"My son spent £3,160 in one game"...

13456710
Hamzy_LFC
2034 posts Fans' Favourite
This alarming case of children racking up huge debts on FIFA highlights considerable fears that gaming is a gateway to gambling, with boys and girls hooked in at ridiculously young ages by loot boxes - Tom Watson

BBC News - 'My son spent £3,160 in one game'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48925623


Comments

  • DistinctDwayne
    437 posts Sunday League Hero
    CeeQue wrote: »
    Parents take those "L's" for having their CC information stored on their devices.

    Yeah there's that obviously. The mot important part is that it's a gateway to a very dangerous addiction.
  • Kouli06
    1579 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited July 18
    They just need to put loot boxes to bed permanently for all games!
    We never use to have this back on the original Xbox or ps2. (Granted I know many didn’t online game back then)
    Even ps3 and Xbox 360 had hardly any games that offered the option buy extras.
    I think mobile gaming played a huge part in the loot box rise personally.
    Also before all this loot box BS games were so much better. Developers had to rely on a quality game to make money on retail sales not just half **** a game an then rely on people with little control to buy extras.
    Even back on ps3 and Xbox 360 when you brought map pack or season pass for COD for example at least you knew exactly what you were getting!
  • Knowlesdinho
    10020 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 18
    I have a solution and that's to have this played before a purchase is made.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=yNY6ZstdUdY
  • Knowlesdinho
    10020 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 18
    IxToMxI wrote: »
    Parents faults for storing credit card information on children’s consoles you cannot condemn stupidity

    EA don’t make people buy points if you can’t control the urge your weak

    People blame everyone but themselves as it’s the easy route, if you addicted to loot box and it’s removed it will be replaced by a new addition.

    Solve your addictive personality and your sorted for life with all aspects not just EA and Fifa

    I absolutely agree with this, but having read the article, there are several instances of vulnerability used as examples, namely autism. It's a difficult one this because I have a brother with Autism and a sister with Asperger's, and as they get older you try to help them cope with day to day scenarios, even to the point that they could live independently.

    When it comes to kids, I think the parents absolutely have a responsibility to be aware of what they are doing on their devices, not just to prevent this kind of thing, but also to protect them from danger. Ignorance is no excuse.

    Vulnerable people are a different thing altogether, and more should be done to protect them. It's not related to this, I'm just using this as an example...some of my customers have dementia, and I'm regularly dealing with fraud cases for them because they have been scammed out of money. Even though we rarely get the money back from the scum that prey on these people, we always refund the customer their money. Companies like these should refund money back when a vulnerability has been identified.

    In short, I think that parents should be responsible when it comes to their children's actions, they are after all in charge of their welfare. If it's a person with a vulnerability, the companies should show more empathy and discretion.
  • OfficerJimlahey
    1676 posts Play-Off Hero
    @greggles spot on. Wanna be mates? 😂😂😂
  • greggles
    692 posts Semi-Pro
    @greggles spot on. Wanna be mates? 😂😂😂

    fwend?
  • Knowlesdinho
    10020 posts Has That Special Something
    greggles wrote: »
    oh and a parent should only have to do casual supervision if the game is rated for 3+ years, in no way form would parents allow kids to play a game that warns, keep your wallet safe this game contains highly addictive mechanics where your child will be in risk of falling into a deep hole. Because then it wouldn't be pegi 3. and i strongly believe Loot box base games should have warning labels on them.

    I disagree with part of this...any game that has online elements requires supervision because you don't know who your child could be interacting with. The game may be pegi 3, but some of the interactions aren't...so that would require action from parents.

    Also even if the game was rated 18 because of what you describe...parents would still allow their kids to play it. There are 8 year olds playing COD...ratings don't stop kids playing games.

    The best solution is to remove loot boxes altogether.
  • IxToMxI
    5488 posts Big Money Move
    IxToMxI wrote: »
    Parents faults for storing credit card information on children’s consoles you cannot condemn stupidity

    EA don’t make people buy points if you can’t control the urge your weak

    People blame everyone but themselves as it’s the easy route, if you addicted to loot box and it’s removed it will be replaced by a new addition.

