An in depth 433(5) guide - Now also an anti-meta thread

Comments

• EisenErmin
    5089 posts Big Money Move
    Baschti wrote: »
    Anyone use the (5) in div 1 or gold1/elite in WL?

Anybody has experience with (3)?

Div.1 for a long time now. In WL i usually finish Gold1, few Gold2 and came close to Elite a couple of times (22wins) The 433(5) is playabale even against all these skill abusers both in WL and rivals. Whitout the la croquetta spam (only this skill removed would solve lots of problems) in the game i am sure i would hit Elite 3 and maybe even Elite 2 more often than not
  • SomeNextGuy
    2361 posts Fans' Favourite
    So, Promes is on the transfer list...

The question is, Base Best or TOTS Gnabry?
  • EisenErmin
    madwullie wrote: »
    Just saw your question @EisenErmin

I guess because the 4231 (1) is the meta and I try to avoid that where possible. Also, back when 4231 with the wingers was the only 4231 you could use, I played it quite a lot, but I hadn't tried it out this year so I'm coming at it fresh. Also because I have dedi itely improved this year I thought it might be good for a possession based game, and finally I've tried the one with the cams a couple of times this year and found it hard to score without being very predictable - in saying that, I might find it better now that I've got that bit better.

I suppose I've always seen it as a defensive formation (despite the fact it is pretty flexible and can be set up in loads of ways) and I was looking for something I could attack opponents with when the (5) wasn't working.

I know the 4231(1) is the most overused formation by any muppet that can hold a gamepad and press L1+the stick, but the way you/me are looking to play is nothing like that usual drop back counter and skill abuse setup.

Played the 4231 for 7 games today: 4 wins, 2 draw, 1 defeat. Very solid result for using it for the first time. Lots of posession, lots of options and even with posession style: you rarely get the chance to counter, but when you do you hit them hard. Had some 4 vs.1 situations :smile:
    The only loss came against a la croquetta dude who was completely bad in all other things. I was so annoyed playing him, that i lost my focus.
  • Chalmo
    439 posts Sunday League Hero
    EisenErmin wrote: »
    Chalmo wrote: »
    Question for @madwullie

Why the 4231(2) and not the 4231 for a posession based setup?

In theory i see 4 important attacking advantages over the 4231wide:

1.) The 4231 (with 3x cam) should be better for posession based attack and get the winger (or the wide cam) more involved. They are closer together and their get in behind runs inside the box tend to be around the left or right edge of the box instead of down the sideline like in the 4231(2).

2.) The cam´s beein a bid more central than the LM+RM should open up space on the outside for the overlapping fullbacks joining the attack. As we use attacking fullbacks anyway, they should benefit from that.

3.) In general the wide cam´s get in a lot of shooting positions when used by the usual 4231 drop back clowns for first timers. That should be the cas in a posession setup aswell.

4.) When set to "free roam" the cam´s should switch positions all the time in the attack and as long as they all are great finisher this surely can create havoc in any defense.

In general i dont like the 4231 at all, but this posession style we are looking for is completely different to the drop back and counter approach that is used in 90% of WL games against us.

Thoughts?

Anyone other than @madwullie feel free to answer too. :smile:

This description looks a lot like the way I play the game.

So what tactics and instructions do you use?

I just set up a team with almost everything on 5 bars, press after posession loss and posession buildup. The 2 wide cam on "free roam and get into box" Going to try it now

I'll post it again when I go home but must be something like:

Pressure on heavy touch
    5 width
    7 depth (yeah, I want the team to be very high up the pitch)
    Possession
    5 width
    3 players in the box (I feel like this one is for the cross and I don't cross)

Instructions:
    CDM: stay back (both of them, need that for safety in case of counter attack)
    CAM (central): stay forward

But to be honest, even tho the tactics and instructions have an impact on the game, it is the way you play that makes your playstyle. I mean, if I want to play fast, I pass the ball fast and keep running up the pitch.
    If I want to play possession, I go slowly, I play smart, etc ...
    Well, I'm not teaching you anything when I say this ahah but sometimes it's good to remember the basics.
    We're all here to help each other optimize our gameplay in order to enjoy this f****** game after all :)

Thanks for sharing. I have one of the CDM (Gullit) on join the attack so far as i need more attacking support in the middle. No instructions on the central CAM (TOTY Modric) who is more of a "true cam" and playmaker than a converted striker. Only played two games with it since i posted it 20 minutes ago: two rage quit wins before halftime, both at 3-0 in my favour :smile:
    Even though i have both fullbak on join attack and overlap they are not that high up the pitch as i would like them to be. I really dont get it whay 99% have stay back on fullbacks. It is way more fun with attacking fullbacks and way more suited for outplaying and dominating the oposition than just the fast back and forth from defense to attack like you see every game in WL.

