I'm sure I will never surpass G2 (Get your reading specs ready)

iRusty_yo
3921 posts National Call-Up
edited June 16
Hi all,

During the week I was toying with the idea of keeping a record of the post match results of my last WL. At first i was reluctant in making this thread; considering how many soccer purists play FIFA and would only ridicule me for "lack of tackles" or "play at home only" approach.

I am division 1 player, I don't spam la croquetta every chance I get but I do use it when an opportunity presents itself to get into space, additionally I try to play matches with at least 4 bar connection and most of you here would agree that this can appear as cherry picking.

I've been a member here for a long time and I am sick of seeing thread pop up each week moaning about delay/P2W/EA etc. I want to showcase my results as to get an opinion from some of you wether I am being pigeon holed into G2 or am I just G2 player as each weekend I feel like I could have been G1 or even E3.

Now, lets get into the post match results & WL shenanigans:

Game 1:
Due to administrative error (damn PS4) the screen shot wasn't saved down. I won 2-0.

Game 2: Fairly straight forward game, was controlling the game from the start but first two goals by the opponent were direct response from when I opened the scoring. Near the 65th his players stopped playing as well guessing due to "constant pressure" draining his stamina.
5yhwUrc.jpg

Game 3: Deserved loss, this dude was great and played really well. I couldn't get the ball of him.
7sJqgd4.jpg

Game 4: 2-0 RQ, I'm sure the guy could have fought his way back as my players felt like they were skating on ice. Got two good chances and I took them, onto the next one.
8ftiAAe.jpg

Game 5: Good game, don't let the stats fool you. This lad was solid and it felt like I had "EA gods" behind me as each of his chances were clear cut goals but somehow his ST's just didn't put them away.
EQvbY8l.jpg

Game 6: Proud of this game. Clear youtube fanboy follower of all them "buy cheap coins here" leeches. He opened the scoreline and proceeded to dab. Anytime I had the ball he'd just slide tackle and would get away with it. During the first half break, I swapped to 4222 and banged in four.
LXHIDE0.jpg

Game 7: Tight game from the get go. I opened the scoreline with the opponent equalizing shortly after but this dude skipped the replays and moved on with the game. Second half I found myself 2-1 down before switching to 4222 again proved fruitful. I have to add that this game could have gone either way. I managed to score in the 90th.
L78PhIs.jpg

Game 8: 2-0 down in the 65th the opponent decided to move onto the next one.
ZulKREa.jpg

At this point I put the controller down and went to bed, all of the games above were played on Friday, overall the connection was good and I played decent "FIFA" and let me be clear here; I played FIFA not trying to replicate football we see on TV but hey 7-1 is a good start.

Saturday morning I got up early to reach G3 and I felt confident that I could do it fairly quickly.. overconfidence..

Game 9: Kinda felt cheated after this game, I had good chances to finish but TOTY Mbappe kept scuffing them. First touches of my players were awful too and I felt that this wasn't going to end well. Sure enough I opened the scoreline and kept it good form only for my opponent to just spam El Tornado cross and win the game by 90th min winner. I decided to cook mrs breakfast while I calm down.
ildUa9m.jpg

Game 10: Pretty much carbon copy of my previous game, I go 1-0 up and try to keep the ball hoping my opponent make a mistake so I can capitalize on it but sure enough my players started to miss passes and he managed to get two quick goals in 87th & 90th to win the game. Furious.
rWdZEQe.jpg

Game 11: So in this game, while I'm still feeling bit cheated of the previous two games I find myself 2 down by the 15th minute, now I had a feeling I can have this game as I didn't open the scoreline and we've all experienced this sudden shift in "luck" when being 2-0 up. Sure enough, I get it 2-2 by the second half only for my opponent to run in between POTM VVD & SBC Ramos. I switched to 4222 to equalize in the 90th and Gullit scored a banger in the 120th. I am pretty sure this guy would have been furious as I have been and many of yourselves been in a similar position.
IM76Vz7.jpg

Game 12: 1-0 down in the first two minutes of the game, proceeds to dab... irritated. BANG 2-0 down by the 7th minute.. shhhhhhh.. run down to centre circle dab, proceeds to watch the replay. 4222 comes to the rescue and I am 4-2 up by the end of first half. Second half, I kept the 4222 formation and destroyed the fool. In his defense he kept playing the entire game and I did get lucky with three goals being the most "aidsy" type of goals I scored the entire weekend.
5CV95Xx.jpg

