The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & on PC and includes the changes listed here.

How on earth do people succeed in squad battles?!

Pila4life
311 posts Sunday League Hero
edited March 2019
I am a D3 player normally Gold 1 in WL.. last year I played a lot of squad battles on legendary and was able to win handily.. I forgot to redeem my WL token so I figure I would give SB a go...now I am only a 50 percent success rate. There is literally NO way to create space and property break down the AI... my only goals are on rare breakaways. Not only can you not create space but the CPU AI muggs you knocking you to the ground over and over again with no fouls... but if you touch their players it’s an immediate foul. This game mode is more unenjoyabel than DR...
Post edited by Pila4life on

Comments

• Gnomenclature
    4895 posts Big Money Move
    Pila4life wrote: »
    I am a D3 player normally Gold 1 in WL.. last year I played a lot of squad battles on legendary and was able to win handily.. I forgot to redeem my WL token so I figure I would give SB a go...now I am only a 50 percent success rate. There is literally NO way to create space and property break down the AI... my only goals are on rare breakaways. Not only can you not create space but the CPU AI muggs you knocking you to the ground over and over again with no fouls... but if you touch their players it’s an immediate foul. This game mode is more unenjoyabel than DR...

It's broken... just played a 90 squad on beginner and won 1-0... I got 9 shots off the whole game with pm Socrates, fb ibra, prime best, and prime butra in attack.

I can win 5-0 no problem on ultimate in seasons. Each game feels like you're playing in sand.
  • Guvnor
    1596 posts Play-Off Hero
    Legendary is much harder this year, if the teams 82 or lower put it on legendary if it’s higher world class is the way to go, you shouldn’t lose then.
  • Pila4life
    I guess that makes me feel better
  • Grezzerk
    1173 posts Professional
    There is no way you only won 1-0 on beginner if you can win 5-0 on ultimate playing seasons. That’s just a blatant lie. I play squad battles Monday to Friday and I’m normally around the elite 1 mark Friday but sometimes have to ply a few extra on Saturday just to make sure i stay at elite. Got top 100 once and I didn’t even get an 83 in the packs so never bothered getting top 100 again. The key to winning is being patient. Pass and pass and pass until there’s an opening and don’t try rush things. If your in a match where you find yourself missing 4 or 5 simple chances then you have to play simple passes and not take any risks. try to get in down the wings, dribble into box and pass it across so your shooting into an open net. That’s the only way I manage to win them matches that are truly against me. Not every game is like that but trust me you will know when it truly is against you and that’s when you get frustrated and start rushing things without noticing. Sterling POTM as a sub in 60th minute is unreal in squad battles. pass to fullback, driven through pass down wing to him, cut inside pass to aubameyang tap it into net. Guys like a bullet down the wing.
  • BombSquadPuppy
    2075 posts Fans' Favourite
    Its all about play styles, if you try looking for break aways, park the bus, rush into constant pressure and team press, itll be a nightmare cause the AI rarely ever makes a mistake on world class and above
    Play it easy, keep a high line, dont rush into their box and definitely dont hold the ball for too long. Their AI is usually giving you access to their goal from time to time, you just gotta be on the look out for it
  • Pila4life
    I have a 2 minute clip of me passing the ball around in front of their box trying to create and opportunity... the AI literally cleared the ball every single time I either tried to pass inside the box or make some sort of move to make space.. nothing doing. I will try to sprint down the sideline and cut across but it usually ends up in them clearing the ball.. their ability to intercept is unreal.
  • Grezzerk
    1173 posts Professional
    If you can’t get into the box no matter what you do then just go for finesse from outside box. I have nedved, futmas de bryune, sbc Hamsik and Ballack as my midfield 4 so any of them capable of scoring from distance (although sbc Hamsik is terrible for me for some reason) most of the time it will be blocked but hopefully you’ll get a corner. I score every second corner I get on squad battles with POTM van dijk, David Luiz and prime Ballack. As I said it’s all about patience though, sometimes you’ll break then down easily then other times it will seem impossible. One thing that really pisses me off is the points you get for winning on ultimate. Ultimate is the pinnacle of frustration. I won 5-1 and only got 2750 points. That was a really hard win aswell as you can’t make any mistakes pretty much. Had I won on legendary 5-0 (which I comfortably would of done as team was terrible) I’d of got about 2650/2700.. it’s so much harder to even win on ultimate yet if you scrape a win on ultimate 3-1 and a win on legendary 5-0 your going to end up with more points for the legendary game. Really need to change that for next year I think.
  • Pila4life
    How can you win on ultimate... my players to include Toty Varane, van dijt and Marcelo can’t even react to the AIs ridiculous passes..
  • L1vingl1fe
    3964 posts National Call-Up
    Squad battles is easy. Like most people I make elite 1 without playing the weekend games
  • golazo
    1468 posts Fans' Favourite
    Don’t rush nothing. Take your time. Let the Ai offense attack and jus cover lanes. No need to put much pressure. They will eventually lose the ball easily. When attacking take your time. No need for counters. It may take time to break them down. Though after the 60th minute the Ai plays more offensively and leaves gaps behind if ties or losing. That’s when you get your shots. Most important rule...take your time.
  • Bags
    905 posts Semi-Pro

