"The kids emptied our bank accounts playing FIFA"

Hamzy_LFC
2034 posts Fans' Favourite
edited July 9
BBC News - 'The kids emptied our bank account playing Fifa'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48908766

Wow just woke up to this what the hell is going on!?!

Some of patents quotes... "You pay £40 for the game, which is a lot of money in itself, but then the only way to get a great team is essentially by gambling," he said, referring to online play".
"They spent £550 and they still never got their favourite player, Lionel Messi."

Prof Andrew Przybylski, director of research at the Oxford Internet Institute, said more data was needed in order to assess the impact of loot box-style purchases.

"Loot boxes and in-app purchases present parents with a new frontier of challenges," he told the BBC.

"Though loot boxes look like gambling, we won't know what their effects are until these companies start sharing their data with independent scientists.

"There isn't good evidence it is gambling, but the very fact we don't have hard data should be a concern."

Comments

• Jeyj38
    1159 posts Professional
    kcichris wrote: »
    ea: it's normal that kids take hundreds of pounds from their parents bankaccounts to enjoy surprise mechanics the same could have happened with Kinder surprise eggs

At least they dont suffer diabete with EA haha
  • CeeQue
    10597 posts Has That Special Something
    Worth it. If you have your CC stored on you PSN/Xbox Live you take an L.
  • Nazgul
    547 posts An Exciting Prospect
    This is disgusting and something must be done, playing Fifa on Nintendo Switch is disgraceful!

Joking aside, parents do have to except responsibility, parental controls are there to stop this sort of thing happening. I hate the way gaming is going with all the micro transactions but it’s fairly easy to regulate within your own home
  • MurkingFools
    497 posts An Exciting Prospect
    the end is near
  • Hamzy_LFC
    2034 posts Fans' Favourite
    I can see where people are coming from that parents should do this and parents should do that but... At one point this was never an issue... Since every publisher has some form of lootbox in every game it's become an epidemic.

Let's say these kids move on from FIFA what makes you think that the next game won't have some form loot box system?

Even single player games have them, DMC 5 and Assassin's Creed.

You just can't win. That's why not only is it the parents responsibility but also the gaming companies have to share the responsibility.

First things first any game that has in game purchases should be 18+ simple as that. So when a parent goes into a game shop to buy a game for their 10 year he can see it's 18+ and also a label stating it contains in app purchases.
  • selb
    6120 posts Big Money Move
    I don't mean to sound rude and I do not condone this whatsoever but maybe the parents should've put restrictions on the console or, at the very least, removed all payment cards from the system, seems an easy way to avoid your child spending all your money on a game
  • andreens
    659 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited July 9
    Hamzy_LFC wrote: »

Joking aside, parents do have to except responsibility, parental controls are there to stop this sort of thing happening. I hate the way gaming is going with all the micro transactions but it’s fairly easy to regulate within your own home

What do you mean -"easy to regulate within your own home"?Do we really have to start treating our childrens as possible thieves?Or something finally needs to be done with greedy,unethical companies who in the name of profit are ready to create gambling addicts from 5,6,7.... years young childrens?
  • Ishibum
    12141 posts Has That Special Something
    They should have showed the parents the video of that lawyer explaining "surprise mechanics" to that select committee. Would have enjoyed seeing their quotes on that :lol:
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    12811 posts Has That Special Something
    edited July 9
    giphy1.gif
  • Hamzy_LFC wrote: »
    BBC News - 'The kids emptied our bank account playing Fifa'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48908766

Wow just woke up to this what the hell is going on!?!

Some of patents quotes... "You pay £40 for the game, which is a lot of money in itself, but then the only way to get a great team is essentially by gambling," he said, referring to online play".
    "They spent £550 and they still never got their favourite player, Lionel Messi."

Prof Andrew Przybylski, director of research at the Oxford Internet Institute, said more data was needed in order to assess the impact of loot box-style purchases.

"Loot boxes and in-app purchases present parents with a new frontier of challenges," he told the BBC.

"Though loot boxes look like gambling, we won't know what their effects are until these companies start sharing their data with independent scientists.

"There isn't good evidence it is gambling, but the very fact we don't have hard data should be a concern."

They cld have played and bought messi from transfer market
  • Crysister
    960 posts Semi-Pro
    My kid ask for Roblex or V-buck money all the time. I really never let him.
    Sometimes I let him earn some by helping with housework, but its seldom.
    So not defending EA here, but parents need to take responsiblity.
  • selb
    andreens wrote: »

What do you mean -"easy to regulate within your own home"?Do we really have to start treating our childrens as possible thieves?Or something finally needs to be done with greedy,unethical companies who in the name of profit are ready to create gambling addicts from 5,6,7.... years young childrens?