Game 13: Straight forward, no messing around game. Opponent played a clean game but I had him.
hPldnIz.jpg

Game 14: I felt hard done here, Prime Eusebio & TOTY Mbappe just weren't good enough, kept firing the ball into row z :( The opponent was perfectly happy sitting back absorbing the attacks and I lost on pens. Considering I was lucky with couple of games before I didn't let this enrage me (even though I was a bit frustrated as these are the games that make the difference between G1/G2
tkWxFGa.jpg

Game 15: Similar to the earlier game, I was again playing against an opponent that was more than happy sitting deep soaking up the attacks and hitting me on the counter. I he was 2-1 by the 75th and I switched to trusty 4222 only to get pulverized twice. Now I felt a bit annoyed.
zPnpCRT.jpg

Game 16: Having lost two games on the bounce, I was matched up with this dude that had the most near perfect team. TOTY Neymar, TOTY Mbappe, R96, Prime Gullit etc. So here I am, feeling like I was cheated out of two wins and now having to play against a god squad. I kept a cool head and went one up in the 50th and the game finished as that. Having lost to two lesser opponents, I felt like this guy got screwed as he was good. I had to be so cautious with my passes.
K7Qu0hU.jpg

Game 17: Having just come from a win that I didn't deserve, I was matched up against another god squad and I was mentally ready to lose this one. However, from his playstyle I could sense that he did not earn the team by playing since September but rather just used his debit card to obtain R96. The moment I scored the 3rd he was out of here and sure enough, FUT account was dated April 2019.
2Zgm64H.jpg

Game 18: Tough game, great opponent. Knew how to play well and wasn't a toxic player. Didnt spam la croquettas and only used it when it was a great opportunity to use it. This could have gone either way.
7ee9NJC.jpg

Game 19: At this point, I was starting to feel lethargic and I was at 13 wins, figured I try to play one more game (having won three on the bounce, I was expecting to lose this one; as the rank up games always give me headaches) before cooking dinner and checking out a movie with the wife. First attack, 1-0 up and the opponent just left...
c0dS355.jpg

Now I'm at 14-5, which is pretty much the same win/loss ratio I am at every week during WL and I felt that this week it is not going to be any different on where I ultimately finish. After the movie I chilled out a bit before hitting the sack as I had plans to finish my remaining games in the morning.

I find the gameplay in the morning is the smoothest.

Game 20: Initially, I was frustrated with this game as I felt that I played good but overall stats suggest otherwise. So the first game in the morning didn't go down well. Maybe I should have had a warm up game?
28yIcH8.jpg

Game 21: This.. this game right here tilted me so much. This dude, must have slipped the ref £20 as three times I was wiped out in the box with no call. Add in the that my Eusebio and Mbappe just didn't feel like they were up to it I lost... each goal he celebrated like he's won the world cup, with a dab, shusshhh and replay watching.
bXnVb3E.jpg

Game 22: Having taken a break from the earlier game, this fella was good and played well too. Wasn't overly fussed on losing this as both of us missed absolute sitters. Since I had been lucky in an 50/50 game this WL before I moved onto the next one. GG
gPPuKrx.jpg

Game 23: Not a great team, so my first thoughts are to approach with caution. This guy wiped the floor with me. I'm certain he was E3 player, while annoying that la croquetta is effective his ability to man mark and close passing lanes down was top notch.
pGsqT0w.jpg

Game 24: I was 1-0 down at the second minute of the game, proceeded to dab and shushhh. At the 70th I still had not equalized so switched to 4222 and managed to get two quick succession goals. I'm sure I only managed the third goal because he had to get out of his camp site and attack.
qbKDnVP.jpg

Game 25: Another RQ, scored the second and the opponent had no desire to try and get back into the game.
UUI9D5x.jpg

Game 26: I felt like I played a great game in this match up. I was 2-0 down and managed to get it back up to 2-1 before the end of the first half. Switched to "you know it" 4222 and instantly conceded. As I'm sat here forced to rewatch his goal and thinking that all I need is one more win for G2 I might as well just move on. But no, I persevered and manage to score an equalizer in the 90th and then the game winner in the 104th. At the 120th his ST was 1-1 with my keep and VDS made a wonder save. Felt chuffed to bits to walk away with a win considering I was about to hang up the boots here.
IDZYXBu.jpg

