The truth about the frostbite engine and why bugs don't get fixed.

Pughy30
25344 posts Player of the Year
When you read some of this you realise why fifa is such a mess the engine the games being run on is a nightmare for game devs by the looks of it.

the full story on Kotaku talks abou the failure of Anthem and the problems working with EA and frostbite
https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

“I would say the biggest problem I had with Frostbite was how many steps you needed to do something basic. With another engine I could do something myself, maybe with a designer. Here it’s a complicated thing.”

"BioWare developers say Frostbite can make their jobs exponentially more difficult. Building new iterations on levels and mechanics can be challenging due to sluggish tools, while bugs that should take a few minutes to squash might require days of back-and-forth conversations."

"EA’s Frostbite engine continued to make life miserable for many of BioWare’s developers, and understaffed departments struggled to serve their team’s needs."

“Frostbite is full of razor blades,” one former BioWare employee told me a few weeks ago, aptly summing up the feelings of perhaps hundreds of game developers who have worked at Electronic Arts over the past few years.

“Frostbite is like an in-house engine with all the problems that entails—it’s poorly documented, hacked together, and so on—with all the problems of an externally sourced engine,”

Comments

• BorussenBernie09
    1364 posts Professional
    So, the only thing we can hope for is, that FIFA works with Unreal Engine in 20.

If not and it's still Frostbite, i won't buy 20.
  • joehuk
    3161 posts National Call-Up
    edited April 2
    So, the only thing we can hope for is, that FIFA works with Unreal Engine in 20.

it will be frostbite,

Can't see EA using Unreal, also the amount of work that will be needed to get it up and running on Unreal now is far to much for a sep release!

but yeah Frostbite was once amazing when owned soley by DICE, EA devlopers got hold of it and ruined the hell out of it.
  • holdenwait
    54770 posts Ballon d'Or Winner

whatever fifa 20 is, it's already %60-70+ completed so wouldn't hold my breath for any changes
  • padr81
    114 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited April 2
    We won't see it for fifa20, Pes is rumored to be moving to Unreal though so will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Most companies like their own hacked together engines so they won't have to give Epic a slice of the pie.

The thought of EA giving up 5% of Fifa earnings... not in a million years.
    They'd have to increase pack prices across the board and fire more employees.
  • Shaanxz
    20099 posts Club Captain
    joehuk wrote: »

it will be frostbite,

Can't see EA using Unreal, also the amount of work that will be needed to get it up and running on Unreal now is far to much for a sep release!

but yeah Frostbite was once amazing when owned soley by DICE, EA devlopers got hold of it and ruined the hell out of it.

Pes are 100% switching to unreal for next gen
  • Renamed123456
    3881 posts National Call-Up
    padr81 wrote: »
    We won't see it for fifa20, Pes is rumored to be moving to Unreal though so will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Played pes lite. It is terrible.

Feels like an arcade game. Fees robotic. Doesn't compare to feel of fifa when fifa is playing right.
  • joehuk
    Shaanxz wrote: »
    joehuk wrote: »

it will be frostbite,

Pes are 100% switching to unreal for next gen

that does sound interesting indeed, i would be really intrested to see how it looks/plays.

Unreal engine is incredible tbh.
  • Renamed123456
    3881 posts National Call-Up
    What games use unreal ?
  • joehuk
    edited April 2
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_4

most concerning part from a PES pov is that a football game has never really been done on UNREAL 4, looking at that PES2019 mobile was done on UNREAL 4 but meh mobile game :joy:
  • Zambo9
    4998 posts Big Money Move
    The day EA will maybe change things is when next gen consoles will be out
  • bberger
    5108 posts Big Money Move
    Or when PES20 actually rocks it on unreal.. they are close concept wise and it's time for a change of pace.. tgrow in a few more licenses and the power will shift..
  • Raider
    3428 posts National Call-Up
    bberger wrote: »
    Or when PES20 actually rocks it on unreal.. they are close concept wise and it's time for a change of pace.. tgrow in a few more licenses and the power will shift..

dont even have to be licences really, just do a decent gameplay and a fun mode to play, oh and in the end a menu system that looks like an AAA game not some indie product
  • Kingkay
    1740 posts Fans' Favourite
    Anyone who’s played battlefield knows how clunky the frostbite engine is
  • FCBlunt
    1850 posts Play-Off Hero
    It sucks for Bioware to be stuck in the middle of EA’s worst years. I dont hope their next few titles will ruin the branch enough for EA to kill it off.

With that being said, I dont see why EA rely so heavily on the frostbite engine still. We’re about to cross into the next gen, surely they’ll have to upgrade their ****.