Newcastle United - The Takeover

Comments

• JoshDFC
    2007 posts Fans' Favourite
    nHG2bfc.png

Sheffield United (5-2-1-2): Henderson, Freeman, Basham, Egan, O’Connell, Stevens, Coutts, Norwood, Dowell, Hogan, Tavares
    Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie, Shelvey, Cook, Fraser, Almiron, Sturridge

Q: Rafa another draw to start the season in a game that you dominated but Sheffield United looked dangerous on the counter. What are your thoughts on the match?
    Benitez: It was another game we deserved to win but we didn’t win today because of our own faults in front of goal. I thought we defended well Sheffield were happy with a point but they were dangerous on the counter and it was important that we kept on our concentration, we are disappointed not to win but these games happen in a season and we have to react because now we have a lot of tough games coming up and we need to try and pick up as many points as possible.

orHuL3D.png

Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie, Shelvey, Cook (Valverde, 70), Fraser, Almiron (Sturridge, 70), Perez
    Chelsea (4-3-3): Kepa, Zappacosta, Cahill, Kimpembe, Emerson, Drinkwater, Luis Alberto, Barkley (Kante, 60), Willian (Pedro, 77), Higuain (Taylor-Crossdale, 83), Hazard

Q: Rafa your first loss of the season how disappointing is it to lose after twice leading?
    Benitez: It is very frustrating to lose because I thought we were fantastic for the first half but in the second half Chelsea were very good and made things difficult for us. I think we were very unlucky because at 3-2 we hit the post and then two minutes later Chelsea made it four and it was very difficult after that. Sometimes football is cruel we deserved a point but Chelsea’s quality showed and they punished us for the mistakes we made.

5fsvkoi.png

Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Schar, Firpo (Barreca, 85), Ritchie, Ki Sung Yueng, Valverde (Dummett, 69), Kenedy, Almiron (Perez, 45), Sturridge
    Reading (4-2-3-1): Martinez, Yiadom, McShane, Miazga, Blackett, Baker (Ejaria, 69), Rinomhota (Kelly, 59), McCleary, Swift, Barrow, Oliveira (Bodvarsson, 85)

Q: Rafa a comfortable win after a strong first half but are you frustrated with the second half and in particularly Kenedy’s straight red card?
    Benitez: The second half we were in control, Reading had a lot of the ball in their half passing sideways but we had no reason to close them down when three goals ahead so we let them play there but they never threatened our goal so why would I be frustrated with that? The red card I think Kenedy is frustrated he is a young player he can be like this sometimes, I thought even though we lost the referee didn’t protect us we should have had two penalties in the first half which weren’t given and when every decision goes against you sometimes you lash out and Kenedy did today.
  • JoshDFC
    Frzm36R.png

Manchester City (4-3-3): Ederson, Danilo, Otamendi, Mendy, Fernandinho, De Bruyne (B.Silva, 65), Gundogan (D.Silva, 61), Sterling, Aguero, Sane
    Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie, Shelvey, Cook, Fraser, Almiron (Velverde, 45), Perez

Q: Rafa a tough game away from home made a lot harder by Jonjo’s red card in the first half. What did you think of the game today?
    Benitez: It was a tough match before the game we knew that and obviously when Jonjo was sent off it made it even more difficult but we will try to bounce back from this defeat. We aren’t happy with our start but also we understand that some of our performances have deserved more then what we have got out of them so it’s one of those things we know we have more to offer but Rome wasn’t built in a day Man City didn’t reach their level over night we still have catching up to do.

jlvJuQ0.png

Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie, Valverde (Ki Sung Yueng, 68), Cook, Fraser, Almiron (Perez, 68(Rondon, 75)), Sturridge
    Arsenal (4-2-3-1): Cech, Juanfran, Koscielny, Glik, Kolasinac, Torreira (Xhaka, 57), Elneny, Mkhitaryan, Ozil, Iwobi (Di Maria, 45), Aubameyang (Lacazette, 68)

Q: Rafa after going one down and have to play the last eight minutes with ten men is that a good point for your side?
    Benitez: Yes I think we can be happy with a point in this match, we played a very competitive game against a team that are going to be fighting for the top four. I don’t think it was a red card it was a challenge for the ball which was a little late but a red card is the wrong decision in my opinion, we know officials have a difficult job especially in England because they get most of the big decisions wrong and when they are criticised for it the person who is being honest is punished. Ayoze we hope his injury isn’t serious he came off as a precaution but we will see.

