Hit Rock Bottom. Prime Pele, Div 5 and a (second) plea for help.....

Comments

• Salvatori
    941 posts Semi-Pro
    Jeremy295 wrote: »
    Yeah I've had a bit of a slide in form too. I think it's pretty widespread.
    I'd has no one commented on 2 grubby squad names?? I'll allow OPs team name given how appalling his opponents is... How is there still no way to report that?!

Mine has been that since i started FUT :D But yeah thats standard fare the opponent. Most ****ish FUT players have some form of "yernan" or "Zahore" included in the name...........
  • mway
    872 posts Semi-Pro
    Play with NIF. You will start winning.
  • RayS
    25587 posts Player of the Year
    edited June 6
    A few things

1. Sorry FIFA has been so sucky for you. I've had those stretches of games where I wonder why I ever started playing this game :D
    2. Props to you for taking real steps to try to improve your game instead of just moaning and doing nothing
    3. Props to you for having a bit of a sense of humor (and self awareness) about the whole thing as well
    4. I've always found 3atb sides to be difficult to use online because I seemed to always concede more (it's easy for gaps to start appearing between your CBs bc you only have 3 players to span the whole field instead of the usual 4). Do you have to play 3atb? Could you switch to a more conventional (dare I say "META") 4231 or similar formation?
  • RayS
    5: your team is incredibly awesome
  • Salvatori
    941 posts Semi-Pro
    RayS wrote: »
    A few things

1. Sorry FIFA has been so sucky for you. I've had those stretches of games where I wonder why I ever started playing this game :D
    2. Props to you for taking real steps to try to improve your game instead of just moaning and doing nothing
    3. Props to you for having a bit of a sense of humor (and self awareness) about the whole thing as well
    4. I've always found 3atb sides to be difficult to use online because I seemed to always concede more (it's easy for gaps to start appearing between your CBs bc you only have 3 players to span the whole field instead of the usual 4). Do you have to play 3atb? Could you switch to a more conventional (dare I say "META") 4231 or similar formation?

Cheers man. Nah im not welded to 3 ATB at all, i have actually used 4 at the back for much of this woeful spell.

I had used a bit of 4231 like this , with these subs:

597dcfd3d6bafb4701dee1fbe9d6bd0a.jpg

Not played at all today / tonight, so i guess into WL with my terrible form we go........whast the chances i still get 14 wins......
  • Cphilly13
    170 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Watched all of it... the only thing i would be very critical of is that you nearly always pass forward, the goals u conceded came from losing the ball when u tried to go forward instead of making the easy pass. Team isnt the problem, neither are instructions or tactics... try holding on to the ball a bit more n u should be fine ;)
  • Salvatori
    941 posts Semi-Pro
    Cphilly13 wrote: »
    Watched all of it... the only thing i would be very critical of is that you nearly always pass forward, the goals u conceded came from losing the ball when u tried to go forward instead of making the easy pass. Team isnt the problem, neither are instructions or tactics... try holding on to the ball a bit more n u should be fine ;)

Cheers man, yeah i try to go backwards a bit but i obviously rush it too much. Everytime i try to go back i seem to immediately be rushed / pressed and struggle to maintain it.

Tried one game just now and its just disheartening. I won, but for 70mins i could not get my passes to go where i want. I dunno if that my camera view meaning im not being exact enouh on the direction or what. Also somehow everyytime i get in on goal or a good shooting chance, the power bar seems to go way high, way quickly. The amount of shots ballooned over the bar (like in one of my earlier clips with Socrates) is mad :(

That game was with 4231 and i still felt just as bad. Dunno what im gonna go with in WL
  • Salvatori
    941 posts Semi-Pro
    See sometimes this game is just baffling....... out of utter boredome, i decided to make a team with all the TOTS players i have packed / player picked. I had just enough for a team (had to buy a cheap TOTS Lb and use DDG in goal).

