An exercise in self analysis - Disecting my latest abject Rivals performance

Salvatori
648 posts An Exciting Prospect
So i was asking in another thread if people are actually sad enough to do this (spoiler - i am sad enough). Having already done my two "woe is me, help me im rubbish" threads, figured it was about time i did more to try and help myself.

So brief background, as i my way (can sort of tell i am a project manager by day...).
  • I have a stupid god squad
  • A week or so back i was getting so bad at the game, had dropped to Div 5 on about 1100 skill points. Was just a mess.
  • So i posted a "help" thread and people responded. People helped, they gave me ideas / tips and i took those away and tried to implement them.
  • After that, i went back up to Div 4, up to near 1400 Skill points and 10 - 5 for my first 15 WL games. In short, i was getting a good bit better and somewhat enjoying it
  • Then it all went to ****. WL turned on me and in playing the odd rivals game it just got worse and worse. By the end of last night, i was back in Div 5 and on 1180 Skill points. Basically back where i started a week ago. I was also playing terrible. This was not being robbed by hitting the post 5 times, i was just getting taking to the cleaners

So i jumped on Rivals today feeling refreshed and ready for a clean start. Thinking maybe the frustrations that come with the 30 WL games had impacted me a bit. Either way, i had decided i was going to record all of my first game and watch it back taking constant notes. For reasons that are unclear, i figured i would also bore you all by posting it here......

Now i know many of you will say "just play the damn game man, stop wasting everyones time with long boring threads".....which is fair, but hey otherwise your just gonna read about everyones rage at the game or how unfair EA are with SBCs or "who is better".

So onto the game. Will post the full match vid together with my scribble notes, which are honest and self critical at times. First a couple of points about the game:
  • This was Div 5 rivals - I find it hard to believe this guy is really in Div 5 fwiw, but maybe i am just that bad
  • I played with 433 (5) throughout - the formation that got me from 1100 to 1380 skill points last week
  • CT are fairly basic here. For this game i was on Balanced and 5 /4 for defence and Possession with 7 / 5 for attacking as i recall
  • Player instructs also exactly what i used when it was going well - 1 FB on "join attack", other on "balanced", CDM on all "stay back" type instructions and both CMs on "get forward" variations. One winger on "stay wide" and one on "cut inside"
  • as you will say, the opponent has a very weak team, including a 78 rated DC!

So, on to the masterpiece itself...........

And now my first half notes:

Min 1 – Get pretty lucky by just how much R10 dribbles. Tried way too many skills and was lucky it ends up with Carlos. Then good choice of skill / move with Carlos. Passing options are now limited (NB – where on earth is Socrates going round the back of Carlos….). Pass option is not terrible, however you can see I have tried to execute a first time shot. This was likely not going to be a goal but had little other option. Made all the worse by the fact my shot does not come off, but the player takes a touch, a horrible one, then still shoots. Combination of delay and also me not reacting to turn the shot into a fake.

Min 4 – 5 – A nice bit of passing from him, and some fruitless attempts by me to block lanes with Paddy V. In the end I do just succeed in blocking the very final one. Not sure how to better defend situations like this. If I constantly player switch, I just look a mess. But when I try and block lanes im never in the right place. Then cleared to the wing but R10 gets immediately closed down by an AI controlled player – he is either on constant pressure or has his fullback on aggressive interceptions. I should have first time released a pass to Socrates

Min 8 – After some reasonable build up, played into Bruno but it needed a first time pass to Socrates who makes a great run. As soon as Bruno takes a touch, the passing lane is gone and the move fails. I needed to see the run quicker and execute immediate pass

Min 11 – as we start to break, bit of a needless skill with Bruno, but then plays a pass to Pele. When the pass is released, Pele has 3 or 4 yards space around him. However between the ball being released and it reaching pele, he manages to player switch to his DC and charge in and intercept – KEY POINT 1

Min 13 – Nice enough interception and break starts. However when Pele plays it to Socrates, I lose the ball in a manner which constantly haunts me. It looks like I was holding down sprint as I received the ball which creates the heavy touch, and again he is on point with the quick player switch and immediate aggressive move by the defender. However if I was not sprinting then at least I have a chance to control it and move out the way.