UfjJPZk.png

Crystal Palace (4-4-2): Guaita, Ward, Dann, Sakho, van Aanholt, Herrmann, McArthur (Kouyate, 54), Milivojevic (Davies, 67), Zaha (Benteke, 83), Ayew, Batshuayi
    Newcastle (Davies, 67)United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie (Kenedy, 90), Shelvey, Valverde (Ki Sung Yueng, 67), Fraser, Almiron, Sturridge

Q: Rafa a superb win away from home, how happy are you with that result?
    Benitez: I thought we were outstanding today, we created a lot of chances and really dictated the play. We have been unfairly criticised for our start with people saying we shouldn’t be in the relegation zone but we had a tough start and I thought in those games we showed that we have a lot of ability and we have the potential to match up against the top teams. It is exciting times at this club we have already started discussing what we want in January and the players we are speaking about are players that will take this club up one or two levels they are world class talents believe me.

v36hsBg.png

Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie (Fraser, 75), Shelvey (Valverde, 66), Ki Sung Yueng, Kenedy, Perez, Rondon (Muto, 82)
    Aston Villa (4-3-3): Kalinic, Kwateng, Tuanzebe, Chester, Taylor (Hause, 82), Hourihane, Bjarnason (Grealish, 64), McGinn, Elmohamady, Abraham, El Ghazi

Q: Rafa after equalising so late on how disappointing is it to go out on penalties?
    Benitez: We only have ourselves to blame for not scoring more of the chances that we created, it was a game we dominated for large periods and we never really tested the keeper other then the goal. We missed Danny (Sturridge) I think up front because we created chances but there was nobody t finish them I think it was my mistake thought maybe I played Ayoze (Perez) to deep I don’t know we will see but we know we need more from the team.

FiBMlQD.png

Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie, Shelvey, Valverde (Ki Sung Yueng, 83), Fraser, Almiron (Perez, 66), Sturridge
    Leicester City (4-3-3): Schmeichel, Pereira, Evans, Maguire, Klostermann, Tousart, Ndidi, Mendy, Ghezzal (Otavio, 66), Vardy, Barnes (Albrighton, 56)

Q: Rafa did you make that harder then you should have after going 2-0 up?
    Benitez: I think we were fantastic for the first half an hour then maybe took our foot of the gas and our game management was poor which allowed them back into the game. We were playing a team that have started the season superbly who are in the top four but we outplayed them and we deserved to score our goal because we hit the post and Danny missed a sitter. It was a great game but we still know we have room for improvement we are working already for January and we have highlighted some targets to take us up a level.

ynU3HyS.png
  • Stlducks
    1424 posts Professional
    Tough stretch of results but it seems like you played every top team in the league. The cup loss is hard to take, scoring in the final minute only to lose in pens.

Is it concerning you have 3 red cards in this stretch? Is that the play style or undisciplined players?
  • Ashy
    9481 posts League Winner
    Not really going too well in the league but we need to have some perceptive on the teams you have faced, Newcastle had a really tough start fixture wise so it was key to win the last 2 games against Palace and Leicester.
    Firpo is a cool addition too I like that
  • JoshDFC
    Stlducks wrote: »
    Tough stretch of results but it seems like you played every top team in the league. The cup loss is hard to take, scoring in the final minute only to lose in pens.

Is it concerning you have 3 red cards in this stretch? Is that the play style or undisciplined players?