I set it to 433, not a single CT. The team had 60 chem:

ad2659e816763044eedc8eb8cfbac251.jpg

I got drawn against a guy with 3 Icons, including 94 R9, and TOTS Inaki up top. Top class team, yet i played just as well, probably better than i do with my full icon laden team. He only won because he abused mechanics, a near post corner then 2 scoop up crosses (which he couldnt even do properly, they didnt scoop but did the little running flick, but at HT he had brought on FB Ibra and NIF CR7 purposely do that :D)

• Renamed123456
    4467 posts Big Money Move
    Jeremy295 wrote: »
    I'll allow OPs team name given how appalling his opponents is... How is there still no way to report that?!

Seeing as in Squad Battles last week I played against "childmulesters" and some other crappy name I can't remember right now I'd hazard a guess they don't check this stuff so thoroughly
  • RayS
    Salvatori wrote: »
    A few things

Cheers man. Nah im not welded to 3 ATB at all, i have actually used 4 at the back for much of this woeful spell.

Not played at all today / tonight, so i guess into WL with my terrible form we go........whast the chances i still get 14 wins......

Team looks good! Just a few things
    1. Socrates might be a touch slow for a wide CAM. you might consider swapping him and Pele altho it's also great to have your best player central
    2. As good as Roberto Carlos is, the one thing he doesn't have is height. Do u find him getting beat much on back post headers?
    3. Rijkaard is decent, but if u have a chance, I'd definitely consider upgrading to Prime or Mid Vieira. (Is Rijkaard untradeable?). You could also consider a pacier partner at CDM. I'm really liking my partnership of TOTS Wijnaldum with Prime Vieira
  • Neal1982
    813 posts Semi-Pro
    3 ATB is asking for it in my opinion. You have to many great players, you need some glue between the wood. As in a proper CDM to play along side Rijkaard, Gerrard is wasted there. Try TOTS Community Can, he is a cheap rock.
    Get proper wide players not out of position defenders.
    Also Pele and CR7 I have found are lazy. Same as Messi.
    Try TOTS Son with one of them you may notice a massive difference.

When playing the game, keep possession, you have some lethal players who just create better chances for them and the take it!

Good luck
  • BayernBru
    351 posts Sunday League Hero
    @Salvatori fair play for your honesty in all of this. A lot of the individual errors you're making can only be improved on by practice. The fact you're actually able to analyse your game properly and clearly understand where you're going wrong in certain situations means you will get there in the end. It just takes time.

I've watched your video and aside from the sloppy individual errors you're making, two larger things associated to your overall game jump out at me: your formation and your style.

The 3 at the back formation just doesn't suit you. Defensively you're all over the place and that often happens with people in that formation, so it's best to get back to a conventional 4 at the back formation. This isn't going to resolve all your defensive problems overnight but it puts you in a much better position for building on your defensive play.

With regards to your style, you play a narrow game that is quite direct and rushed. When you're on the ball it feels like you're panicking and just want to move the ball forward as quickly as you can without reading whats going on in the game. You need to slow things right down, take your finger off of R2 and not be scared to hold possession and move it from side to side or backwards. You need to have patience and look to pull the oppositions players out of position and then move the ball into the space you've created. This then brings me back to your formation- on top of needing a 4 at the back formation you need to use a formation that has wide men in the form of RW/LWs or RM/LMs. In your current formation the RM and LM can become very isolated as there's no one ahead or behind to receive the ball. By having the wide men alongside fullbacks, you can utilise both of them when on the ball. This gives more options and allows you to stretch the pitch. By being able to stretch the pitch, it gives you more options and time, which will benefit you massively.

• Salvatori
    941 posts Semi-Pro
    A few things

Team looks good! Just a few things
    1. Socrates might be a touch slow for a wide CAM. you might consider swapping him and Pele altho it's also great to have your best player central
    2. As good as Roberto Carlos is, the one thing he doesn't have is height. Do u find him getting beat much on back post headers?
    3. Rijkaard is decent, but if u have a chance, I'd definitely consider upgrading to Prime or Mid Vieira. (Is Rijkaard untradeable?). You could also consider a pacier partner at CDM. I'm really liking my partnership of TOTS Wijnaldum with Prime Vieira

Cheers for that, appreciate the ongoing advice.

