Need Help.... How do you perform a header?

xEB50x
133 posts Has Potential To Be Special
I've been playing Fifa since 15 so you would think I would know how to do headers, but I'm very inconsistent. Can someone please explain the process? I'm talking on offense. I don't really have an issue clearing balls and passing with the head. Just near goal...Corners, crosses, and lobs.

1. Do you have to hit a button to jump?
2. If so is it the shoot button, and when do you push it?
3. Do you push the shoot button at time of contact?
4. Do you use the left stick, like his head, and time it to shoot the direction you want?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've tried all the above combos, but I never get consistent results. I just tend to spam the button more times then not. It's cost me many goals not understanding the mechanic.

Thank you to anyone that can provide with me with the right way to head a ball.

Comments

• Gnomenclature
    2471 posts Fans' Favourite
    It's the shoot button... if the ball is near the attackers head, he'll use his head. Try using high crosses or scoops if you want more headers.

Lb + rb (xbox) and shoot will do a downward header. Same as a low driven shot.
  • DicaniosGod
    4914 posts Big Money Move
    Wait until the ball is in the right position, catch it early and it’s going way over!
  • xEB50x
    It's the shoot button... if the ball is near the attackers head, he'll use his head. Try using high crosses or scoops if you want more headers.

Thanks, I did not know about the lb+rb. So, you do not have to initiate the jump? Or does the B button activate the jump and shot/header?
  • AdamH
    881 posts Semi-Pro
    Headers into the ground are OP. I do it with every header I have
  • EisenErmin
    5337 posts Big Money Move
    Spamming the button is the worst you can do. NEVER do it as the second press of the shoot/heading button will count as a "timed finishing" and most likely a bad timed one.
  • xEB50x
    EisenErmin wrote: »
    Spamming the button is the worst you can do. NEVER do it as the second press of the shoot/heading button will count as a "timed finishing" and most likely a bad timed one.

ThanksI kind of figured the spam was not good...lol So, Do I only hit the B button one time right before impact?
  • Gnomenclature
    xEB50x wrote: »

Thanks, I did not know about the lb+rb. So, you do not have to initiate the jump? Or does the B button activate the jump and shot/header?

They'll jump. It's all in the timing really - first time shots for headers. Depends on the player too. Cr7 and ibra just love heading the ball. I dunno... sometimes you just hit the shoot button right as the cross leaves your boot and it gets headed in.

Tall players with high jumping and heading stats are obviously more likely to go for headers. Ie. Fb ibra, butra, cr7, cavani, and Socrates (his jumping is trash, but his height makes up for it).

Also power header trait is something to look out for. Nothing in this game is more satisfying than a header that rips the net apart lol. Fb luiz goals on corners for instance - I live for those kinda goals.
  • EisenErmin

ThanksI kind of figured the spam was not good...lol So, Do I only hit the B button one time right before impact?

You hit the button to jump for a header maybe when the ball is still 5-10 feet away from the player that is getting the header. It takes some practise to get it perfect, but you will improve. I cross a lot and there are times where i allready know its going to be a goal (or hitting the post) while the player is about starting to jump and the ball isnt even close to his head.
  • EisenErmin
    edited April 3

You hit the button to jump for a header maybe when the ball is still 5-10 feet away from the player that is getting the header. It takes some practise to get it perfect, but you will improve. I cross a lot and there are times where i allready know its going to be a goal (or hitting the post) while the player is about starting to jump and the ball isnt even close to his head.

If you want a timed header you hit "shoot button" in that moment when the ball is making conatakt to the head, same as its with shooting on the ground. That said i almost never use timed headers and scoring headers for fun.

Edit: sorry for quoting myself, i just wanted to edit my comment.
  • Renamed123456
    3881 posts National Call-Up
    I'd like to know how *not* to perform a header.

Too many times a beachball slowly descends and I press ○ to smash it into the back of the net. Only for my player to gently float a birthday balloon header to the keeper.

Hate that ish
  • D0lvl
    1387 posts Play-Off Hero
    I find it more consistent in scoring headers by immediately pressing the shoot button and direction of the net as soon as the ball leaves the kicker’s foot.

Timed headers vs regular headers - both score the same but timed headers look more visually appealing
  • Gnomenclature
    I'd like to know how *not* to perform a header.

Too many times a beachball slowly descends and I press ○ to smash it into the back of the net. Only for my player to gently float a birthday balloon header to the keeper.

Hate that ish

I hear that... especially when they can easily crush a volley in.
  • lippyone
    1126 posts Professional
    quick tap of B button or long hold?

What I can,t get right is corners. Sometimes my opponents players will leap really high in the air and score from a corner. Yet none of my players will do that. The ball floats into the area I press B and nothing much happens.

• Renamed123456
    3881 posts National Call-Up
    lippyone wrote: »

Somewhere in between.
  • EisenErmin
    lippyone wrote: »

What I can,t get right is corners. Sometimes my opponents players will leap really high in the air and score from a corner. Yet none of my players will do that. The ball floats into the area I press B and nothing much happens.

I score so much headers both from corners and open play, so i would recommend at corners to press the button quite early and way before the ball is close to the player.
  • Dmb75
    392 posts Sunday League Hero
    Don’t forget to use LB+X (Xbox) for a lobbed cross. I started scoring way more headers after using this.