Has anyone actually improved on this game??

Robbo_86
199 posts Has Potential To Be Special
Just out of curiosity, I’m G3/G2 player on WL an when I feel like I can hit G1 then I hit the famous losing streak.
So has anyone been able to surpass there regular rank an stay there?

Comments

• EisenErmin
    5337 posts Big Money Move
    Started Gold 2 in the beginning (some Gold 3) and now i finish Gold 1 almost every time. My best results were like 2 month back when i reached 22 wins 3 times in a row to finish one win short of Elite. So not a huge improvement, but still...
  • Robbo_86
    EisenErmin wrote: »
    Started Gold 2 in the beginning (some Gold 3) and now i finish Gold 1 almost every time. My best results were like 2 month back when i reached 22 wins 3 times in a row to finish one win short of Elite. So not a huge improvement, but still...

Least I know it’s possible, I just feel like a never improve
  • EisenErmin
    Robbo_86 wrote: »

Least I know it’s possible, I just feel like a never improve

Yeah, but in the beginning i had an average squad as everyone else had. Now i have a top tier squad and rarely if ever face a more expensive team.
  • DanValletta
    1524 posts Play-Off Hero
    In 18 it was my first fifa back after a couple of years break. I was g3.
    By the end of 18 I was g1 and couple close calls to e3

In 19 I started off as g1 and now e3 with a couple close calls to e2.

So in short, I think so yes.
  • PelzyWelzy
    9194 posts League Winner
    edited July 18
    I’ve steadily declined in standard last couple of years... from consistent E3 in 17, to G1 with like 2 E3’s in 18 to now... probably gotten more G2 finishes than G1 this year and bottled elite final game once two weeks ago which was the closest I’ve gotten throughout 19.

G3 in 20 following current trend :wink:

I’ve just not kept up with the meta tbh... don’t care enough nowadays to go hell for leather with it.
  • Robbo_86
    PelzyWelzy wrote: »
    I’ve steadily declined in standard last couple of years... from consistent E3 in 17, to G1 with like 2 E3’s in 18 to now... probably gotten more G2 finishes than G1 this year and bottled elite final game once two weeks ago which was the closest I’ve gotten throughout 19.

I’ve just not kept up with the meta tbh... don’t care enough nowadays to go hell for leather with it.

It just seems stupid that you have to have R9, Guilit, Veira ect to be able to get more wins. Yeah I understand that there unbelievable players but would a pro player get Elite with a normal squad or would he have to have his META squad to keep his rank
  • Retro_G
    28117 posts Player of the Year

Similar experience for me, but haven't played a full weekend league on Fifa 19, reckon I'd get Gold 1 easily if I tried. In Fifa 17 you didn't need a ridiculous team to compete because there was no icons on PS4.
  • PelzyWelzy
    9194 posts League Winner

It just seems stupid that you have to have R9, Guilit, Veira ect to be able to get more wins. Yeah I understand that there unbelievable players but would a pro player get Elite with a normal squad or would he have to have his META squad to keep his rank

Nah, most pros would still walk their way to elite with average squads tbh... It's more the way in which the game is played that I've just not adapted to.

Can't stand all this flick up, el tornado crossing, la croquetta, drop back stuff - honest to God, I've not done a single flick up cross/el tornado during 19. Not one. It's similar with la croquetta, used it a smattering of times, probably 4-5 times in total last weekend league tbh to give you an idea. Switched timed finishing off during the demo and never put that on again (I'm still yet to do the timed finishing X box objective which pops up from time to time :joy:).

Apart from at freekicks have never once moved my GK. It's little things like this that sure I could probably incorperate in to my game and get a couple more wins here and there but after years of slogging it away at Fifa, with myself now a little bit older, married, kid, work etc I just don't have it in me to put in the effort required to 'git gud' at these sorts of things :smile:

I'm quite content with my standard in the game to be completely honest. Am under no illusions, I'm no where near good enough to push for elite finishes etc so don't let that bother me. Just kinda get on with it, started from scratch three times this year as enjoy the initial grinding and yeah, do SBC's, open packs (have no problem spending coins on packs for instance, doesn't really matter how I upgrade my team results are still going to be about the same so I just try to have a little fun with it)..

The game's ****, just gotta make what you can out of it and try to enjoy yourself a little.
  • Robbo_86

Nah, most pros would still walk their way to elite with average squads tbh... It's more the way in which the game is played that I've just not adapted to.

Can't stand all this flick up, el tornado crossing, la croquetta, drop back stuff - honest to God, I've not done a single flick up cross/el tornado during 19. Not one. It's similar with la croquetta, used it a smattering of times, probably 4-5 times in total last weekend league tbh to give you an idea. Switched timed finishing off during the demo and never put that on again (I'm still yet to do the timed finishing X box objective which pops up from time to time :joy:).

