Is it too expensive to be good at fifa? Bleacher report article

13
MHoney1234
7680 posts League Winner
edited May 20
Snap shot.

Someone has spent 45,000 dollars on this game :D

It takes roughly 69 hours of gameplay to buy an ultimate pack via matches alone (208 games)

Nicks comments on the casuals are spot on.

Fortnite players get 50k to turn up at tournaments whilst EA pay the best 5-8 players 250-750 - despite the ridiculous revenues.

Here’s a link for anyone who’s interested. I found it a good read.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836528-is-it-too-expensive-to-be-good-at-fifa

Fifa 19 re-review

Comments

  • Bakudu76
    729 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Well if they refuse to trade and want to go the easy route that's their decision. But after some point its more a gambling addiction, than wanting to have the best team.
    I was close to top 100 traders without spending a dime and also the companion app being locked for weeks. And also while beeing an bang average trader.
    I just can't get myself to spend any money with this packweight.
  • MHoney1234
    7680 posts League Winner
    Bakudu76 wrote: »
    Well if they refuse to trade and want to go the easy route that's their decision. But after some point its more a gambling addiction, than wanting to have the best team.
    I was close to top 100 traders without spending a dime and also the companion app being locked for weeks. And also while beeing an bang average trader.
    I just can't get myself to spend any money with this packweight.

    Agreed mate
  • Pocketsquareguy
    4847 posts Big Money Move
    First. I can’t help but laugh at this:

    "We believe that EA SPORTS FIFA is developed and implemented ethically and lawfully around the world and take these responsibilities very seriously. We care deeply that our players are having a fun and fair experience in all of our games and take great care to ensure each game is marketed responsibly. This year in FIFA 19 we began publishing pack probabilities for all FIFA Ultimate Team packs, which players can access before purchase. Additionally, all of FIFA Ultimate Team can be played fully without spending any money—purchases are entirely optional. A player's ability to succeed in FIFA Ultimate Team is not dependent on spending in the mode."

    Second. I really hope the person that has spent $280,000 on fut over the years is Castro or Bateson. That person also spend $80,000 on fut 18 and $30,000 this year.
  • JayyThunder
    4264 posts Big Money Move
    Absolutely. The fact that skill isn't a component in this game is ridiculous. I can be 10x's better than someone and just because they have a better team than me they actually have a chance. Fifa used to NEVER be like that. Fifa 11 and 12, it was about skill. Yes there were some rng and stuff. But if I can go into the gold cup with a BSG hybrid and win 3 of the 4 games due to just being a better player, it should be like that moving forward. NOW, there's just no way. It's impossible.
  • MHoney1234
    7680 posts League Winner
    First. I can’t help but laugh at this:

    "We believe that EA SPORTS FIFA is developed and implemented ethically and lawfully around the world and take these responsibilities very seriously. We care deeply that our players are having a fun and fair experience in all of our games and take great care to ensure each game is marketed responsibly. This year in FIFA 19 we began publishing pack probabilities for all FIFA Ultimate Team packs, which players can access before purchase. Additionally, all of FIFA Ultimate Team can be played fully without spending any money—purchases are entirely optional. A player's ability to succeed in FIFA Ultimate Team is not dependent on spending in the mode."

    Second. I really hope the person that has spent $280,000 on fut over the years is Castro or Bateson. That person also spend $80,000 on fut 18 and $30,000 this year.

    Last three lines of the EA quote made me laugh.
    Absolutely. The fact that skill isn't a component in this game is ridiculous. I can be 10x's better than someone and just because they have a better team than me they actually have a chance. Fifa used to NEVER be like that. Fifa 11 and 12, it was about skill. Yes there were some rng and stuff. But if I can go into the gold cup with a BSG hybrid and win 3 of the 4 games due to just being a better player, it should be like that moving forward. NOW, there's just no way. It's impossible.

    Good days man
  • Bakudu76 wrote: »
    Well if they refuse to trade and want to go the easy route that's their decision. But after some point its more a gambling addiction, than wanting to have the best team.
    I was close to top 100 traders without spending a dime and also the companion app being locked for weeks. And also while beeing an bang average trader.
    I just can't get myself to spend any money with this packweight.

    Why do "traders" take the moral high ground like they are better than people who buy points?

    News flash, if nobody bought points there would be nothing for you to trade. Might not even be FUT, at least as we know it.

    Yes you haven't spent any money, but you've spent huge amounts of time. Which some people just don't have. Some have more disposable money than they do time.
  • MHoney1234
    7680 posts League Winner
    Bakudu76 wrote: »
    Well if they refuse to trade and want to go the easy route that's their decision. But after some point its more a gambling addiction, than wanting to have the best team.
    I was close to top 100 traders without spending a dime and also the companion app being locked for weeks. And also while beeing an bang average trader.
    I just can't get myself to spend any money with this packweight.

