The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

A revolution to FUT.

lIlIlIlIlIl
3930 posts National Call-Up
This ended up being a rather lengthy recollection of thoughts on how to improve FUT by diminishing the p2w aspect, making low tier cards viable again and diverting from the ultra-competitive dogma.

Let's start with ICONS. As a representation of the very best players to grace the sport, we need a massive clean up. We can't be having Pele and Nakata in the same category, i'm sorry. Just no. Moreover, ICONS have proven to be a disaster with 85-90% of them ended up being overpriced SBC fodder.

Note: Some of those deprecated ICONS could potentially be introduced in the form of flashbacks (of their prime moment at their respective club at the time).

The solution to the ICON bloat: maximum of 20 icons per game cycle. Make them a very rare packs drop AND long-term objective grind.

How to realistically obtain these ICONS?

You should be able to start the grind on game release and complete it at a reasonable casual pace at around TOTY. More tenacious efforts should accelerate the process (perhaps based off an algorithm measuring a mixture of skill rating, games played and performance). Which means roughly 1 month long grind per icon at "tryhard" pace.

Moreover, attach weekly sbcs required as steps to long-term completion. Each icon should have unique objectives and requirements associated with the player. For instance, this could be part of a long-term completion of Ronaldinho 95:

"Embark on the journey of the legendary Ronaldo de Assis Moreira by following his footsteps to glory"... (insert your desired prosaic roleplay narrative).

The next step would be to enter/start this specific campaign/scenario/journey (or whatever you want to call it) by completing an initial SBC that is worth X coins.
You are now granted a live Ronaldinho card rated 80 (YES, bear with me) which you are required to use on this journey.

Attention! This is a live untradeable ICON card that reflects YOUR progress in this game! You will have to play with it continuously and complete side objectives to upgrade this card fully (up to maximum of 95) all live!

Your introductory step of this journey would be to take on the challenge of playing ONLINE with players from the Brazilian league, surrounded by x players from Gremio (Gremio is the home club of R10) required in the team. I would imagine a certain amount of wins would be necessary to proceed to the next stage BUT your performance with Ronaldinho will always be key to progress so a loss is seldom a dealbreaker.

Now, as a nod and honor to the player (R10 in this example), naturally the playstyle will revolve around skill moves, dribbling and flair. And so, bonus progress shall be granted for joga bonito...

Epilogue:

This is all just 15 minutes of brainstorming on paper that I wanted to share with you guys and clearly there are grand possibilities of refining these simple ideas. As you can see, there is so much goodies that we miss out on by conforming to the p2w structure and plain mediocrity from a billion dollar corporation.

The solutions are there, the ball is in your court EA.

Comments

• FCBlunt
    3111 posts National Call-Up
    I really liked this idea up until the ‘live’ cards. I dont think low tier Icons should be a thing, but I really like the idea of unique challenges to obtain the icons.

An idea could be to score/assist as many goals as Ron scored/assisted using a Brazilian players. (Including your own suggestion, and maybe a bit morek)

Deffo a good suggestion, I think icons should be hard to earnt, but not impossible to get. I think if you also removed TOTY from the game, a lot of other cards would become more viable.

Very nice :cookie:
  • dregana08
    3982 posts National Call-Up
    This ended up being a rather lengthy recollection of thoughts on how to improve FUT by diminishing the p2w aspect, making low tier cards viable again and diverting from the ultra-competitive dogma.

Let's start with ICONS. As a representation of the very best players to grace the sport, we need a massive clean up. We can't be having Pele and Nakata in the same category, i'm sorry. Just no. Moreover, ICONS have proven to be a disaster with 85-90% of them ended up being overpriced SBC fodder.

Note: Some of those deprecated ICONS could potentially be introduced in the form of flashbacks (of their prime moment at their respective club at the time).

The solution to the ICON bloat: maximum of 20 icons per game cycle. Make them a very rare packs drop AND long-term objective grind.

You should be able to start the grind on game release and complete it at a reasonable casual pace at around TOTY. More tenacious efforts should accelerate the process (perhaps based off an algorithm measuring a mixture of skill rating, games played and performance). Which means roughly 1 month long grind per icon at "tryhard" pace.

Moreover, attach weekly sbcs required as steps to long-term completion. Each icon should have unique objectives and requirements associated with the player. For instance, this could be part of a long-term completion of Ronaldinho 95:

"Embark on the journey of the legendary Ronaldo de Assis Moreira by following his footsteps to glory"... (insert your desired prosaic roleplay narrative).

The next step would be to enter/start this specific campaign/scenario/journey (or whatever you want to call it) by completing an initial SBC that is worth X coins.
    You are now granted a live Ronaldinho card rated 80 (YES, bear with me) which you are required to use on this journey.

Attention! This is a live untradeable ICON card that reflects YOUR progress in this game! You will have to play with it continuously and complete side objectives to upgrade this card fully (up to maximum of 95) all live!