Apart from at freekicks have never once moved my GK. It's little things like this that sure I could probably incorperate in to my game and get a couple more wins here and there but after years of slogging it away at Fifa, with myself now a little bit older, married, kid, work etc I just don't have it in me to put in the effort required to 'git gud' at these sorts of things :smile:

I'm quite content with my standard in the game to be completely honest. Am under no illusions, I'm no where near good enough to push for elite finishes etc so don't let that bother me. Just kinda get on with it, started from scratch three times this year as enjoy the initial grinding and yeah, do SBC's, open packs (have no problem spending coins on packs for instance, doesn't really matter how I upgrade my team results are still going to be about the same so I just try to have a little fun with it)..

The game's ****, just gotta make what you can out of it and try to enjoy yourself a little.

Yeah I guess they would still abuse the broken mechanics in there favour.
    I’m the same, I don’t even know how to do a El Tornado, nor flick it up. I’ll maybe do a La Croc when I’m 1v1 with full back but that’s it.
    I really do try an enjoy this game cause I love football but it’s gets me so mad when I can see my team just not doing anything.
  • Fifa_Hawk_85
    10992 posts Has That Special Something
    It's hard to know how good you actually are at this game and I don't think WL rank is a fair representation.

Over the last 3 years I've added different things to my game and spent alot more time playing but my WL rank hasn't really changed. From the beginning of WL in FIFA 17 I was always a gold 2/3 player with the occasional gold 1 finish. Now if I play all games I'm a gold 2 player and still occasionally get gold 1.

I can see myself that I've improved at the game and play better football and when I play friends (they don't play UT) it used to always be close games whereas now it's not even close. Yet in WL even though I'm playing a better standard of football I'm being matched against better players than I used to get matched against.

Basically matchmaking decides where you finish as some people improve at the game and their results reflect this and some people improve and their results stay the same. This game just doesn't make sense at all anymore and that's before you take everything else into consideration.
  • Metab0lic
    375 posts Sunday League Hero
    Anything up to gold 3, easy.
    Push for gold 2 and it starts getting sweaty. If I'm on track for G1 you can guarantee I'll have 4 games left to get it, and get it on the last.

If I play properly and spread out my games, my average is 19.5 wins.... so I choose to stop at 14 most of the time. The last 10 games are not worth it!
  • Robbo_86
    It's hard to know how good you actually are at this game and I don't think WL rank is a fair representation.

Over the last 3 years I've added different things to my game and spent alot more time playing but my WL rank hasn't really changed. From the beginning of WL in FIFA 17 I was always a gold 2/3 player with the occasional gold 1 finish. Now if I play all games I'm a gold 2 player and still occasionally get gold 1.

I can see myself that I've improved at the game and play better football and when I play friends (they don't play UT) it used to always be close games whereas now it's not even close. Yet in WL even though I'm playing a better standard of football I'm being matched against better players than I used to get matched against.

Basically matchmaking decides where you finish as some people improve at the game and their results reflect this and some people improve and their results stay the same. This game just doesn't make sense at all anymore and that's before you take everything else into consideration.

Totally agree with you on this. You can’t see yourself getting better cause when you do improve you just get paired against better players. I suppose been a G3/G2 player isn’t bad but I would like a elite at some point 😂😂
  • WarrenBarton
    7076 posts Big Money Move
    I started getting mostly G2 with the odd g1, ended up the other way round before I lost interest a bit a couple of weeks back.

Not a great improvement though
  • HishamAyman
    2840 posts National Call-Up
    S

Totally agree with you on this. You can’t see yourself getting better cause when you do improve you just get paired against better players. I suppose been a G3/G2 player isn’t bad but I would like a elite at some point 😂😂

So if you keep improving, you keep still hitting G2? Nice.
  • ILevis
    687 posts An Exciting Prospect

I think lots of people just heavily underestimate the skill gap between a gold 3 player and a gold 1 player.

Im hitting gold 1 usually when i play all my games and have a few friends who are gold 3 players and i legit beat them by atleast 4 goals everytime i play them. I also have a friend who managed to get elite 2 and i have yet to beat him this year. Not even 1 lucky win, he is just that much better than me.

So i definitely think you improved if you went from sometimes finishing in gold 3 to getting a save gold 2 finish every weekend. Its just that 80% of the playerbase hit gold if they play all games and because of that, you dont see your results improve massively, even if you go from being in top 60% of all players to top 40% of all players. That 20% playerbase jump is probably no more than 2-3 wins in weekend league

(numbers are all just guesses btw, but you get my point i think. Also iirc EA said that top 10% of all players are division 1. and even in division 1 you still have people who cant reach elite in weekend league)
  • EisenErmin
    ILevis wrote: »

I think lots of people just heavily underestimate the skill gap between a gold 3 player and a gold 1 player.

