Pitch Notes - Gameplay Beyond FIFA 19

Comments

• annoyer13
    8 posts Ball Boy
    Nice post, I hope you will continue responding to community feedback as you are now. My main thing I would like to mention is the Pro Clubs mode, which has an enormous potential and I hope it will be improved by adding for instance training mode to play with teammates, bring back 22 player drop ins, ability to make subs during the game, improvements to the progression system and maybe some integration with FUT or some other way to monetize it a little bit, so the Pro Clubs mode stays in focus.
  • Pablofsi08
    407 posts Sunday League Hero
    Sechwa wrote: »
    Pablofsi08 wrote: »
    Sechwa said something I would like to contradict:

"When attempting to protect against a passing-based attack, controlling a single player is only half the battle. Yes, you can press the ball, attempt to intercept or even anticipate runs. But you cannot do all those things at once. If our attention is now to be directed more towards manually defending the ball-carrier we must rely on our AI to track runs (whether AI or human triggered)."

Yes, but that is how the game is right now, you have to keep track of the person that is going to receive the ball, and when the rival sees that you are anticipating his fast run he switches to try and dribble your AI defender, so you switch back to him, and start manual defending with him. You have to fast cycle to one and the other quickly, and timing for switching, being to able to switch quickly is very important. Once the opponent has wasted his run forward on the second player you only have to stop the dribble from the player with the ball and then their play will be over.

So what I see is important here is the player switching speed.

That is a fair point and would contribute to countering it. But for me it is not a complete solution.

In your scenario the attacker is controlling only one player and does not need to rely on the AI. Even if an AI attacking run is triggered that is minimal dependence on the AI and is actioned by the human without having to switch focus. Whereas the defender must control two players, intermittently, to successfully contain the attack. Whichever avenue the defender chooses to prioritize they are relying on the AI to adequately perform the other. In reality you depend on your teammates to hold a solid line whilst you engage the ball carrier. Of course their ability to do this relies on their competence, but this is where better cards come in. Generally speaking I need to be able to rely on the AI to do the minimum, which for me might be tracking a run but NOT tackling, so that I can do the rest. The AI should never be relied on to defend on their own, agreed, but they need to be able to support me. In my example I would consider this adequately tracking a run or blocking a path to goal but leaving the actual engagement/ball-winning to me.

No, because as I told you, and even currently in Fifa 19, that scenario is played this way:

1. Rival player 1 is with the ball, asks AI rival player 2 to run forward, he already made his move.
    2. Defender predicts that and starts running a bit before rival asks AI rival to run forward, and runs back to contain the passing line
    3. Meanwhile the rival player with the ball is temporarily and more or less effectively contained, and is waiting. Constrained by time, he only has 1 immediate option right now, which is to send the pass to the AI controlled rival whos running forward.
    4. Once that running forward rival is blocked by your manually controlled defender, the instance of danger is over and you can switch back (making sure your defender blocking the line is correctly placed).

IF the rival with the ball sees you changing to your defender blocking the passing line, and tries to dribble you, you -quickly- change back to the container defender.

This loop can repeat itself with the other player predicting or you predicting the next action but, as you can see, the limiting factor to effectively cover this play is to be able to switch between defenders quickly. So to sum up, you are not depending always on one AI controlled teammate, it's a time-based instance defense.

As I said the only thing needed is to be able to switch to the next defender with no delay between each change. So as a result, this scenario is not affected by the nerfed computer intelligence for the teammate that is temporarily being controlled by the AI.

What should be aimed with the automatic defense nerf is not that it covers this scenario, YOU SHOULD BE MANUALLY AND CONSCIOUSLY SWITCHING BACK AND FORTH QUICKLY BETWEEN DEFENDERS. What it should aim for is to decrease the effectiveness of CDMs on the third quarter of the pitch, where the 4-2-3-1 formation is prevalent with them over other formations, making it simply, through a tactic, a very, very difficult and broken way of defending.
  • Pablofsi08
    "Secondly I really want to see something to be done with interceptions. Nothing gets me more triggered than seeing the ball go past my controlled player within a range of a single step."

