Share your crossing techniques

FCBlunt
3123 posts National Call-Up
edited April 2019
I cant for the life of me cross the ball with a consistent outcome. I think its a part of my game that’s lacking, considering I play a Barca style. I know high crossing is not very important in that style, but it would add to my game either way.

Unless my players are free, or I’m doing a R1+square cross into a proper chance. I just cant seem to pull them off.

I see people use the L1+square, but it just doesn’t seem to work that well for me.

So care to share with a fifa comrade. Do you know some top notch button combo that I dont?

Comments

• JURITO1000
    1670 posts Play-Off Hero
    I played against guy which has absolutely incredible crosses. He didnt miss. Doesnt matter if it was a high cross or driven but always found his player,i dont know he was doing it. Im very bad at crossing aswell
  • SPN1987
    2285 posts Fans' Favourite
    Crosses are just random. You gotta be delusional if you think it takes skill.🙄
  • Selgarr
    1525 posts Play-Off Hero
    I don't think you have to do a combo. Just do square. You just have to make sure you don't have the ball too close to the keeper when you cross and press circle to score quite soon after pressing square, but not too hard or it has too much power.
  • Safk001
    967 posts Professional
    What is the RB/R1 cross?
  • D Heleteli
    856 posts Semi-Pro
    Crossing is part random but you also need to most importantly keep an eye on your players position inside the box. For example if you have someone on the back post, use lofted cross (LB/L1). If you have someone making a late run inside then a regular one pointed towards that player might work.

But as I said, its random too. Crosses on Semi Assisted often still go to the wrong player.
  • Killer_Snake2017
    1608 posts Play-Off Hero
    When crossing bend your back backwards to get height also try and hit the bottom of the ball to get a bit of swerve and have your standing foot facing where you want to go...
    In Fifa just El tornado cross...
    (Disgraceful what the crossing mechanics have become...)
  • FCBlunt
    Safk001 wrote: »
    What is the RB/R1 cross?

Driven crosses, they’re better than the double square or triple square combo. I dont remember which one is the early or low cross combo there, but driven crosses are better than that at least.
    When crossing bend your back backwards to get height also try and hit the bottom of the ball to get a bit of swerve and have your standing foot facing where you want to go...
    In Fifa just El tornado cross...
    (Disgraceful what the crossing mechanics have become...)

Believe it or not, but I’m a pretty good crosser irl. I’m just too slow to play on the wing :lol:
    JURITO1000 wrote: »
    I played against guy which has absolutely incredible crosses. He didnt miss. Doesnt matter if it was a high cross or driven but always found his player,i dont know he was doing it. Im very bad at crossing aswell

This is exactly what I’m looking for too. A lot of people commented and said crossing is random, but then you meet players who cross like there’s no way to make mistakes while crossing. I’m really looking for those secrets. :smiley:
    D Heleteli wrote: »
    Crossing is part random but you also need to most importantly keep an eye on your players position inside the box. For example if you have someone on the back post, use lofted cross (LB/L1). If you have someone making a late run inside then a regular one pointed towards that player might work.

But as I said, its random too. Crosses on Semi Assisted often still go to the wrong player.

So the players who cross without fault have it on manual? Is that a possibilty?
  • Dis_Play
    318 posts Sunday League Hero
    I'm too, terrible at crossing, I wonder if it has something to do with settings, I would like to know from the people who are good at it, do you keep your cross assistance auto, semi, or manual?
  • Clancy
    8484 posts League Winner
    try crossing earlier, like way earlier than you think you should.

if you're waiting for your striker to get to a dangerous area before sending the cross in that's a very low percentage chance. The CBs will block it well, but if you send it super early they aren't in position yet.

I've scored headers with Ibra when he was a step outside the box, send em early!
  • Mr. Soper
    4269 posts National Call-Up
    have your players body facing in, not towards the goal line.
  • dabeags
    415 posts Sunday League Hero
    Crossing is less random than shooting in this game. If you have a winger with 90+ crossing and a elite tagetman then you will score a higher percentage of well set up crosses than you will well set up shots.

I play almost entirely for crosses and don’t find El Tornado to be OP at all. In fact when in D2 most can easily see the mechanic starting and block it.

