Starting to not even press standing tackle anymore

JayyThunder
4264 posts Big Money Move
I’m still manually jockeying on defense, but I’m deliberately NOT pressing the standing tackle button because I’m convinced it’s just there to give the ball back to opposition and act as a negative mechanic rather than a positive.
Like I think EA DOESN’T want you to press standing tackle on defense and they’ve been tricking us this entire time. Just like slide tackles, they want it used as a last ditch effort to try and get the ball back from the opposition.

And it’s working. You guys should try and see how it goes.

Comments

• Boommaametw3
    1744 posts Play-Off Hero
    EA developers don't watch football. The purpose of the tackling to "win" possesion of the ball not just to kick it away to another player.
  • Ben
    3298 posts National Call-Up
    The missed stand tackle is the worst animation in the game . It happens without user input all the time too.
  • Royboy
    739 posts Semi-Pro
    Isn’t your method manual defending?
  • Seandimes
    1521 posts Play-Off Hero
    Dont use standing tackle unless you are in a situation where you absolutely have to. Just running into the opponent is much more effective.
    Tackling manually just benefits your opponent 9 out of 10 times
  • Pacey3_16
    1791 posts Fans' Favourite
    Looks like this is where I'm goin wrong
  • SomeNextGuy
    2606 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited April 7
    Yep, standing tackle more often than not results in your player just prodding the ball in whatever direction, and you're left hoping that it falls to one of your player's. There are times when you know it'll be clean though, usually when coming in at an angle.

Usually I'll just walk into them...
  • BernaLeo87
    344 posts Sunday League Hero
    Seandimes wrote: »
    Dont use standing tackle unless you are in a situation where you absolutely have to. Just running into the opponent is much more effective.
    Tackling manually just benefits your opponent 9 out of 10 times

• Delboy13710
    4720 posts National Call-Up
    I refuse to stop tackling
    Even if it means I loose more because of it .
    I enjoy tackling it's part of the game .

The sad part is it's now the norm not to tackle on a football game . Guess EA want to reduce the skill gap and encourage more casual playing
  • swfcfan89
    874 posts Semi-Pro
    They over-complicated it years ago when they changed from the tried and tested formula and introduced 'tactical' defending. It's been an unresponsive mess ever since and why AI defending is so prevalent today.
  • JayyThunder
    4264 posts Big Money Move
    Royboy wrote: »
    Isn’t your method manual defending?

I guess you can’t comprehend very well...

• hayhor1
    14219 posts Has That Special Something
    I’m still manually jockeying on defense, but I’m deliberately NOT pressing the standing tackle button because I’m convinced it’s just there to give the ball back to opposition and act as a negative mechanic rather than a positive.
    Like I think EA DOESN’T want you to press standing tackle on defense and they’ve been tricking us this entire time. Just like slide tackles, they want it used as a last ditch effort to try and get the ball back from the opposition.

And it’s working. You guys should try and see how it goes.

Yep just hold l2
  • Denz
    2030 posts Fans' Favourite
    Thinking about this I probably press stand tackle 3-4 times a match. Without consciously thinking about it the last few years have just made me not use it.

Unless timed perfectly, and your players is a strong tackler compared to the strength of the opposition player then you just disadvantage yourself.

I probably actually slide more than stand tackle.