Your introductory step of this journey would be to take on the challenge of playing ONLINE with players from the Brazilian league, surrounded by x players from Gremio (Gremio is the home club of R10) required in the team. I would imagine a certain amount of wins would be necessary to proceed to the next stage BUT your performance with Ronaldinho will always be key to progress so a loss is seldom a dealbreaker.

Now, as a nod and honor to the player (R10 in this example), naturally the playstyle will revolve around skill moves, dribbling and flair. And so, bonus progress shall be granted for joga bonito...

Epilogue:

This is all just 15 minutes of brainstorming on paper that I wanted to share with you guys and clearly there are grand possibilities of refining these simple ideas. As you can see, there is so much goodies that we miss out on by conforming to the p2w structure and plain mediocrity from a billion dollar corporation.

EA are not in the business of reducing their profits. If countries start following Belgiums suit and start banning the fale of FP, then maybe your idea will have a chance.

Other than that... 0% chance.
  • OZero
    6278 posts Big Money Move
    0% chance
  • El_Nino
    4409 posts National Call-Up
    edited May 2019
    It’s all a nice thought but from a business perspective it’s an incredibly stupid one. Believe it or not most businesses don’t want to slash profits.
  • LiamSully
    6871 posts Big Money Move
    It’s fifa, I just wanna play football not an RPG

Why is everyone’s latest idea all the same?
  • dregana08
    3982 posts National Call-Up
    LiamSully wrote: »

Then play Kick-off mode. We play UT because you build, better your team, grind etc.

Those who just want to play football play kick off mode or online seasons.
  • I SiR MartY I
    5753 posts Big Money Move

Some people value content over gameplay.

Personally, I'd rather the most bare bones mode if it meant good gameplay. Don't need live cards, SBCs any of that if the gameplay is actually decent.
  • I SiR MartY I
    5753 posts Big Money Move

Some people value content over gameplay.

Personally, I'd rather the most bare bones mode if it meant good gameplay. Don't need live cards, SBCs any of that if the gameplay is actually decent.

Would like both but doesn't seem possible with EA.
  • Bakudu76
    1938 posts Play-Off Hero

Guess how I know that you've never played pro clubs
  • CharlieC
    7366 posts Big Money Move
    We are expecting EA to be more philanthropic and they just aren't. They will milk the cow until it dies and then move onto the next cow.
  • BlackFridayRule
    1290 posts Professional
    I play nakata and litmanen in one of my teams.
    They are not viable to you, but to me, they are fun and players i enjoyed when they where active. Unlike pele or eusebio.

I play to have fun, the more high rated players the better
  • Satch85
    1138 posts Professional
    I like that idea a lot as someone who doesn’t get to play a great deal and isn’t a top player the grind appeals to me over time like that
  • BlackFridayRule
    1290 posts Professional
    I play nakata and litmanen in one of my teams.
    They are not viable to you, but to me, they are fun and players i enjoyed when they where active. Unlike pele or eusebio.

I play to have fun, the more high rated players the better

Ok.. I admit... Didnt read the whole post the first time... But not a bad idea... Grind up a player..

But wont happen cause of money... But fun idea
  • forearms
    5103 posts Big Money Move
    This is very similar to what The Show (MLB baseball game) did. You were given a player card that you needed to accumulate stats for, or objectives. That unlocked another, then another, until you got to the end game card.
  • RayS
    29128 posts National Team Captain
    I quite like this idea.

But I still want Nakata :#
  • IxToMxI
    6873 posts League Winner
    It’s funny, as we had years of balancing and handicap everyone moaned that a cheap BPL (was Barclays then) team was as good as their mega squad.

Now mega squads play like mega squads we want handicap back

I hated handicap and much prefer being hammered by god squads rather than having a god squad and being beaten by a team worth 30k who play like CR7

I know which one is more frustrating
  • Mrhey31
    1928 posts Fans' Favourite

Epilogue:

Guess you play MLB the show. Because lot of these aspects are in that game. Most ‘icon’ players have a base card that is really not that great ( but atleast you get to play with your favorite player) and a lot of grind, offline challenges to get your players. Or you just buy them for way to much on the market.
  • futballistic
    243 posts Sunday League Hero
    It’s all about the money so

Loot boxes will go
    Expansion Packs will arrive

Icon Expansion
    TOTY expansion
    Carniball Expansion
  • RayS
    29128 posts National Team Captain
    It’s all about the money so

Loot boxes will go
    Expansion Packs will arrive

Icon Expansion
    TOTY expansion
    Carniball Expansion

this legitimately would get me to stop playing FUT. I can barely fork over the amount I pay for the base version of the game with my Amazon Prime discount :D
  • Drachenfells
    868 posts Semi-Pro
    I would like objectives put in. like win 10 games get a gold pack, up to say win 750 games get a icon pack, just a little thing but I like objectives and long term ones with big juicy prizes I would love. I really like swap players, its the best new idea i've seen in a while, I usually stop playing in january but still play every day mainly due to swap players.