False Advertising “Prime” Definition

Rednip
88 posts Park Captain
prime1
/prʌɪm/Submit
adjective
1. of first importance; main.

2. of the best possible quality; excellent.

Whats this second line say again? THE BEST POSSIBLE QUALITY

Comments

• EekAlaska
    610 posts An Exciting Prospect
    It also says "excellent "
  • Absolutely shocking from ea. Never do sbcs.
  • Brunjes_FC
    39 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I’m pretty sure they use prime to discribe the player in their prime years, not necessarily the card being ‘prime’. They’ve explained these new cards as promoting ‘special moments’ for these players, I.e. winning a big tournament or breaking a record.

I’m not defending the new promotion or commenting on whether I’m for it or not, just pointing out people’s potential misunderstanding as to the interpretation of the word ‘prime’ in this context.
  • Rednip
    88 posts Park Captain
    edited February 12
    Brunjes_FC wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure they use prime to discribe the player in their prime years, not necessarily the card being ‘prime’. They’ve explained these new cards as promoting ‘special moments’ for these players, I.e. winning a big tournament or breaking a record.

I’m not defending the new promotion or commenting on whether I’m for it or not, just pointing out people’s potential misunderstanding as to the interpretation of the word ‘prime’ in this context.

Any ambulance chaser could easily come with an argument of false advertising and tie it to FIFA points and trying to achieve what they thought was the best version of that player, real money spent and perceived loses, bar none.....there is no defense with EA on this one.
  • Alex_cr
    3199 posts National Call-Up
    Rednip wrote: »

Any ambulance chaser could easily come with an argument of false advertising and tie it to FIFA points and trying to achieve what they thought was the best version of that player, real money spent and perceived loses, bar none.....there is no defense with EA on this one.

Just no. There’s a clear explanation as to why they are called prime. You can’t just argue that’s not what they really meant. Well, you can but you’ll lose badly and spend a few quid in the process.

• Rednip
    88 posts Park Captain
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    Rednip wrote: »

Just no. There’s a clear explanation as to why they are called prime. You can’t just argue that’s not what they really meant. Well, you can but you’ll lose badly and spend a few quid in the process.

EA can choose to call “Prime” whatever they want but it flies in the face of the standard world definition hence the issue with telling people they have a “Prime” when now they don’t.

Maybe under common law in the Uk it may be different but I definitely see a case in the US. All documentation going back for years with EA is Primes are the best. People have conditioned themselves to this and would have a winnable case. This promo is absolute crap.
  • Rednip
    88 posts Park Captain
    The US court system is littered with decisions of companies selling you one thing (saying its this) and you not getting that and those companies losing to a class action lawsuit.
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    11634 posts Has That Special Something
    The way I look at it is this, the "Prime" version is of when the player was at the peak of their powers, when they were considered as one of the greats among the footballing world......

So honestly...the new cards are just another pack selling gimmick that essentially make the primes worthless....what shocks me most about everything is that you have people waiting MONTHS for specific icons to drop....only for EA to pretty much re-release the same ones that have been brought out in this game cycle....making people wait even longer for really....no reason whatsoever

No wonder people are peed off by this, EA are laughing at us with this nonsense....they're trying to buy time, but I can't for the life of me understand what for? I sincerely hope the community is sooo hacked off by all this that hardly any promo packs sell.. because that's what needs to happen. That would be the clearest indication that the community is ready to tell EA to go stuff themselves... just like the battlefront mob did. At this moment I admire those people who did that, I hope we can all follow their lead
  • Eroberto
    1081 posts Professional
    They icons sbc’s say “build towards earning the prime version of George best”. It doesn’t say build towards earning George best in his prime years. It specifically states prime version and we no longer have the prime version
  • Rednip
    88 posts Park Captain
    edited February 12
    They been saying for years that PRIME is when they were at their best
  • xGeorgeSmithx
    5183 posts Big Money Move
    Eroberto wrote: »
    They icons sbc’s say “build towards earning the prime version of George best”. It doesn’t say build towards earning George best in his prime years. It specifically states prime version and we no longer have the prime version

The word ‘Prime’ means best, therefore you are working towards the best versions of a card. This is no longer the case for people who have done SBC’s of players who get these cards.

I didn’t realise a retired or passed away footballer can somehow be better than in their prime years as a footballer.
  • ZiggieTTU
    495 posts An Exciting Prospect
    So now we have a Best Best Best?
  • o0OainavO0o
    1684 posts Play-Off Hero
    My thing is most players can’t afford the lower rated icons nonetheless prime icons and the icons really cater to those that are putting a decent amount of money into the game in order to obtain them, they upgrade them again hence getting the spenders to spend more... I don’t partake but it’s pretty obvious what this is catering to.
  • Brunjes_FC
    It’s a bit crap, especially considering no SBC for some popular icons have appeared yet, but people saying their prime card is now worthless are just being dramatic. My prime George Best is not all of a sudden going to stop scoring absolute bangers. I’d still have completed the George Best SBC for 1.5mil over buying this new version for probably 3mil+ on the transfer market.
  • Brunjes_FC
    edited February 12
    No case will stand either, as no one here has actually purchased a prime icon. People who have purchased fifa points have purchased an online currency, which can be used to open packs or enter in competitions (draft). While your own individual reason for doing so is to work towards icons, you haven’t actually purchased an icon.

If you could directly buy icons for real world money, and they were advertised as being the best card that is, and will be available, then you would have a legit case.
  • Forca-Barca
    2890 posts National Call-Up
    People complain about everything
  • madwullie
    2468 posts Fans' Favourite
    Surely this is going to lower the cost of current prime icons. In fact, lower the cost of all icons, making some of the best players in the game more achievable for more users?

Yeah I would be pissed if I'd completed, for eg, the best sbc, but then I'd still have my best and it would still be far cheaper than buying the same card from the market.
  • madwullie
    2468 posts Fans' Favourite
    Btw yes you would definitely win this case and EA in no way have already considered this and certainly didn't consider looking up the dictionary to check what the word prime means. 🤔