Edit: 5 games so far, still unbeaten in Div.1 (3 wins / 2 draws)
    Trying TOTY Ramos as defensive minded CDM and he is insane. He clears up everything. His workrates are not the best, but he is way more agile than any of the best CDM and his passing is top quality too.

Hey again @EisenErmin
    I just saw your edit.
    So you did try the tactics I told you or others? and instructions?

And how did you find it overall? the feeling etc.

Have a nice evening by the way ahah
  • EisenErmin
    Question for @madwullie

1.) The 4231 (with 3x cam) should be better for posession based attack and get the winger (or the wide cam) more involved. They are closer together and their get in behind runs inside the box tend to be around the left or right edge of the box instead of down the sideline like in the 4231(2).

2.) The cam´s beein a bid more central than the LM+RM should open up space on the outside for the overlapping fullbacks joining the attack. As we use attacking fullbacks anyway, they should benefit from that.

3.) In general the wide cam´s get in a lot of shooting positions when used by the usual 4231 drop back clowns for first timers. That should be the cas in a posession setup aswell.

4.) When set to "free roam" the cam´s should switch positions all the time in the attack and as long as they all are great finisher this surely can create havoc in any defense.

In general i dont like the 4231 at all, but this posession style we are looking for is completely different to the drop back and counter approach that is used in 90% of WL games against us.

Thoughts?

I just set up a team with almost everything on 5 bars, press after posession loss and posession buildup. The 2 wide cam on "free roam and get into box" Going to try it now

Pressure on heavy touch
    5 width
    Possession
    5 width

Instructions:

But to be honest, even tho the tactics and instructions have an impact on the game, it is the way you play that makes your playstyle. I mean, if I want to play fast, I pass the ball fast and keep running up the pitch.
    Well, I'm not teaching you anything when I say this ahah but sometimes it's good to remember the basics.
    We're all here to help each other optimize our gameplay in order to enjoy this f****** game after all :)

Thanks for sharing. I have one of the CDM (Gullit) on join the attack so far as i need more attacking support in the middle. No instructions on the central CAM (TOTY Modric) who is more of a "true cam" and playmaker than a converted striker. Only played two games with it since i posted it 20 minutes ago: two rage quit wins before halftime, both at 3-0 in my favour :smile:
    Even though i have both fullbak on join attack and overlap they are not that high up the pitch as i would like them to be. I really dont get it whay 99% have stay back on fullbacks. It is way more fun with attacking fullbacks and way more suited for outplaying and dominating the oposition than just the fast back and forth from defense to attack like you see every game in WL.

Trying TOTY Ramos as defensive minded CDM and he is insane. He clears up everything. His workrates are not the best, but he is way more agile than any of the best CDM and his passing is top quality too.

Hey again @EisenErmin
    I just saw your edit.
    So you did try the tactics I told you or others? and instructions?

And how did you find it overall? the feeling etc.

Have a nice evening by the way ahah

I have not tried yours so far as i was quite satisfied with my first set of tactics (just did what i thought would work and it did :smile: ).
    Overall it was very nice to play, still getting used to it, but miles better than the 4231(2) which was a nightmare for me.
    I need to work on my finishing as i tend to walk the ball into the net sometimes.
  • Gnomenclature
    2184 posts Fans' Favourite
    Just tried 4231 with mad's instructions. 3 games in DR - scored 13 goals, all wins. Oh my, this might be my new possession formation. I've always stayed away from 4231 because I generally despise meta type play styles. But this is completely different.

It's incredible how much more involved my wingers are in the attack. I thought "come back on defense" would be too defensive, but it's not at all. They just cover for the fullbacks.