Interceptions should be just a little, JUST ONE LITTLE foot, not a step, careful with that, extended, if you extend them a full step you are effectively asking to make tiki-taka and passing, which is the basis of football, plays impractical, and thus, we go back to the sweat fest that was Fifa 18 and before.

To the developers: be VERY careful when you touch the passes game. Be very skeptical about people asking to make interceptions way more effective because that is usually because they can't actually understand and anticipate the need to move towards their players towards the correct pass line and are just waiting for the AI and high rating box to boxes to intercept most passes for them, which is a scrubby desire. They may want you to do that so that they can leave that to the AI when it's something they HAVE to know how to anticipate in order to compete as a complete player.
  • Pablofsi08
    Amazing update, hopefully EA actually stick to their guns here and implement things properly. Fully agree with everything they posted, can't believe people are complaining about the skills, go play fifa street. How many times have you seen a "chained skill" in a real match?

Additional points

1) remove timed finishing, no point having it
    2) for pro clubs especially do something about stock defenders competing Vs 6"5 99 rated pros in the air, every match is just a spam cross and header fest
    3) stamina! Again for pro clubs, high pressure from 99 rated pros running up and down the pitch all game long

A lot of times I've seen and I do chained skills. Mobility as well as vision aside from running speed should be favored, not prevented. I agree that the Croqueta should be individually nerfed to have a higher chance of failing instead of making executing one skill after the other more error prone. You are killing one side of depth of the game if you forbid it it in general.
  • case1r0
    390 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited May 30
    EA, can you please REMAKE your Gk movement/animation in penaltys?

In this comment I'll show a couple of examples.

Penalty saved by an Avenger superhero

cda300fdbb8619b4332eaf324606fd62.gif

As you can see, the Gk was in the middle of the goal before my player take the penalty.
    d621a5932fe59330ddbd485f42edee82.jpg

That save is IMPOSSIBLE if this game is trying to be a football game. No human can save this...no Gk can side jump like that.
    0199d611df0f585c8b5947922bb6211b.jpg

Another different example (same match lol)
    61ef62b66c378c73b9394eaa3e16eb7f.gif

Again, Gk in the middle
    f77702a4deff7f430fa7722afef733d0.jpg

And the save. Well...I could accept if the Gk saved with ONE hand...but again, no balance, Gk side jumped through the middle...and easy saved...a penalty that easily would be a goal in real life.
    baebb30756bba7516f4120839880aa5e.jpg

Please watch a few penalty shootouts and see where are the "limit" of Gk saves...high balls should never been saved without Gk moving to the right side before the player take the penalty. In this game, if the Gk guess the penalty side, whey will 99% save...when in reality we se a lot ( I mean, A LOT) of penaltys that Gk guessed the right side and failed to save them. I play FIFA since FIFA12 and this always was an issue... tired to have this superheroes as Gk when I'm taking a penalty. If you want make the shoot system different, harder, but you cannot make Gk superheroes. This is unfair for people that like football.

Another huge thing...
    You implemented the head movement as the side we gonna shoot. So, why can't I look to one side and take the penalty to the other side, without stop looking to the other side? Why I have a lot of penaltys that goes to the middle when I clearly last second changed the direction to the opposite side? Can you please review this? Yeah, the head movement is a good thing...BUT NOT when it shows clearly to my opponent where I'm aiming the ball.

What's your opinion? Its strange when almost no one talk about this.
  • Everything here sounds good. We’ll just have to wait and see but I like the intention
  • EA_Andy wrote: »
    rim6uwp5cr32.png

Hello everyone,

We have just released a new pitch notes articles talking about updates on FIFA gameplay transparency.

You can read the full article here.

Let us know any thoughts you have about this in this thread.
    intresting but can we trust what is said anymore there

• EthanZ
    2 posts Ball Boy
    I like what i'm hearing but i have 1 main concern.

Firstly the "chained skilling" part terrifies me. Those who try to use smart and tactical strings of skill moves to create space should not be punished. as long as those chained skill moves are not the same one over and over again. Only implement this if its for using the same skill move. if i do a roulette into a ronaldo chop into a ball roll i should be rewarded if i pull it off, not punished as if i spammed la croqueta 3 times.