1. Yeah i think wide CAM is not perfect for Socrates, but also felt like Pele would be wasted out there. The other option is to sell / drop CR7, and combine Pele and Socrates as the central duo. Probably ties into whether i need to try a wide formation..
    2. To be honest i have never seen this - probably in DIv 5, and even 4, you get less far post cross spamming types. Or if they do try, they are not good enough to execute. I think really its G1 / elite players who are going to be good enough to take advantage of that
    3. Yeah its ironic to say a Prime icon is not really good enough now but he is the obvious weak link now. Shame as he was my first ever icon i think. I would love to get prime Vieira via his SBC but i doubt i can afford it. A great TOTS DM would also be nice but they seem rare....lets see what Serie A brings i suppose

Entire team is untradeable other than CR7 and the keeper (who i see no reason to change). In the 4231 version, Bernardo is also tradeable
    Neal1982 wrote: »
    3 ATB is asking for it in my opinion. You have to many great players, you need some glue between the wood. As in a proper CDM to play along side Rijkaard, Gerrard is wasted there. Try TOTS Community Can, he is a cheap rock.
    Get proper wide players not out of position defenders.
    Also Pele and CR7 I have found are lazy. Same as Messi.
    Try TOTS Son with one of them you may notice a massive difference.

When playing the game, keep possession, you have some lethal players who just create better chances for them and the take it!

Good luck

Thanks, yeah ive had success with 3 ATB but never consistently. You need to be having 60% possession i think to make it work and im not good enough. Will go back to the 4 for now.

Need to settle on my formation really. Another proper DM type alongside Rijkaard seems quite overkill and might leave me struggling a bit for creativity? But i do agree DM in a 4231 is not perfect for Gerrard.

I wont be replacing Pele and i am reluctant to get rid of CR7 as he is the sole bright spot for me usually, but fitting him and Pele and Socrates together might not be a realistic option. The 41212(2) is a perfect formation to fit all those players in, with pretty much all in spots they should thrive, but again i am maybe not good enough to be so narrow :(

I have PIM Figo as one top class wide man, so can easily buy a cheap (c200k) LW if i want to go back to having wide men.
    BayernBru wrote: »
    @Salvatori fair play for your honesty in all of this. A lot of the individual errors you're making can only be improved on by practice. The fact you're actually able to analyse your game properly and clearly understand where you're going wrong in certain situations means you will get there in the end. It just takes time.

I've watched your video and aside from the sloppy individual errors you're making, two larger things associated to your overall game jump out at me: your formation and your style.

The 3 at the back formation just doesn't suit you. Defensively you're all over the place and that often happens with people in that formation, so it's best to get back to a conventional 4 at the back formation. This isn't going to resolve all your defensive problems overnight but it puts you in a much better position for building on your defensive play.

With regards to your style, you play a narrow game that is quite direct and rushed. When you're on the ball it feels like you're panicking and just want to move the ball forward as quickly as you can without reading whats going on in the game. You need to slow things right down, take your finger off of R2 and not be scared to hold possession and move it from side to side or backwards. You need to have patience and look to pull the oppositions players out of position and then move the ball into the space you've created. This then brings me back to your formation- on top of needing a 4 at the back formation you need to use a formation that has wide men in the form of RW/LWs or RM/LMs. In your current formation the RM and LM can become very isolated as there's no one ahead or behind to receive the ball. By having the wide men alongside fullbacks, you can utilise both of them when on the ball. This gives more options and allows you to stretch the pitch. By being able to stretch the pitch, it gives you more options and time, which will benefit you massively.

Cheers for taking the time to watch that all the way through man - really appreciate you takin the time.

Defo gonna go to a back 4. I have always struggle a bit with 433 as i found the striker ends up isolated. The only one i did have some success with was 433(5). Will look at options though and see what i can identify as being a realistic option for me.

Yeah there is no doubt i rush things, the problem i have in my mind is everytime i try to slow down, i get immediately tackled! i suppose Div 4/5 has a lot of constant pressure spamming types. I think i am patient at the wrong times. I often will get right up to the edge of the area, then start passing around and back from 18 yards to 25 yards and side to side - its pretty tough to pull anyone out of position doing that. Need to try and get comfortable doing it deeper.