    Why do "traders" take the moral high ground like they are better than people who buy points?

    News flash, if nobody bought points there would be nothing for you to trade. Might not even be FUT, at least as we know it.

    Yes you haven't spent any money, but you've spent huge amounts of time. Which some people just don't have. Some have more disposable money than they do time.

    And it’s you guys who spend loads of coin I feel sorry for, because the pack weight is disgusting. You deserve much better for your money.
  • Davola77
    386 posts Sunday League Hero
    Trading doesn’t even take up much time. Spend 10-20 minutes buying up players when rewards drop or during lightning rounds and then list for a profit you’re happy with. It really is that simple. People seem to think traders spend all there time on the companion app 24/7. I haven’t done any trading since February and have a full icon team. People that spend loads on fifa points are simply being ripped off.
  • starfox1284
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero
    MHoney1234 wrote: »
    Bakudu76 wrote: »
    Well if they refuse to trade and want to go the easy route that's their decision. But after some point its more a gambling addiction, than wanting to have the best team.
    I was close to top 100 traders without spending a dime and also the companion app being locked for weeks. And also while beeing an bang average trader.
    I just can't get myself to spend any money with this packweight.

    Why do "traders" take the moral high ground like they are better than people who buy points?

    News flash, if nobody bought points there would be nothing for you to trade. Might not even be FUT, at least as we know it.

    Yes you haven't spent any money, but you've spent huge amounts of time. Which some people just don't have. Some have more disposable money than they do time.

    And it’s you guys who spend loads of coin I feel sorry for, because the pack weight is disgusting. You deserve much better for your money.

    This is why I think buying players is coming, I totally agree with you that when I spend $100 I should be getting something for that in return other than 83 rare golds.
  • starfox1284
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero
    Davola77 wrote: »
    Trading doesn’t even take up much time. Spend 10-20 minutes buying up players when rewards drop or during lightning rounds and then list for a profit you’re happy with. It really is that simple. People seem to think traders spend all there time on the companion app 24/7. I haven’t done any trading since February and have a full icon team. People that spend loads on fifa points are simply being ripped off.

    People like Nick on runthefutmkt certainly are spending more time than 10-20 mins to get to that wealth. I just don't understand what the point of that is to be honest...like why have 45m coins, thats just nuts.
  • MHoney1234 wrote: »
    Bakudu76 wrote: »
    Well if they refuse to trade and want to go the easy route that's their decision. But after some point its more a gambling addiction, than wanting to have the best team.
    I was close to top 100 traders without spending a dime and also the companion app being locked for weeks. And also while beeing an bang average trader.
    I just can't get myself to spend any money with this packweight.

    Why do "traders" take the moral high ground like they are better than people who buy points?

    News flash, if nobody bought points there would be nothing for you to trade. Might not even be FUT, at least as we know it.

    Yes you haven't spent any money, but you've spent huge amounts of time. Which some people just don't have. Some have more disposable money than they do time.

    And it’s you guys who spend loads of coin I feel sorry for, because the pack weight is disgusting. You deserve much better for your money.

    I don't necessarily disagree. But if I want to participate in the game what else can I do? Rely on match coins and rewards?

    I get very little time to play FIFA these days and that time is spent playing matches.

    I'm aware of the pack weight and spend money I can afford to spend. Would seem like a lot of money to some people as that's subjecective. It's also not really anyones elses business, people seem so concerned about other people's money. It's weird
  • Kiido
    440 posts Sunday League Hero
    Spend a grand and you won't even get a squad to compete with. Sad really
  • ImAtrocious
    1787 posts Play-Off Hero
    I think the moral high ground aspect comes from the fact that those that do it by trading aren't providing EA an incentive to leave the game as it is and to continue ignoring all the flaws. As long as people are pumping money into the game, EA don't have a reason to make large and needed changes to the game itself.

    Yes, traders buy the game and play it just as much, so they're still part of the problem, but they're not as bad (in their eyes) as those that spend lots of money on packs that more than likely crap anyway.

    @Greezyweezy101 By the way, not saying I completely endorse this line of thinking, but just building the argument to show you where the attitude comes from.
  • MHoney1234
    7680 posts League Winner
    MHoney1234 wrote: »
    Bakudu76 wrote: »
    Well if they refuse to trade and want to go the easy route that's their decision. But after some point its more a gambling addiction, than wanting to have the best team.
    I was close to top 100 traders without spending a dime and also the companion app being locked for weeks. And also while beeing an bang average trader.
    I just can't get myself to spend any money with this packweight.