The Cook red card I thought was harsh, The Kenedy card I was frustrated as I don't think we were getting decisions we deserved and the Shelvey red was two bookings the second was one of them the minute he didn't win the ball I knew he was off
    Ashy wrote: »
    Not really going too well in the league but we need to have some perceptive on the teams you have faced, Newcastle had a really tough start fixture wise so it was key to win the last 2 games against Palace and Leicester.
    Ashy wrote: »

It was exceptionally tough the start we had but we aren't in a really bad position and now we have faced the really tough teams we can start to put a good run together and move up the table.
  • WestardLord
    1437 posts Professional
    The Palace result seems especially troubling simply because they're a fellow mid table team. Otherwise, those are tough opponents, and a good win against Leicester.
  • ElMarcos
    156 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Tough opening schedule. Picking up nine points having already faced Chelsea, City and Arsenal is not bad.
  • JoshDFC
    9nvHjCU.png

Manchester United (4-1-2-1-2): De Gea, Roberto, Gimenez, Jones, Shaw (Darmian, 83), Herrera, Fred, Pogba, Lingard, Lukaku, Rashford (Martial, 58)
    Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie, Shelvey, Cook (Ki Sung Yueng, 72), Fraser (Kenedy, 83), Almiron, Sturridge

Q: Rafa a stunning performance from your side coming from behind to beat Manchester United at Old Trafford. How happy are you with that performance?
    Benitez: I am over the moon with this performance, we knew we had the ability to beat Manchester United and we are happy we have managed to achieve this aim. We were very good in the middle of the park Jonjo (Shelvey) and Lewis (Cook) were exceptional they kept the ball well but even better was the pressure they put on off the ball, Lew missed the last three games but slotted straight back in. Our signings have made a real impact since joining despite criticism that we didn’t sign any so called stars we signed players we needed who can help us reach the next level but are still young and can grow as the club does.

Q: Danny after a bit of a slow start both the team and yourself have started to hit some form. You got a lot of boos today from the crowd does that affect you at all?
    Sturridge: No if I’m being honest it doesn’t affect me because I expected the crowd to be on my back, I used to play for Liverpool and Manchester City who are the two biggest rivals of the club. We got off to a poor start in the season but it was a tough start and we always had confidence that we would be able to pick up some results. I’m happy to be scoring goals for the team and we are all excited about the future of this club and I believe the fact the club is on the up is helping the morale of fans and players

vTGbpWz.png

Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie, Shelvey, Cook (Valverde, 67), Fraser (Kenedy, 67), Almiron, Sturridge (Perez, 79)
    Brighton (4-3-3): Ryan, Mario Gaspar, Duffy, Dunk, Pedraza, Propper, Kayal (Bissouma, 67), Grob, Jahanbakhsh, Andone (Murray, 79), Izquierdo (Johnson, 66)

Q: Rafa a comfortable win in the end in a game where we may have seen one of the goals of the season. What are your thoughts on that game today?
    Benitez: I believe that we deserved to win the match, the first half I thought Brighton caused us a lot of problems they kept the ball very well and created some chances but we scored two great goals. The second half we kept the ball better and we were in control which was important because at 2-0 if they score one then they believe they will get another so we had to keep our levels high. I thought Miguel (Almiron) goal was exceptional the technique he has is brilliant and he is going to be important for this team moving forwards and then Danny showed why we brought him in with another goal.

X3RQvFC.png

Southampton (5-2-3): McCarthy, Valery, Bednarek, Stephens, Yoshida, Targett, Ward-Prowse, Reed (Hojbjerg, 54), Sims (Elyounoussi, 45), Long (Ings, 59), Atsu
    Newcstle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie, Shelvey (Valverde, 68), Cook, Fraser (Kenedy, 87), Almiron, Sturridge (Perez, 67)

Q: Rafa three wins out of three in October, although it took quite a bizarre goal from your team which has infuriated Ralph Hasenhuttl who believes his keeper was fouled by Sturridge for the goal. How happy are you with your sides form and do you think it was a foul?
    Benitez: I believe it was a strange goal, I’m not sure I have seen this happen before but to say it is a foul is strange because all Daniel did was stand up and the keeper fell because his leg was on Danny’s shoulder and he drops the ball and Daniel pokes it home. I think it is the correct call Daniel did nothing wrong he stood up the keeper had his leg in a strange position and Danny took advantage. Our form is great three wins out of three with two clean sheets is excellent and we will hopefully keep our good form going.