Game 27: Another fairly even affair and again I didn't walk away as the victor. It's the 50/50's that really ruin my chances of being higher ranked in WL. This guy took his chances and wasn't as wasteful as me but I kinda felt on few of the attacking chances my players lacked confidence and missed 1-1's. Maybe it was me? Don't know but I felt like I played well.
UNQFl3B.jpg

Game 28: I like RQ's. 3-0 thriller.
Zcqf6c2.jpg

Game 29: with two games remaining and needing two wins for G1, I entered this game fully focused and relaxed. Made great tackles and got amazing chances to score. However, this was not meant to end in my favor. Similarly the opponent couldn't score either but from the 80th minute this lad started to play for pens and just finished me there. I can't win on pens to save my life.
cbaQ6wE.jpg

Game 30: Now I am at 18-11, and I usually finish WL on 19-11 (it's either pre-determined or I'm incredibly consistent on only achieving G2 with that win/loss ratio) and I know I'll win the game as the loading screen is on. Sure enough, RQ at the 45th.
GmrqS6L.jpg

Summary:

I feel like I know how to play, it's just there are times when I know I am not going to win a game. Like there is this wall that I am not meant to pass and that is how I feel about hitting G1. I've done it twice this year and both occasions I was having a mare of a weekend with my worst ever starts yet somehow go onto ridiculous win streak.

I am aware that I may ridiculed about some stats I have posted but I'm pretty sure most of us play the same here. Any consistent G1/E3 players care to contribute on what I am doing wrong? Here's my squad:

MAmfGCZ.jpg

PSN appears to have issues and is unable to store down screenshots so I am unable to currently show my tactics and will update once that feature is back up.

Before end of the FUT19 WL I want to hit E3, I really do but I’ve not got the drive for next WL’s if my destined to only finish G2. I might play Ultimate TOTS WL depending on what advice I receive here.

Comments

• CustardHippo
    563 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Kinda enjoyed reading this. You seem to play consistent across your games which is good. I've encountered a ton of delay and drop back teams this WL, did you have a similar experience? I've been absolutely robbed in games I've dominated and games I'm thinking oh here we go, I've walked away with a cheap wi .

Has been an odd weekend and I feel if they could improve the gameplay, smooth it out and get rid of the delay etc, I might have a good crack at G1. Like you, I'm a very consistent G3 player and usually hand out my last few games as goodwill but I feel like the sluggish way my players go about some games really costs me across the 30 games.
  • iRusty_yo
    Kinda enjoyed reading this. You seem to play consistent across your games which is good. I've encountered a ton of delay and drop back teams this WL, did you have a similar experience? I've been absolutely robbed in games I've dominated and games I'm thinking oh here we go, I've walked away with a cheap wi .

Has been an odd weekend and I feel if they could improve the gameplay, smooth it out and get rid of the delay etc, I might have a good crack at G1. Like you, I'm a very consistent G3 player and usually hand out my last few games as goodwill but I feel like the sluggish way my players go about some games really costs me across the 30 games.

Thanks man.

Same here, if we didn’t have terrible servers the entire gaming experience would be so much better and I would perhaps be able to creep into E3. I don’t know how pro players manage to hit 30-0 with this on consistent basis.

I’m not delusional in thinking that I can achieve 30-0 but I do feel confident should the gameplay be better I would be pushing for E3.

I am used to playing against one depth opponents as that is the norm in Div 1. I simply don’t like how sometimes there are games in WL that are decided on connection :/
  • Pocketsquareguy
    4863 posts Big Money Move
    Hey bro. I think you got beat by a girl. It happened to me last week. Feels bad.
  • Pieman25
    15987 posts World Class
    Really nice breakdown, good to see each match being covered. This might be for another thread but if you could share your 4222 tactics I'd appreciate it to give it a try instead of 442, it really seemed to be a benefit in games where you were struggling.
  • iRusty_yo
    Hey bro. I think you got beat by a girl. It happened to me last week. Feels bad.

How do you know this?
  • Pocketsquareguy
    4863 posts Big Money Move
    iRusty_yo wrote: »

How do you know this?