A couple things of note though, all three opponents were using 433(4) with constant pressure... haven't gone up against a narrow or defensive formation yet.

Also, tots aouar was born for the center cam roll. I had trouble getting him involved at cm, but he's excellent at ccam.
  • EisenErmin
    Just tried 4231 with mad's instructions. 3 games in DR - scored 13 goals, all wins. Oh my, this might be my new possession formation. I've always stayed away from 4231 because I generally despise meta type play styles. But this is completely different.

It's incredible how much more involved my wingers are in the attack. I thought "come back on defense" would be too defensive, but it's not at all. They just cover for the fullbacks.

A couple things of note though, all three opponents were using 433(4) with constant pressure... haven't gone up against a narrow or defensive formation yet.

Also, tots aouar was born for the center cam roll. I had trouble getting him involved at cm, but he's excellent at ccam.

The real test is if you can hold your own against the 4231narrow and the 41212(2). If so = great! If not = unplayable in WL.
  • Chalmo
    Good to know @EisenErmin
    If you don’t mind sharing your CTs/PIs with us, I would appreciate it :)
    Also, what team are you running?

I’m waiting Sunday before buying my « final » team. I have been trading during all TOTS period.
    I think I will go for this (untradables in bold):
    Prime Raul
    Lacazette TOTS - Aouar TOTS - Reus TOTS
    Pogba HL - Goretzka TOTS
    Salah BD - Van Dijk 88 - PIM Blanc - Kimmich TOTS
    De gea

Still hesitating between Pogba and Kante TOTY. But if I go for Kante, I dont have budget for Reus so I would go for Aguero TOTS.
    All the others are set :)
  • Chalmo

Heu @Gnomenclature
    Good to know because I’m gonna do aouar this week end and the CAM position is already booked for him :smile:
  • Delboy13710
    4449 posts National Call-Up
    Baschti wrote: »
    Anyone use the (5) in div 1 or gold1/elite in WL?

Anybody has experience with (3)?

Comfortably Gold 1 same with Div 1 using (5) , Unfortunately unless I get an Elite Tier Team i dont think i can go much further then gold 1 possibly e3 at a stretch this year . Game doesn't want to reward patient build up play as much as it deserves .
  • EisenErmin
    Good to know @EisenErmin

I’m waiting Sunday before buying my « final » team. I have been trading during all TOTS period.
    Prime Raul
    Pogba HL - Goretzka TOTS
    De gea

Still hesitating between Pogba and Kante TOTY. But if I go for Kante, I dont have budget for Reus so I would go for Aguero TOTS.

Only a few games so far, so it needs further testing, but so far i like it.

pressure on heavy touch
    5 width
    5 depth
    posession
    7 width
    5 players in box

ST: target man
    left + right cam = free roam + get into box
    def.CDM: stay back, cut passing lanes, cover center, aggressive interceptions
    att.CDM: get foreward, cover center, agressive interceptions
    LB+RB: join attack, overlap

My team by tomorrow (untr. in bold)
    Prime Ronaldo
    PIM Ronaldinho - TOTS Aguero - TOTY Ronaldo
    TOTY Modric - Prime Gullit
    TOTY Marcello - TOTY Ramos - TOTS van Dijk - TOTS Cancelo
    TOTY De Gea

Just need to finish the Prime Ronaldo SBC. Maybe i play Prime Blanc CB, Ramos CDM and Modric central cam, Aguero benched then.
  • Delboy13710
    Thinking of going 3142 this weekend the midfield has the nice Triangle like the (5) . But also have wingers and 2 strikers . And use the (5) on low depth once I gain a lead , really is the perfect formation for counter attacking
  • EisenErmin
    Thinking of going 3142 this weekend the midfield has the nice Triangle like the (5) . But also have wingers and 2 strikers . And use the (5) on low depth once I gain a lead , really is the perfect formation for counter attacking

I have read somewhere that the 3142 is bugged in terms of players playing in wrong positions. Dont know if its true or just because someone was not able to set up a proper custom tactic, but just want to let you know.
  • Delboy13710

I have read somewhere that the 3142 is bugged in terms of players playing in wrong positions. Dont know if its true or just because someone was not able to set up a proper custom tactic, but just want to let you know.