Key to getting a good cross is to not be sprinting and get your player facing a bit towards goal. Also hit shoot with your target man as soon as you can as it helps him jockey for better position. I generally am going far post so I use lofted cross almost all the time.
  • SomeNextGuy
    4785 posts Big Money Move
    Sometimes you just know when it'll be a good cross that'll find someone. Other times you know it's just a roll of the dice.

In previous years far post crossing was overpowered, small wingers often out jumped bigger defenders. Now, having a big man up front does pay off if you cross quite a bit.
  • number7rocky
    9098 posts League Winner
    L1 Square crosses backpost are the most effective, helps having CR7 on the end of them. Then there's El Tornado crosses which are also op, have no issues about using it considering every opponent plays drop back
  • FCBlunt
    Clancy wrote: »

if you're waiting for your striker to get to a dangerous area before sending the cross in that's a very low percentage chance. The CBs will block it well, but if you send it super early they aren't in position yet.

I've scored headers with Ibra when he was a step outside the box, send em early!

This is a good tip, ty mate.

Thanks to all of you lads too, I’ll try your suggestions to up my crossing game. :cookie:
  • CustardHippo
    3284 posts National Call-Up
    Since changing to 3421 I had to change my approach as my RF and LF are inverted, so weak foot crosses weren't always great. However cutting back to their stronger foot then L1 crossing I found causes problems. Whips a ball in towards far post with the ST usually dropping onto it. However as others have said it's all quite random.
  • MHoney1234
    10339 posts Has That Special Something
    edited April 2019
    SPN1987 wrote: »

Lol. Crossing is all about timing. Too many just spam and hope. You need to watch the player run, the timing has to be right. Spam them in and he’s behind the man, then 8/10 it’s not getting there.

Crossing is this simple. Aim at the guy in space, press cross, shoot button. Magic.

Or if you’ve got CR7 or Ibra at RCAM or LCAM go to the line, cut back, lofted cross to back post L1/R1 + shoot button for downwards header.
  • Gnomenclature
    8265 posts League Winner
    The key to scoring goals on crosses is to pull defenders off your forwards. From the the wing, try to get as far as you can to the goal line and dribble around the fullback that is marking your winger. At this point, your opponent has most likely called a second man in (with rb) - lob a cross toward the penalty spot away from the keeper. Gaurantee you have an unmarked player ready to head it in or crush a volley.

Learn to master all the crossing types the game allows. L1 + x (scooped lob) is fantastic for beating the defender marking your forwards run into the box. Ground passes at this point almost always get intercepted by the ai.

Double x or low driven crosses are insane on a counter attack - especially if you have a pacey striker with good attacking position.

First time cross - nedved is the master of this (look for players with the early cross trait).

Players with high curve and high cross stats are the most affective for putting in pinpoint crosses.

Basically, try not to cross into the opposing goal keeper - put it in front of them.

• number7rocky
    9098 posts League Winner
    edited April 2019
    MHoney1234 wrote: »

Lol. Crossing is all about timing. Too many just spam and hope. You need to watch the player run, the timing has to be right. Spam them in and he’s behind the man, then 8/10 it’s not getting there.

Crossing is this simple. Aim at the guy in space, press cross, shoot button. Magic.

Or if you’ve got CR7 or Ibra at RCAM or LCAM go to the line, cut back, lofted cross to back post L1/R1 + shoot button for downwards header.

Yes it's not difficult once you know the effective ways to cross and have CR7 on the end of it. Lots of people just "whip" it in and hope. The amount of crosses I score back post most games it aint random when you know where to put the ball, whether you score of it then randomness comes in.

Lofted cross backpost and downwards header is my bread and butter 😂

4 star weak foot min though is a must and high crossing also so you can cross on either foot, that's why Bale or Inaki Williams didn't work for me because of 3 star and only being able to cross on strong foot. Bale was better than Inaki because cutting back is better than not being able to though because like you said alot of the time your ahead of the play and need to cut back.
  • bberger
    7837 posts League Winner
    Just spam El Tornado crosses. Doesn't matter who performs it or how good the crossing stat is..
  • Futfanatic
    15984 posts World Class
    edited April 2019
    I’ve been crossing for years, before all the kids started using ibra and spamming backpost crosses. The best way to do it is to cross into space, Most of my crosses that I score from are from when I just enter the final third, a few yards before the penalty box. I simply aim for the space between the goalkeeper and the last defender, where my attacker is running into. Often he beats the defender and you can volley it in or a small tap works too. Almost three bars of power.