Min 16 – Terrible passing choice here, going backwards with Paddy V and easy pass option on backwards or to the left wing again. No idea what I was thinking in trying this pass.

Min 17 – Socrates receives it and is under immediate pressure. Easy passing options to his left, either back to Carlos or more aggressively into feet of R10. I got distracted by the run of Vieira (why is he making that run???) which made me second guess and try and extra turn to be able to find his run. Should have taken the easier option

Min 19 – We win the ball but it breaks to Blanc and because a second earlier I was controlling someone chasing back, my left stick is still going back which means when blanc gets the ball, he immediately loses it. Bad play, we then get a bit lucky that we are in position to make another tackle, unlucky that I make the tackle and it bounces back to him, then lucky enough that VVD is there for another tackle. Not great play overall but not the worst

Min 20 – Keeper distribution error (common issue). I wanted to just gently roll to Blanc to immediately send to Da Costa, but must have powered up to much as it goes infront of blanc and although we avoid immediate disaster, its another possession turnover.

Min 23 – Switch of play opens things up and Carlos has a clear passing lane to R10. Hit a power pass to ensure it gets there, but somehow he still player switches and manages to get into the passing lane before it can reach R10. Genuinely no idea how he manages this, maybe I took the predictable pass but I didn’t feel I did much wrong

Min 27 – Struggling badly in the game so I decide to keep it a bit at the back, and in doing so immediately notice he is constant pressing with a lot of players. This opens up a bit of space for me to play a well timed direct pass, then break into space. Get slightly lucky that Bruno is not tackled (how is there such a big pace difference between him and Matuidi?) then we work it well to R10 who wins a pen. (btw…..no card…..)

Min 29 – Now this annoys me. I know the Pen “cheat”, so I always aim one side then during the run up move to the middle or other side. I swear on anything I did this during the run up but the arrow doesn’t move and it’s a save ☹ I am 100% blaming the game for this.

Min 32 – After winning it back, I am remembering the constant press thing so decided to try and take advantage again with a bit of possession then quick switch. Mistake I made here was trying it on Carlos’s weak foot. Stupid error costing me possession

Min 39 – After a short FK, work it back to Bruno in space on the edge. I should have taken the shot given his shot power, but instead I try and over work it. Not sure what happens but I tried to pass left to Pele and the ball goes right. Looks like maybe blocked. Lesson is don’t overplay, sometimes just hit it

Min 40 – Work it wide to R10 after wining it high, but he anticipates I am going to cut inside rather than sprint forward. Too predictable I guess

Min 42 – Work it wide then into Pele’s feet which is intentional, put the shield on then intended to flick it to the rushing midfielder. However in the course of shielding, somehow Pele gets turned around and is facing goal, which confuses me (as I had not tried any turn) and lets him nick the ball back. Maybe first time pass backwards was on rather than hold it.

Min 45 –Second occurrence of this – Pele has 3 or 4 yards space so opt to play into his feet. Again he can react by player switching then charging in, whilst Pele waits on the ball ☹ KEY LEARNING. Also I then try to immediately win it back with pele and I do, but the game has registered my tackle attempt from a second earlier and turned it into a shot. Ugh

Min 46 – Get lucky as he makes an error. Decide to wait for R10 to make the run and play a nice pass but unfortunately the first touch is mega heavy because of Sprint. Not sure I could have been not pressing Sprint there, but maybe I could and just hit shot as soon as I released the pass

HT – 2nd half to follow………

Will post the 2nd half then some overall learnings and stats analysis in the next 2 posts. If you aint given up or thought "this guy....." already :)

