The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Does anyone else refuse to do skill moves? And what are your ranking points?

Damo_Suzuki
2054 posts Fans' Favourite
I refuse to do skill moves, i see them as somewhat of a cheat as you can ghost through well timed challenges as opposed to having to think around defenders with passing patterns. I'm around 2200 skill points. I won't even do the fake shot. I'm interested to see if anyone competes at a high/elite level with no skill moves at all......

Comments

• Damo_Suzuki
    I probably pull off a minimum of 10 or so a game. It’s part of football, and especially South American football, the flair.
    It’s not cheating at all. :D

Personally I don't think the skill of doing it in reality is able to be replicated in a game as it is too finite and would require multiple actions. These multiple actions are replicated with simple button presses. In game it rewards 'anti-football' in my opinion.
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    3929 posts National Call-Up
    These mental hurdles of yours are unwarranted impediments to your progress.

Let's flip your flawed logic for a moment: you condemn active input that requires timing and finesse yet have no qualms about overpowered passives such as automated defending with bare minimum input. If anything, active input scaled by intricasy should be viable and rewarding every single time over passive game mechanics that function as a bailout for scrubs.
  • Purplejacket
    2984 posts National Call-Up
    Without skill moves this game would be the most boring fifa ever!

Its a video game, and its not like skills are op, only the iniesta move, even then. If u cant defend skill moves you aredoing something wrong.
  • Purplejacket
    Its like saying dinho cr7 r9 are cheating cuz they can do skill moves and won about everything in world footballl. pffft.
  • Damo_Suzuki
    These mental hurdles of yours are unwarranted impediments to your progress.

Let's flip your flawed logic for a moment: you condemn active input that requires timing and finesse yet have no qualms about overpowered passives such as automated defending with bare minimum input. If anything, active input scaled by intricasy should be viable and rewarding every single time over passive game mechanics that function as a bailout for scrubs.

So lets take your 'active input' as spamming la croquetta. This requires timing and finesse? This disables the active input as i already mentioned as in a well timed tackle. This isn't automated, i manually time a tackle and it is disabled by 'bare minimum input' as you mention. So yes i agree active input should be viable and rewarding over passive game mechanics that function as a bail out for scrubs. I would say having to pass, hold, turn, watch for runs is more based around active input as opposed to just running at a defence and spamming buttons. Where is the intracacy exactly?
  • VladimirSochi
    657 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I’m with you. Stopped playing this year about a month in and I basically just surf these forums now to see what’s new and if changesvare being made. And I’m probably as interested in conversations about the game as I am the game itself at this point sadly. Been playing since 94

Anyway, I don’t skill and I was a solid Gold 1 player in last years game and managed a few Elite finishes once in a blue moon.

While it’s noy cheating, it’s just two easily abused. Kids spam it so much and if the do it at just the right time, it doesn’t matter if you tackle someone perfectly getting all ball, it’ll be called a foul.

I can do them. And I use maybe one a game, but I tend to agree. It’s far too arcade feeling for me and just unrealistic. The fact that it often puts you in a lose/lose position makes me very anti skill move. It’s either foul then and give them a free kick in front of the box or let them perform the move and get a shot on goal. Such BS
  • Gnomenclature
    5079 posts Big Money Move
    I only seem to use the realistic ones - the kind you see in every high level match.

Stepovers, feint left/right, heavy touch, drag back, fake shot, and first touch flicks.

Ok, I also do heel-2-heels... I've never in my life seen a footballer do these on purpose...
  • EekAlaska
    1684 posts Play-Off Hero
    Lol, hope you didnt use timed finesse or low driven or crosses or gk movement etc...
  • VladimirSochi
    657 posts An Exciting Prospect
    EekAlaska wrote: »
    Lol, hope you didnt use timed finesse or low driven or crosses or gk movement etc...

I mean, all that is pretty much why I quit playing the ridiculous ❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • Damo_Suzuki
    EekAlaska wrote: »

Nope, i had no interest in even learning timed finesse, gk movement and i only cross if there is no option to pass. Timed finesse and GK movement destroyed this fifa (as if it wasn't already destroyed by delay). These are all anti-football imo. I did use low driven at the end of fifa 18 though but only to finish in the box. Not to spam.
  • truegunn3r
    9967 posts Has That Special Something
    edited April 2019
    I wouldn’t really call them a cheat. Usually skill moves need to be well timed to dodge tackles. I’d rather call parking the bus and then just relying on Sane to run to the byline and zig zag through on goal to be more of a cheat.