Just guessing FC Nicole was a girl. Can’t be sure by any means. My loss was to “you just got beat by a girl” or something along those lines, so I’m more positive.
  • CustardHippo
    563 posts An Exciting Prospect

Thanks man.

Same here, if we didn’t have terrible servers the entire gaming experience would be so much better and I would perhaps be able to creep into E3. I don’t know how pro players manage to hit 30-0 with this on consistent basis.

I’m not delusional in thinking that I can achieve 30-0 but I do feel confident should the gameplay be better I would be pushing for E3.

I am used to playing against one depth opponents as that is the norm in Div 1. I simply don’t like how sometimes there are games in WL that are decided on connection :/

Exactly, I'm not kidding myself thinking I could go 30-0 on a good connection but i would say i could have had another 3 wins this week had the game been playable. In one, Vieira was just refusing to jump and i lost to a Griezmann header. You should have seen it! He was so high up over Vieira I had to double take! But how you can play when no player is jumping across the entire game.

The 1 depth is annoying especially when they score with one of the only shots they have. My GK doesn't ever seem to have one of those unbeatable games, he will always drop a clanger though...
  • iRusty_yo
    Pieman25 wrote: »
    Really nice breakdown, good to see each match being covered. This might be for another thread but if you could share your 4222 tactics I'd appreciate it to give it a try instead of 442, it really seemed to be a benefit in games where you were struggling.

For some reason my PS4 is having issues with storing down screenshots, so let me write these out for you:

Defensive style - Pressure on heavy touch
    Width - 5
    Depth - 4

Offensive style - Fast build up
    Width - 5
    Players in box - 6
    Corners - 6
    Free kicks - 6

Instructions:

LST - Stay central & get in behind with default interceptions and default defensive support
    RST - Stay central & get in behind with default interceptions and default defensive support
    LCAM - Stay forward with rest of the options as default
    RCAM - Comeback on defense with rest of the options as default
    LCDM - Cut passing lanes with rest of the options as default
    RCDM - Cut passing lanes with rest of the options as default
    LB - Join attack with rest of the options as default
    RB - Join attack with rest of the options as default
    CB's - Default
  • iRusty_yo

Thanks man.

Exactly, I'm not kidding myself thinking I could go 30-0 on a good connection but i would say i could have had another 3 wins this week had the game been playable. In one, Vieira was just refusing to jump and i lost to a Griezmann header. You should have seen it! He was so high up over Vieira I had to double take! But how you can play when no player is jumping across the entire game.

The 1 depth is annoying especially when they score with one of the only shots they have. My GK doesn't ever seem to have one of those unbeatable games, he will always drop a clanger though...

Ah yeah, I had an instance where Gullit was pushed off the ball by TOTS Frazer.. I know how frustrating that can be
  • iRusty_yo

How do you know this?

Just guessing FC Nicole was a girl. Can’t be sure by any means. My loss was to “you just got beat by a girl” or something along those lines, so I’m more positive.

hmmm funnily enough, I have a feeling I've played against that account before :/
  • freakjas
    5693 posts Big Money Move

How do you know this?

hmmm funnily enough, I have a feeling I've played against that account before :/

I dont see any problem lol, i‘m sure theres some girls out there that are really good at the game.

Anyway this was an interesting read and i really liked that you tried to analyze it properly.

I myself hit gold 1 4 times i think. All this fifa. I feel like its a bit easier to hit it if you have a bad start.
    It‘s usually what i do, think i once was 10-1 which was my best start but i can‘t remember if i got gold 1 or not.
    Reached it last week and i started 7-6 (nearly 6-7 btw). Had to great winning streaks and reached it with my last game.

I would say its better to take breaks and not get tilted but i literally had to play 15 games last sunday and i barely took one haha.

You got a better team than me so thats definitely not an issue.