Comments

• Salvatori
    edited June 17
    47mins – Get to Carlos in space and decide to drive infield and look up for a pass to Bruno, but by the time I look up for the pass, its too late. Woeful play, far to slow to react / make a decision

49mins – Finally some decent play and Figo is in behind, cut in rather than cross and I see R10 at the back stick and I swear I aimed the pass to him ,powered it up quite a bit though and instead it links it to Pele who is covered. Infuriating and happens to me far to often with passing choices. JUST PASS IT WHERE I AIMED GODDAM

53mins – win it back and pass it out to R10. Blindingly obvious easy pass the way he is facing is on but for some reason I take a touch, presumably thinking of what pretty R10 specific skill to do now, and of course lose the ball. Terrible by me and predictably costs me a goal.

Edit – actually watching this a 2nd time, I do try and power up a pass with R10 (can see the power bar) but for whatever reason the game refuses to release it. Maybe I was a tiny bit slow in trying it but clearly lag plays a bigger part than I expected here

57mins – Start to build up a nice move, but again R10 is closed down before he can even do anything. At this point I should have realized how aggressively he is closing down and there is never going to be time for a touch so get more into first time passes in the final 3rd, or immediate skill moves (Which I am not good at – never correctly executed a fake shot first touch in my life)

60min – Trying to build out from the back, but aimed the pass to Bruno who is 10 yards or so away and probably a decent option, somehow it links to Pele who is totally marked. Common issue and not sure how to solve this

63min – At this point im starting to get annoyed by the game. Here I aimed the pass to Carlos, who is in a mile of space but the game links it back to the defender who is marked. I wish you could get that controller overlay on a standard match to show this but the worst about it is I clearly let it impact how I play for the next 10 – 15mins

67min – Hey look, very occasionally I can string together some decent skills and moves. Seems a nice enough move until I play it into Pele and………it rolls under his foot? Wtf is going on, I didn’t press a thing. And I 100% did not press the slide tackle button. I genuinely thought I had been given a penalty until I got into the pause menu and saw Pele with a yellow here. Really not sure what I can do about things like this other than shrug them off more and not let it impact how I play

67 – 75mins – You can actually tell I am playing angry here. Charging out with VVD and over pressing buttons which leads to a pass to no one then a hoofed clearance just after. I needed to just shrug off the weird fifa stuff from before and focus, particularly since I was only 1 down at this stage.

76mins – Ugh, another fault of mine. Over used of “contain” / X button at times when trying to block tackle without actually pressing tackle. It does nothing defensively, I am better off just running into players but because I have contain pressed down, when I do win it, it translates that to an immediate pass, in this case to no one in particular. From there he gets a bit lucky I guess with the rebound, but I made my own problem with the stupid clearance.

77min – Cringey play. Clearly annoyed and I even get stupid lucky in getting it back twice, but by then ive done the same as above – held down X to try and tackle needlessly, which leads to me just kicking it out. This is one of the worst bits of play all game. You can basically tell my head is gone by now

81mins – Complete indecision. Start a run with Carlos, but because R10 seems to get covered, I make no decision and he is able to tackle me (although seems like a foul to me!)

84min – My word, what a huge space for R10. I pressed for first time pass but it somehow delays it and by then he has had to check back to stay onside, and when it reaches him I proceed to………do nothing, still annoyed at the pass not going first time. Wasted chance to do something

86mins – Another common problem here, I favour the cut back rather than cross, but then I wanted the pass to the edge for one of the 3 men there, but when I try this is always links to someone in the box, who is nearly always marked so the chance is gone.