It's broken... just played a 90 squad on beginner and won 1-0... I got 9 shots off the whole game with pm Socrates, fb ibra, prime best, and prime butra in attack.

I can win 5-0 no problem on ultimate in seasons. Each game feels like you're playing in sand.

dont be silly. they dont even tackle you in beginner. Sometimes I play on beginner just to get my fitness up while i am working. I score 5 goals with the first 5 shots I have and then put the controller down. Usually do it within 15 in game minutes.

Just run straight down the middle, well into the area and finesse past the keeper
  • Batman442
    4049 posts National Call-Up
    If you don't play Squad battles much you will find it hard, if you play it every week it's easy enough
  • Pieman25
    17086 posts World Class
    edited March 2019
    Batman442 wrote: »
    If you don't play Squad battles much you will find it hard, if you play it every week it's easy enough

Yeah great shout, I got the Weah card last night using just Pulisic but this mode does need a different way of thinking on how to move defenders out of position compared to online. The ai in SB is happy for you to turn back and it takes a bit of adjusting to work out when that's a good thing to do.
  • Al_HFX
    338 posts Sunday League Hero
    Play only world class diff. and aim for Elite 1. 4 games every day, a few now and then in the weekend, against the low rated squads, easy 30k + 2packs
  • Boomba
    837 posts Semi-Pro

LOL

quit playing if you can't win by 30 goals on beginner
  • Mido
    656 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I think as a poster said a few posts above, if you play it daily it does become easier. When I started playing again off the back of playing rivals it took me a couple of days to adjust again. A couple of tips that helped me.

41212 narrow. Pack the middle of the park and have your fullbacks bomb on (They are the key) Often they will have plenty of space. Futmas J.Lukaku has about 8 goals and 6 assists in around 14 games from LB.

Don’t play defensively. Let you players attack, don’t put instructions on any of them to stay back. the AI will very rarely counter you quickly like someone will in DR/WL.
  • WarrenBarton
    9739 posts League Winner
    I forgot to enter the WL too 😢

Played a few squad battle on legendary yesterday, 2 were easy one was hard but I won.

Then I played that featured team on pro and lost 1-0 lol. Still got half decent points for it though.

I do normally play about 5 or 6 a week to get G1 though. I can play them while my dinners cooking and pause it every so often.
  • SomeGuy17
    260 posts Sunday League Hero
    They start by spelling 'succeed' correctly 😂

In all seriousness, either they have the patience of a saint or they're really good at exploiting the game mechanics
  • Pila4life
    This is how every game goes.
    https://ibb.co/LvPNdd0

My only goals were a corner header with Ibra and a very lucky tap in. They scored two bangers from 30 yards out after a plethora of unstoppable one touch passes. Patience does not work as the AI just runs you over... I was knocked off the ball no less than 15 times.. I stopped counting after that. But as you can see not a single foul called on AI.. that’s the part that is most frustrating.. on top of all the ridiculousness.. they never call any fouls on the AI.
  • DFC1983
    1043 posts Professional
    I love how Dynamic Difficulty is clear as day on this. I dominate one team in one half, second half they suddenly start playing like football's version of the harlem globetrotters.
  • Pieman25
    17086 posts World Class
    DFC1983 wrote: »
    I love how Dynamic Difficulty is clear as day on this. I dominate one team in one half, second half they suddenly start playing like football's version of the harlem globetrotters.