I really can‘t think of A proper advice sadly.
  • CharlieC
    6193 posts Big Money Move
    I like the fact that you said (in game 27) the guy took his chances and you were wasteful. Scoring is decided by RNG, there is very little skill that you can effect. You either score or you don’t, pressing the button is pressing the button and the comp decides the outcome.
  • JohnDoe
    11253 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 16
    I started playing in December. Took me about a month of WL until I started hitting G1 consistently. I had a very poor squad compared to the vast majority of my opponents' (still do), as, for example, the best player in my squad for months was FFS Leao (very solid player, tbh, just not exactly elite). My first icon was AdP from the first swap base icon pack, and he was recently turned in to the Vieira SBC, which I completed yesterday

I don't skill, no croquetas, no anything. I mostly am good at passing and picking out players, and I'm also decent at defending. I'm usually completely attacking-minded, even if my playstyle is heavily supported by my midfield, so I just try to go for goals, not for fancy stuff. I mostly take shots from good positions, with over 90% of them being from inside the box, and usually avoiding those 360 no scopes from 30 yards out, but maybe I should give in to the meta, idk.

I'm obviously, by no means, a great player, but looking at your stats, the number of tackles is shocking to me. I usually have at least twice your amount of tackles. I would also like to see your shot maps, would tell me a bit more about your offensive ability.

We're similar in terms of possession, and you seem to average a slightly higher passing accuracy than I do, but nothing substantial.

I can't see your team as the problem, I've faced great players with worse squads who still outplayed me. If anything, your current squad is getting you a win or two per weekend on its own. I can only assume that, because I can be smashing people, leading by multiple goals by the 30th and I rarely ever get RQs, but I guess the mental impact of being up against your team leads to more RQs.

Bottom line, I think you may not be as concise and incisive as possible when attacking. Your high passing accuracy tells me you're playing a lot of safe passes, possibly not too high up the pitch, and maybe not going for those killer through balls you should be going for when necessary.

Once again, keep in mind I'm only a G1 player, far from being very good at this game, so maybe all of this is completely useless to you.
  • iRusty_yo
    freakjas wrote: »

How do you know this?

I dont see any problem lol, i‘m sure theres some girls out there that are really good at the game.

Anyway this was an interesting read and i really liked that you tried to analyze it properly.

I myself hit gold 1 4 times i think. All this fifa. I feel like its a bit easier to hit it if you have a bad start.
    It‘s usually what i do, think i once was 10-1 which was my best start but i can‘t remember if i got gold 1 or not.
    Reached it last week and i started 7-6 (nearly 6-7 btw). Had to great winning streaks and reached it with my last game.

I would say its better to take breaks and not get tilted but i literally had to play 15 games last sunday and i barely took one haha.

Don't get me wrong, nor do I. There's always going to be someone better regardless of sex.

Thank you, I tried to analyze each game as much as I could during the weekend as I was drafting this thread.

Maybe due to my ELO being 5+ I get matched up against tougher opponents, but that doesn't make sense as only couple opponents were far better than me.

I've got a solid break plan system that I perform when playing Wl. I always play my games in the morning for the better connection as well as ensuring I don't neglect my responsibilities as a husband.

I'm certain the reason I get so many RQ's is because sometimes, weaker opponents just give up as they are convinced my team is playing by itself.
  • iRusty_yo
    CharlieC wrote: »
    I like the fact that you said (in game 27) the guy took his chances and you were wasteful. Scoring is decided by RNG, there is very little skill that you can effect. You either score or you don’t, pressing the button is pressing the button and the comp decides the outcome.

To a degree I agree with you. The wastefulness comments comes from the situation where I've sprinted for too long or had tried to chip the keeper etc.
  • iRusty_yo
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    I started playing in December. Took me about a month of WL until I started hitting G1 consistently. I had a very poor squad compared to the vast majority of my opponents' (still do), as, for example, the best player in my squad for months was FFS Leao (very solid player, tbh, just not exactly elite). My first icon was AdP from the first swap base icon pack, and he was recently turned in to the Vieira SBC, which I completed yesterday

I don't skill, no croquetas, no anything. I mostly am good at passing and picking out players, and I'm also decent at defending. I'm usually completely attacking-minded, even if my playstyle is heavily supported by my midfield, so I just try to go for goals, not for fancy stuff. I mostly take shots from good positions, with over 90% of them being from inside the box, and usually avoiding those 360 no scopes from 30 yards out, but maybe I should give in to the meta, idk.

I'm obviously, by no means, a great player, but looking at your stats, the number of tackles is shocking to me. I usually have at least twice your amount of tackles. I would also like to see your shot maps, would tell me a bit more about your offensive ability.

We're similar in terms of possession, and you seem to average a slightly higher passing accuracy than I do, but nothing substantial.

