3-1-4-2 is the most fun formation.

sonnyfilth
3782 posts National Call-Up
Have played 10 or 11 Div 1 games since changing can't remember exactly.

Lost 1, drew 1, both in the first 3 since changing to it, won all the others.

This formation is just blowing my mind.

If you can't manually defend at times you will struggle.

The in game player ratings/pre match formation screens show it as some weird like, demented christmas tree with everyone out of position, in game it plays like how it actually shows in the squad formation page, although on goal kicks you need to hold RT to bring your CB close to play it short as players are out of position for the goal kicks for some reason, other than that they're perfect.

Anyone else been using it? Wish I'd changed earlier, something so satisfying about playing with 3 CB's.

Tempted to try the 3-5-2 but I much prefer the fluidity of the 2 box to boxes in front of a DM as opposed to 2 DM's and a CAM

Comments

• Thuq
    825 posts Semi-Pro
    What team are you using for this formation?
  • sonnyfilth
    Thuq wrote: »
    What team are you using for this formation?

@Thuq

At first I was using a CR7 Rashford Crespo hybrid team but I didn't like it as I had to put some people out of position (first 3 games weren't fun due to adapting and the weird team)

Sold CR7 afterwards and going to invest/use the liquid properly when I decide on what I want to build 100% and see how this promo plays out, not getting done by tax/swapping lol, so playing with untradeables and cheap golds for the time being as these golds preform the same as top end cards until you hit the 1mil+ per card range.

In game, all full chem it's

Prime Crespo + POTM Rashford striking.

86 Dembele (Barcelona) left wing, 87 Sterling right wing.

Kondogbia LCM, Dele Alli RCM, Fabinho CDM.

Prime moments Cannavaro LCB, FB David Luiz CB, Azpilicueta RCB.

De Gea GK.

The CDM ventures a little too far forward for my liking, so when I buy up the CDM has to be more of a Kante and less of a Fabinho if you can't get a Gullit/attacking DM, Nainggolan when subbed on over Fabinho does probably a better job if he was full chem with a boost. even Fernandinho would be better probably.
  • Bread
    144 posts Sunday League Hero
    Isn’t this formation broke in game?
  • sonnyfilth
    Bread wrote: »
    Isn’t this formation broke in game?

@Bread

It LOOKS broken on the pause menu/player ratings page.

In game it plays out how it looks in the squad building/active squad page, so it plays fine, just looks funny in pre match view and player ratings view.

APART from GK's, it takes a few seconds for players to get back in to the right position, I don't know why lol, but if you just hold RT/R1 they do.
  • Thuq
    825 posts Semi-Pro
    @sonnyfilth

Gotcha budd. Might try this formation out someday soon!
  • abcdefg123
    802 posts Semi-Pro
    It's horrible for me :/ The cms get further forward than the wingers
  • Renamed123456
    3599 posts National Call-Up
    Played against it once. Destroyed it.
  • JayyThunder
    3985 posts National Call-Up
    I used 3142 at the beginning of the year, it's gets too claustrophobic in the middle. There's just WAYY too many people. And when you play against someone who presses the whole game, one person can defend two players and it limits your options.
  • Lkane
    687 posts Semi-Pro
    I find 3421 better. Glad other people are mixing up formations though instead of the usual 4231 or 41212(2).
  • sonnyfilth
    abcdefg123 wrote: »
    It's horrible for me :/ The cms get further forward than the wingers

@abcdefg123 I don't have that issue yet, or when I do it's because I make them. My DM gets further forward than my CM's is more regular for me, but that's ok because I can use him to pressure/tackle and then if he forces a pass my CM's are back in position to get it, less energy on them having to sprint around pressing. Would prefer he didn't though lol.
    Played against it once. Destroyed it.

@Renamed123456 I've been stomping Div 1 with it the last few days, against 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-2-1-2(2) meta fiends spamming la croq's and el torando crosses, TOTY squads, etc, and even the rare golds that do which we do not speak of, it takes some getting used to and if you can't manually defend/tackle you'll get destroyed (I have never had delay in my 8 years of competitive online FIFA, manual defending is my strongest point, I would be a gold player if it wasn't for that I imagine as I waste way too many chances and don't do any glitchy skill moves or set piece exploits, I just play for fun, hence why I'm digging this new shape)
    I used 3142 at the beginning of the year, it's gets too claustrophobic in the middle. There's just WAYY too many people. And when you play against someone who presses the whole game, one person can defend two players and it limits your options.

@JayyThunder I felt that way early on. BUT. That's mainly because off goal kicks your wingers and CM's get way too close, almost replicating that visual glitch on the pause/player ratings screen. If it's your goal kick, R1/RT it to call your closest CB back for the uninterceptable short pass, when you're calling him back the rest of your team reverts to normal shape. I think I'm on 5 width offensively and defensively, can't remember, I also have my 2 ST's on stay central + stay forward + get in behind, this stops them taking up the wingers space and gives your midfield 4 space to work with, my 2 wide players are on completely balanced, CM's on balanced apart from defensive cover to stay central, dm is stay back while attacking and also stay central. Stay central lets your wide CB's do the job of a FB if the winger/cm on that side is caught too far up, let's the DM cover the middle/top of box or replace the CB, and just gives a better all around shape imo.
    Lkane wrote: »
    I find 3421 better. Glad other people are mixing up formations though instead of the usual 4231 or 41212(2).

@Lkane I'm tempted to try others, but, I don't want to put one of Crespo or Rashford wide, the only other option with 2 strikers is 5-2-1-2 which is just playing a more defensive 4-1-2-1-2(2) lol, or maybe the 3-5-2, but I don't think I'd like having 2 DM's and a CAM, unless I went and spent a LOT on an investment CAM, as I find a cheap box to box works great, eg Naing, Kondogbia, Alli, etc, where as a cheap CAM is nowhere near as effective.
  • greif44
    2112 posts Fans' Favourite
    352 is the best from all 3 atb.