Ft – well, that was just absolutely terrible. Will do another post in a bit with the match stats but anyone who suffered the pain of reading that, I apologise………..
    Post edited by Salvatori on
  • Salvatori
    for final analyssi
  • Empyrium7
    2384 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 17
    few tips from the first 20 min ingame

- you are sprinting a lot. try to slow down the play and sprint when necessary
    - try to player switch more in your half
    - mix your passes (regular and driven)
  • Salvatori
    Empyrium7 wrote: »

Cheers man, yeah sprinting is the bane of my life. I am addicted to it i swear......... I always find that if i am not sprinting, my players move so slowly in insane. The key bits are to stop it when passing / recieving a pass / when within about 20 - 25 yards of opponents goal. Really is no need to do it then unless your going down the outside of someone on the flanks.

Added the 2nd half post in. As much as anything, interested in whether people do this kind of thing, or have other ways of analysing play etc - judgin what to get to get better at (e.g - for me its uh....everything)
  • kraid
    1947 posts Play-Off Hero
    Have you tried playing other forum members and getting feedback from them?

I do think this analysis you’re doing is a good idea though.
  • bucs0576
    2282 posts Fans' Favourite
    Wow. At least you're committed to something.

As said earlier, let go of sprint. Barely touch the left stick when you're dribbling with good players.

As much as people abuse mechanics, the object of the game is to create space and score. You don't have to play like the rest of the spazoids to be descent or have fun.
  • bucs0576
    Two hoo hoo's (any size) is a much better time consuming activity.
  • RadioShaq
    14688 posts Moderator
    I watched 20 minutes or so but your making bad passes. You probably have everyone on stay back as nobody is making runs which is causing large gaps for passing. You might even need to make some driven or dribble closer.
  • suxxio
    239 posts Sunday League Hero
    no hate but tbh, its beyond me how one can stuck in div5 with a team like that...i mean like srsly, the team alone should win tons of games
  • SPN1987
    1904 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 17
    I watched for 1 minute. You are all over the place when defending. Try to cut passing lanes while jockeying and then switch to another player. You are committing to the ball way too much. And like the other dude said let go of sprint button in possession and take your time. You are not composed at all in possession. Plus let go of the fkn contain button. You are not actually defending when using contain but let the AI mirror every one of your opponent moves. Just unlearn that. And actually try to read opponents instead.
  • lippyone
    808 posts Semi-Pro
    TLDR

To cut a long story short, if after 20 minutes your tactics not working then change them.
    Also never underestimate the power of a weak team, especially in rivals.

If you see one on very low chem then watchout as all your players will have a sluggish game.
    If your opponent has a player sent off all your players will have a sluggish game.
  • lippyone
    808 posts Semi-Pro
    suxxio wrote: »
    no hate but tbh, its beyond me how one can stuck in div5 with a team like that...i mean like srsly, the team alone should win tons of games

Rivals does not work like that. A better team on paper does not always perform as a better team
  • Empyrium7
    2384 posts Fans' Favourite
    Salvatori wrote: »
    Empyrium7 wrote: »

Cheers man, yeah sprinting is the bane of my life. I am addicted to it i swear......... I always find that if i am not sprinting, my players move so slowly in insane. The key bits are to stop it when passing / recieving a pass / when within about 20 - 25 yards of opponents goal. Really is no need to do it then unless your going down the outside of someone on the flanks.

Added the 2nd half post in. As much as anything, interested in whether people do this kind of thing, or have other ways of analysing play etc - judgin what to get to get better at (e.g - for me its uh....everything)

yes it's noticeable. you need to do something about it. try to change the sprinting button. or play a full game without it. you will see how better player receive the ball and move it without the sprint.
    I play slow build up and rarely use the sprint button in the middle of the field.

due to the lack of player switching. you are moving your players out of position. try always to switch to the player that supposed to cover the area where is the ball and keep other players in their positions.

always try to surprise the opponent with passing. mix them up. sometimes it's better to do a driven or a lob pass rather than the normal pass.

your wingers are far wide. try to have them to cut inside or change your width in the attack to 3 or 4 bars.

you are playing 4-3-3 (5) which means you need to play more on the sides. use your FBs in the attack and have them make runs so your opponent track their runs and making space for the player with the ball.