I can't see your team as the problem, I've faced great players with worse squads who still outplayed me. If anything, your current squad is getting you a win or two per weekend on its own. I can only assume that, because I can be smashing people, leading by multiple goals by the 30th and I rarely ever get RQs, but I guess the mental impact of being up against your team leads to more RQs.

Bottom line, I think you may not be as concise and incisive as possible when attacking. Your high passing accuracy tells me you're playing a lot of safe passes, possibly not too high up the pitch, and maybe not going for those killer through balls you should be going for when necessary.

Once again, keep in mind I'm only a G1 player, far from being very good at this game, so maybe all of this is completely useless to you.

No thank you, this is great analysis.

My play style is based on possession and picking the right pass, I am however terrible with through balls/long balls, more often than not the pass is either too strong or my opponents defender intercepts it.

While I agree my tackles are on the low side, I find simply running into my opponent will get the job done as well as ensuring my player doesn't get stuck in the "lunge" animation. But I do sometimes notice how when I try to manually switch to my CB's I go through my entire squad before getting to the right player and by then the ball is near my box. The better opponents I have faced are able to switch to their CB's and intercept the ball near 30 yard area and I'd like to know how they manage to player switch so effectively.

With the outscoring mentality in mind, that is the reason why I really like 4222. Yes, I'll concede but I will sure as hell will have an opportunity to score few of my own.

I try to take my shots when inside the box but there are times when I have to shoot when I'm just outside it due to the one depth players I am facing.

What formation/tactics do you use?

• jstracci
    293 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited June 16
    Same **** different day... Might be the Wall that I/you/us cannot overcome or something else, I just can't explain... anyways, that was great breaking down - thanks for taking the time and share it....it might show that there are many of us in the same boat... I think now it's about time to stop at only 14w...
  • iRusty_yo
    jstracci wrote: »
    Same **** different day... Might be the Wall that I/you/us cannot overcome or something else, I just can't explain... anyways, that was great breaking down - thanks for taking the time and share it....it might show that there are many of us in the same boat... I think now it's about time to stop at only 14w...

Thanks man, haha we're all in it together.

I can race up to 14 wins with ease, I have done it most WL's I play; its just having a great start gives you that hope that maybe this weekend will be the ONE.
  • Salvatori
    839 posts Semi-Pro
    Great read and self analysis mate. I try to do the same (Have a spreadsheet rather than screenshots) but i genuinely lose the will to do it most weekends. I want to analyse my weaknesses (i know i have many) but i find it impossible to differentiate now between what is me playing badly, and what is terrible gameplay / lag.

• iRusty_yo
    Salvatori wrote: »
    Great read and self analysis mate. I try to do the same (Have a spreadsheet rather than screenshots) but i genuinely lose the will to do it most weekends. I want to analyse my weaknesses (i know i have many) but i find it impossible to differentiate now between what is me playing badly, and what is terrible gameplay / lag.

Thanks man.

Should try it regardless, best way to learn right?

@JohnDoe made some really good points that I have previously been aware of so I’ll work on my passing to be more attacking.
  • freakjas

How do you know this?

Don't get me wrong, nor do I. There's always going to be someone better regardless of sex.

Thank you, I tried to analyze each game as much as I could during the weekend as I was drafting this thread.

Maybe due to my ELO being 5+ I get matched up against tougher opponents, but that doesn't make sense as only couple opponents were far better than me.

I've got a solid break plan system that I perform when playing Wl. I always play my games in the morning for the better connection as well as ensuring I don't neglect my responsibilities as a husband.

I'm certain the reason I get so many RQ's is because sometimes, weaker opponents just give up as they are convinced my team is playing by itself.

Yeah it probably doesn‘t make a difference which, you‘re most likely gonna have one point where you more losses than usual.

I myself just hit gold 1 again with one game left, needed 4 out of 5 and won my first 4 which was quite surprising.
    I honestly can‘t tell you what‘s the difference to other weeks where i didnt reach it. Maxbe the connection was better, i feel like thats a huge difference in terms of defending etc.
  • JohnDoe
    11253 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 16

My play style is based on possession and picking the right pass, I am however terrible with through balls/long balls, more often than not the pass is either too strong or my opponents defender intercepts it.