Really looking forward to this weekend league........ :D But nah joking aside, the amount of people taking time to give advice in this thread, i should really be able to improve just a slight amount. First up a couple of rivals games to settle on a formation to try this weekend
  • Midnight66
    47 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Keep your chin up man and remember it's only a game. I watched your match and my first impression was that you do tend to rush a little resulting in a bunch of unforced errors. If you take the time to slow down, play the ball into space and then look for alternative passes in your build up play then things might get better.

I'm just happy that I seem to be on a good run at the moment. I've finally managed to rise from the depths of division 10 to the soaring heights of division 7 and am winning way more than I'm losing. I've been concentrating on improving my defence, especially against opponents who use constant pressure from the start. In fact, I quite enjoy playing those games now, because chances are if I can hold them to a goal or two, and score a couple myself then by the 70 minute mark their players are knackered and I can almost score at will. I agree that the right stick switching can be random at times, but I find if I use LB first and then right stick to get the right player it's much easier.

There are still games when my team seems to play like a bunch of donkeys, passes go in entirely different directions to where I intended and shots hit the post or fly wide, but mostly on analysis I can put the blame squarely at my own feet; lack of concentration, not aiming just quite right etc. That's when I make an effort to slow down and concentrate properly and most of the time it gets better.

Here's my team. I use 41212 wide and I'm very happy with it, and it seems to suit my play style.

[img][/img]1zv4gp2.png

tyt78.png
  • Salvatori
    941 posts Semi-Pro
    Cheers @Midnight66 good to hear others are improving :)

It is no doubt also a bit about confidence. When you are losing so often and nothinig is going right, you dont have the confidence to try even basic skill moves (although today when i do, they dont work. fake shots end up as passes, la croqueta ends up with my player slowing to a halt!).

Its also a ***ing terrible match engine at its core, which makes it all the tougher. I just went on rivals, set up my team with 2 formations - 4231 wide and 433 (5), both in line with some of the feedback above. Dropped CR7 so i could have players in positions that suit them.

Played a game and although i was a bit better in possession, could only must 4 shots against a possession wh*re type who never really threatened beyond long shots, until the final minute when he scores this:

I mean, what can you do? My attacking play breaks down from a poor choice of pass in to Pele fair enough, but from there as he tries to break, i block him with Rijkaard, it breaks back to him, I intercept with Nesta, and try to clear, it bounces off him into the air towards my player. At no point here do i try to manually player switch, but ti is headed right for my VVD, but the game somehow player switches away from him, and being AI controlled he ignores the ball... even from there, we get another block chance, a save, and i still have no idea how it ends up in the net. What an amazing game this is :( WIll keep plugging away
  • Glass0nion
    3937 posts National Call-Up
    Delete all your squads.
    Start a new one in a different formation.
    Select players you like to use not by chemistry.
    Have fun and enjoy some wins.
    Repeat.
  • Midnight66
    Glass0nion wrote: »
    Delete all your squads.
    Repeat.

I see the value in this. I've concentrated on building a team which I appreciate and enjoy, with players who mean something to me personally ( I was born in 1966, hence I will NEVER give up Bobby Moore at CB), and whose play style I enjoy.

It's important to remember that it's a computer game, and as a computer game it's based on random numbers. You can stack the deck with high-stat players but sometimes the random numbers just don't come up in your favour. That keeps me from getting too disheartened when I lose a game I think I should have won, usually by a single goal scored in injury time!
  • nextqprmanager
    3324 posts National Call-Up
    Midnight66 wrote: »
    Delete all your squads.
    Repeat.

I see the value in this. I've concentrated on building a team which I appreciate and enjoy, with players who mean something to me personally ( I was born in 1966, hence I will NEVER give up Bobby Moore at CB), and whose play style I enjoy.

It's important to remember that it's a computer game, and as a computer game it's based on random numbers. You can stack the deck with high-stat players but sometimes the random numbers just don't come up in your favour. That keeps me from getting too disheartened when I lose a game I think I should have won, usually by a single goal scored in injury time!

cool - Moore not too slow?
  • ILevis
    785 posts Semi-Pro
    Kiido wrote: »
    If you are on Xbox I'd be more then happy to give you a game and tips based on that game if you like

Cheers man, sadly PS4.

