m+ icon squad (PIM Cruyff, Prime R9, Eusebio, Best, Blanc, R10, Gullit, 91 Alonso, Toty VVD, 95 Ramos and 90 Lafont) I have tots Aouar and tots Goretzka on the bench and they are both better midfielders compared to Best, but I still use Best because tots players are boring to use, while icons are fun
  • DannySTFC
    989 posts Professional
    Depends which icons they are. I got rid of prime Nedved as he wasn’t cutting it about three months ago. Still using PIM Best, prime Eusebio, PIM Blanc and PIM Socrates, all very good.
  • lippyone
    1140 posts Professional
    DannySTFC wrote: »
    Depends which icons they are. I got rid of prime Nedved as he wasn’t cutting it about three months ago. Still using PIM Best, prime Eusebio, PIM Blanc and PIM Socrates, all very good.

I like Nedved, as a CAM in 41212 he is great

• 3MenandaBebe
    2251 posts Fans' Favourite
    Depends. Shearer is not the same as Eusebio
  • VelvetThunder
    128 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    PIM Shearer’s shooting stats are unreal, decent for heading too. If you’re doing anything with him other than shooting then you’re probably not using him correctly.

Enjoyment of the game all comes down to winning or losing, if you’re not very good then you’re not gonna enjoy the game as much as someone who is and other players are going to make your players, icons or not, look worse than they are.
  • DanValletta
    1526 posts Play-Off Hero
    If I buy next year's installment of FIFA 17.3 I'll probably just look to build the best past and present squad of a certain team.

Having a god squad gets you nowhere in this game. You still lose to random bs and all gold teams.