While I agree my tackles are on the low side, I find simply running into my opponent will get the job done as well as ensuring my player doesn't get stuck in the "lunge" animation. But I do sometimes notice how when I try to manually switch to my CB's I go through my entire squad before getting to the right player and by then the ball is near my box. The better opponents I have faced are able to switch to their CB's and intercept the ball near 30 yard area and I'd like to know how they manage to player switch so effectively.

With the outscoring mentality in mind, that is the reason why I really like 4222. Yes, I'll concede but I will sure as hell will have an opportunity to score few of my own.

I try to take my shots when inside the box but there are times when I have to shoot when I'm just outside it due to the one depth players I am facing.

Just try getting those through balls in. You have to try. I mostly just use plain simple Y-only through balls, and it works well, but I am fully aware that some of those through balls will be complete failures.

I can see why people don't tackle much, and I do think this FIFA is the worst when it comes to stand tackles, it absolutely does not reward manual defense. But I've been playing this way for years and I'm not too serious about the game, so I'd rather not change lol.

Regarding the player switching, what you're describing seems to be the way a lot Elite players defend. They just chase you around with their mids or attackers and hold second man contain, switching only when you fork up a pass. I don't defend that way, a lot of the times only my back line and CDM is facing the opponent's attackers, and I mostly jockey contain with my defenders and attempt a tackle when I think I can get the ball back. Definitely not how you should defend this year lmao. I switch using LB and mostly the right stick.

I used the 41212(2) for most of this year, intermittently with 4231(1) for the last couple of months, as I've been using worse teams since selling up for TOTS and I needed the defensive stability. Still, I use the 41212(2) when I need goals and it's my favorite formation. Much like the 4222, apparently, it's all about outscoring your opponent, as you're almost guaranteed to concede. Here are my 41212(2) CTs:

Defensive style: Press on heavy touch
    Width: 5
    Depth: 4

Attacking style: Balanced (nothing else feels as good for me)
    Players in the box: 6
    Free kicks: 3
    Corners: 3

CTs are:

STs: Stay central/Get in behind
    CAM: Stay forward
    CDM: Stay back/Cut passing lanes/Cover center
    LB/RB: Stay back

Everything/everyone else is on default.
  • Salvatori
    839 posts Semi-Pro
    Yeah in theory. Except i have entered WL maybe 15 or so times now. Bar the first 2, when i was pretty new to Fifa, i have finished with between 14 and 16 wins every single week (and i played all 30 games every time).

In that time, i have lost my way, gone down the sad 4231 drop back route, found my playing style, improved my gameplay. I have upgraded my team, time and time again........and yet, always in that tiny wind of end results......

I am not even saying i should be G2, but surely you would think i might sneak 17 once, and maybe fail to hit 14 the odd time........

Anyhow, i use a basic spreadie. I was tracking shots for each team, but really that is a pointless stat. I usually record a few and try and watch back but it is too frustrating at the moment

This is what i track for now (you can tell some of my comments are typed when raging haha)

e568ebd3b922b07dc5858f0d24148570.png
  • iRusty_yo

How do you know this?

Yeah it probably doesn‘t make a difference which, you‘re most likely gonna have one point where you more losses than usual.

I myself just hit gold 1 again with one game left, needed 4 out of 5 and won my first 4 which was quite surprising.
    I honestly can‘t tell you what‘s the difference to other weeks where i didnt reach it. Maxbe the connection was better, i feel like thats a huge difference in terms of defending etc.

Congrats dude! Hope your red picks are great.

It sad that connection has such a huge affect on the game.

I recall there was a thread while back on here about Fortnite having 100 players on huge map with no lag where as on FIFA we got two players on a small pitch struggling with connection
  • iRusty_yo
    edited June 16

Just try getting those through balls in. You have to try. I mostly just use plain simple Y-only through balls, and it works well, but I am fully aware that some of those through balls will be complete failures.

I can see why people don't tackle much, and I do think this FIFA is the worst when it comes to stand tackles, it absolutely does not reward manual defense. But I've been playing this way for years and I'm not too serious about the game, so I'd rather not change lol.

Regarding the player switching, what you're describing seems to be the way a lot Elite players defend. They just chase you around with their mids or attackers and hold second man contain, switching only when you fork up a pass. I don't defend that way, a lot of the times only my back line and CDM is facing the opponent's attackers, and I mostly jockey contain with my defenders and attempt a tackle when I think I can get the ball back. Definitely not how you should defend this year lmao. I switch using LB and mostly the right stick.

