3765 posts National Call-Up
edited May 1
Which modern day icons would stand the test of time? Examples now of those are:

Socrates
Pele
Bobby Moore
Eusebio
Yashin

Modern ones such as Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Sol Campbell etc would not still be icons (in my opinion).

So, in 20 years time, what icons would still be icons? I think:
Ronaldo
CR7
Messi
Pele
Cruyff
Eusebio
Neymar (?)

which others?
Post edited by dregana08 on

Comments

• basdost_goat
    302 posts Sunday League Hero
    Lord Bendtner
  • hayhor1
    14219 posts Has That Special Something
    dregana08 wrote: »
    Which modern day icons would stand the test of time? Examples now of those are:

Socrates
    Pele
    Bobby Moore
    Eusebio

Modern ones such as Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Sol Campbell etc would not still be icons (in my opinion).

So, in 40 years time, what icons would still be icons? I think:
    Ronaldo
    CR7
    Messi
    Pele
    Cruyff
    Eusebio
    Neymar (?)

which others?

Neymar for being a flopping whiner that destroys teams? 🤣
  • El_Nino
    2902 posts Fans' Favourite
    Gerrard/Lampard/Scholes wouldn’t be but Neymar would? Right, nah not even bothering.
  • AngryFUTplayer
    857 posts Semi-Pro
    edited May 1
    If his career continues on the upward trend, maybe mbappe. Iker Casillas is worth a shout as a goalkeeper. Ramos maybe. 4 champions leagues, European championships, world cup winner, more red cards than any player in top five league history. Lmao
  • kcichris
    1615 posts Play-Off Hero
    Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, Ramos, Xavi imo
  • BPLosers
    157 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Zlatan
  • dregana08
    El_Nino wrote: »
    Gerrard/Lampard/Scholes wouldn’t be but Neymar would? Right, nah not even bothering.

Need to consider that Neymar is only at the start / middle of his career, he still has his prime to go, hence the (?) because i'm assuming he will get better / more experienced. He could move to Real Madrid and win the Ballon d'or.
  • dregana08
    kcichris wrote: »
    Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta, Ramos, Xavi imo

Ramos is a good shout.
  • dregana08
    If his career continues on the upward trend, maybe mbappe. Iker Casillas is worth a shout as a goalkeeper. Ramos maybe. 4 champions leagues, European championships, world cup winner, more red cards than any player in top five league history. Lmao

Mbappe for sure if he continues to progress at his current rate.
  • Bakudu76
    730 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Schweinsteiger Lahm
  • KRANG00
    1712 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited May 1
    Not sure, but willing to bet anything i own i still wouldn't have packed one
  • SimenHP
    1937 posts Fans' Favourite
    In 40 years time is 2059 not 2040 btw.

I'm sorry, but Lampard not an icon? he might be one of Chelsea biggest stars of all time.

I would also say Casillas will get an icon card. He is for me personally the greatest spanish and RM goalkeeper ever.
  • dregana08
    SimenHP wrote: »

I'm sorry, but Lampard not an icon? he might be one of Chelsea biggest stars of all time.

I would also say Casillas will get an icon card. He is for me personally the greatest spanish and RM goalkeeper ever.

Ah thank you, i've edited OP. I wondered why I was stuck in the year 2000 listening to Sum41 and Blink182...

Could be wrong, but I just don't think in 20-30 years time, Lampard will be considered a great of the game, like Pele, Ronaldo, CR7, Messi etc.
  • JURITO1000
    1661 posts Play-Off Hero

Casillas definetly should be an icon with at least 95 rating. Its like Maldini in Milano or Puyol in Barcelona
  • dregana08
    JURITO1000 wrote: »

Casillas definetly should be an icon with at least 95 rating. Its like Maldini in Milano or Puyol in Barcelona

Casillas has just been rushed to hospital after suffering a heart attack in training.

He must have seen this thread. Hope he's okay etc etc.
  • Darkwing1708
    963 posts Professional
    Neuer, Robben, Suarez
  • BlackFridayRule
    362 posts Sunday League Hero
    Casillas is like the best CL-goalkeeper of all time, so he should be an icon.

Mess and c.ronaldo obviously. After that it gets tricky. I doubt neymar will be remembered. He has skills, but is going the way of adriano and a few other brazilian players if forgotten.

Xavi and iniesta are my only other picks. They really stood out in their prime
  • SuperSonicSean
    5941 posts Big Money Move
    Give me Prime Moments Mbappe and I'm good.
  • Diggy
    13618 posts Has That Special Something
    I’d be 68
  • BombSquadPuppy
    1416 posts Professional
    Robben muller and neuer should be icons too 😉
  • futballistic
    243 posts Sunday League Hero
    Michu, Papiss Cisse,
  • Drachenfells
    277 posts Sunday League Hero
    GIORGIO CHIELLINI is a good shout pretty sure gk Buffon willl have one as well, Beckham will for sure.

fairly sure modric and Schweinsteiger

possibly cech, robben, benzema, riebery, terry

players like rashford, mabappe and neymar Its to early to say as we have all seen great footballers ruin there careers through injury or stupidity, I dont think luis suarez will get one because he will always be remembered for biting people, not talent.
  • Lord_Begley
    204 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    There’s still quite a few players who deserve an icon and don’t yet have one: Platini, Zidane, Beckenbauer (did have one), Romario, Puskas... then you have the most recent: Iniesta, Xavi etc. Agree that Ramos will end up with one. Surprised Drogba and Vidic don’t have cards based on the legends we currently have. They would be beasts on the game.
  • Hamzy_LFC
    2035 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited May 1
    You don’t have to wait 20 years for a messi Icon.

They’ll literally just release one a year or 2 after announcing his retirement.

Just like with Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, etc. They’re not even that old and most retired just under 5 years ago...
  • mdizzl3
    12326 posts Has That Special Something

Source?
  • Bobo23
    622 posts An Exciting Prospect
    GIORGIO CHIELLINI is a good shout pretty sure gk Buffon willl have one as well, Beckham will for sure.

players like rashford, mabappe and neymar Its to early to say as we have all seen great footballers ruin there careers through injury or stupidity, I dont think luis suarez will get one because he will always be remembered for biting people, not talent.
    Rashford will never ever be an Icon!

• Galayn
    518 posts An Exciting Prospect

don't take it bad mate, but how being one of the biggest stars of Chelsea would guarantee icon status to a player? with all due respect, Chelsea is not Real Madrid ...
  • Bobo23
    622 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Galayn wrote: »

don't take it bad mate, but how being one of the biggest stars of Chelsea would guarantee icon status to a player? with all due respect, Chelsea is not Real Madrid ...
    What Lampard achieved goalscoring wise from midfield will not be matched in a long long time. It doesn't matter who a player plays for, if they achieve huge feats in their career as Lampard did. They deserve the Icon status.

• Lord_Begley
    204 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Vinicius Junior has it in the bag 😂
  • johnlaker62
    1214 posts Professional

Benzema?