• bucs0576
    SPN1987 wrote: »
    bucs0576 wrote: »
    Also, you need a girl m8.

Why be a b?tch? Fk off dude.

Maybe you would like a female as well?
  • Salvatori
    kraid wrote: »
    Have you tried playing other forum members and getting feedback from them?

I do think this analysis you’re doing is a good idea though.

I have not actually, a few have offered and ive added a couple but never seem to manage to line up online times etc. Would be up for it, will keep an eye out tonight and tomorrow when i should be kicking about online.

Cheer though
    Wow. At least you're committed to something.

As said earlier, let go of sprint. Barely touch the left stick when you're dribbling with good players.

As much as people abuse mechanics, the object of the game is to create space and score. You don't have to play like the rest of the spazoids to be descent or have fun.

Cheers, yeah ive never managed to do the thing where not fully pressing down on the left stick to dribble. must give it a try.

I take back the cheers - I have a wife, just so happens she works long shifts looking after sick people. Maybe she can help remove the chip from your shoulder eh.
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    I watched 20 minutes or so but your making bad passes. You probably have everyone on stay back as nobody is making runs which is causing large gaps for passing. You might even need to make some driven or dribble closer.

Yeah defo making bad passes, but the only players in my entire team on stay back are the CDM (who does not really stay back!) and the DC's. No one else is on stay back, infact the CMs are both on "get forward".

In my slight defence, a few of the bad passes are just simply not passes that i tried to make. Dunno what to do about that, but equally that still leaves 80% of the bad ones which are on me and i can do better.

suxxio wrote: »

Yeah because you dont need to push buttons when you have Pele eh? Idiot
    I watched for 1 minute. You are all over the place when defending. Try to cut passing lanes while jockeying and then switch to another player. You are committing to the ball way too much. And like the other dude said let go of sprint button in possession and take your time. You are not composed at all in possession. Plus let go of the fkn contain button. You are not actually defending when using contain but let the AI mirror every one of your opponent moves. Just unlearn that. And actually try to read opponents instead.

cheers - see i watch that bit and think i am trying to cut passing lanes. I try to put my man directly between the 2 opposing players and the ball seems to just go an inch to the side of me. But defo will take on board not using contain. I find it kinda essential when facing up to a player on the wing or on the edge of the box but other times yeah defo can see how its not positive
  • lippyone
    808 posts Semi-Pro
    edited June 18
    [Removed quoted post ~Rtas]

He is right though, you are overanalysing.

In a few years you will look back and wonder why you spent hours dissecting a meaningless game of rivals on a throwaway computer game.
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
  • SPN1987

Maybe you would like a female as well?

Don't worry about me. I already am settled.
  • bucs0576
    Sorry to the OP. I was just kidding. In all honesty, you just need to slow down a bit. I can tell by you're lengthy analysis, you don't do anything fast. Play to your strengths.
  • Salvatori
    lippyone wrote: »

In a few years you will look back and wonder why you spent hours dissecting a meaningless game of rivals on a throwaway computer game.

I mean i spent about 30mins on it, and all i am doing is spending a bit of time trying to get better / enjoy more something which is a hobby of mine. If had not spend the 30mins doing this, would have just spent it playing another rivals game........... I just happen to be in a position to spend a fair bit of time on fifa, without it being at the expense of anything else :) Choice and all that
  • kraid
    1947 posts Play-Off Hero
    As others have said, try and switch players when defending, which I saw you do more in the second half. Try and read where your opponent is going to play the ball, use one player to cut passing lanes while pressing with another if needed.

In attack I dont think that formation suits you. You’re playing incredibly wide and Pele is getting isolated. Maybe play something with 2 strikers or at least a central cam. If nothing else lower your width and try and get your wingers in more dangerous positions. Maybe look at your other team instructions too and tweak them a bit to give you more options in attack

Vary the speed of your attack. I’m not one for ping pong passing but there are occasions when the attack is crying out for a first time pass to keep the move going and you take an extra touch and lose momentum.