6xBoLEZ.png
  • WestardLord
    1437 posts Professional
    Nice. Much better run here. Sturridge seems to be in great form.
  • JoshDFC
    kpIV9YP.png

Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie (Kenedy, 81), Valverde (Shelvey, 80), Cook, Fraser, Almiron (Perez, 80), Sturridge
    Watford (4-2-2-2): Foster, Femenia, Gouweleeuw, Kabasele, Masina, Cleverly, Doucoure, Hughes (Sema, 80), Pereyra, Success (Deulofeu, 61), Gray

Q: Rafa after taking the lead against a team that are struggling for form are you disappointed you haven’t come away with the victory here today?
    Benitez: Yes we’re very disappointed that we haven’t managed to secure the victory that our fans deserved here today. I think it was an even game but we took the lead and should have done better once we had the lead, we stopped playing completely and let Watford back in and they scored a goal which was very avoidable. The keeper can come for it I think but also the defenders can’t be letting Will Hughes win a header in our six yard box he is one of the smallest players there but he wanted it more.

y4lFrX2.png

Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie, Valverde, Cook (Shelvey, 80), Fraser, Almiron (Perez, 62), Sturridge
    Bournemouth (4-4-1-1): Boruc, Clyne, Mepham, Simpson, Rico, Brooks, Lerma, Surman (Gosling, 62), Stanislas (Umar, 72), King, Wilson

Q: Rafa a late winner to secure the three points. How impressive has Sturridge been since joining your side as he scored yet another goal today?
    Benitez: He has been exceptional and that is why it has been difficult for Ayoze (Perez) to get as much game time as he would have liked, but today he came off the bench and scored a crucial goal which has helped the team. Ayoze is still only young and is still improving but when Danny is playing the way he is he is one of the best strikers in the country, I remember his quality when he played with Luis Suarez at Liverpool and I think that is the Sturridge we are seeing at the moment.

1wQEyKg.png

Burnley (4-4-2): Hart, Sidibe, Long, Gibson, Taylor, Gudmundsson, Hendrick (Cork, 45), Sabitzer, McNeil, Wood (Fullkrug, 55), Barnes (Blandi, 75)
    Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie (Kenedy, 75), Valverde (Shelvey, 70), Cook (Ki Sung Yueng, 86), Fraser, Almiron, Sturridge

Q: Rafa after going behind so late how happy are you to get the draw and keep your unbeaten run going?
    Benitez: I am really happy that we showed the togetherness to go again after they scored, I thought it was our best spell in the match just before their goal so it was really disappointing to concede when we did. Burnley have been brilliant this season and they deserved a point today, they are playing some really good football and they caused us a lot of problems. They invested wisely bringing in Marcel Sabitzer and Sidibe joined on loan and they have added real quality to an already great team.
  • ElMarcos
    Sturridge seems to be on quite a run! Great addition to your team! Almíron also is proving his worth.
  • JoshDFC
    ElMarcos wrote: »
    Sturridge seems to be on quite a run! Great addition to your team! Almíron also is proving his worth.

Sturridge has always been a top player his problem was always that he picked up injuries
  • JoshDFC
    DbCWx2m.png

Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie, Valverde (Shelvey, 63), Cook, Fraser (Kenedy, 70), Almiron, Sturridge (Perez, 70)
    West Ham United (4-1-4-1): Fabianski, Rafael, Diop, Balbuena, Cresswell, Obiang (Sanchez, 63), Yarmolenko (Perez, 83), Nasri, Wilshere (Antonio, 70), Felipe Anderson, Arnautovic

Q: Rafa a great win for your side but were you a little nervous when West Ham pulled two goals back?
    Benitez: No not really because I had faith in our team, we had a lapse in concentration but then we reacted in the best way and we deserved to score again. We have had pressure put on us because of the takeover but we haven’t really spent that much since the takeover because it happened in August and we didn’t really know about budgets and things like that but now we do in January we hope we can add one of two players and we are already working on them deals because it is hard in January. I’m not saying we will announce any signings any time soon but we will hopefully add one or two in January we will see.

