The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & on PC and includes the changes listed here.

EA programmed lag compensation is flawed

Pila4life
311 posts Sunday League Hero
EA has admitted (by referring to it in a patch this year) that they have programmed into the game “lag compensation”. This is where the player with the better connection is throttled therefore “evening out” the game for both players. This system is ridiculously flawed in this game and needs to be recalibrated. It over penalizes you for having good internet. Anyone else have any thoughts on this.

Comments

• Renamed123456
    6198 posts Big Money Move
    Ubisoft tried this with Rainbow 6 Siege... it was horrible...

You could strafe behind a wall, an enemy shoots where you were 2 seconds so and die.

They realised this was dumb, and they changed or reverted it. They still worked on making it fair, but made sure you're not punished for having a good connection.
  • Pocketsquareguy
    6077 posts Big Money Move
    You’re definitely better off being the person with slow internet.
  • BlackFridayRule
    1133 posts Professional
    You guys do know you get lag in offline games as well? Its not that common, but usually happen on break aways
  • MHoney1234
    9608 posts League Winner
    Play on wired in WL but wireless in DR for these reasons. So many people playing on potato internet connections
  • ASX
    2504 posts Fans' Favourite
    I think most people lag due to wireless.

This weekend I tried wireless connection out for the first time as my son was using the cable I normally use for my gaming PC (has no wireless card). Signal strength was excellent as the wireless router is pretty much next to the PS4 but the gameplay was horrendous.

I kicked my son off the PC and plugged the cable back into the PS4 and back to smooth gameplay.
  • FCBlunt
    3111 posts National Call-Up

Bad netcode, lag compensation and the like leads to this.

If EA keep downgrading their netcode and servers, we might see the return of lagswitchers to cheat the compensation.
  • hello i got a weird problem. since i got my new internet (50 mbit download / 12 mbit upload ping 15-25) players feel deadly slow ingame. the game is nearly unplayable. a ronaldinho e.g. feels like a 55 player in turning and stuff like that. does anyone know whats wrong/what could help me?

thanks so much
  • CFCHenri
    3499 posts National Call-Up
    This is why my gameplay sucks despite having 120mb down and 20mb up. I always get home matches and they lag horribly for me. Prefer playing away sometimes but it’s not much different
  • Str8hii
    1576 posts Play-Off Hero
    CFCHenri wrote: »
    This is why my gameplay sucks despite having 120mb down and 20mb up. I always get home matches and they lag horribly for me. Prefer playing away sometimes but it’s not much different

Game plays the same with 1mbps and 500 mbs i limited my ps4 to 1 mbps and 250mbps same game play you dont need speed to play online just quality line fifa runs of kbps its their servers and your distance from servers that created input lag
  • Nonavital
    119 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    You guys do know you get lag in offline games as well? Its not that common, but usually happen on break aways

I dont think you have offline modes in fut. Even squad battles and seasons are playing online.
  • lippyone
    2080 posts Fans' Favourite
    Worried now as have been playing on a fairly slow 4g wireless (20MPS) download, which has been fairly lag free.

Am now having ultra fast fibre installed, please tell me it may not actually be slower when playing FIFA
  • CfcBlue
    3808 posts National Call-Up
    I’m on wireless. Gameplay is usually fine here. No lag or anything. Just the... my players stuck in mud and deciding to play spaced out one game to the next that’s something else.
  • joehuk
    3554 posts National Call-Up
    CFCHenri wrote: »

I have 70 down 20 up and also prefer away games, home games are horrendous for me my team always always seem slightly behind what's actually happening.