    Solve your addictive personality and your sorted for life with all aspects not just EA and Fifa

    I think it’s more about drawing attention to spending habits and how the game encourages mass spending. To someone that is unfamiliar with fifa and the type of spending we’ve normalised, £3000 is a phenomenal amount.

    For that kind of cash you should have unlocked everything in the game 10 times over. If you told them you could spend £40,000 over the year (as some have done) and still not unlock everything, they’d have a fit. This game is a cash grab and it’s not even fun to play. The fact it’s had 16 patches tells you it was never fit to be released

    I get the points I just disagree.

    You could blame Sony, as effectively Sony holds the key to the store, why don’t Sony have more parental controls over purchases?

    You could blame the bank, why don’t they flag multiple transactions to the same company as odd spending behaviour?

    Gamblers blame casinos, look at the new regulations around bookies having to reduce the odds of gambling machines for spin Thor games, the bookies do not encourage you to come in people come in yet the bookies are the ones that take the blame not the person.

    Should all pubs close because it’s too tempting for people to become alcoholics, should shops stop selling alcohol, maybe we should all have an alcohol card that only allows us to buy so much a week, no as we we don’t want to be controlled.

    People want their cake and they want to not just eat it they want to scoff it.

    Majority of people would never spend an insane amount of money on a game, parents should teach children early around the value of money etc.

    Maybe we should blame schools for teaching people nothing about real life items, money management, gambling, smoking, effects of alcoholism etc etc

    The blame culture is just insane in the world, people need to take ownership, take control, make mistakes but learn from them, it’s comical that bbc make articles about this and it’s called news, people are starving around the world, people don’t have access to clean water, people have terminal illnesses and are left to cope daily some alone - this fools biggest worry is their kid spent 3k on a game, one word, context.
  • Voodoo_Monkey
    373 posts Sunday League Hero
    Here’s the thing. Let’s say opening ultimate teams packs is eventually deemed to be gambling.

    # 1. In the UK, to operate, you need a gambling license. Without such license is breaking the law.

    # 2. Allowing minors to gamble is also another offence.

    Who remembers the FUT Galaxy saga?
    Those two guys running that site were guilty of both of the above and were lucky not to go to prison.

    Now, I’m not in any way saying EA (for example) are operating a shady website etc to encourage kids to gamble their Birthday/Christmas/pocket monies away. Well...I’m not saying that, but others might.

    Like it or not, there are comparisons.
  • greggles
    692 posts Semi-Pro
    greggles wrote: »
    oh and a parent should only have to do casual supervision if the game is rated for 3+ years, in no way form would parents allow kids to play a game that warns, keep your wallet safe this game contains highly addictive mechanics where your child will be in risk of falling into a deep hole. Because then it wouldn't be pegi 3. and i strongly believe Loot box base games should have warning labels on them.

    I disagree with part of this...any game that has online elements requires supervision because you don't know who your child could be interacting with. The game may be pegi 3, but some of the interactions aren't...so that would require action from parents.

    Also even if the game was rated 18 because of what you describe...parents would still allow their kids to play it. There are 8 year olds playing COD...ratings don't stop kids playing games.

    The best solution is to remove loot boxes altogether.

    last part i agree with. The evidence speaks for itself with the amount of money kids spend on loot boxes. To say that you shouldn't lable something that is harmful to kids and families is a bit wtf to me. Even if that makes 1 kid safe and that 1 mother checking her statements regularly it has made a difference.
  • Alx192
    662 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 18
    I am sorry, but it is firstly the parents' responsibility. The credit cards have pin codes, how do the children know them? If they wouldn't let the information to be taken automatically, the children wouldn't be able to pay for anything.
  • Knowlesdinho
    10020 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 18
    greggles wrote: »
    greggles wrote: »
    oh and a parent should only have to do casual supervision if the game is rated for 3+ years, in no way form would parents allow kids to play a game that warns, keep your wallet safe this game contains highly addictive mechanics where your child will be in risk of falling into a deep hole. Because then it wouldn't be pegi 3. and i strongly believe Loot box base games should have warning labels on them.

    I disagree with part of this...any game that has online elements requires supervision because you don't know who your child could be interacting with. The game may be pegi 3, but some of the interactions aren't...so that would require action from parents.