8dZtQYk.png

Everton (4-2-3-1): Pickford, Coleman, Zouma, Mina, Grimaldo, Gomes, Gueye, Walcott (Kamano, 74), Sigurdsson, Bernard (Calvert-Lewin, 64), Richarlison
    Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie (Perez, 74), Shelvey, Cook (Ki Sung Yueng, 62), Fraser, Almiron, Sturridge

Q: Rafa a very disappointing result for your side today, what went wrong in your opinion today?
    Benitez: We were very poor today that is what cost us, we struggled to keep the ball and when you play a team like Everton you have to do better in possession otherwise they will destroy you. Gylfi is the top scorer in the league and we gave him to much space and it cost us, he scored a wonder strike and the other he just ran through the centre and picked the ball up it isn’t the performance we wanted but we will have t react and bounce back from this.

mBSvXEI.png

Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie (Kenedy, 64), Shelvey (Ki Sung Yueng, 83), Cook, Fraser (Perez, 87), Almiron, Sturridge
    Wolves (5-3-2): Patricio, Doherty, Bennett, Dendoncker, Boly, Jonny (Vinagre, 60), Gibbs-White, Moutinho, Neves (Adama, 72), Costa, Jimenez

Q: Rafa back to back defeats for your team. What are your thoughts on todays game?
    Benitez: I think that Wolves dominated the first half and deserved their lead at the break, the second half I thought was more even with both teams having chances their keeper made some great saves to keep them in the lead and we couldn’t find the goal to equalise. We are disappointed with the goal we conceded because the keeper should be saving it but he has apologized for his error and we move on to the next game and try to find the correct result.

uM0gZ4b.png

Norwich City (4-2-3-1): Krul, Aarons (Pinto, 73), Klose, Hanley, Lewis, Tettey, Trybull, Ibarra (Buendia, 86), Cantwell (Vrancic, 56), Hernandez, Pukki
    Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie (Kenedy, 60), Shelvey (Valverde, 73), Cook (Ki Sung Yueng, 86), Fraser, Almiron, Sturridge

Q: Rafa another defeat that’s three losses in a row are you at all concerned by your teams form?
    Benitez: We are obviously disappointed that we haven’t been picking up the results we want but these things happen during the season, it is how we respond that will determine our season. We aren’t even halfway through the season yet but we are still in a strong position in the league being seventh at this point we are very happy but we have the pressure we should automatically be better because we have been taken over which is a load on nonsense our aim is that we will get better but we have to be patient.

05BHX0X.png

Newcastle United (4-5-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie (Perez, 79), Shelvey (Ki Sung Yueng, 71), Cook, Valverde, Fraser (Kenedy, 72), Sturridge
    Aston Villa (4-3-3): Kalinic, Kwateng, Chester, Tuanzebe, Taylor, Hourihane, Grealish, McGinn, Elmohamady (Green, 71), Kodija (Abraham, 79), El Ghazi (Sears, 60)

Q: Rafa after leading twice is it disappointing to draw at home to bottom of the league?
    Benitez: It is disappointing that we haven’t won the game because we led twice and controlled most of the game. In the first half we should have been three or four up but the keeper made some great stops and they defended bravely then in the second half they played a lot better and caused us problems but we still had the better chances and should have won the match. It is disappointing because that’s four games without a win but some of them games we have deserved to win and that’s whats is difficult to take.

eJzP6Pr.png

Liverpool (4-3-3): Kelleher, Calabria, Matip, van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Keita (Oxlade-Chamberlain, 75), Herrera, Salah (Shaqiri, 73), Firmino, Mane
    Newcastle United (4-5-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie, Shelvey, Cook, Valverde (Ki Sung Yueng, 73), Fraser, Sturridge (Muto, 86)

Q: Rafa how disappointing is it to have conceded so late to lose the match today?
    Benitez: It is very disheartening because we played so well but when playing against a team like Liverpool they all ways seem to find a way to score and today they left it late. We didn’t test their keeper enough considering he was third choice with Alisson and Mignolet injured we should have put him under pressure but we never did and he’s walked away with a clean sheet. We are obviously disappointed with our recent run of results but we are confident we can get back on track we just need to go back to basics. I feel today we missed Miguel (Almiron) but he has one more game of his ban then we will have him back.