If anyone is up for that (probably not this evening, fifa break for a few hours needed....) then id gladly take a 5 v 0 spanking if it at least meant i could understand why.

Tried one more game after the above, back to 41212(2) and lost 3 v 2. Again a full NIF team, including an off chem Mbappe at ST. I did at least create 2 goals this time, and missed some of the most amazing sitters ever, but again just seemed like my opponent was playing a different game at times.

Goals against were grim again, even if the first 2 are a bit lucky.

The 2 Socrates misses....the 2nd one i still dont know how its possible :D

I sent you a message with my psn name. If you want we can play against each other
  • Midnight66

cool - Moore not too slow?

Nope, slap a Shadow on him and he actually seems quite a lot quicker than his stats suggest. I find he can keep up quite well, plus he's very physical so all in all he's a bit of a beast.

• Salvatori
    941 posts Semi-Pro
    So uh........... yeah, all this shambles, played another rivals game, absolutely terrible. Offered nothing.

Decided what the heck, lets just start WL and take the beatings. Set up with 433 (5) and playing both Bruno Fernandes and Bernardo silva, as i seemed to be having more luck with small / agile players than strong and powerful ones lately.

Two games in WL, 2 rage quit wins before HT. 3 v 0 up inthe first, 2 v 0 in the 2nd and both times i had missed multiple 1 v 1 chances (blaming being out of practice.....forgot what a 1 v 1 is after the last week!)

Now granted, match making has been uber kind to me and both games were against NIF prem teams, the later including Chris Smalling, but those are exactly the teams who were smashing me around all week!

Lord only knows how to explain this. I will revert to getting spanked soon i am sure........
    ILevis wrote: »
    Kiido wrote: »
    If you are on Xbox I'd be more then happy to give you a game and tips based on that game if you like

Cheers man, sadly PS4.

If anyone is up for that (probably not this evening, fifa break for a few hours needed....) then id gladly take a 5 v 0 spanking if it at least meant i could understand why.

Tried one more game after the above, back to 41212(2) and lost 3 v 2. Again a full NIF team, including an off chem Mbappe at ST. I did at least create 2 goals this time, and missed some of the most amazing sitters ever, but again just seemed like my opponent was playing a different game at times.

Goals against were grim again, even if the first 2 are a bit lucky.

The 2 Socrates misses....the 2nd one i still dont know how its possible :D

I sent you a message with my psn name. If you want we can play against each other

Cheers man really appreciate that, let me find the message now
  • Salvatori
    941 posts Semi-Pro
    So i thought i should update this for some closure, since people took such time to help me out :)

I took a lot of the advice - set my team up in something with wingers (as alluded to above, went with 433). I sold CR7, and set the team up with players who best suited the system and style of play i wanted, rather than trying to shoehorn in players who are ill suited.

Slowed my game down a lot, introduced far more backwards passing to keep position and rush it less.

The actual result, in WL terms, was exactly what i alwys get (either 15 - 15 or 16 - 14, not played my last game yet since it means nowt). However the process / performances were a mile better. I stared to lose because of server lag and fifa BS, which in some ways was a relief..... at least i was not getting smashed up and down every single game.

If you had told me a few days ago that i could score goals as patient as this:

I would not believe it. I still make too many mistakes - very guilty of over playing (often end up with 60% possession and 8 shots!) and my finishing from inside the box is a shambles, despite the elite players i have, but it is at least a bit more enjoyable.
  • RayS
    Beautiful team goal man! I like the patient build up and it paid off! Do that on the regular and you could easily be a G2 it better player
  • Midnight66
    Good stuff!
  • Williejno1
    3084 posts National Call-Up
    Nice one man
  • Clanceypants
    455 posts Sunday League Hero
    I haven’t read everyone’s responses so apologies if this has already been said but I watched the first half and a few things stood out.