On a side note, adding back practice mode would be nice. Not sure why that was removed in the first place but id like to be able to practice free kicks in the arena against an actual player wall and team on the field. Also practicing skill moves in the proper camera view in a practice game is way better than the skill games we have now just saying.

Other than that i really like what i read and i hope that you guys can pull it off!
  • TeamExtreme17
    2419 posts Fans' Favourite
    The only thing i didn't like was it seems that they try to cater for Casual, Core and Pro players, thats where the random mess comes from! You CAN NOT expect a realistic game catering for Casual players! (They already have Amateur setting and 2 button configurations) Nor trying to cater for 3 types of gamers via one game.. Pick one!!
  • JOhn21_Dundee
    10 posts Ball Boy
    edited May 31

- there was a note about reducing first time passing efficiency.....again its about a balance, being able to play tiki taka is important.

My answer

1. There is a need of multiple solution to specific gameplay but tiki taka have to be a skill not spamming a button without thinking and having all your pass in any condition reach your player
    2. Ai assist to much as it s made for casual player so they should have AI cursor from 0-100 and allow a casual mode to be at 100 and those who want play and improve giving the ability to reduce it gradually as the Ai take over to often making impossible to improve and we end up relying on the assistance
    3. In compétitive mode make sure that it’s reduced by 30% forcing player to learn to compete and not spamming a broken mechanic or OP element of the game (bring back the DKT)
    4. giving the competitive mode and player a skill gap by improving and learning not just learning how to press a button at the right time (same goes with time finishing or dribbling) It should be a combination of multiple action (timing, direction, power, player ability,....etc) that make it a perfect tiki taka or shot or pass

-crossing accuracy in genial is too good and the general crossing heading dynamic ought to have and more complicated mechanic that requires skill. timed shooting of all things should be the mechanic for heading but rather than increasing ur chance of scoring u should have to time it green to have any chance of scoring at all.

My answer:
    It’s easily abused and player that I face will make the same play over and over until they score as you can’t stop them all there is no creativity and when you have to play a game against one guy it’s fine but when out of 30 game it’s so many that abuse those mechanic and you are there trying to break they defense but can’t score a simple shot it’s frustrating

• JOhn21_Dundee
    10 posts Ball Boy
    edited May 31
    Sorry I answer directly into your comment I tough I was answering you
  • EthanZ wrote: »
    I like what i'm hearing but i have 1 main concern.

Firstly the "chained skilling" part terrifies me. Those who try to use smart and tactical strings of skill moves to create space should not be punished. as long as those chained skill moves are not the same one over and over again. Only implement this if its for using the same skill move. if i do a roulette into a ronaldo chop into a ball roll i should be rewarded if i pull it off, not punished as if i spammed la croqueta 3 times.

On a side note, adding back practice mode would be nice. Not sure why that was removed in the first place but id like to be able to practice free kicks in the arena against an actual player wall and team on the field. Also practicing skill moves in the proper camera view in a practice game is way better than the skill games we have now just saying.

Other than that i really like what i read and i hope that you guys can pull it off!

1. The arena should have as well multiple camera option
    2. And as u mentioned the capacity to add player to play with or against
    3. A slow process to learn skill move and combination to keep improving
  • angbama
    1 posts Ball Boy
    Please fix the delay and network problem first. My game play experience is very very bad. Whenever I play online matches and even squad battles, the passes are really weak so that my opponent's movement is faster than my pass. Also the players' response are very slow even their stamina are still high. The button delay also makes me crazy. I never know when the player will response to my button press. I believe I am not the only one facing this problem. Please fix it.
  • Pila4life
    311 posts Sunday League Hero
    All great ideas but you have to remove whatever the hell is going on with inconsistent gameplay. Whether it is in-game slider manipulation (your patented dynamic difficulty), poor servers or faulty lag compensation. 80 percent of all games I played have been determined by who has the gameplay/connection advantage.
  • SLOWION
    1 posts Ball Boy
    One thing that needs to be addressed is AI movement on the offensive side of the ball. Player movement into open space to receive a pass is very poor.

