Should skill moves be removed from fifa?

G000ner
4893 posts National Call-Up
There was a time when skill moves were a positive part of fifa. They were generally much more effective as there used to be no such thing as a bad touch- the ball was stuck to the feet when doing skill moves. Since the defending was legacy it made it much easier to get past someone using skills. The most popular fifa videos on youtube used to be goals compilations and skill tutorials rather than pack openings and wagers. Now the majority of skill moves are ineffective, but there is usually 3 or 4 overpowered skills. These same 3 or 4 skill moves are spammed in every 1 on 1 situation and it just looks and feels ridiculous. It's not even close to resembling real football.

Even if they nerf la croqueta and el tornado next year, there will be another overpowered skill move that people will spam the hell out of. So my proposal is to remove skill moves completely and focus on improving the dribbling mechanics (which are absolutely horrendous). Popular skills and touches (such as la croqueta) can naturally be implemented into a player's dribbling when using the left stick. This would stop the skill spamming and allow for a greater variety of goals to be scored. Let's be honest, skills are very rarely performed in high level football and they would not be missed in a football game. Dribbling is much more important, and the game mechanics should reflect this. We shouldn't see people go on "la croqueta runs" to avoid having to dribble.

In my opinion it would make the game much more enjoyable if they got rid of skill moves completely. What's your thoughts?

Comments

• Nope. All you have then is pace, pace and more pace. They just need to make it hard to pull the skill moves of. Inch perfect sequences or you fluff it and the ball roles away or you tumble.
  • Fifa 19 without skill moves would be park the bus vs park the bus
  • G000ner
    Fifa 19 without skill moves would be park the bus vs park the bus

That's because the mechanics are completely broken in fifa 19
  • G000ner
    GT500 wrote: »
    This might just be one of the dumbest things I’ve seen today

why do you think they should be kept?
  • Renamed123456
    6198 posts Big Money Move
    There should be a better skills and defending system.

They need to fix any skill deemed "Undefendable", but add more of a refined 1v1 control system.

There should be an element of animation involved if the defender gets tricked, but also am element of one player being able to get past their opponent by tricking them with moves.
  • Certain players will always spam something
    G000ner wrote: »

this year is bad, i haven't players fifa 16,17 or 18

but all the years before that there is always something in the mechanics thats broken
  • G000ner
    Certain players will always spam something

this year is bad, i haven't players fifa 16,17 or 18

but all the years before that there is always something in the mechanics thats broken

yes, but i'm still hopeful (even though I know it's unlikely), that one year they will get it right. This game is just far too imbalanced right now.
  • NathW90
    456 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Yep, completely unrealistic garbage.
  • Wooly1203
    3084 posts National Call-Up
    If they removed skills moves from the game, it would make things so boring and repetitive. They should find a way to keep them in the game but make them more realistic and maybe do a system where you’re not guaranteed to complete the move, but rather you are more likely to complete it based on the individual players skill rating. Not sure if that would work, but it would make it more realistic IMO.
  • RadioShaq
    16066 posts Moderator
    They need reworked. There should be more risk vs reward than just mindless spamming. Always been the most unrealistic part of the game though.
  • OZero
    6875 posts Big Money Move
    Should make it related to stamina

In real life if a player keep on playing tricks he should be knackered by half time
  • young_volki
    379 posts Sunday League Hero
    Completely remove la croqueta, dont even chain it. I hate it with a passion, el tornado isnt even half as annoying.
    Eventough these flick ups volleys crosses etc are too overpowered too. I wouldnt mind if they get rid of them all for FIFA 20
  • Retro_G
    33018 posts National Team Captain
    No, skills make the game more enjoyable. They could do with some balancing though, easy skill moves shouldn't be as effective. An advanced rainbow flick is fairly difficult to nail regularly because of the timing. Skill moves should require more timing. La Croqueta for example wouldn't be near as effective if you had to hold LS right, then move the LS left halfway through the animation and the left LS motion required timing.
  • Renamed123456
    6198 posts Big Money Move
    Retro_G wrote: »
    No, skills make the game more enjoyable. They could do with some balancing though, easy skill moves shouldn't be as effective. An advanced rainbow flick is fairly difficult to nail regularly because of the timing. Skill moves should require more timing. La Croqueta for example wouldn't be near as effective if you had to hold LS right, then move the LS left halfway through the animation and the left LS motion required timing.

Maybe moves like croq should be like...

Hold L1 hold RS right... at right moment flick RS right again.