1) when defending you are chasing him down too much, change man and hold your shape better.
    2) I don’t know if it’s the video but it looks like you’re sprinting constantly. Take your time on attack, use the space, don’t always make the obvious pass, your passing is a little predictable and he is capitalising and blocking you. Also your players must be knackered by half time with all that sprinting!
    3) don’t be afraid to hold the ball a bit more and play back a bit around the box. You can’t outrun defenders most of the time in this game so you have to play round them. You get taken down trying to run into space to cross it in when you could have turned and passed back or even just cut in and you would have kept the ball.

Most importantly though I’d say relax. It’s only a game. The more worried you are about losing the more you’re going to panic when it starts to go against you. Who cares about what division you’re in, with all the rivals wins objectives people are dropping divisions on purpose so don’t be surprised you’re playing decent players. I’m constantly swinging between 750-1300 SR and I don’t feel like the standard is any different at either end (although I definitely get worse after a few beers 😂)
  • Salvatori
    941 posts Semi-Pro
    I haven’t read everyone’s responses so apologies if this has already been said but I watched the first half and a few things stood out.

1) when defending you are chasing him down too much, change man and hold your shape better.
    2) I don’t know if it’s the video but it looks like you’re sprinting constantly. Take your time on attack, use the space, don’t always make the obvious pass, your passing is a little predictable and he is capitalising and blocking you. Also your players must be knackered by half time with all that sprinting!
    3) don’t be afraid to hold the ball a bit more and play back a bit around the box. You can’t outrun defenders most of the time in this game so you have to play round them. You get taken down trying to run into space to cross it in when you could have turned and passed back or even just cut in and you would have kept the ball.

Most importantly though I’d say relax. It’s only a game. The more worried you are about losing the more you’re going to panic when it starts to go against you. Who cares about what division you’re in, with all the rivals wins objectives people are dropping divisions on purpose so don’t be surprised you’re playing decent players. I’m constantly swinging between 750-1300 SR and I don’t feel like the standard is any different at either end (although I definitely get worse after a few beers 😂)

Thanks man, very much valid, point 2 and point 3 defo i have improved a lot since i totally changed my formation and play style. I can now score nice build up goals like this routinely:

I still have the odd defensive issue and to be honest ive gone from feeling im bad at the game, to realising the game is just bad. Now i can really play the game, but all i see against me is packed penalty areas and 3 men left forward and quick hoofs / through ball spamming against me. Its pretty depressing and dull.

I suffer now because i play it around to much around the box, struggle to find that half hard for a shot and / or the final killer ball, usually because the box is so packed with players.

• lukey200
    795 posts Semi-Pro
    i beat you at WL i think or some team ver
    Delete all your squads.
    Repeat.

been doing this all FIFA but now i have untradeable BLANC vieira ibra - not much more coins left
  • Clanceypants
    455 posts Sunday League Hero
    Nice goal, good build up and you’re using the players to their potential more. Also nicer defending after the kick off. Changed back a lot quicker.
  • Salvatori
    941 posts Semi-Pro
    Now i conceded nonsense like this:

Now , i give the ball away here fair and square (I asked aspas to pass it back to where it came, but he tries a different pass - aconstant issue for me!!) and from there i am up against it. Try an ill judged tackle with the centre back, but Carlos should have Inaki covered.......however what bothers me about this, is the shot goes litterally right where DDG is standing. But its the broken low drive shot mechanic of course, so he dives out of the way.

Then of course:

Did someone say broken mechanics? First of all, i find it 100% impossible to get my keeper to take a goal kick to where i am. In this game, his formation had both FBs covered, and my front 3 are small / cant jump. He covered the DC's aggresively, leaving the DM open for a chip pass. Tried 5 times in this game, varying amounts of power, varying left stick aim, every single time it went to the CMs instead, who are both marked, and short.

From there, sure there are things i can do better after the FK, but its so hard to care about them because its another stupid first time angled shot.

makes it tough to want to improve when you know you have (as in i have since the opening videos, a lot) but instead you are just fighting the broken game.

Then of course in the last seconds, i manage to launch a counter, play it nicely, but no, super keeper time..........so my DDG cant save a low shot smashed right at him, but his Ederson can somehow react to a power near post finish from a TOTS player. Ok..........Next.