Pressing LB to tell a striker to Get in Behind will often result in the player running straight into single or double coverage rather than making the run into space.

When a run is not triggered, players often stand still behind (or next to) a defender instead of making an effort to move into open space.

There are also times when players such as a CAM will hit an "invisible wall" and refuse to move into open space, no matter how clear the path to goal.

There are also issues with players making "fake runs" where they will full on sprint and then suddenly stop without warning...assuming this is somehow related to the issue above.

These are just some examples but I hope you will look into further tuning of the offensive AI and having them make more realistic, football-like movements off the ball.
  • Renamed123456
    4583 posts Big Money Move
    Contain and Secondary Contain Effectiveness will be reduced, keeping the positioning of players/AI Teammates at a further distance and having a slower reaction to directional changes from the dribbler, rarely resulting in an auto-tackle or an auto-block. This will make manual defending not only more effective, but also more rewarding.

This sounds perfect. To those saying it should be removed altogether I disagree...

If I need to take control of a defender to manually track a run, then I need some kind of pressure on the ball possessor.
    Improved Jockey System will be implemented with more agility and precision, rewarding players that decide to take control of their defenders.

Brilliant. I like to use jockey to try and Mark and defend a player, but constantly have to let go of it due to speed/movement issues.

Ideally I think EA should seek to create a good 1v1 mechanic where some fine tuned skilling and defending can take place.
  • Zana
    1 posts Ball Boy
    Moi je pense que le jeux fifa n'est pas mauvais mais sur le gameplay il y a beaucoup à notamment les mouvements du corps lorsqu'on fait une passe ou lorsqu'on la reçoit. La lenteur du contrôle de balle sous pression, la physique de balle moins réaliste. Il faut favoriser le jeu de construction en rendant la défense plus efficace et un milieu plus dense. Il y a des petits détails qui énerve lorsque tu regardes un match réel de football et qu'après tu joues à fifa. Merci de tenir compte
  • Renamed123456
    4583 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 31
    User Controlled 'Dinked' Passes will be a new option for ground and through passes. 'Dinked' passes are slightly elevated passes used to avoid a defender's leg. These types of passes will no longer be contextual and will only happen if executed manually through this new mechanic.

I actually suggested like this.

My only concern is this will become an "exploit" where you can make almost guaranteed passes everytime by using this.

Driven Pass-and-Go mechanic will be enabled as another passing option, resulting in a stronger pass-and-go and more mobility/positioning while attacking. As a result of this change, the “manual passing” mechanic that was available through this button-combo (L1/LB+R1/RB+Pass) will no longer be available in the future.

This is HORRIBLE news!!!

There *MUST* be an option for in-game manual pass... in vital situations I press to the right of defender and pass to lead to ball for my teammate, and the game tries playing the ball left through and round the back of defender making teammate run in weird circle and intercepted passes.

**There needs to be an option for in-game manual pass** playing on full-manual is simply not a viable option.

What is the need for "driven pass and go"??? Who's playing cross field 1-2s from LB to RM??
  • quangthai0918
    3 posts Ball Boy
    edited May 31
    Dear EA_Andy.

i'm Player proClub form Fifa 11 => Fifa 19
    I want big Upgarde for ProClubs

1. SkillGame & Customze SkillGame cho Pro Clubs => It will Revolution in ProClubs History. I'm Sure!
    2. Re-connet after disconnet from match
    3. 3 Bench substitute
    4. Clothes, hair tips, tattoos, shoes. Can buy more at the store with real money
    5. A shared dressing room, aka Lobby able to go back and forth easily and do action, cute teasing each other for fun. And buy decorations for this room => increase the bond between players and their Club => create a tradition for the Club
    6. Remove Time Finished
    7. Reduce/fix Stamina in ProClubs match, so high.
    8. Better Server ^^!

Thank You.

Note: EA can released ProClubs Advance Pack, like DLC Season Pass for 20$ :wink:

More: ignite Engine better than ForstBite for Fifa game :blush:
    Post edited by quangthai0918 on
  • 1 In Fut all players have acceleration and speed almost 99 thanks to chemestry styles. So you put values more than 100% with bonus so aren’t all players the same.