Basically , the players are positioned differently in tactics when your in a game . The 2 CM are positioned out wide and the RM/LM are position centrally , but it's just visual glitch ( that they ain't bothered to fix ) but it dont effect there actual position in game.
    Used it for 6 games earlier won 5 and got whooped 5-2 in my loss 😂 . I'll give it a spin Tomorrow along with 343 . Going to use 433(5) to hold out games and counter attack this weekend
  • EisenErmin

Basically , the players are positioned differently in tactics when your in a game . The 2 CM are positioned out wide and the RM/LM are position centrally , but it's just visual glitch ( that they ain't bothered to fix ) but it dont effect there actual position in game.
    Used it for 6 games earlier won 5 and got whooped 5-2 in my loss 😂 . I'll give it a spin Tomorrow along with 343 . Going to use 433(5) to hold out games and counter attack this weekend

If you have a good set of tactics and instructions please share them.

I have to try the 3142 now. just anything on 5 bars for now. Playing one game before going to bed with it. My LM + RM + both strikers are high/low workrates. Only 1 CM has high/high, the others high/med. Thats going to be a high score game either way....
  • FreddieKane
    461 posts Sunday League Hero
    Re: some people not enjoying the 4231(2) as much, I agree it's likely to do with the differing playstyles most people have in here. I'm currently enjoying it more than the (5) (after using that for ages now) as I get a lot of satisfaction from the overlapping fullbacks, which I had struggled to consistently make work in the (5).

I'd disagree that it is necessarily a slower build up, however. I've found I've had more genuine counter attack situations than usual while using it. Playing from CDM/CAM to your L/RM who's dropped short draws the opponent's fullback infield, which often allows your fullback to run into the space behind.

• Gnomenclature
    Re: some people not enjoying the 4231(2) as much, I agree it's likely to do with the differing playstyles most people have in here. I'm currently enjoying it more than the (5) (after using that for ages now) as I get a lot of satisfaction from the overlapping fullbacks, which I had struggled to consistently make work in the (5).

I'd disagree that it is necessarily a slower build up, however. I've found I've had more genuine counter attack situations than usual while using it. Playing from CDM/CAM to your L/RM who's dropped short draws the opponent's fullback infield, which often allows your fullback to run into the space behind.

I think what's making it work better is that your wingers are getting involved in the goal scoring opportunities more - the 5 was great, but relied on the two cm too much for scoring goals. That central cam makes me feel like I have better passing options too.
  • FreddieKane

I think what's making it work better is that your wingers are getting involved in the goal scoring opportunities more - the 5 was great, but relied on the two cm too much for scoring goals. That central cam makes me feel like I have better passing options too.

Yeah that's a fair point. I especially found the (5) to struggle against good defensive players as the CMs were essentially running into a crowd everytime they broke forward, ended up relying on my CF to dribble around and shoot far too often.
  • Gnomenclature

Yeah that's a fair point. I especially found the (5) to struggle against good defensive players as the CMs were essentially running into a crowd everytime they broke forward, ended up relying on my CF to dribble around and shoot far too often.

Yes. I was having the same issue against players that defend well. Constantly struggling to keep possession and finding it very hard to create chances - especially against squads with two cdms on stay back. Gonna keep tinkering with the 4231.
  • Chalmo
    Good to know @EisenErmin

Prime Raul
    Pogba HL - Goretzka TOTS
    De gea

Only a few games so far, so it needs further testing, but so far i like it.

pressure on heavy touch
    5 width
    5 depth
    posession
    7 width
    5 players in box

ST: target man
    left + right cam = free roam + get into box
    def.CDM: stay back, cut passing lanes, cover center, aggressive interceptions
    att.CDM: get foreward, cover center, agressive interceptions
    LB+RB: join attack, overlap

My team by tomorrow (untr. in bold)
    Prime Ronaldo
    PIM Ronaldinho - TOTS Aguero - TOTY Ronaldo
    TOTY Modric - Prime Gullit
    TOTY Marcello - TOTY Ramos - TOTS van Dijk - TOTS Cancelo
    TOTY De Gea

Just need to finish the Prime Ronaldo SBC. Maybe i play Prime Blanc CB, Ramos CDM and Modric central cam, Aguero benched then.

