An exercise in self analysis - Disecting my latest abject Rivals performance

Comments

• nextqprmanager
    3324 posts National Call-Up
    Salvatori wrote: »
    torakun wrote: »
    I'm only division 2, I refuse to go up to div 1 because of the many horror stories I heard of mechanic abusing people, but I will offer you an advice that hopefully help you.

1. You pass without purpose. You pass just to the nearest guy in front without some sort of scheme. You need to create a pattern in your head first as much as you can.

2. Rushing so much, you need to calm down. Rushing won't help you in ANY decision making.

3. Learn your players. You got figo, but you rarely cross with him. You got pele, but you dont "dance" with him, you got Dinho but you forgot that he can dribble fast without any skill moves too, etc.

4. Learn to shoot from many angles. Go to Squad battle, play in Professional difficulties. Try to shoot from many different angles with different players to see which will go in and which angle you can exploit from.

5. STOP changing formation. Find your comfortable one and grow with it. Changing players and formation won't help you, trust me. Because its all about habit and style.

cheers

Nice one man - appreciate it. Passing without a purpose is an interesting one. I have a clear idea once i get around the box what i want to do (keep possession and eventually draw out a defender, create a gap, pass into that gap, score.........) but its a fair point especially in the early phase of build up. Last night i tried to focus on variation - Do a few attacks focussed on building up through the middle, then if that is not succesful, or even if it is sometimes, start to use the wings for 15 - 20mins. I think that part was / is lacking in my game. Basically i noticed watching back vids that opponents were easily predicting which pass i would make, so could cut the passing lane easier. Variation is key to avoid that i suppose.

Dribbling is my other weak point, but i have 2 of the best players in the game to learn with at least in Dinho and Pele. I just need to learn how to non sprint / non skill dribble better, i find im not good at that and i feel so slow and even if i beat the opponent, he can just come back at me.

L1 with LS dribble is good for keeping the ball close.
  • Salvatori
    1008 posts Professional
    Good post. Mirrored my past week a little. I went up to Div 4 with my highest 1400+ Skill points, with new Team. Last night back to Div 5 100-1200 SP.
    I have wired connection but the connection was not good, slight delay in my tackles ; then panic a bit. Also I had one Home Match all night??. I scored own goals twice last night - my way of telling my opponent , its not you thats good!. Also, when passes are not going where I aim - there is no point.
    I will try to slow down also, although fast build up works with my Fitness Team ??. BTW I play 433[3].
    I used to start on 4231 defence, but going 1-0 down, I normally lost the Match, so now I always start on attacking.
    It is certainly a frustrating game - 1 week fine, the next trash.
    Are you still on 433?
    GL

Yeah i think there is always gonna be a bit of up and down, such is the nature of match making. My isssue was i could tell i was back to playing badly.

Connection has to be a part of it, much of the time its a complete shambles, BUT, there are plenty on here who both acknowledge the connection delay and still are able to be significantly better players than me, so i try to put aside the bits that are just "the game being the game" and find the bits where really, i could do better - that is where watching it back is valuabe. IN my notes a couple of times i have had to just say "nothing i could do, game is a mess" but there are 10 or 15 other times where i can clearly see i could ahve done something far better / different.

Slowing things down is key, but only to the right extend. Slow down too much and you just look pedestrian and create nothing. Its more about not rushing and panicking, but knowing when its time to up the tempo.

As the guy above you pointed out to me though - at some point you need to stop messing about with formations and CT etc - Get something you are comfy with, accept that you still will lose a few games but stop tinkering. For me, fast build up is pretty suicidal especially to start a game on. Your players bomb forward and it makes it difficult to retain the ball and when you lose it, you can be easily picked off. Especially in the 433 where fast build up can send all 3 of your CMs bombing on.It works for good players, or at specific game times, but i personally would never start with it.

Yes i stick to 433(5) as my starting tactic. If the opponent has me "sussed" a bit with that, i flick to 4321 for a spell and try to play a bit different to get him off guard. Sometimes it works, sometimes the other guy is just too good for me :)
  • Salvatori
    1008 posts Professional
    I honestly give up on this game at times :D Did all this work last night, dragged myself up to be better.