T7g48Q3.png

Watford(4-2-2-2): Dahlberg, Femenia, Kabasele (Gouweleeuw, 77), Cathcart, Manquillo, Cleverley, Doucoure, Hughes (Sema, 66), Pereyra, Gray (Success, 45), Deeney
    Newcastle United (4-5-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Ritchie, Shelvey (Sturridge, 74), Cook (Dummett, 74), Ki Sung Yueng, Fraser (Kenedy, 74), Perez

Q: Rafa that’s six games without a win for your side heading into a month where you ply Manchester united, Manchester City and Chelsea are you concerned with your sides form?
    Benitez: We are concerned that we haven’t won but today we showed a lot of character because the first half Watford dominated but we defended well and when they scored we reacted straight away to equalise. The market is open now so we can work on some deals, we have our targets and we will hopefully be able to add a couple this month to help us find our form and push up the table the aim is still a top seven finish.

fgsANcf.png

• ElMarcos
    Tough serie of games. Also good to see Sturridge has stayed healthy. Interesting to see which new signings you will bring the Toon.
  • JoshDFC
    SvRPjtB.png

Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Dummett, Ritchie (Kenedy, 57), Valverde, Cook (Shelvey, 71), Fraser (Perez, 85), Almiron, Sturridge
    Manchester United (4-3-1-2): De Gea, Roberto, Rojo (Bailly, 60), Lindelof, Chilwell, Herrera, Pogba, Fred, Lingard, Lukaku (Martial, 57), Rashford (Bohui, 65)

Q: Rafa another loss for your side, there is speculation now surrounding your future does this concern you at all?
    Benitez: No I’m not thinking about this, I have spoken to the board about my transfer targets and we are planning for next month. Obviously we are all unhappy with the form we have shown recently but we are working hard to get back on track and we feel that one or two new faces may help push us to the next level. We have a talented team here but we have had a really tough run of results and our confidence maybe is a bit low but we have to believe in ourselves and learn to play with a little bit more courage.

8BXfQmg.png

Walsall (4-3-3): Roberts, Devlin, Guthrie, Fitzwater, Leahy (Scarr, 86), Dobson, Edwards (Rivas, 86), Kinsella, Ismail, Cook, Ferrier (Jarvis, 61)
    Newcastle United (4-4-1-1): Dunravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Fernandez, Firpo, Ritchie (Fraser, 86), Shelvey, Cook (Valverde, 59), Kenedy, Almiron, Perez (Muto, 75)

Q: Rafa after such a nervy first half what did you say to your team at half time to get that performance from them?
    Benitez: I just told them to enjoy themselves and play with courage. I think we have been very nervy at times and I feel that is causing us problems but the second half was the best we have played and hopefully it gives us a lift that we have been needing for awhile. We have a nice gap before our next game now so we are hoping to secure one or two deals before our next match.

gLOii6p.png

Newcastle United are delighted to confirm the double signings of Spanish internationals Rodri and Suso from Atletico Madrid and AC Milan. Rodri has put pen to paper on a five year deal worth £70,000 per week after the club paid a club record £55,300,000 to meet his buyout clause whilst Suso has put pen to paper on a four year deal worth £74,000 after agreeing a £34,000,000 fee for the talented winger. Suso who was persuaded to join Liverpool by Benitez never got the opportunity to play for his fellow countryman at Anfield but is excited by the prospect of working with the fifty eight year old.

Suso said “I am delighted to be signing for Newcastle United, this is a team that is going places. I spoke with Rafa about his plans for the club and I’m really excited for my future here, to see the club signing world class players like Rodri shows the ambition it has and for the manager to put faith in me to come in and join the club is an honour. I was really looking forward to working with Rafa at Liverpool but it wasn’t to be now I have the opportunity to show him he was right to show faith in me twice.”

Rodri had this to say on the move “I am so happy to finally have the opportunity to play in the Premier League. I had lots of offers from teams both in England and abroad but when I spoke to Rafael Benitez I felt this was the best move for me. A lot of the teams wanted to wait until the summer but Newcastle showed real intention to get me to join the club as soon as possible and it made me feel really wanted I can’t wait to get started and play in front of these fantastic fans I have heard so much about.