Pretty stack team @EisenErmin , congrats !! From trading ?
  • Chalmo
    Question for @madwullie

Thoughts?

Pressure on heavy touch
    5 width
    Possession
    5 width

Instructions:

Oh and I wanted to comment what you said on this post about Modric being a true cam and not a converted striker.

I think there is two school for this position:
    - the offensive midfielder
    - The second forward
    (as I like to call them)
    It goes down to personnal preference and playstyle. Last year, De Bruyne was my man. I feel like true cam can help in defending too and are very good at passing and give the tempo of the game.
    Can’t wait to get Aouar to give him the keys of the truck !!

I played with Reus a lot during this year too. It was very nice. Still hoping to get him in the team but he will be on the right side this time.
  • madwullie
    3963 posts National Call-Up
    Just catching up on this guys after a busy day yesterday and passing out early past night.

Those of you that are trying the 4231-2, please let me know if you have any breakthroughs on instructions / tactics etc. I have time for a couple of games this morning but will probably use the (5) mostly to get my eye in for WL tomorrow. Hope we all still agree that it's the (5) forever 😂
  • Chalmo
    Just catching up on this guys after a busy day yesterday and passing out early past night.

Those of you that are trying the 4231-2, please let me know if you have any breakthroughs on instructions / tactics etc. I have time for a couple of games this morning but will probably use the (5) mostly to get my eye in for WL tomorrow. Hope we all still agree that it's the (5) forever 😂

Hey @madwullie what's up?

Ahahah total respect for the thread. Love of the football first. Not my plan to turning this into a 4231 thread ;)

Have fun mate.
    cheers
  • EisenErmin
    @Chalmo

Yes, got the team from trading like mad (at least untill April). I did spend 20euros on points at the start just to get the trading going, but packed maybe players worth 40K from that. I think i packed Douglas Costa and Miranda as halfway decent pulls.

Modric as cam has the benefit of beeing a great box to box midfeilder to help in defense, but when i get my hands on Prime Ronaldo, Modric will drop down to be CDM. Aouar TOTS is a bid worse than Modric TOTY on paper, but still agreat great card for 1/5 of the prize. I wont do his SBC unless i get Mbappe in my WL rewards which is more than unlikely.

@madwullie

The 433(5) remains the best and most fun formation, but depending on how my 4231(2) experiment goes, i might use it for the WL games and switch between the two formations depending on the opponent and the way the game developes.
  • Chalmo
    @Chalmo

Yes, got the team from trading like mad (at least untill April). I did spend 20euros on points at the start just to get the trading going, but packed maybe players worth 40K from that. I think i packed Douglas Costa and Miranda as halfway decent pulls.

Modric as cam has the benefit of beeing a great box to box midfeilder to help in defense, but when i get my hands on Prime Ronaldo, Modric will drop down to be CDM. Aouar TOTS is a bid worse than Modric TOTY on paper, but still agreat great card for 1/5 of the prize. I wont do his SBC unless i get Mbappe in my WL rewards which is more than unlikely.

@madwullie

The 433(5) remains the best and most fun formation, but depending on how my 4231(2) experiment goes, i might use it for the WL games and switch between the two formations depending on the opponent and the way the game developes.

As a Olympique Lyonnais fan, it's a no brainer for me :)
  • barryw
    911 posts Professional
    Hey! I need to upgrade my 88 Mbappe as RW.
    Budget is around 450K on ps4. Who do you recommend?
    Tots Thauvin, Tots Gnabry, FBd Son, 88 Best, 89 Salah or someone else? Thanks :)
  • madwullie
    3963 posts National Call-Up
    Pulled cavani in my reds. He'll go on the bench for the 4231-2
  • EisenErmin

Got Thauvin and Marquinos, both will find their destination in the Ronaldo SBC i a few hours
  • FreddieKane

Quick little goal using the 4231(2) in Div 1. Still using the same tactics as a few pages ago, need more time before I start tweaking it but for the most part I'm happy enough as is.
  • FreddieKane

Got Thauvin and Marquinos, both will find their destination in the Ronaldo SBC i a few hours

I'm using Marquinhos in one of my teams atm and he's pretty good so far but I guess you'll have no need with your team..