Im hitting gold 1 usually when i play all my games and have a few friends who are gold 3 players and i legit beat them by atleast 4 goals everytime i play them. I also have a friend who managed to get elite 2 and i have yet to beat him this year. Not even 1 lucky win, he is just that much better than me.

So i definitely think you improved if you went from sometimes finishing in gold 3 to getting a save gold 2 finish every weekend. Its just that 80% of the playerbase hit gold if they play all games and because of that, you dont see your results improve massively, even if you go from being in top 60% of all players to top 40% of all players. That 20% playerbase jump is probably no more than 2-3 wins in weekend league

(numbers are all just guesses btw, but you get my point i think. Also iirc EA said that top 10% of all players are division 1. and even in division 1 you still have people who cant reach elite in weekend league)

THIS !

The average Gold 3 player that plays all games is at 14-16 wins / 14-16 defeats = win/loss ratio of +/- 0 (= winning 50% of games, 1 win out of 2 games)
    A Gold 1 player that plays all games is at 20-22 wins / 8-10 defeats = win/loss ratio of +10 (winning 66%+ of games, 2 wins out of 3 games)
  • Robbo_86

I guess that’s a fair point. It would just be nice to see your improvement, not just stay the same rank.

THIS !

The average Gold 3 player that plays all games is at 14-16 wins / 14-16 defeats = win/loss ratio of +/- 0 (= winning 50% of games, 1 win out of 2 games)
    A Gold 1 player that plays all games is at 20-22 wins / 8-10 defeats = win/loss ratio of +10 (winning 66%+ of games, 2 wins out of 3 games)

😂😂 when I play WL an get off to a good start say 4 in 5, I will then get beat a few games, win 1 an end up 5 in 10, happens every week 😂😂
  • Orison
    47092 posts FIFA Cover Star
    Rivals is a better indication of pure skill than wl, because WL is a mental battle as well.

If people stopped raging and blaming the game and instead remained calm and looked at their own shortcomings they would probably jump up 1-2 ranks without any change in skill.
  • Mikeysaio
    175 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Gold 1/2 player in Fifa 18 now i’m a consistent elite 3 player most weeks. I guess this year I just learnt all the meta skills and tricks and implemented it in my game.
  • Robbo_86
    Orison wrote: »
    Rivals is a better indication of pure skill than wl, because WL is a mental battle as well.

If people stopped raging and blaming the game and instead remained calm and looked at their own shortcomings they would probably jump up 1-2 ranks without any change in skill.

You have to admit it is hard to stay calm with this game, it’s never gonna be perfect but it could massively improve.

I have jumped up a few divisions in Rivals but I don’t see that as my improvement. I think a lot of the regular players just aren’t playing so it’s a tad easier.
  • ILevis
    edited July 18
    😂😂 when I play WL an get off to a good start say 4 in 5, I will then get beat a few games, win 1 an end up 5 in 10, happens every week 😂😂

That losing streak is pretty annoying, lots of people get it. Its basically because you started out good and then get matched against strong players.

I basically only every care about my last 10 games regarding my weekend league finish. Those are the ones that count. If you go on a massive win streak early, you get harder opponents and it evens out. If you go on a massive losing streak early, you get easier opponents and it evens out again. Last 10 games are what decide where you finish, first 20 are basically irrelevant. In fact i didnt have much time to play last month so i legit just surrendered the first 10 games each weekend league, making me start 0-10 with 20 games to play. I still always managed to hit atleast gold 2, even went 20-0 once and got gold 1. And this is from someone who hit elite once in his lifetime, so eventhough i went in with such a disadvantage of 10 losses, matchmaking made up for that and i still got my normal finish in the end

What also helps me is first try to reach the form i need to finish on my desired rank. So if i want to finish gold 1, i play until i have atleast 10 more wins than losses. If i can reach that threshhold, i know that i can hit gold 1 because then i only need 50% winrate and the rest of the games will be at that level. Same for gold 2. If you can hit 4 more wins than losses, games probably wont get much harder as the weekend progresses and you only need to keep a 50% winrate.
  • EisenErmin
    edited July 18

I guess that’s a fair point. It would just be nice to see your improvement, not just stay the same rank.

THIS !

