Is it me or has football changed dramatically?

Boomba
833 posts Semi-Pro
I've been watching some old champions league games and some of the players and teams I've watched just perform amazing, nothing I've seen recently. Rarely any mistakes. No VAR so any tackles that look rash but aren't, don't get looked at and slow down games?

Is it because I appreciate more of the older players than the current generation? Has social media influenced this change? As in one mistake = hundreds of thousands of critics?

I'm interested in what people think.

Comments

• Kellnerr
    2479 posts Fans' Favourite
    It surely has changed. Social media definitely is a reason for that. You have players looking for attention there and posting the weirdest **** and generating hype. Then there are various sites or profiles that post semi-true stuff or even lies about players, clubs or show only pics/videos of bad situations - propaganda at its finest actually :joy:

Then there's a lot of new tactics that changed the game - parking the bus is seen quite often now and it has made the game worse, at least for the fans.

Players try more and more things to get an advantage. Obviously it has always been in the game but diving and simulating has become more popular amongst the players (hopefully VAR will stop this now in the coming years). Also things like Ramos did recently with picking up that intentional yellow card (although Real did this a couple of years ago too where 2 players picked up a yellow in the dying stages of a game because of time wasting, remember it because Xabi was one of them :joy: ). Players have become absolute divas, they forgot that they play for their clubs and fans.

Obviously much bigger financial possibilities changed the game too, like investors, oil money, etc but you can't really do much about this, probably even had to come at some point.
    Hasn't changed much about the game itself but nowadays almost everything is pay-tv, and on different providers, really difficult for us fans to follow everything we want so see.

Sucks.
  • Apollo
    14213 posts Has That Special Something
    Obviously there are some exceptions, but I think in general the standard of defending has massively dropped off in recent years
  • Tornado31619
    16432 posts World Class
    Apollo wrote: »
    Obviously there are some exceptions, but I think in general the standard of defending has massively dropped off in recent years

Because there’s a greater emphasis on attacking. The likes of Marcelo and Cancelo are regarded as amongst the best in their position for abandoning post and playing on the wing. Even CBs and GKs are being made to start attacks now.
  • cmm_1991
    2101 posts Fans' Favourite

Because there’s a greater emphasis on attacking. The likes of Marcelo and Cancelo are regarded as amongst the best in their position for abandoning post and playing on the wing. Even CBs and GKs are being made to start attacks now.

Cancelo one of the best?
  • Kellnerr
    2479 posts Fans' Favourite

I've actually read a couple of articles in recent years about having the best full backs will win you tournaments (not leagues). It's probably even one of the most important positions for top teams since they can add so many possibilities to attack, and on the other hand need to defend against all those top wingers so many teams seem to have. There are just a few world class full backs out there though - most of great attacking full backs suck at defending, like Kimmich, Marcelo or even Alonso. Of course they most likely will contribute to more goals than giving them away, but it just needs one error and you're out of the cup.
  • Tornado31619
    16432 posts World Class
    cmm_1991 wrote: »

Cancelo one of the best?

He and Kimmich seem to be the best attacking RBs, from what I’ve seen and read.