2 shield better the ball in easy sitations, when defender is on the back, or side on th wing, a shield that point the goal

3 make L1 button a button for aim and point the direct defender and l1 plus right stick a way to point a defender and choice the position of body ( lt plus rt don’t work good and sonethimes point goal instead that defender is useless) this way conbined with manual defending instead that ia, will give fun and less automatic movements and more dribblings without the need of skills
  • Hashonthebeat
    46 posts Last Pick at the Park
    edited May 31
    Well, thank you EA for this article. We now know for sure that you care about everyone - not just FUT players. We would like to see an improvement on Catalogue updates (especially for PC, since it hasn't been getting the same love as the other platforms). And if you are reading this, EA, REMEMBER - it's a football game! Meaning, the gameplay should always resemble real-life situations, NOT just an ONLINE game where people run around on a pitch and kick a football! ALSO, please pay attention to the animations. We have been seeing the same ones over and over. It would be AMAZING to REFRESH those animations (more specifically, referee animations, and player animations in dead-ball situations and "off-ball" moments when the play is stopped). All of that will make the game a lot more enjoyable to play. AND don't forget Starheads! I don't sign generic-face players in Career Mode because of their... well, faces. LOL. Thank you again for listening to us!
  • Ivy_Gate
    3 posts Ball Boy
    This is a fantastic summary and really encouraging to read that the feedback given by the community is being taken into consideration.

One thing I would add is that any future iterations of the game should address not just how the game mechanics affect gameplay and enjoyment, but how the game 'feels'.

Speaking to many similar casual players such as myself, there is a consistent theme that there is inconsistency in the feel of the game which goes beyond the mechanics and technical aspects mentioned in the pitch notes. I am not just referring to when the players feel sluggish or there is a suspicion of scripting or handicapping, I am referring to the feel of the players on the pitch, how the movements flow and how the build up offensive and track back defensive sequences provide the player with enough confidence that they are playing the same iteration of the game each time.

My own feelings as a casual player are that if the feel isn't right then you can tell, within the first 10 seconds of play. Many will say that this is down to server lag, speed up lag etc but I am not so sure it's all about this. Take the weekend league for example. I am an average player and get to between 14 and 17 wins every weekend. I would say that half of these games feel consistent and the other half feel like I am playing a different game. IN reality, if I am being honest, I am never sure which version of the game I am going to get until I kick off. This varies from game to game at all times of day.

It's not just about winning and losing; I have lost games which I have thoroughly enjoyed playing but know that my opponent is simply better or more skilled than I am. However I have won and lost games where the sequence of play feels either a) too sluggish b) passes/shooting/crossing/tricks are inconsistently delivered or unusual ball trajectories angles and power. This diminishes the enjoyment of the game.

Playing a game on either console or PC should be about a learning curve and developing your own expertise. Without preaching here the need to learn and increase our knowledge and expertise in any physical or mental exercise is so ingrained in our DNA that we strive for it, not just to compete against others but to compete against ourselves. When this is taken away, so our enjoyment of the game diminishes. 'It doesn't matter what I do' syndrome creeps in when we are never sure which version of the game we are going to get.

One other point whilst I am on my soap box is that I think a lot could be done in terms of consumer PR and marketing of the game. This happens to be my area of work, but that's not the reason I have mentioned it here. There are many ways in which you as a group could harness this and other communities to increase customer engagement and therefore customer loyalty. If you read twitter or search #fifa or #fifa19 #servers you will see a vitriolic string of negative consumer feedback. Why don't you harness this collective consumer power and turn the negative server experience in to a positive. I have no idea if you are working on the servers and will get a consistent and slick gameplay experience ready for Fifa20, but if you are working on this, surely now is the time to start to position this to increase customer engagement and get early buy in for the new game, not just for the sake of the game profile but for revenue generation purposes. An 'early adopter' programme which teases shiny new dedicated servers would have massive benefits for the credibility of Fifa 20.