Learn to dribble effectively. I saw a few moves with r10 but they didn’t seem focussed or thought out, kinda like you were just moving the right stick about without a planned result, often running straight into the defence. Learn a few moves and when to use them, dribble with your other players too so youre less predictable.
  • SPN1987
    edited June 17
    Salvatori wrote: »
    lippyone wrote: »

I mean i spent about 30mins on it, and all i am doing is spending a bit of time trying to get better / enjoy more something which is a hobby of mine. If had not spend the 30mins doing this, would have just spent it playing another rivals game........... I just happen to be in a position to spend a fair bit of time on fifa, without it being at the expense of anything else :) Choice and all that

There is no such thing as getting better and getting more wins as a result. You might lose more and still improve your overall skill level. Because the scoreline is completely irrelevant a lot of the time. I lost to ppl I would probably double figure in any other FIFA. :s

P.S. Both goals were just an abomination, no skill involved. The first one should have been a foul because he was attacking you from the back and got the ball somehow, which sets him up for an easy long shot. Second goal is just pure RNG you can't do anything about.
  • Salvatori
    kraid wrote: »
    As others have said, try and switch players when defending, which I saw you do more in the second half. Try and read where your opponent is going to play the ball, use one player to cut passing lanes while pressing with another if needed.

In attack I dont think that formation suits you. You’re playing incredibly wide and Pele is getting isolated. Maybe play something with 2 strikers or at least a central cam. If nothing else lower your width and try and get your wingers in more dangerous positions. Maybe look at your other team instructions too and tweak them a bit to give you more options in attack

Vary the speed of your attack. I’m not one for ping pong passing but there are occasions when the attack is crying out for a first time pass to keep the move going and you take an extra touch and lose momentum.

Learn to dribble effectively. I saw a few moves with r10 but they didn’t seem focussed or thought out, kinda like you were just moving the right stick about without a planned result, often running straight into the defence. Learn a few moves and when to use them, dribble with your other players too so youre less predictable.

Cheers man - appreciate the actual feedback here :)

Strangely, this exact formation was what i changed to in order to find something that did suit me, and it did. Took me up 200 skill points and to much better / more enjoyable gameplay. I think the issue is, when you are not retaining the ball, this formation can make you look bad. You need to be having 58% or so possession with this, which i was previously doing with ease.

Varying the speed is prolly the key point - There are times with this setup it really needs to be slowed down and passed backwards, patient and probe for the space. But then you have to know when to speed it up and do 1 touch passing to get into those lovely spaces. I do know how to do it...........i just sorta lost that somehow. Partly slowing it down too much with R10. Need to pick and choose the time for skill moves as you say.

But the formation can allow me to scored decent goals:

This was from my 3rd game post the analysis. First one i scored in the 5th min and the other guy immediately RQ, 2nd one i won 3 v 1 against a very skilled player, but with another below par team.

This one, i gave away a really bad goal early, ironically through trying to focus on player switching when defending (switched to the wrong guy and was made to look a fool!) then conceded a lucky one where he misplaced a pass to his winger, who missed it but somehow it ran onto this own overlapping player and he scored a near post tap in. Then i settled in, had been reading your advice prior to this game slowed things a bit when dribbling but speed up a bit when passsing.....thinking ok, i can get back in this even at 2 down. Scored that Pele goal........then this happens.