    Why do "traders" take the moral high ground like they are better than people who buy points?

    News flash, if nobody bought points there would be nothing for you to trade. Might not even be FUT, at least as we know it.

    Yes you haven't spent any money, but you've spent huge amounts of time. Which some people just don't have. Some have more disposable money than they do time.

    And it’s you guys who spend loads of coin I feel sorry for, because the pack weight is disgusting. You deserve much better for your money.

    I don't necessarily disagree. But if I want to participate in the game what else can I do? Rely on match coins and rewards?

    I get very little time to play FIFA these days and that time is spent playing matches.

    I'm aware of the pack weight and spend money I can afford to spend. Would seem like a lot of money to some people as that's subjecective. It's also not really anyones elses business, people seem so concerned about other people's money. It's weird

    I’m not bashing anyone who spends on the game, it’s your money, but I don’t see the logic when you look at the return. Each to their own though.
  • truegunn3r
    8604 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 20
    69 hours and 208 games for an ultimate pack? I thought you get it or it’s equivalent for free with weekly rewards.
  • MHoney1234
    7680 posts League Winner
    truegunn3r wrote: »
    69 hours and 208 games for an ultimate pack? I thought you get it or it’s equivalent for free with weekly rewards.

    Based on coins per game dude. You also only get an ultimate pack from div 1 for rank 2 and above, which still takes time and effort.
  • MHoney1234
    7680 posts League Winner
    CharlieC wrote: »
    I don’t spend money because you could have a 20m team like @NornIron and your players are all of a sudden [email protected]

    This game is a fantastic concept which is executed with amazing incompetence.

    Yep, pretty much spot on
  • DIXON THFC
    2472 posts Fans' Favourite
    Bakudu76 wrote: »
    Well if they refuse to trade and want to go the easy route that's their decision. But after some point its more a gambling addiction, than wanting to have the best team.
    I was close to top 100 traders without spending a dime and also the companion app being locked for weeks. And also while beeing an bang average trader.
    I just can't get myself to spend any money with this packweight.

    Why do "traders" take the moral high ground like they are better than people who buy points?

    News flash, if nobody bought points there would be nothing for you to trade. Might not even be FUT, at least as we know it.

    Yes you haven't spent any money, but you've spent huge amounts of time. Which some people just don't have. Some have more disposable money than they do time.

    Gotta admit @Greezyweezy101 I tend to agree with what you say, I dont get the obsession with other peoples money either and I'm very working class lol. I spend £250-300 most years within the first month and then live in hope for good packs for the rest of it.

    I know people that spend that on a heavy weekend (if you catch my drift) and nobody questions that insanity. When you rationalise the entertainment cycle of this product and the amount spent it's good value at times... it literally keeps me entertained all year... for good or bad.
  • truegunn3r
    8604 posts Has That Special Something
    edited May 20
    MHoney1234 wrote: »
    truegunn3r wrote: »
    69 hours and 208 games for an ultimate pack? I thought you get it or it’s equivalent for free with weekly rewards.

    Based on coins per game dude. You also only get an ultimate pack from div 1 for rank 2 and above, which still takes time and effort.
    I did say equivalent. You get ~280k worth of packs from Div 5 rank 1 which is more than what an ultimate pack is worth. Rewards earned by getting to rank 1 is no different to coins per game because you have to play the games to get to those ranks.
  • iRusty_yo
    3921 posts National Call-Up
    Davola77 wrote: »
    Trading doesn’t even take up much time. Spend 10-20 minutes buying up players when rewards drop or during lightning rounds and then list for a profit you’re happy with. It really is that simple. People seem to think traders spend all there time on the companion app 24/7. I haven’t done any trading since February and have a full icon team. People that spend loads on fifa points are simply being ripped off.

    Exactly. Top 100 traders spend 24/7 trading. More casual approach is literally the above method. Each week the market goes down during rewards and picks back up. Easy coin with no real effort
  • MHoney1234
    7680 posts League Winner
    edited May 20
    truegunn3r wrote: »
    MHoney1234 wrote: »
    truegunn3r wrote: »
    69 hours and 208 games for an ultimate pack? I thought you get it or it’s equivalent for free with weekly rewards.

    Based on coins per game dude. You also only get an ultimate pack from div 1 for rank 2 and above, which still takes time and effort.
    I did say equivalent. You get ~280k worth of packs from Div 5 rank 1 which is more than what an ultimate pack is worth. Rewards earned by getting to rank 1 is no different to coins per game because you have to play the games to get to those ranks.