The reason is that if you start 5-1 you have a +4 win/loss ratio and get matched with other players with a simmilar recod (5-1, 4-0, 6-2, 8-4,..) And while some of these players are just having a good start like you do, some of them are really good players that will have a record like 10-0, 12-1, 15-2,... a couple of games later. And thats the reason you lose untill you get back to having a worse win/loss ratio and getting matched with other 5-5 players again.

Edit: I am experiencing the same each and every WL. I usually start around 8-2, then 15-5 and then i face all the others with a +10 win/loss ratio. And against these players i can win only half of the remaining games, hich leads to a 20-10 finish most of the time
  • Robbo_86

That losing streak is pretty annoying, lots of people get it. Its basically because you started out good and then get matched against strong players.

I basically only every care about my last 10 games regarding my weekend league finish. Those are the ones that count. If you go on a massive win streak early, you get harder opponents and it evens out. If you go on a massive losing streak early, you get easier opponents and it evens out again. Last 10 games are what decide where you finish, first 20 are basically irrelevant.

What also helps me is first try to reach the form i need to finish on my desired rank. So if i want to finish gold 1, i play until i have atleast 10 more wins than losses. If i can reach that threshhold, i know that i can hit gold 1 because then i only need 50% winrate and the rest of the games will be at that level. Same for gold 2. If you can hit 4 more wins than losses, games probably wont get much harder as the weekend progresses and you only need to keep a 50% winrate.

I’ll bare that in mind. You are right, the first handful of games are irrelevant. I’ve won 8 on the bounce from my last 10 to hit G2 in previous weeks especially if I’ve had a bad start
  • Robbo_86

THIS !

The reason is that if you start 5-1 you have a +4 win/loss ratio and get matched with other players with a simmilar recod (5-1, 4-0, 6-2, 8-4,..) And while some of these players are just having a good start like you do, some of them are really good players that will have a record like 10-0, 12-1, 15-2,... a couple of games later. And thats the reason you lose untill you get back to having a worse win/loss ratio and getting matched with other 5-5 players again.

Edit: I am experiencing the same each and every WL. I usually start around 8-2, then 15-5 and then i face all the others with a +10 win/loss ratio. And against these players i can win only half of the remaining games, hich leads to a 20-10 finish most of the time

Ah right I’m seeing how the matchmaking works now. So it’s probably better for me to have a poor start an finish strong 😂😂
  • EisenErmin

THIS !

Ah right I’m seeing how the matchmaking works now. So it’s probably better for me to have a poor start an finish strong 😂😂

It doesnt matter in the end. If you win 50% of your games on average you would probably have the best gaming experience if you have an even record (1-1, 3-3, 10,-10,...) all the time as you face only players that are winning 50% of their games by the time you get matched against them.

A bad start like 3-7 will match you with others with a - 4 win/loss. So you will have an easy game vs. someone who started 1-5,...
  • ILevis

Something that might actually help is stop playing if you get a great start on friday. On friday if you are at +5 wins, you will face some elite players that are just passing through and winning all their early games. If you wait till sunday those will all have hit better records already and you should on average get matched with worse players the later you play your games
  • EisenErmin
    edited July 19

Something that might actually help is stop playing if you get a great start on friday. On friday if you are at +5 wins, you will face some elite players that are just passing through and winning all their early games. If you wait till sunday those will all have hit better records already and you should on average get matched with worse players the later you play your games

This is very true. Getting matched on sunday when you are 5-0 or 6-1 yourself with players that are 15-10 or 12-7 is way easier than facing Elite players that are 5-0 and will be 15-2 by Friday night.
  • Salvatori
    835 posts Semi-Pro
    I feel like i aint improved at all this year, despite upgrading to a god squad, and loads of people here taking time to try and help me. My game seems to have the same old flaws.......

In WL terms, i have finished G3 i think it was 11 consecutive times, then sneaked G2 last week. Howver that "improvement" came at the same time as my worst run in rivals in months. I had been slowly eeking up, sneaked into Div 3 then just collapsed, barely holding onto the bottom of Div 4 now.

Only played like 2,300 games or something, not like one should improve after that........
  • mway
    There is not too much room to improve in this because it depends not only on your skill but in connection and the game "favors". You can try to do less stupid things but in the end, the outcome is not too different. Of course, there are more skilled players than others but I guess that´s in your genes. You are good or not and according to that you will be able to deal with all the bs or not. And a skilled player doesn´t mean he understands the game better ( in this game football is just an excuse ) More skilled players are those able to exploit mechanics.

If two players that do not exploit mechanics face each other, 85% of the outcome depends on the game "favors".
  • Chavez76
    2495 posts Fans' Favourite
    Started first WL as S1, went into G3 consistent, than G2 consistent and now got into G1 first time.
    I think you can improve indeed.