I mean......... what :D This is when it gets tough to focus on the improving thing! But gonna play a few more later focussed on less sprinting when i have the ball and more quick passing. Defending remains a WIP, but it i can get back to 58 - 60% possession.......well then defending happens less often by definition.........
  • Derryboy1893
    3536 posts National Call-Up
    I first and foremost what everyone has already said about slowing down and switching on defence also Id recommend a second tactic to go between. I use the 4335 and switch up to the 4321 with central cm as CDM. Sometimes you'll be set up wide then change to attack through the middle, become less predictable
  • Salvatori
    I first and foremost what everyone has already said about slowing down and switching on defence also Id recommend a second tactic to go between. I use the 4335 and switch up to the 4321 with central cm as CDM. Sometimes you'll be set up wide then change to attack through the middle, become less predictable

Cheers man, yeah i was switching to the 4411 occasionally in game but it was not effective for me. Might give the 4321 a look. At the moment i have 2 identical tactics set in 2 of the slots, with the only difference being switching R10 to CF and Pele out to LW. I do that occasionally in game just to mix it up for 20mins or so.

Having a plan B and also reading how the opponent plays are defo important if your not really good enough to always dictate the game totally.

Decided to watch a match on the champions channel from WL for some tips - the only other games i have really watched are what Boras posts on youtube sometimes (cant stand any of the other youtube fools). So picked one between a guy who was 18 - 2 and another who was 17 - 3 i think.........Could not believe how unimpressive it was to be honest. It did not look a million miles of my own gameplay, with a few notable exceptions!
  • Midnight66
    28 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Sometimes you have to take 2 steps forward and one step back. Compared to the last game you posted a couple of weeks ago, to me you're playing very differently (and better for the most part). Still a tendency to rush passes into traffic, but on the whole it looks like you're being more thoughtful and passing back a lot more than you used to. I did notice that you were chasing around in defence a lot, but from your other videos and posts it seems you're doing something about that :-)

I've managed to move from Division 10 to Division 6 (and knocking on the door of 5) by doing the same kind of self-analysis, albeit more informally and entirely in my head. My play has taken a series of quantum leaps it seems, most often when I consciously make the effort to slow down and be more deliberate about my passing. I've even started to dribble the ball more which helps create space and build momentum.

My defensive play has improved the most. I honestly find that practicing against the AI on World Class and Legendary levels has helped me to deal with attacking pressure like nothing else. Keeping off the sprint button and not trying to chase down the man with the ball has been the key for me in that respect.
  • Salvatori
    Midnight66 wrote: »
    Sometimes you have to take 2 steps forward and one step back. Compared to the last game you posted a couple of weeks ago, to me you're playing very differently (and better for the most part). Still a tendency to rush passes into traffic, but on the whole it looks like you're being more thoughtful and passing back a lot more than you used to. I did notice that you were chasing around in defence a lot, but from your other videos and posts it seems you're doing something about that :-)

I've managed to move from Division 10 to Division 6 (and knocking on the door of 5) by doing the same kind of self-analysis, albeit more informally and entirely in my head. My play has taken a series of quantum leaps it seems, most often when I consciously make the effort to slow down and be more deliberate about my passing. I've even started to dribble the ball more which helps create space and build momentum.

My defensive play has improved the most. I honestly find that practicing against the AI on World Class and Legendary levels has helped me to deal with attacking pressure like nothing else. Keeping off the sprint button and not trying to chase down the man with the ball has been the key for me in that respect.

Cheers man, yeah its a bit odd how i improved so much, then suddenly seemed to be right back to being terrible. Its tough to know if im playing at bad times, or playing badly, with the truth almost certainly being a bit of both.

I played a chunk of games tonight, after sitting back and reading all my analysis and also the really good helpful comments on here. Tried to focus on:

1) Not dwelling on the ball so much - quicker passing, including backwards and sideways

2) Not sprinting much at all when in possession, and not rushing decisions. Sounds a bit contradictory to the above, but basically it was controlled speed more than rushing

3) More player switching and less chasing with one man when defending.

Overall, pretty big improvement. Jumped back into Div 4 and all the way back up to about 1320 skill points. Interestingly back to dominating possession in almost every game - usually 56 - 60%. Dont often dominate the shot count but never care about that. I dont long shot often, and the possession game seems to encourage opponents to try long shots. Also made it all the more enjoyable again.

