Defending the near post in corners

RealAbed
92 posts Has Potential To Be Special
edited May 2019
I have players like VVD, Blanc, Sandro, Auba and Pogba but somehow I end up with Ben Yedder defending the near post in corners infront of Ibra. Just a simple thing caused me a lot of goals

Comments

• SpiderMonkeybpg
    3508 posts National Call-Up
    Shoot yeah I need help on this 2
  • nicitel32
    3001 posts National Call-Up
    u have to manually select the tall player and put infront of the post...of course u have to push at least 4 times the button to select the right player, so u have to do it fast, because the coding is just rubbish
  • keronc
    1092 posts Professional
    Manually move on of your taller players to that spot and get in front of the striker. That is how I defend Ibra, CR7 and any other good header at the near post.
  • EA_Andy
    3378 posts EA Staff (retired)
    I do the same as above - move my tallest player there if I think they're going near post, just to make sure it's covered.

It is something the game play team is aware of though so hopefully we can get a better solution to that in the future.
  • xEB50x
    134 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    It's based on where they are positioned in your formation. I had this problem with Kante always being in near post. He was my RCM, so I switched Gullit to RCM to start game, then dpad switch the two when game starts and Gullit will guard the post. Check out where your small player starts the game (position) and give it a try.
  • gizzzzy
    710 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Move youre keeper to the near post
  • RealAbed
    EA_Andy wrote: »
    I do the same as above - move my tallest player there if I think they're going near post, just to make sure it's covered.

It is something the game play team is aware of though so hopefully we can get a better solution to that in the future.

Thanks
  • RealAbed
    xEB50x wrote: »
    It's based on where they are positioned in your formation. I had this problem with Kante always being in near post. He was my RCM, so I switched Gullit to RCM to start game, then dpad switch the two when game starts and Gullit will guard the post. Check out where your small player starts the game (position) and give it a try.

Interesting, I'll give it a try
  • Retro_G
    33023 posts National Team Captain
    edited May 2019
    gizzzzy wrote: »
    Move your keeper to the near post.

• '96dc2
    9060 posts League Winner

That’s ok when players switching works, most of the time your mashing the controller like a lunatic trying to select VVD. Meanwhile Ronaldo is off shhhing and dabbing at the halfway line after scoring his hat trick of near post headers 🤦‍♂️
  • EA_Andy
    3378 posts EA Staff (retired)
    '96dc2 wrote: »

That’s ok when players switching works, most of the time your mashing the controller like a lunatic trying to select VVD. Meanwhile Ronaldo is off shhhing and dabbing at the halfway line after scoring his hat trick of near post headers 🤦‍♂️

First issue is probably the mashing the controller part.

Try using the right stick on corners to select the player you want. Works fine for me.
  • '96dc2
    9060 posts League Winner

Try using the right stick on corners to select the player you want. Works fine for me.

Ok, I’ve only been playing computer games for 30 years. Must be doing it wrong buddy 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • oldboiler
    5163 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2019
    Alonso always marks the near post for me so I instantly switch to him. Eitherway headers are over powered, you could have 11 Peter Crouch’s defending corners and it would still be a lottery
  • Dth83
    510 posts An Exciting Prospect

Thanks for letting us know that the devolopers are aware of this. I guess we won't see the solution until fifa 20 though
  • keronc
    1092 posts Professional
    Retro_G wrote: »
    gizzzzy wrote: »
    Move your keeper to the near post.

Just a little hint. The player with a running start usually jumps higher. Just move forward just before you jump. I have Seedorf winning near post headers from Ibra etc. Every now an then I miss time the jump and get beaten to the header but 9 out of 10 times I will win the header.
  • Salvatori
    2052 posts Fans' Favourite
    I find this issue a bit annoying. In my previous formation (352) it was not bad as CR7 seemed to be set to cover the post. but since moving to 41212 it seems to always be Bernardo Silva. Must try out the formation thing mentioned. Much as i want it to be either CR7 or VVD, i could live with it being Rijkaard i think.

Its all very well saying manually move, but if the opponent happens to have a setup where Ibra is already at the near post, he can hit the corner quicker than you can switch and move, even using right stick :(
  • Gooner_bna
    59 posts Park Captain

Playing switching is broken, right stick or not. It has always been an issue in FIFA, more so in 19.
  • keronc
    1092 posts Professional
    There might be something to this formation thing. Now that I think of it, Seedorf (my near post man) is my RCDM. He is the near post man regardless of which side the corner is on.
  • SmokeSwift1
    4385 posts National Call-Up
    edited May 2019
    Just move the kepper little to the near post as soon as the corner is kicked, press triangle to charge him he will catch it.
    If you control a defender, sometimes you won't be fast enough or against cr7 or Ibrah it's useless.
  • Jimb0d
    203 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Set the little guys who keep appearing there to 'stay forward' in custom tactics. I've ended up with big sol playing near post now, which is pretty sweet.
  • forearms
    6031 posts Big Money Move
    Hopefully this is different on 19 but I doubt it (still playing some 18). How can I get more outlets on corners? I can be on "all out attack" with all forwards set to "stay forward" yet I only ever have 1 player out of the box when defending corners. I was on the above tactics last game and had NO outlets at all in the second half. I would like to have at least 2 players at times.