In more news striker Ayoze Perez has signed for Tottenham Hotspur in a deal worth £23,000,000.The striker has only scored one goal this season after losing his place to Daniel Sturridge and made it clear he wanted to leave the club after sitting down with Rafael Benitez. Dwight Gayle has becalled from his loan at West Brom with Rondon returning to his parent club and Dwight Gayle has now left the club on a permanent deal signing for Werder Bremen for £7,00,000

6oCvPGV.png

Newcastle United (4-3-3): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Rodri, Almiron (Shelvey, 77), Cook (Valverde, 70), Suso, Sturridge (Muto, 83), Fraser
    Sheffield United (5-2-1-2): Henderson, Baldock, Cranie, Egan, Stearman (Freeman, 77), Stevens, Norwood, Mandragora (Fleck, 70), Dowell (Cohade, 64), McGoldrick, Sharp

55 Minutes GOAL Suso

Q: Rafa after a fortnight without a game and two new players what did you make of that victory for your team?
    Benitez: I thought the break was perfect for us especially the fact we went into it on the back of a great win. We had the opportunity to bring in two top quality players who both played fantastic today Suso scored a fantastic goal, Rodri controlled the midfield and helped to protect the defence. I feel both will improve the more they get used to playing with the squad and obviously playing in a new league, I know Suso played here with Liverpool but I don’t feel fourteen games is enough to familiarise yourself with the league.

eU1tNgj.png

Chelsea (4-3-3): Kepa, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Rudiger, Emerson, Kanta, Kovacic (Luis Alberto, 61), Jorginho, Willian (Pedro, 73), Higuain (Giroud, 82), Hazard
    Newcastle United (4-3-3): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Cook (Ki Sung Yueng, 82), Almiron (Valverde, 61), Shelvey, Suso (Dummett, 73), Muto, Ritchie

Q: Rafa a disappointing loss do you think that you missed Sturridge, Fraser and Rodri today?
    Benitez: Erm maybe, I don’t want to say this beause I thought we played very well against a tough team and we were unlucky o lose the match in the final five minutes. Chelsea are a top team so we knew it would be a tough team because their a team fighting to finish in the top four but I think we showed we aren’t far off them especially without three key players and we will try and bounce back against a very in form Everton on Saturday in the FA Cup.

T9egWIy.png

Everton (4-2-3-1): Pickford, Coleman, Mina, Keane, Grimaldo (Digne, 77), Gueye, Gomes (Schneiderlin, 69), Walcott, Sigurdsson, Bernard (Kamano, 81), Richarlison
    Newcastle United (4-3-3): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Rodri, Almiron (Valverde, 69), Cook (Shelvey, 78), Suso, Sturridge (Muto, 81), Fraser

Q: Rafa 2-1 down with ten minutes to go. How proud are you of your team to turn it around and pick up the win?
    Benitez: I am very proud of these players, they deserved to win the game because we dominated the full match and they scored first because the keeper made a mistake and then the second we switched off and they pounced. I think you can see the impact Suso and Rodri have made Suso scoring twice today, but he does more then score he creates chances, he keeps the ball and he is going to be very important moving forwards. Rodri is every thing you want from your defensive midfielder he reads the game, he is a good tackler but more important for us he is great on the ball.

yBQiTrZ.png

Newcastle United (4-3-3): Dubravka, Yedlin, Kjaer, Lascelles, Firpo, Rodri, Almiron, Cook (Valverde, 58), Suso, Sturridge (Muto, 84), Fraser
    Man City (4-3-3): Ederson, Walker, Manolas, Laporte, Delph, Fernandinho, B.Silva (D.Silva, 72), De Bruyne, Sterling (Mahrez, 76), Jesus, Sane (Aguero, 84)

Q: Rafa a disappointing loss against a very inform Manchester City. Are there positives to take out of that performance?
    Benitez: Yes I think there are some positives to take from this performance, I thought we kept the ball very well and caused City just as many problems as they caused us. I think when you look at our team you can see the potential we have now it is time to put a run of results together and try nd push up the table. Our aim is and always has been a top seven finish and we still feel we can achieve this goal we just need to find some form.

m0ydzgv.png
  • ElMarcos
    Some good additions for your team and some good results.
  • LAboog4
    578 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Suso and Rodri are good additions and will need to hit the ground running if Newcastle want a Europe finish.

Suso scoring in 4 straight is a good sign. Hopefully the FA cup run continues and Rafa can bring a trophy to the north.
  • Ashy
    9481 posts League Winner
    You went from a brilliant unbeaten run with Sturridge on fire to a period of struggle where you couldn't find a win, what a weird situation, the January window came in at the right time I think and Rodri will add a lot of stability in that midfield to help the defence, Suso looks like he's hit the ground running too!