Still prone to the odd defensive shambles, and late in games, with a one goal lead, i seemed to struggle a couple of times and find myself penned in and maybe just lacked a bit of composure, but both times that happened i did hold on for the wins at least.

I also did set up a 4321 to switch to in game at times just to give it different look which i think was effective at times.
  • JWNYsg
    401 posts Sunday League Hero
    that's a very nice write up. thanks for sharing
  • torakun
    1462 posts Play-Off Hero
    I'm only division 2, I refuse to go up to div 1 because of the many horror stories I heard of mechanic abusing people, but I will offer you an advice that hopefully help you.

1. You pass without purpose. You pass just to the nearest guy in front without some sort of scheme. You need to create a pattern in your head first as much as you can.

2. Rushing so much, you need to calm down. Rushing won't help you in ANY decision making.

3. Learn your players. You got figo, but you rarely cross with him. You got pele, but you dont "dance" with him, you got Dinho but you forgot that he can dribble fast without any skill moves too, etc.

4. Learn to shoot from many angles. Go to Squad battle, play in Professional difficulties. Try to shoot from many different angles with different players to see which will go in and which angle you can exploit from.

5. STOP changing formation. Find your comfortable one and grow with it. Changing players and formation won't help you, trust me. Because its all about habit and style.

cheers
  • nextqprmanager
    3292 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 18
    Good post. Mirrored my past week a little. I went up to Div 4 with my highest 1400+ Skill points, with new Team. Last night back to Div 5 100-1200 SP.
    I have wired connection but the connection was not good, slight delay in my tackles ; then panic a bit. Also I had one Home Match all night??. I scored own goals twice last night - my way of telling my opponent , its not you thats good!. Also, when passes are not going where I aim - there is no point.
    I will try to slow down also, although fast build up works with my Fitness Team ??. BTW I play 433[3].
    I used to start on 4231 defence, but going 1-0 down, I normally lost the Match, so now I always start on attacking.
    It is certainly a frustrating game - 1 week fine, the next trash.
    Are you still on 433?
    GL
  • Salvatori
    torakun wrote: »
    I'm only division 2, I refuse to go up to div 1 because of the many horror stories I heard of mechanic abusing people, but I will offer you an advice that hopefully help you.

1. You pass without purpose. You pass just to the nearest guy in front without some sort of scheme. You need to create a pattern in your head first as much as you can.

2. Rushing so much, you need to calm down. Rushing won't help you in ANY decision making.

3. Learn your players. You got figo, but you rarely cross with him. You got pele, but you dont "dance" with him, you got Dinho but you forgot that he can dribble fast without any skill moves too, etc.

4. Learn to shoot from many angles. Go to Squad battle, play in Professional difficulties. Try to shoot from many different angles with different players to see which will go in and which angle you can exploit from.

5. STOP changing formation. Find your comfortable one and grow with it. Changing players and formation won't help you, trust me. Because its all about habit and style.

cheers

Nice one man - appreciate it. Passing without a purpose is an interesting one. I have a clear idea once i get around the box what i want to do (keep possession and eventually draw out a defender, create a gap, pass into that gap, score.........) but its a fair point especially in the early phase of build up. Last night i tried to focus on variation - Do a few attacks focussed on building up through the middle, then if that is not succesful, or even if it is sometimes, start to use the wings for 15 - 20mins. I think that part was / is lacking in my game. Basically i noticed watching back vids that opponents were easily predicting which pass i would make, so could cut the passing lane easier. Variation is key to avoid that i suppose.

Dribbling is my other weak point, but i have 2 of the best players in the game to learn with at least in Dinho and Pele. I just need to learn how to non sprint / non skill dribble better, i find im not good at that and i feel so slow and even if i beat the opponent, he can just come back at me.