Came on tonight, before i even started i read back over most of this, watched back a bit of the vid and a bit of a 2020 SR players vid in another thread. Ready to go on and play the same way.

3 games, 3 losses. Watching my players get bullied by far weaker and inferior ones, my fast players unable to catch opponents slow players, and most of just not able to get a pass away. Opponents having 16 - 20 tackles because they can just lunge at me and i cant do owt...........killing me :D

All this work and you end up back at the conclusion that the game will do what it wants to you :D
  • nextqprmanager
    Salvatori wrote: »
    I honestly give up on this game at times :D Did all this work last night, dragged myself up to be better.

Came on tonight, before i even started i read back over most of this, watched back a bit of the vid and a bit of a 2020 SR players vid in another thread. Ready to go on and play the same way.

3 games, 3 losses. Watching my players get bullied by far weaker and inferior ones, my fast players unable to catch opponents slow players, and most of just not able to get a pass away. Opponents having 16 - 20 tackles because they can just lunge at me and i cant do owt...........killing me :D

All this work and you end up back at the conclusion that the game will do what it wants to you :D

That`s the thing - Fifa is a computer game, programmed with stats, so if like most of us, you should be analyse & improve BUT the game is not well made.
    Look at Italian Stallion`s videos if youve got time?.
  • Salvatori
    1008 posts Professional
    Yeah it feels so dam random. After the earlier horrid gameplay, i went off to play other games for a few hours and do real life stuff. Then i ended up on pro clubs with mates for a couple of hours and that was horrible as well........so thought i probably shouldnt go back on FUT......but i did.

3 easy wins in a row. Playing exactly as i wanted, players responsive to first time pass requests, the odd quick skill move, lovely finishing........back to how it was 2 nights ago :D

I did get absolutely karma'd in what would have been my 4th straight win though. Was beating a guy 3 v 0, pretty easy really. He was a skill wh*re but not good at doing them in the right areas. He had TOTS Aouar and all he did was try skills repeatedly with him 30 yards out then immediately try to shoot with him. He scored none of those and i picked him apart at the other end with Pele and Bruno for 3 easy goals.

Near the end though, he started being a bit of a **** and doing pointless skills to try and troll me, then trying to hack me down whenever i got the ball. SO in the 92min, he shot from miles away and my goal kick which would end the game. I let myself get childish though, and after his antics decided to make him wait. I paused the game for no reason. However after about 10 secs i realised i was being childish and unpaused.........immediate game freeze and kicked off the servers.

Turns out my net went down right at that moment :D Totally my fault, and absolute Karma for being stupid enough to do the childish pause and wait thing! Lesson learned......
  • nextqprmanager
    I built my same Team in a new formation last night 4231 [2], new Ct`s / instructions - gameplay / played really well, 1 loss = prob my fault, but 6 wins. ???????? ( Neymar shone though as CF , rather than LW ).
    maybe 433 [3] was too open for me. I do honestly feel , that because of Tots, better Players` have returned.
    I was beating Div 4 last week, now having really hard games Div 5.
  • CharlieC
    6738 posts Big Money Move
    I built my same Team in a new formation last night 4231 [2], new Ct`s / instructions - gameplay / played really well, 1 loss = prob my fault, but 6 wins. ???????? ( Neymar shone though as CF , rather than LW ).
    maybe 433 [3] was too open for me. I do honestly feel , that because of Tots, better Players` have returned.

I built a new team recently and was doing well with it. They all seemed to be available for passes and that's when the game is easy but last night all my passes were going astray and I just didn't have anyone available for an easy pass and was getting closed down by three players each time. The other teams I was playing also just seemed faster and that's ridiculous because I have a good team.

I don't know what the issues are. I wish I did or at least I wish EA did and they would fix them and make it consistent because its infuriating at times.
  • nextqprmanager
    CharlieC wrote: »

I built a new team recently and was doing well with it. They all seemed to be available for passes and that's when the game is easy but last night all my passes were going astray and I just didn't have anyone available for an easy pass and was getting closed down by three players each time. The other teams I was playing also just seemed faster and that's ridiculous because I have a good team.

I don't know what the issues are. I wish I did or at least I wish EA did and they would fix them and make it consistent because its infuriating at times.

the lack of consistency is frustrating
    maybe "its in the game", because EA want us to keep changing everything all year !