Alternate red picks format - Discussion

ILevis
1331 posts Professional
I feel like everybody liked the red pick format at the beginning of the year but the crap pack weight meant that you basically never got any useable players.

What bothers me most is how random it is. I hit atleast gold 2 in every weekend league and have pulled 1(!!!) player worth more than 100k at the time of his release (not counting TOTS picks, eventhough all of those were trash aswell). Meanwhile you have some people getting gold 3 once a month rocking red Hazard, Mbappe and Neymar. It sucks for a gold 2/1 player like me but it sucks even more for elite players, who also get trash week in week out.

So i wondered if a system similar to FIFA Mobile would be better

In FIFA Mobile you basically get ranking points that you can save up and exchange for players. For example silver 1 gets 4 points, gold 3 gets 5 points, gold 2 gets 6 points, you know what i mean.

You then can exchange those points for reward players. Lets say for example there was an IF Neymar in the TOTW. You could exchange 40 points for his red version. Bad ranking players could get good cards, but only 1-2 a year and would have to grind more for it, while the elite and top 100 level players could afford to get those high level cards much more often because they get more points each week.

Of course the numbers i listed are bad and only to explain the system, would certainly need tweaking. But in my opinion it would remove the frustrating part of just getting trash the entire year for some players, while still giving low elo players the opportunity to get their hands on desireable cards.

What are your thoughts on this? Or do you like the red player pick system as it is and want to keep it?

Comments

• Jonx88
    953 posts Semi-Pro
    I just don't get why it's not completely random at the moment, like they don't advertise your rewards as having % chance to pack 86+ etc like they do with normal packs, I'm like you have not had a useable red all year ( I always finish Gold1/2) but if it was random we'd surely have a useable one by now?, I think they should be forced to display the % chance so we know what we are grinding towards. I do like your idea for rewards going forward but tbh I'm not getting Fifa 20 after this painful year so not gonna apply to me.
  • ImAtrocious
    2194 posts Fans' Favourite
    I get where you're coming from, but don't really want what you're asking for. I know it sounds dumb, but I'm okay with not having the best players. I don't think I'd enjoy the game as much if the best players were any more easily attainable, and it would get old if everyone had the same stacked team. I've played all the WLs for TOTS, and don't have a single red in my starting team, so it's not like I've done really well with my player picks, but I'm okay with that.

What you're saying is a bit like Fut Swaps, which is something I do really like. If anything, I'd like to keep red picks as they are, and just seem them continue to grow and improve upon the swaps idea.
  • CharlieC
    7419 posts League Winner
    I like the player picks although I must admit that I didn't get a useable player first the first two months of WL. Maybe if I'd either a) played it a bit longer or b) played to more than 14 wins, I might have had a better outcome?
  • ILevis
    1331 posts Professional
    I get where you're coming from, but don't really want what you're asking for. I know it sounds dumb, but I'm okay with not having the best players. I don't think I'd enjoy the game as much if the best players were any more easily attainable, and it would get old if everyone had the same stacked team. I've played all the WLs for TOTS, and don't have a single red in my starting team, so it's not like I've done really well with my player picks, but I'm okay with that.

What you're saying is a bit like Fut Swaps, which is something I do really like. If anything, I'd like to keep red picks as they are, and just seem them continue to grow and improve upon the swaps idea.

Yes, i know what you mean with that.

I feel like most of the fun is upgrading your team and working towards that next great player. If you have a team full of crazy red picks, the game would get stale pretty quick. I just think there needs to be a balance between not getting any useable red picks at all and having so many that you dont need to work towards upgrading your team. And in my opinion that balance is way too far on the not having a single useable red pick all year side.
  • RadioShaq
    16691 posts Moderator
    I would say it’s hard to balance. Making it more of a grind for casuals might make less people play the game. Trading is already the better route and that might push more away.