Tbf, it is easy regulate inside your own home, you remove all payment cards from consoles so that there is no way they can access the bank accounts and if they do take your cards then that is stealing and should have the full force of the law brought onto you
  • Ishibum
    selb wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound rude and I do not condone this whatsoever but maybe the parents should've put restrictions on the console or, at the very least, removed all payment cards from the system, seems an easy way to avoid your child spending all your money on a game

I do think parents need to take more responsibility but but I also think it's true that many are totally unprepared for the loot box economics that infests games now. Games are a far cry from the days of "you pay X and that's the full game" that was the case when was a kid. We're far worse off now :(
  • selb
    Ishibum wrote: »

I do think parents need to take more responsibility but but I also think it's true that many are totally unprepared for the loot box economics that infests games now. Games are a far cry from the days of "you pay X and that's the full game" that was the case when was a kid. We're far worse off now :(

Agreed, but there are so many stories regarding this issue now, and it's not just consoles, you got this happening on tablets and phones too, that people should be more than aware of this stuff by now, if not, then, imo, they're just ignorant and possibly deserve this happening.
  • Ishibum

Agreed, but there are so many stories regarding this issue now, and it's not just consoles, you got this happening on tablets and phones too, that people should be more than aware of this stuff by now, if not, then, imo, they're just ignorant and possibly deserve this happening.

You'd expect that but these cases prove a lack of awareness. Anyways, any company that offers a product (such as digital kinder eggs that is definitely not gambling) should have a responsibility to cater for the lowest common denominator of folk buying their product... That would be the folk that don't know their kids can go nuts on the credit card :lol:
  • andreens

Tbf, it is easy regulate inside your own home, you remove all payment cards from consoles so that there is no way they can access the bank accounts and if they do take your cards then that is stealing and should have the full force of the law brought onto you

It is easy!But why you have to do that?Because there's companies like EA,who does everything to make children become stealthy gamblers!
  • selb

It is easy!But why you have to do that?Because there's companies like EA,who does everything to make children become stealthy gamblers!

No, because it's called being a responsible parent! I'm not gonna give my credit or debit card to my 10 year old coz I know full well that all she'll buy are toys and sweets, children have no concept of money or it's worth so why give a child that responsibility?
  • BPLosers
    149 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Not only are the parents stupid to have their C.C. info saved on the console, the kids are stupid if they spent £550 and still don’t have the 295k coins needed to buy Messi.
  • Murphdogz
    1518 posts Play-Off Hero
    Forgot to take me credit card off my kids PS4 and between December and and march my kids took roughly £1200 on FIFA points and GTA.
    But because it was like £30 here and £30 their didn't really notice it until I checked the statement and added it all up.

Worse thing is they didn't realise it was actually taking real money.
  • Azof
    16035 posts World Class
    Murphdogz wrote: »
    Forgot to take me credit card off my kids PS4 and between December and and march my kids took roughly £1200 on FIFA points and GTA.
    But because it was like £30 here and £30 their didn't really notice it until I checked the statement and added it all up.

I mean if the kid doesnt understand the concept of money they shouldnt be playing GTA
  • madwullie
    4110 posts National Call-Up
    This is not eas fault. Its not any games publisher's fault. Parents have a responsibility to educate themselves in all aspects of what their children are doing. It's called parenting.

I would expect as my generation and those after me grow up (I was 5 when I played my first computer game on the zx spectrum 48k) occurrences like this will become rarer as people are more Internet and digitally savvy.
  • Orison
    47029 posts FIFA Cover Star

That's like saying your local supermarket is trying to turn your children into thieves. To keep your credit card details away from your children is the same as you not handing them 1000€ and leave them be.
  • Ishibum
    Azof wrote: »

I mean if the kid doesnt understand the concept of money they shouldnt be playing GTA

I would perhaps argue that letting kids play a game in which they can murder prostitutes is the bigger issue here. Age ratings on games exist for a reason. Not judging though.
  • Orison
    47029 posts FIFA Cover Star

I would perhaps argue that letting kids play a game in which they can murder prostitutes is the bigger issue here. Age ratings on games exist for a reason. Not judging though.

This.

If your kids are smart enough to grasp the concept of what's happening in some of those games sure let them play it even if they aren't old enough, because (apart from the buying restrictions) age ratings are more of an advice than a strict rule on when kids are old/experienced enough to understand what's happening ingame.

But if your kids don't even understand the concept of money to let them play a highly violent parody of american society makes no sense.
  • Azof
    16035 posts World Class

I was maybe too subtle in the way I phrased it.
  • Seanregal
    488 posts An Exciting Prospect

Political correctness gone mad, i suppose i should stop my 6 year old having vodka on his frosties too.
  • Pieman25
    15757 posts World Class
    Strange 1, mine have never stolen my credit card. Feeling like parent of the year right now if it's standard your child steals money from you.
  • andreens
    edited July 9

No, because it's called being a responsible parent! I'm not gonna give my credit or debit card to my 10 year old coz I know full well that all she'll buy are toys and sweets, children have no concept of money or it's worth so why give a child that responsibility?

I am a responsible parent!My credit cards are always in my wallet.My wallet is often left on a table in my livingroom,hence easily accessible to children.I used to have all my cc details stored on console as well.Nothing,never happened!I guess it's because my kids don't play fifa!Also like you said,your 10 year old kid would buy toys and sweets.That's what all "normal" kids would buy.In this case kids don't need sweets and toys.They need blue flears because they increase their dopamine levels!