Talking Points #5 - Changing The Rules of Football

Alastair
10066 posts Moderator
edited March 29
KAuNN7q.png

Welcome to this weeks edition of Talking Points. After last week's discussion about the future of the League Cup, this week we discuss the rules of the game.

This week has seen the IFAB announce the changes to the laws of the game for 2019/20 announced. This gives us the theme of this week's debate; if you could change one rule, what would you change and why?

If you wish to discuss the recently announced changes to the rules you can also debate them in this thread.

Do you think offsides should be scrapped? Maybe you think there should be less subs? Or maybe you think players should be sent off for arguing with the referee. Whatever you think, debate your views on which rules need changing below in this edition of Talking Points.

Previous Talking Points:
#1 Should FA Cup Replays Be Scrapped?
#2 To VAR or not to VAR?"
#3 When's The Right Time To Sack a Manager
#4 One Cup Too Many?
#5 Changing The Rules of Football

If you have an idea for a future Talking Points topic please send me a PM.
Post edited by Alastair on

Comments

• iHilarious
    13102 posts Has That Special Something
    Kick the scousers out
  • Renamed123456
    4677 posts Big Money Move
    Disagree with all those points.

Subs - if anything perhaps their should be more subs (but not too many, as that would completely change the tactics of the sport)

Offside - absolutely not. Would resort in a lot of weird play due to goalhanging etc

Sent off for ref arguing - sport is a really passionate thing. Your adrenaline is up, your energy and emotion is high, you're in an extremely competitive setting. I can appreciate yellow cards for players getting proper in an officials face. But players are going to express frustration at some calls under these circumstances especially when some are drastically wrong.
  • Renamed123456

HANDBALL RULE:

Whilst I like the idea of a simplified handball rule, the idea that "any time the ball hits the hand it's a foul" is rubbish. This will just result in players dinking the ball up at players hands to win penalties.

It'll turn into the biggest joke ever.
  • KB1iLU
    282 posts Sunday League Hero
    @Renamed123456 agreed with the theory that you have for this handball foul.. handball is not a good foul to be called on
  • KB1iLU
    agreed with @Renamed123456 with
    Subs - if anything perhaps their should be more subs (but not too many, as that would completely change the tactics of the sport)
  • KB1iLU
    and offsides should be kept for sure otherwise you'll have goaltending sitting there lurking for a ball to go into a net its just wrong
  • Alastair
    10066 posts Moderator
    HANDBALL RULE:

Whilst I like the idea of a simplified handball rule, the idea that "any time the ball hits the hand it's a foul" is rubbish. This will just result in players dinking the ball up at players hands to win penalties.

It won’t be done as much as you think. In hockey you get a free hit for hitting the ball against the defender’s foot. It is done but very rarely (maybe once a match max and only when you’ve got nothing else to do).

Kicking a ball against someone’s hand is much harder than hitting the ball against someone’s foot.
  • Renamed123456
    Alastair wrote: »
    HANDBALL RULE:

It won’t be done as much as you think. In hockey you get a free hit for hitting the ball against the defender’s foot. It is done but very rarely (maybe once a match max and only when you’ve got nothing else to do).

Kicking a ball against someone’s hand is much harder than hitting the ball against someone’s foot.

I don't think it's as hard as you may think. Defenders become fairly stationary when you're in the box, the ball is like 2-3 foot from their hand, all it takes is a little dink towards their hand.

This happens commonly enough accidentally, would happen far more often if instant pen and deliberate.
  • Alastair
    10066 posts Moderator
    Alastair wrote: »
    HANDBALL RULE:

I don't think it's as hard as you may think. Defenders become fairly stationary when you're in the box, the ball is like 2-3 foot from their hand, all it takes is a little dink towards their hand.

This happens commonly enough accidentally, would happen far more often if instant pen and deliberate.

Surely it’d be an indirect free kick rather than a penalty?
  • Clancy
    7756 posts League Winner
    Get rid of the away goals rule in two leg matches. Whether it benefits or hurts the team that I'm cheering for I think it's a terrible way to decide on a team going through

it shouldn't be possible to go from winning to losing a match on one goal. if you're winning and give up a goal the game should be tied and go to extra time and then penalties

I don't know the history of this, but I imagine it was implemented to prevent too many games going to extra time and fatiguing players. As a fix, give teams another sub or two when the game goes to extra time

Even playing "golden goal" once the game goes to extra time seems like a better way than away goals.

hate it! (and no I'm not a PSG fan lol)
  • ScruffyDogBurger
    3304 posts National Call-Up
    DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.
  • Ahmer50x
    18308 posts World Class
    Personally don’t like the idea of a match day squad. Keep it to 3 subs in the match, but let managers choose from their entire squad
  • Bob_Dylan
    19409 posts World Class
    Clancy wrote: »
    Get rid of the away goals rule in two leg matches. Whether it benefits or hurts the team that I'm cheering for I think it's a terrible way to decide on a team going through

it shouldn't be possible to go from winning to losing a match on one goal. if you're winning and give up a goal the game should be tied and go to extra time and then penalties

I don't know the history of this, but I imagine it was implemented to prevent too many games going to extra time and fatiguing players. As a fix, give teams another sub or two when the game goes to extra time

Even playing "golden goal" once the game goes to extra time seems like a better way than away goals.

Away goal rule is to prevent teams from parking the bus in the away leg
  • krappen07
    5994 posts Big Money Move
    I would add a second ball onto the pitch.. goals galore :D
  • Clancy
    7756 posts League Winner
    Bob_Dylan wrote: »
    Clancy wrote: »

Away goal rule is to prevent teams from parking the bus in the away leg

this article has a detailed take on the issue
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45460290

they make a solid point, that now it's flipped the other way and teams are parking the bus at home because the away goal is so valuable. Also compared to the 60's when this rule was implemented, it's no longer as taxing to travel and pitches are in better condition

I'd like to see it done away with. I'd be fine with next goal wins in ET, or penalties after 180 minutes, or penalties if level after extra time