    Also even if the game was rated 18 because of what you describe...parents would still allow their kids to play it. There are 8 year olds playing COD...ratings don't stop kids playing games.

    The best solution is to remove loot boxes altogether.

    last part i agree with. The evidence speaks for itself with the amount of money kids spend on loot boxes. To say that you shouldn't lable something that is harmful to kids and families is a bit wtf to me. Even if that makes 1 kid safe and that 1 mother checking her statements regularly it has made a difference.

    But what evidence is there...these cases are a drop in the ocean compared to how many sensible parents and children are out there.

    I’m pretty sure that most kids that play FIFA aren’t racking up huge debt on credit cards or draining mummy and daddy’s savings on FIFA points.

    It’s like saying that because 5 alcoholics live in a town, every person in the town is an alcoholic.

    And I say this as someone that is firmly against Fifa points. I just think people need to be wise to the scaremongering of the media, and be balanced when reading these reports.
  • greggles
    692 posts Semi-Pro
    edited July 19
    greggles wrote: »
    greggles wrote: »
    oh and a parent should only have to do casual supervision if the game is rated for 3+ years, in no way form would parents allow kids to play a game that warns, keep your wallet safe this game contains highly addictive mechanics where your child will be in risk of falling into a deep hole. Because then it wouldn't be pegi 3. and i strongly believe Loot box base games should have warning labels on them.

    I disagree with part of this...any game that has online elements requires supervision because you don't know who your child could be interacting with. The game may be pegi 3, but some of the interactions aren't...so that would require action from parents.

    Also even if the game was rated 18 because of what you describe...parents would still allow their kids to play it. There are 8 year olds playing COD...ratings don't stop kids playing games.

    The best solution is to remove loot boxes altogether.

    last part i agree with. The evidence speaks for itself with the amount of money kids spend on loot boxes. To say that you shouldn't lable something that is harmful to kids and families is a bit wtf to me. Even if that makes 1 kid safe and that 1 mother checking her statements regularly it has made a difference.

    But what evidence is there...these cases are a drop in the ocean compared to how many sensible parents and children are out there.

    I’m pretty sure that most kids that play FIFA aren’t racking up huge debt on credit cards or draining mummy and daddy’s savings on FIFA points.

    It’s like saying that because 5 alcoholics live in a town, every person in the town is an alcoholic.

    And I say this as someone that is firmly against Fifa points. I just think people need to be wise to the scaremongering of the media, and be balanced when reading these reports.

    im 23 now, when i was 12-13 i was a victim of falling into the trap myself... I'm living evidence...
    Post edited by greggles on
  • greggles
    692 posts Semi-Pro
    and that drop in the ocean was probably a 500 pound drop for my mother
  • Knowlesdinho
    10020 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 18
    greggles wrote: »
    and that drop in the ocean was probably a 500 pound drop for my mother

    So you’re emotionally invested...and I get that, I see it myself working in a bank. I’ve done chargebacks for Fifa points multiple times over the years.

    But for every one of you, there’s hundreds...thousands of players that aren’t making that mistake.

    I don’t trust the media...they like to scaremonger. This story of children spending thousands is a smaller issue than they are making out.

    It’s like the media reporting in the 90s that people who play violent video games become killers because a small number of teenagers committed murder. Or that listening to metal is what caused a killing spree.

    In isolation these incidents occur, but that doesn’t mean that everyone that plays violent video games or listens to metal is a murderer.

    Anyway, sorry that you were affected by this...the sooner micro transactions are gone the better.
  • Alex_cr
    4279 posts National Call-Up
    Whether you like loot boxes or not, please stop this blame culture!

    There is only one place to lay responsibility and that is with the parents. If your children are too young to know better than to spend your money then it’s on you to make sure they don’t. If your children are old enough to know better and still do it then that’s also on you.

    There is no chance that my children can access any form of micro transactions for any games because simply my card details are not linked to my account. Now my partner got stung for £50 on Roblox - that’s on her.

    You want to call it a gateway to gambling - go ahead. I find that weird but doesn’t mean I’m right. But it’s so important that we start accepting some responsibility in all walks of life because this blame culture is way out of control.
  • Orison
    47092 posts FIFA Cover Star
    All these stories are pretty funny.