If you mess up, you spill the ball.
  • Skill moves should take skill to do.
  • Orison
    55426 posts National Treasure
    No.

Just improve dribbling and touches and nerf AI defending.

Let people choose if they want to skill or dribble or do both. Why take things away.
  • HishamAyman
    3234 posts National Call-Up
    edited June 2019
    Fifa should be removed from EA
  • GT500
    732 posts Semi-Pro
    GT500 wrote: »
    This might just be one of the dumbest things I’ve seen today

why do you think they should be kept?

Because they exist in football. What’s the point of players like Ronaldinho and Neymar if you can’t skill. Just because you don’t like them should mean they should be removed to make the game easier for you.
  • xinj
    143 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    NO

I just posted this in a diff thread:

Skill moves is not the problem

The problem is:
    MANUAL defending is unrewarding and impossible this year!
    A skill move done in front of your defender makes him do a stupid lunge or "im suddenly blind" animation

They dont have to touch skill moves in fifa 20, or reduce the amount you can do in a row

If they make it rewarding to MANUALLY defend, it will be easy to defend a chain of skill moves!

ONLY a player youre NOT controlling should do those stupid lunges at a skill move,
    if youre manually defending cutting a passing lane AND and at the same time staying close to tackle, your defender should NEVER lunge at any skill move or pass
  • Vichy360
    264 posts Sunday League Hero
    Yes
  • Derryboy1893
    3564 posts National Call-Up
    Just mentioned this in anther thread but will drop it here too

They just need controlled. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

There needs to be a drain on the energy bar (just temp not overall stamina) for each skill move, bigger drain for a more complicated skill. When that bar drops below 50% you have a chance of losing control of the ball or even better just falling flat on your face.
    High skill /agility players should be able to string 3 or 4, guys like Phil Jones should fall flat on their face when they try to string 2 ball rolls together.

I believe this would be a fair and realistic solution and also not to difficult to implement.

Maybe an idea for the team to look at @EA_Andy
  • BossmanDaz
    96 posts Park Captain
    edited June 2019
    There does need to be a much more skilled way to pull them off, la croquetta is far too easy to perform bearing in mind how stupidly effective it is. I don't mind skill moves against me in certain situations but I've no time for people spamming/chaining them. I was here to play a little bit of football (yes I know of how difficult that can be) and not FIFA street.

I particularly dislike this attitude of "blame EA, not the player" - no, I'll blame them both for it in equal measure. EA should test these things out properly and iron out these things but players using it constantly are abusing a broken part of the game. It is a game, why is there a "I must win at all costs" mentality?

This whole "park the bus" is the reason for it attitude also stinks, so I take it you'd just prefer everyone to play with stupid amounts of space un behind so you can just go and score a lot of goals? Wouldn't that be convenient for you and stupidly lazy. For what it's worth, I play 4-2-4 with no drop back instruction so would not consider myself to be one of those people who choose to play on the break.

People need to take responsibility for how they play, hiding behind the broken aspects of the game is a cheap excuse. If you don't try to play a game of football, you shouldn't complain about how poor the game is as you don't have any intention of trying to play it in that way, you just want the easiest way to win - by any means. I just think it's a pity

I don't tar everyone with the same brush, there are those out there just want to play and enjoy football. Unfortunately, my own experience suggests they are in the minority.

My pennys worth, presume it'll not be all that welcome but never mind
  • Orison
    55426 posts National Treasure
    BossmanDaz wrote: »
    People need to take responsibility for how they play, hiding behind the broken aspects of the game is a cheap excuse. If you don't try to play a game of football, you shouldn't complain about how poor the game is as you don't have any intention of trying to play it in that way, you just want the easiest way to win - by any means. I just think it's a pity.

There is so much wrong with this one paragraph I don't even know where to start.

First of all the game is designed in a certain way. It's main modes are rivals and WL, both competitive modes that reward winning and have some sort of skillbased matchmaking. So the aim is to be as good as possible at Fifa. People are playing like the design of the game makes them play. It's not an excuse, it's a fact.

Second of all there is no "playing a game of football". You are using and abusing game mechanics like everyone else, the only difference is that you make up imaginary rules by sticking to abusing the "realistic" mechanics. Fifa is supposed to be a skillbased videogame and that means realism should be sacrificed for consistency at any point atleast in the "competitive" gamemodes. If you want realism, go and play friendlies or career mode.