    I quoted a snapshot from the article, you can interpret any way you want. But if you only played singjes it would take the amount mentioned.
  • KING_HENKE
    264 posts Sunday League Hero
    Bakudu76 wrote: »
    Well if they refuse to trade and want to go the easy route that's their decision. But after some point its more a gambling addiction, than wanting to have the best team.
    I was close to top 100 traders without spending a dime and also the companion app being locked for weeks. And also while beeing an bang average trader.
    I just can't get myself to spend any money with this packweight.

    “Im an average trader”, but you were also close to the top one hundred traders on the planet? That’s not close to being average ffs hahahaha.
  • QceCapo
    5601 posts Big Money Move
    MHoney1234 wrote: »
    Bakudu76 wrote: »
    Well if they refuse to trade and want to go the easy route that's their decision. But after some point its more a gambling addiction, than wanting to have the best team.
    I was close to top 100 traders without spending a dime and also the companion app being locked for weeks. And also while beeing an bang average trader.
    I just can't get myself to spend any money with this packweight.

    Why do "traders" take the moral high ground like they are better than people who buy points?

    News flash, if nobody bought points there would be nothing for you to trade. Might not even be FUT, at least as we know it.

    Yes you haven't spent any money, but you've spent huge amounts of time. Which some people just don't have. Some have more disposable money than they do time.

    And it’s you guys who spend loads of coin I feel sorry for, because the pack weight is disgusting. You deserve much better for your money.

    This is why I think buying players is coming, I totally agree with you that when I spend $100 I should be getting something for that in return other than 83 rare golds.

    As soon as that happens the game is over .
  • BondJame5Collins
    369 posts Sunday League Hero
    Said it before, there is a simple solution, reduce the price of FIfa Points. Those who want to spend, can but without the huge prices, those who don't don't. 12,000 FP shouldn't cost £80, it should be close to £20. EA know what they are doing though, why do you think there is such a gap in Points available, it jumps from 4,600 to 12,000, no inbetween.

    Also, just to be clear, spending money doesn't make you good, we've all been there, you have a great team, come up against an average all gold team and somehow get outplayed, the game balances it out. We spend to get the best players because this gamemode is all about playing with the best players, nostalgia and ego.
  • MHoney1234
    7680 posts League Winner
    Said it before, there is a simple solution, reduce the price of FIfa Points. Those who want to spend, can but without the huge prices, those who don't don't. 12,000 FP shouldn't cost £80, it should be close to £20. EA know what they are doing though, why do you think there is such a gap in Points available, it jumps from 4,600 to 12,000, no inbetween.

    Also, just to be clear, spending money doesn't make you good, we've all been there, you have a great team, come up against an average all gold team and somehow get outplayed, the game balances it out. We spend to get the best players because this gamemode is all about playing with the best players, nostalgia and ego.

    What does 12k of points get you on average. It used to be 200-250k back in the day. Based on what I saw on twitch yesterday I’d say it’s 120-150k at best. 150k for 80 quid. Wow!
  • truegunn3r
    8604 posts Has That Special Something
    Said it before, there is a simple solution, reduce the price of FIfa Points. Those who want to spend, can but without the huge prices, those who don't don't. 12,000 FP shouldn't cost £80, it should be close to £20. EA know what they are doing though, why do you think there is such a gap in Points available, it jumps from 4,600 to 12,000, no inbetween.

    Also, just to be clear, spending money doesn't make you good, we've all been there, you have a great team, come up against an average all gold team and somehow get outplayed, the game balances it out. We spend to get the best players because this gamemode is all about playing with the best players, nostalgia and ego.

    4600 + 1050 = 5650
    4600 + 1600 = 6200
    4600 + 2200 = 6800
    4600 + 4600 = 9200

    What are these then?
  • MHoney1234
    7680 posts League Winner
    truegunn3r wrote: »
    Said it before, there is a simple solution, reduce the price of FIfa Points. Those who want to spend, can but without the huge prices, those who don't don't. 12,000 FP shouldn't cost £80, it should be close to £20. EA know what they are doing though, why do you think there is such a gap in Points available, it jumps from 4,600 to 12,000, no inbetween.

    Also, just to be clear, spending money doesn't make you good, we've all been there, you have a great team, come up against an average all gold team and somehow get outplayed, the game balances it out. We spend to get the best players because this gamemode is all about playing with the best players, nostalgia and ego.

    4600 + 1050 = 5650
    4600 + 1600 = 6200
    4600 + 2200 = 6800
    4600 + 4600 = 9200

    What are these then?

    So you can buy 4600 + 1050 in a single transaction?
Sign In or Register to comment.