Another good way to score from crosses is the short cross, from the side of the box to an attacker runnig towards the first post. One bar of power, aim almost towards the keeper, the key is not the aim but the amount of power, and your attacker can do the diving forward animation where he heads it in at the first post.

Those two are my favorite ways to score from crosses.
  • SPN1987
    What is the fun in crossing? It's not like you broke someone's defence down. And that's what it is all about to me when playing FIFA in my opinion. Scoring crosses has never gotten me some satisfaction. I'm not sure how it works for others.
  • ImAtrocious
    3203 posts National Call-Up
    What is the fun in crossing? It's not like you broke someone's defence down. And that's what it is all about to me when playing FIFA in my opinion. Scoring crosses has never gotten me some satisfaction. I'm not sure how it works for others.

I can't agree with this...I think that what most of the prior posts point out is that crossing improves with timing and the specific type of cross being performed, which is definitely a skill. That has to be satisfying, doesn't it? I don't score a lot off crosses, so when I do one that fits the situation perfectly, it's extremely rewarding.

Compared to spamming passes and triggering 1-2's (not saying this is your idea of breaking people down, but it is for lots), crossing actually takes a lot more ability.
  • GL
    17205 posts World Class
    @Orison help the lads out
  • Satch85
    1310 posts Professional
    Hit em in early and let go of spring before you press cross seems to work for me, and buy 87 Giroud
  • SPN1987

I can't agree with this...I think that what most of the prior posts point out is that crossing improves with timing and the specific type of cross being performed, which is definitely a skill. That has to be satisfying, doesn't it? I don't score a lot off crosses, so when I do one that fits the situation perfectly, it's extremely rewarding.

Compared to spamming passes and triggering 1-2's (not saying this is your idea of breaking people down, but it is for lots), crossing actually takes a lot more ability.

No. since there isn't much you can do about when defending it. I don't care what spectacular technique you give to your crosses. As long as the player you are crossing the ball is completely marked it doesn't make sense it will be promoted to a goal. 1-2's are BS for the most part as well since there is a lot passing assistance. I consider breaking people down is being unpredictable with your passing plays, skillmoves and dribbles. Crossing is just way too random.
  • Paul9619
    720 posts Semi-Pro
    I don't do it myself yet but the most effective I have seen against me is when the winger starts juggling with the ball (keepy uppies) and then fires it in on the volley. Seen a lot of people start doing this with shots outside the box too. Very unrealistic but very effective
  • Theomanny
    2750 posts National Call-Up
    451 is your friend
  • SPN1987
    Paul9619 wrote: »
    I don't do it myself yet but the most effective I have seen against me is when the winger starts juggling with the ball (keepy uppies) and then fires it in on the volley. Seen a lot of people start doing this with shots outside the box too. Very unrealistic but very effective

Please for the love of god, DON't turn into ''one of them'' :s:s
  • Dmb75
    1019 posts Professional
    Formation is also very important in terms of crossing I have used some formations where it felt impossible to cross. I currently use the 41212 narrow with fbs on balanced. I take my backs all the way to the byline and then L1+square. Works very well for me.
  • MHoney1234
    10339 posts Has That Special Something
    edited April 2019
    MHoney1234 wrote: »

Yes it's not difficult once you know the effective ways to cross and have CR7 on the end of it. Lots of people just "whip" it in and hope. The amount of crosses I score back post most games it aint random when you know where to put the ball, whether you score of it then randomness comes in.

Lofted cross backpost and downwards header is my bread and butter 😂

4 star weak foot min though is a must and high crossing is a must though so you can cross on either foot, that's why Bale or Inaki Williams didn't work for me because of 3 star and only being able to cross on strong foot. Bale was better than Inaki because cutting back is better than not being able to.

100%
    Clancy wrote: »

Early crosses only work of the player is free or in space. Don’t spam early crosses for the sake of it.