Third of all ofc you should be able to complain even if you use all of those mechanics. One thing got nothing to do with the other. People use what works in this game, doesn't mean they can't wish for the game to be better. In LoL once a game mechanic is too op or gets abused too much it usually gets disabled and fixed within days despite many people jumping on the meta bandwagon. If anything the use by everyone forces the quick change in the first place meaning people who play by the meta are the ones pushing forward the game. It's just fifa where they advertise it as a competitive title and then hand out 7 patches, further breaking everything and then let the game alone.
  • Mido
    672 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited June 2019
    I wouldn’t say removed but some are just unrealistic. They need to implement something to stop people abusing certain moves. The la croqueta and el tornado are a joke. Just played a guy who’s sole focus was to get it to one of his front 3 and la croqueta until he was tackled or infront of goal, he must of used la croqueta over 50 times, when that is a players gameplan, you know the skill move is broke.

Happy with el tornado being removed as it’s the most unrealistic thing I have seen in the game. Bolasie did it like what? Once? And it was to get out of a tight space not to shoot or cross.
  • Low Ki
    12307 posts Has That Special Something
    edited June 2019
    They don't to be removed but they do need nerfs, like maybe cooldowns so you can't chain from one spin move into the other with no delay like some kind of infinite combo. Or using one to cancel out certain reaction animations to abuse that loophole for unrealistic shifts in movements that ignore the players own agility/balance stats.

Fighting games have this down by implementing framerate times and animations to make certain moves high risk/high reward if people want to spam them so good players can punish them for it when they whiff them.

I don't think that goes far enough though, they also need to tie it to the stamina meter or give skill moves their own HUD to limit. IRL they're really intensive to pull off in that sort of succession.
  • Mini_Miudo
    9988 posts Has That Special Something
    Mido wrote: »
    I wouldn’t say removed but some are just unrealistic. They need to implement something to stop people abusing certain moves. The la croqueta and el tornado are a joke. Just played a guy who’s sole focus was to get it to one of his front 3 and la croqueta until he was tackled or infront of goal, he must of used la croqueta over 50 times, when that is a players gameplan, you know the skill move is broke.

Happy with el tornado being removed as it’s the most unrealistic thing I have seen in the game. Bolasie did it like what? Once? And it was to get out of a tight space not to shoot or cross.

Bolasie does the Bolasie flick, not El Tornado. Pretty sure the latter's just made up by EA and was never performed IRL which is a joke...
  • BossmanDaz
    96 posts Park Captain
    Orison wrote: »
    BossmanDaz wrote: »
    People need to take responsibility for how they play, hiding behind the broken aspects of the game is a cheap excuse. If you don't try to play a game of football, you shouldn't complain about how poor the game is as you don't have any intention of trying to play it in that way, you just want the easiest way to win - by any means. I just think it's a pity.

There is so much wrong with this one paragraph I don't even know where to start.

First of all the game is designed in a certain way. It's main modes are rivals and WL, both competitive modes that reward winning and have some sort of skillbased matchmaking. So the aim is to be as good as possible at Fifa. People are playing like the design of the game makes them play. It's not an excuse, it's a fact.

Second of all there is no "playing a game of football". You are using and abusing game mechanics like everyone else, the only difference is that you make up imaginary rules by sticking to abusing the "realistic" mechanics. Fifa is supposed to be a skillbased videogame and that means realism should be sacrificed for consistency at any point atleast in the "competitive" gamemodes. If you want realism, go and play friendlies or career mode.

Third of all ofc you should be able to complain even if you use all of those mechanics. One thing got nothing to do with the other. People use what works in this game, doesn't mean they can't wish for the game to be better. In LoL once a game mechanic is too op or gets abused too much it usually gets disabled and fixed within days despite many people jumping on the meta bandwagon. If anything the use by everyone forces the quick change in the first place meaning people who play by the meta are the ones pushing forward the game. It's just fifa where they advertise it as a competitive title and then hand out 7 patches, further breaking everything and then let the game alone.

I play how I enjoy playing, that doesn't alter based on what is OP each year so I disagree that I abuse anything
  • Kalhead
    519 posts An Exciting Prospect
    In general I think most skill moves are fine. The Zidane turn, fake shot, step over they’re all useful but defendable. La Croqueta needs to be under powered. When you have a skill that pro players are just spamming consistently when they get anywhere near the box it’s broken. Even when you know it’s coming you can’t defend it and that’s stupid. The game should force attackers to be varied in how they both try and score and how they beat a man.
  • Kalhead
    519 posts An Exciting Prospect
    As for El Tornado keep it in but the difficulty level needs to be severely ramped up. Should require perfect angle and timing