    One more stupid than the other, but none of them want to take any blame.
  • Marg09
    184 posts Sunday League Hero
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Whether you like loot boxes or not, please stop this blame culture!

    There is only one place to lay responsibility and that is with the parents. If your children are too young to know better than to spend your money then it’s on you to make sure they don’t. If your children are old enough to know better and still do it then that’s also on you.

    There is no chance that my children can access any form of micro transactions for any games because simply my card details are not linked to my account. Now my partner got stung for £50 on Roblox - that’s on her.

    You want to call it a gateway to gambling - go ahead. I find that weird but doesn’t mean I’m right. But it’s so important that we start accepting some responsibility in all walks of life because this blame culture is way out of control.

    It's 50% parents responsibility, and 50% the game.
  • Kouli06
    1579 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited July 18
    greggles wrote: »
    oh and a parent should only have to do casual supervision if the game is rated for 3+ years, in no way form would parents allow kids to play a game that warns, keep your wallet safe this game contains highly addictive mechanics where your child will be in risk of falling into a deep hole. Because then it wouldn't be pegi 3. and i strongly believe Loot box base games should have warning labels on them.

    I disagree with part of this...any game that has online elements requires supervision because you don't know who your child could be interacting with. The game may be pegi 3, but some of the interactions aren't...so that would require action from parents.

    Also even if the game was rated 18 because of what you describe...parents would still allow their kids to play it. There are 8 year olds playing COD...ratings don't stop kids playing games.

    The best solution is to remove loot boxes altogether.

    Just to clarify the age rating on games is not technically for playing the game it’s actually for buying it.
    I did a short stint in GAME a fair long while ago and you were aloud to sell an 18 game to parents and/or guardians even though it was blatantly for their child.
    We could advise but not refuse.

    Completely different to selling cigarettes and alcohol for example.
  • BiigDee
    4332 posts National Call-Up
    EA & the Parents are at fault, with that being said I guarantee a lot of parents don’t even know how Fifa points work or that there children are being sucked in to it and completely oblivious how much money can be spent on this game. Christ even your bank can contact you if they notice excessive spending yet EA just lap it up. YouTube is also at fault as it gives stupid impressions that children will load up points and pull CR7. Whilst this isn’t just aimed at children it’s all designed to pull people in and encourage them to spend money. I get it’s a business but we all have to admit that the points have taken over and ruined a game that we all once loved.
  • Alex_cr
    4279 posts National Call-Up
    Marg09 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Whether you like loot boxes or not, please stop this blame culture!

    There is only one place to lay responsibility and that is with the parents. If your children are too young to know better than to spend your money then it’s on you to make sure they don’t. If your children are old enough to know better and still do it then that’s also on you.

    There is no chance that my children can access any form of micro transactions for any games because simply my card details are not linked to my account. Now my partner got stung for £50 on Roblox - that’s on her.

    You want to call it a gateway to gambling - go ahead. I find that weird but doesn’t mean I’m right. But it’s so important that we start accepting some responsibility in all walks of life because this blame culture is way out of control.

    It's 50% parents responsibility, and 50% the game.

    I wrote a long reply but sadly I think I’m just wasting my time here. So I’ll just leave it.
  • Marg09
    184 posts Sunday League Hero
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Marg09 wrote: »
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Whether you like loot boxes or not, please stop this blame culture!

    There is only one place to lay responsibility and that is with the parents. If your children are too young to know better than to spend your money then it’s on you to make sure they don’t. If your children are old enough to know better and still do it then that’s also on you.

    There is no chance that my children can access any form of micro transactions for any games because simply my card details are not linked to my account. Now my partner got stung for £50 on Roblox - that’s on her.

    You want to call it a gateway to gambling - go ahead. I find that weird but doesn’t mean I’m right. But it’s so important that we start accepting some responsibility in all walks of life because this blame culture is way out of control.

    It's 50% parents responsibility, and 50% the game.

    I wrote a long reply but sadly I think I’m just wasting my time here. So I’ll just leave it.

    Uhhh ok.
Sign In or Register to comment.