I do think the La Croqueta needs to be nerfed a little
  • Damo_Suzuki
    truegunn3r wrote: »
    I wouldn’t really score them a cheat. Usually skill moves need to be well timed to dodge tackles. I’d rather call parking the bus and then just relying on Sane to run to the byline and zig zag through on goal to be more of a cheat

Zig zagging is easy to defend if you time time tackles.......unless they use skill moves which disables your manual tackles...... If people just zig zag then it's my bad for not timing tackles well enough.....
  • Mincepie171286
    295 posts Sunday League Hero
    It’s not that I refuse you to do them I just can’t. I’m 32 years old and my fingers don’t move as quick as they used to do. I’m 1300 1400 skill ranking
  • truegunn3r
    9967 posts Has That Special Something
    edited April 2019
    I wouldn’t really score them a cheat. Usually skill moves need to be well timed to dodge tackles. I’d rather call parking the bus and then just relying on Sane to run to the byline and zig zag through on goal to be more of a cheat

Zig zagging is easy to defend if you time time tackles.......unless they use skill moves which disables your manual tackles...... If people just zig zag then it's my bad for not timing tackles well enough.....

I’d say the same about skill moves. You only get left for dead with skill moves is when you commit into tackles too frequently. How frequently do Hazard and Messi get tackled in real life. The answer is not many because defenders fear to miss and be left to collect dust. They usually contain, jockey, keep them on their weak side and only commit to tackles when the time is right. The same principles apply in the game. Too many people just go ‘team pressing’ and expect to snatch the ball and then cry when someone skills straight through them
  • Damo_Suzuki

I’d say the same about skill moves. You only get left for dead with skill moves is when you commit into tackles too frequently. How many players slide and stand tackle Hazard and Messi all over the pitch. They usually contain, jockey keep them on their weak side and only commit to tackles when the time is right. Same thing applies in the game. Too many people just go ‘team pressing’ and expect to snatch the ball and then cry when someone skills through them

I agree with you. Playing football for real the number one rule is don't commit if you're not going to get the ball. Even a really fit person can be a good defender if they don't commit and stay goal side, try and read someone and recover quickly. I think skill moves disable the ability to recover even if you read them. If you don't believe there is an imbalance then its just a difference of opinion which is fine.
  • RayS
    29122 posts National Team Captain
    I do not sorry
  • Nessy
    2260 posts Fans' Favourite
    Never done a skill move in fut, never got the hang of it so just give up trying.

I'm div 1 rank 1 in rivals with 1920 points currently and gold 1 is my best finish in WL.
  • I'm 43 and rarely use them, but my 12 year old nephew spams skills all game
  • greif44
    3220 posts National Call-Up
    I`m ok with skill moves as long as people use them creatively and in the right time. When opponent starts skill move spam in the middle of the pitch and no one is really chasing him, that looks pathetic.
  • Purplejacket
    It’s not that I refuse you to do them I just can’t. I’m 32 years old and my fingers don’t move as quick as they used to do. I’m 1300 1400 skill ranking

Im 37 at 2100... u r still young af
  • ASX
    2687 posts Fans' Favourite
    Fake shot the only one I use regularly.

Div3 1550
  • torakun
    1945 posts Fans' Favourite
    Fake shot for me.. But that's because I've been using them ever since PES in PS1 era.. So it comes natural.

1920 skill point.
  • Anarki301
    350 posts Sunday League Hero
    Well, since the dribbling is non existent in FIFA 19, what else can you do to past opponents other than skill moves, but yes they are gimmick and yes they are stupid, but what can we do, it is what it is.
  • Notformeclive
    2453 posts Fans' Favourite
    I never used to, my philosophy is the same as yours, however I have recently started using ball-rolls and drag-backs as I got sick of opposition players just ploughing into me without ever being penalised.

You should be able to just protect the ball with body position but for some reason people are allowed to just sprint into the back of you, knock you over and their player will magically suck the ball through your player, it is literally, for me, just a defence against this.
    Manual tackling on the other hand they either bounce off you or your player does a stupid exaggerated lunge and can't recover.

The biggest nonsense on a game full of them.

• SC1967
    10739 posts Has That Special Something
    The only skill moves I ever do are stepovers and the Ronaldo chop.

Have no motivation to learn others, and I feel like I cope quite well without them.
  • Damo_Suzuki
    Anarki301 wrote: »
    Well, since the dribbling is non existent in FIFA 19, what else can you do to past opponents other than skill moves, but yes they are gimmick and yes they are stupid, but what can we do, it is what it is.

You could try to pass, watch for runs, hold/pass back and watch for different patterns of play to emerge then pick the right option? I suppose that would require thinking...
  • tatadwader
    2423 posts Fans' Favourite
    no skilling for me.

i'm between d3 and d4 on the reg.
  • SomeNextGuy
    3207 posts National Call-Up
    edited April 2019
    I use them less than I did on previous Fifa's.

I'll do stepovers regularly, the McGeady/Berba spin, roulette from time to time, ball roll, fake shot usually just to stop dead.

Rainbow flicks sometimes for a laugh.

1950 skill points, I'll barely play 10 rivals games a week...
  • Nervous_Nick
    6186 posts Big Money Move
    I might do a couple of skill moves every game...but i’m not a fan.
    I can’t stand dragback and la croqueta abusers.