I used the 41212(2) for most of this year, intermittently with 4231(1) for the last couple of months, as I've been using worse teams since selling up for TOTS and I needed the defensive stability. Still, I use the 41212(2) when I need goals and it's my favorite formation. Much like the 4222, apparently, it's all about outscoring your opponent, as you're almost guaranteed to concede. Here are my 41212(2) CTs:

Defensive style: Press on heavy touch
    Depth: 4

Attacking style: Balanced (nothing else feels as good for me)
    Players in the box: 6
    Free kicks: 3
    Corners: 3

CTs are:

STs: Stay central/Get in behind
    CAM: Stay forward
    CDM: Stay back/Cut passing lanes
    LB/RB: Stay back

Everything/everyone else is on default.

ahhh ok, that makes sense what youre saying about elite style defending. I find it very effective yet it doesn't work as effectively for me as it does for them (because I am G2 player only lol)

I will try to make more through balls during the week and see how it works for me. :)

Thanks for your custom tactics, I was huge fan of 4312 last couple of years but this year it didnt work for me, I did see 41212(2) used fairly often this WL so will try it out myself also.

I can see that your custom tactics are very similar to mine when I use 4222.
  • iRusty_yo
    Salvatori wrote: »
    Yeah in theory. Except i have entered WL maybe 15 or so times now. Bar the first 2, when i was pretty new to Fifa, i have finished with between 14 and 16 wins every single week (and i played all 30 games every time).

In that time, i have lost my way, gone down the sad 4231 drop back route, found my playing style, improved my gameplay. I have upgraded my team, time and time again........and yet, always in that tiny wind of end results......

I am not even saying i should be G2, but surely you would think i might sneak 17 once, and maybe fail to hit 14 the odd time........

Anyhow, i use a basic spreadie. I was tracking shots for each team, but really that is a pointless stat. I usually record a few and try and watch back but it is too frustrating at the moment

This is what i track for now (you can tell some of my comments are typed when raging haha)

e568ebd3b922b07dc5858f0d24148570.png

oh wow, this is far more effective method of performing self analysis then what I did this weekend.

Feels like you're in the same situation as me, can't seem to break the cycle of always finish in the same rank.
  • iRusty_yo
    @Salvatori I see you've got Socrates too. Is that the PIM version? Where are you playing him? Mine is played at CCAM and he's bossing it for me.
  • freakjas

How do you know this?

I recall there was a thread while back on here about Fortnite having 100 players on huge map with no lag where as on FIFA we got two players on a small pitch struggling with connection

Got donnarumma and sirigu last week so hopefully this is gonna be more successful :D

We definitely need an improvement next fifa, like i played yesterday and it was just so delayed, it was unplayable.

But yeah thats one of the issues imo.
  • iRusty_yo

How do you know this?

Got donnarumma and sirigu last week so hopefully this is gonna be more successful :D

We definitely need an improvement next fifa, like i played yesterday and it was just so delayed, it was unplayable.

But yeah thats one of the issues imo.

I got myself De Jong & Van Persie as my Serie A picks were awful. I was excited for Ligue 1 TOTS but seeing Mbappe at ST & Neymar at CAM kinds ruins it for me. If by pure miracle I get Neymar as a pick, I dont think I'd be able to play him in my current squad.

Server connections issues is the most pressing issues EA has to deal with, yet all we get year on year is a new fancy add on in FUT and more flashy cards. :(
  • Salvatori
    839 posts Semi-Pro
    @Salvatori I see you've got Socrates too. Is that the PIM version? Where are you playing him? Mine is played at CCAM and he's bossing it for me.

Yeah PIM version. My team is pretty much end game. I originally did Socrates for CAM in a 352, and he was great there but i was struggling badly overall. He now plays CM in a 433(5) with "Get forward" and "get into the box".

He is a brilliant player in general, strong and his shooting from 15 - 20 yards is immense. Sadly he is not the type of player that does well in WL because of the slow gameplay. More agile players seem to respond better, and in my experience strength in WL is worthless. To show this is not jsut me being bitter, a few games ago i watched my TOTS Bruno Fernandes out strength the oppoents TOTS Marega :D Even better by the fact Marega was just on as a sub and Bruno had played 70mins so was knackered :D