If you read your reviews and comments on the Xbox store you will see that Fifa 19 is considered by some as somewhat of a laughing stock. I don't agree. But I do think that you have an opportunity to silence the naysayers for good, not just by creating a consistent gameplay experience in Fifa 20 (and servers which support this), but by telling more people about HOW you are going to do it.

I look forward to seeing future pitch notes.

JT

• Plzzz just remove goal keeper movement and timed finishing just show vote for it from the whole community u can’t just say some pros agreed cuz I’m sure as hell now one did stop being stubborn just do what we want best for the game ffs
  • d3b4s1s
    123 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Really happy to see the important concerns being addressed. However, one thing that has gone completely unaddressed is:

DEFENDING/PASSING/SHOOTING ACCURACY BEING REDUCED WHEN CONSTANT PRESSURE/TEAM PRESS IS TURNED ON by the opponent.

There is no denying it. It's pretty much 'in your face' and can be proven in one single game. It's most certainly NOT limited to opponent players making good runs and making it difficult for your to pass/dribble/shoot, which is what it should be.

1. Auto tackles and blocks
    2. Opponent players marking and intercepting good passes by coming forward last minute irrespective of their stats.
    3. Goalkeeper making unreal saves for clean and accurate 1v1 shots, again irrespective of their stats (sometimes, even when a striker is placed as goalkeeper)

And yes, the AI does the exact same thing in single player/squad battles.

Making all the aforementioned changes will not result in anything better, if this one thing is not changed. Because the game is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT with constant pressure/team press on. It's frustrating to play every single game where EVERYTHING DEPENDS ON LUCK

Opponent pressure is totally understandable but reducing my defending/passing/shooting accuracy is simply put UNETHICAL and shouldn't be encouraged in a video game.
  • KRANG00
    1739 posts Play-Off Hero
    So we’ve asked a millions time this year and at no point did anyone admit you can’t fix AI defending this Fifa!?

What a surprise we get the most information we’ve had all year when you have something new to sell? 🤬

It’s like oh by the way we’ve heard everything you’ve said but this game is **** so don’t worry we’ll fix it in the next Fifa.

Absolute shambles
  • EA_Andy
    3267 posts EA Community Manager
    Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I actually addressed some of the feedback in another post here.

Keep your thoughts coming.
  • Pila4life
    SLOWION wrote: »
    One thing that needs to be addressed is AI movement on the offensive side of the ball. Player movement into open space to receive a pass is very poor.

Pressing LB to tell a striker to Get in Behind will often result in the player running straight into single or double coverage rather than making the run into space.

When a run is not triggered, players often stand still behind (or next to) a defender instead of making an effort to move into open space.

There are also times when players such as a CAM will hit an "invisible wall" and refuse to move into open space, no matter how clear the path to goal.

There are also issues with players making "fake runs" where they will full on sprint and then suddenly stop without warning...assuming this is somehow related to the issue above.

These are just some examples but I hope you will look into further tuning of the offensive AI and having them make more realistic, football-like movements off the ball.

I second this.. offensive player runs are very unrealistic and need to be corrected. They never run into the open space... additionally the offensive players hardly ever runs after a loos ball with the same vigor as the defenders.
  • Pila4life
    Also why was kickoff goals not addressed? It’s one of the biggest complaints for the past couple of years and clearly is IN THE GAME.
  • Reeyas
    1 posts Ball Boy
    No mention about your servers @EAHelp clearly the community knows the your servers are a huge problem for most fifa players u responsive players miss passes ect.. This is due to poor connection to u ea servers. We want solutions not long patch notes and nothing has been done. I will never buy FIA 20 until I see changes on your servers, will not be taken for a fool next again with this games. Thank you
  • EA_Andy
    3267 posts EA Community Manager
    edited May 31
    Reeyas wrote: »
    No mention about your servers @EAHelp clearly the community knows the your servers are a huge problem for most fifa players u responsive players miss passes ect.. This is due to poor connection to u ea servers. We want solutions not long patch notes and nothing has been done. I will never buy FIA 20 until I see changes on your servers, will not be taken for a fool next again with this games. Thank you

We have already put out pitch notes articles about gameplay responsiveness.

This one was about Gameplay.