Don't have that issue, go look at the top 100 and it appears they don't either. Sometimes it's better to just take responsibly for performances and improve.
  • DFC1983
    1043 posts Professional
    Pieman25 wrote: »

Don't have that issue, go look at the top 100 and it appears they don't either. Sometimes it's better to just take responsibly for performances and improve.

I'm not taking issue with results. I'm comfortably winning games. I just notice how 1 half the stats read 20-2 on shots, second half it's about 4-7. When your opponent on squad battles has trouble stringing passes together but second half starts pinging them with ease, scoring first time finesses when facing the other way...
  • Pieman25
    17086 posts World Class

I'm not taking issue with results. I'm comfortably winning games. I just notice how 1 half the stats read 20-2 on shots, second half it's about 4-7. When your opponent on squad battles has trouble stringing passes together but second half starts pinging them with ease, scoring first time finesses when facing the other way...

Sorry bud not having that issue either, I stay consistent against ai and stop at 50k points. Maybe the issue is the opposition goes more attacking 2nd half if you're playing legendary.
  • 3MenandaBebe
    3015 posts National Call-Up
    There is evidence of change based on the number of goals you score.

I play SB on beginner to get some fitness back when I'm doing other stuff because, they don't tackle you. When I put my controller down:

If you are 1-0 up, they do nothing.

If you are 3-0 up, they tackle your players and make (bad) attempts to shoot.

Try it for yourselves, the evidence of difference in AI play is there for everyone to see.
  • Pila4life

And why is this? When I watch people like nepenthez and some other you tubers playing squad battles on legendary the AI does not seem nearly as OP as when I play. Could this be something to do with servers? There players make fantastic runs and the AI defense does not seem to intercept their passes whatsoever. My players don’t make any decent runs and cannot create any space.. when I finally do get a shot off it is immediately blocked by an AI defender who closes down from several yards away.. when a shot does make it through it either goes strait to the GK, hits the post, or goes wide/over the bar. It’s laughable. I assure you that I am a decent player. And on top of the BS, why is there NEVER any fouls called on the AI? How is that fair play?
  • Pieman25
    17086 posts World Class

And why is this? When I watch people like nepenthez and some other you tubers playing squad battles on legendary the AI does not seem nearly as OP as when I play. Could this be something to do with servers? There players make fantastic runs and the AI defense does not seem to intercept their passes whatsoever. My players don’t make any decent runs and cannot create any space.. when I finally do get a shot off it is immediately blocked by an AI defender who closes down from several yards away.. when a shot does make it through it either goes strait to the GK, hits the post, or goes wide/over the bar. It’s laughable. I assure you that I am a decent player. And on top of the BS, why is there NEVER any fouls called on the AI? How is that fair play?

Maybe they're just better than you, if I'm better than you I'm guessing I'll make the ai look worse than you. Not trying to have a go here, just being realistic as everyone has their level.
  • FCBlunt
    3111 posts National Call-Up
    Patience.

It’s what sets most players apart.
  • Pooter
    3953 posts National Call-Up

What the deuce?
  • Pila4life

Maybe they're just better than you, if I'm better than you I'm guessing I'll make the ai look worse than you. Not trying to have a go here, just being realistic as everyone has their level.

I completely understand that but I am not rubbish. My skill rating is over 2100 in Rivals. As you can see I usually hold the AI to 5 shots or less. I try to play patiently but the just run through my players even Ibra when shielding and knock him over. If they would at least call fouls on the AI it would lessen the blow.
  • PiotrLolo
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    SB is "fun". You can win 5-0 on Legendary against 85 rated team only to lose the next game to 72-rated silver team with them making 2 shots in whole game.

If I have to face whole Icon/special cards squad I choose professional. High rated team still can play inhuman tiki-taka on this level against you.