3412 is similar, but weaker defensively.
    343 and 3421 are useless if your opponent plays ptb + no CAM = less options to build up. Might work for players who cross a lot though
    3142 seems really weird to me, tried it for couple games and found it extremely disappointing
  • sonnyfilth
    greif44 wrote: »

343 and 3421 are useless if your opponent plays ptb + no CAM = less options to build up. Might work for players who cross a lot though
    3142 seems really weird to me, tried it for couple games and found it extremely disappointing

@greif44

What main differences did you find between the 3-1-4-2 and 3-5-2?

I don't really want to tank my skill rating down since I'm at an all time high pretty sure (never gone on a 8+ game win streak in Div 1 lol)

I didn't like the 4-2-3-1 because of how 2 DM's work, 3 mid formations have been my bread and butter, I'm guessing the 2 wide mids make up for it as they'd offer a lot more support than the 2 wide CAM's in a 4-2-3-1 and you still have the triangle of death with the 3-5-2

• greif44
    sonnyfilth wrote: »

@greif44

I don't really want to tank my skill rating down since I'm at an all time high pretty sure (never gone on a 8+ game win streak in Div 1 lol)

I didn't like the 4-2-3-1 because of how 2 DM's work, 3 mid formations have been my bread and butter, I'm guessing the 2 wide mids make up for it as they'd offer a lot more support than the 2 wide CAM's in a 4-2-3-1 and you still have the triangle of death with the 3-5-2

@sonnyfilth main difference is lack of CAM; maybe you can deal with it somehow using CMs with H/M or H/L that go forward and can support the attack. I just like how players in 352 are distributed over the pitch, there are so many attacking options. When I play formations without CAM, there`s always a gap between my midfield and attack, I can`t get along with it.
  • Renamed123456
    See I kinda like the look / idea of 3142, as well as 352 and 3421.

But like you said, enviable connection.

The way my team plays when I have good connection I'm sure I'd be pro.

But the games are once in a blue moon.
  • greif44
    See I kinda like the look / idea of 3142, as well as 352 and 3421.

But like you said, enviable connection.

The way my team plays when I have good connection I'm sure I'd be pro.

But the games are once in a blue moon.

yes, playing any 3 atb with a delay/lag is a disaster. Right player positioning is essential in 3 atb and it`s first thing that gets impacted by poor connection.
  • sonnyfilth

@greif44

@sonnyfilth main difference is lack of CAM; maybe you can deal with it somehow using CMs with H/M or H/L that go forward and can support the attack. I just like how players in 352 are distributed over the pitch, there are so many attacking options. When I play formations without CAM, there`s always a gap between my midfield and attack, I can`t get along with it.

@greif44 How do you find the rest of the team positions?

Cause I'm in love with the positioning of the strikers/wingers/cb's, I could maybe work with a 2 DM 3 CAM setup as opposed to a 1 DM 1 CM, but if it changed anything else I'd hate it.
  • Gaz7Mac
    278 posts Sunday League Hero
    im not the greatest player but got to 17 wins with it last week when i normally battle to g3
  • sonnyfilth
    Gaz7Mac wrote: »
    im not the greatest player but got to 17 wins with it last week when i normally battle to g3

@Gaz7Mac

You use any interesting settings for CT/PI's? The ones I've used I just plopped on from game 1, haven't altered since, works ok, afraid to tinker in case it gets worse or I think it gets worse lol.

Also you using same footed wingers or inverted? I've got Dembele left (5*) and Sterling right, I find the crosses and just the ability to widen the play helps a lot, I have the triangle of doom for through balls/etc so I'm afraid of playing 2 inverteds, I feel like I'll turn over possession more, same footed is safe.
  • JayyThunder
    3985 posts National Call-Up
    @sonnyfilth I run 3412 now and it just flows better. But I’m also wayyy more acclimated to 3412 than 3142.
  • Renamed123456
    352 is insane btw if you like 3atb

It's like the benefits of 4231 and 41212 combined, in a 3atb system.
  • greif44

@greif44

@greif44 How do you find the rest of the team positions?

Cause I'm in love with the positioning of the strikers/wingers/cb's, I could maybe work with a 2 DM 3 CAM setup as opposed to a 1 DM 1 CM, but if it changed anything else I'd hate it.

@sonnyfilth if you`re asking about 3142, I haven`t tried it a lot, I just like 352 as to me it is most balanced 3 atb formation. I created 3 atb thread where I explained in the first post why I prefer 352 over any other 3 atb.
    I see that you use attacking wingers, maybe that compensates lack of CAM and here another guy at CDM comes very useful when you defend.
    352 is insane btw if you like 3atb

It's like the benefits of 4231 and 41212 combined, in a 3atb system.

True
  • Moe_86
    511 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Have played 10 or 11 Div 1 games since changing can't remember exactly.

Lost 1, drew 1, both in the first 3 since changing to it, won all the others.

This formation is just blowing my mind.

If you can't manually defend at times you will struggle.

The in game player ratings/pre match formation screens show it as some weird like, demented christmas tree with everyone out of position, in game it plays like how it actually shows in the squad formation page, although on goal kicks you need to hold RT to bring your CB close to play it short as players are out of position for the goal kicks for some reason, other than that they're perfect.

Anyone else been using it? Wish I'd changed earlier, something so satisfying about playing with 3 CB's.

Tempted to try the 3-5-2 but I much prefer the fluidity of the 2 box to boxes in front of a DM as opposed to 2 DM's and a CAM
    How you manually defend?