And so it begins in Ireland

Comments

• RandomLhama83
    10088 posts Has That Special Something
    People are so certain EA is doomed. What you want to happen and what is likely to happen are entirely different. Fifa points will be in Fifa 20 kids. The ship won’t sink that easy. Those saying things are “100% about to change” are very naive. And yes, I want change. But slow your roll. They will work things in their favor. They are probably figuring out a new method to do it as we speak

exactly... FUT could be a disaster if CR7s were sold at 100$ a pop.... every team having a cr7, and full icon teams everywhere. It could be more p2w than now because since ppl know wat they would be gettin they may be willing to spend even more so.... I hate EA for other reasons but i think changing the format could ruin UT.

Yep. Personally I don’t think they will sell players like that though. I think there will be even more descriptions on packs and all promo packs will be available at higher cost. I could see a guaranteed TOTW pack where you know you get one TOTW but the player is random for like $20

Or an ICON pack where you are guaranteed a random icon for $200

That keeps the randomness of packs and the addictive nature of them but allows enough transparency that you can’t accuse them of gambling tactics

if it legislated against you can forget about packs bro, look at belgium as an example. they did it and ea had to remove the selling of FP in there region and comply with it. So juss sayin if the EU were to do wat belgium did, packs would be gone and the work around is what i said... CR7s would be straight up sold for a lump sum... and that would pretty much be the exact same way for every other high end player. Disaster if it happens imo. as they say, careful wat ya wish for.
  • VladimirSochi
    466 posts Sunday League Hero
    People are so certain EA is doomed. What you want to happen and what is likely to happen are entirely different. Fifa points will be in Fifa 20 kids. The ship won’t sink that easy. Those saying things are “100% about to change” are very naive. And yes, I want change. But slow your roll. They will work things in their favor. They are probably figuring out a new method to do it as we speak

exactly... FUT could be a disaster if CR7s were sold at 100$ a pop.... every team having a cr7, and full icon teams everywhere. It could be more p2w than now because since ppl know wat they would be gettin they may be willing to spend even more so.... I hate EA for other reasons but i think changing the format could ruin UT.

Yep. Personally I don’t think they will sell players like that though. I think there will be even more descriptions on packs and all promo packs will be available at higher cost. I could see a guaranteed TOTW pack where you know you get one TOTW but the player is random for like $20

That keeps the randomness of packs and the addictive nature of them but allows enough transparency that you can’t accuse them of gambling tactics

if it legislated against you can forget about packs bro, look at belgium as an example. they did it and ea had to remove the selling of FP in there region and comply with it. So juss sayin if the EU were to do wat belgium did, packs would be gone and the work around is what i said... CR7s would be straight up sold for a lump sum... and that would pretty much be the exact same way for every other high end player. Disaster if it happens imo. as they say, careful wat ya wish for.

True which would probably make the game even worse. Or they just revert to selling coins and make earning them via matches much more difficult.
  • madwullie
    2836 posts Fans' Favourite

Yep. Personally I don’t think they will sell players like that though. I think there will be even more descriptions on packs and all promo packs will be available at higher cost. I could see a guaranteed TOTW pack where you know you get on but the player is random for like $20

Pretty sure this would all still constitute gambling.

FPs was their way of getting round gambling because as they were only spend able in game, they didn't have a real world value as such. Once they start selling coins (if they were to do this) then that would fall foul of those laws. As far as I understand, the Belgian courts have decided that despite it not being legally possible to buy coins, the fact that they can be bought "illegally" means they do have a real world value and therefore FPs do after all fall under gambling laws. FPs were exploiting a loophole.

Aside from completely changing the way fut works (subscription model for example) the only way around this is for them to accept it is gambling and make their games appropriately rated. Whether they calculate that would be worth it or not I don't know. But I'm sure a bunch of people cleverer and more knowledgeable than me are currently weighing up the pros and cons of various approaches.

However, it seems to me there's really only one or two paths they can take:

1. FUT becomes more expensive for the average user, say through a subscription model or just a higher up front cost (they will have to replace the lost revenue somehow)
    2. FUT becomes pure p2w whereby they sell players directly for real world money and that chance the average user had (however small) of pulling a huge player and being able to build a super team) is gone.
    3. FUT becomes an 18 and they embrace the gambling aspect thus making it more expensive for.the average user.
    4. FUT as a game mode is considered not worth it and is binned.

One things for sure, we're not going to emerge from all of this into some kind of fifa utopia with a much better quality game that costs the average user far less, no matter how much we'd all like that. And no, this isn't going to "destroy EA" either.
  • VladimirSochi
    edited February 12
    madwullie wrote: »

Yep. Personally I don’t think they will sell players like that though. I think there will be even more descriptions on packs and all promo packs will be available at higher cost. I could see a guaranteed TOTW pack where you know you get on but the player is random for like $20

Pretty sure this would all still constitute gambling.

FPs was their way of getting round gambling because as they were only spend able in game, they didn't have a real world value as such. Once they start selling coins (if they were to do this) then that would fall foul of those laws. As far as I understand, the Belgian courts have decided that despite it not being legally possible to buy coins, the fact that they can be bought "illegally" means they do have a real world value and therefore FPs do after all fall under gambling laws. FPs were exploiting a loophole.

Aside from completely changing the way fut works (subscription model for example) the only way around this is for them to accept it is gambling and make their games appropriately rated. Whether they calculate that would be worth it or not I don't know. But I'm sure a bunch of people cleverer and more knowledgeable than me are currently weighing up the pros and cons of various approaches.

However, it seems to me there's really only one or two paths they can take:

1. FUT becomes more expensive for the average user, say through a subscription model or just a higher up front cost (they will have to replace the lost revenue somehow)
    2. FUT becomes pure p2w whereby they sell players directly for real world money and that chance the average user had (however small) of pulling a huge player and being able to build a super team) is gone.
    3. FUT becomes an 18 and they embrace the gambling aspect thus making it more expensive for.the average user.
    4. FUT as a game mode is considered not worth it and is binned.

One things for sure, we're not going to emerge from all of this into some kind of fifa utopia with a much better quality game that costs the average user far less, no matter how much we'd all like that. And no, this isn't going to "destroy EA" either.

Good points. I know they won’t do this, but I suppose they could take a page out of the Skylanders/Disney Infinity book and sell real life packs of cards with one time redeemable digital codes to enter online as a work around as well
  • NYCDYNAMIX
    121 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    @EA_Andy I've been praying every night for this company and their greediness to come to an end! It's happening! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Now we can all see the reason why they are doing endless promos every weekend hahahaha, trying to milk every last dollar before it's game over!
  • madwullie
    Always baffles me the amount of people on this forum who clearly love the concept of FUT and play it regularly who take great pleasure in "seeing EA fail" when the result of that would be the game they play, post about, talk about, spend money on, spend time on, would no longer exist.

Is there something I'm missing.
  • VladimirSochi
    Always baffles me the amount of people on this forum who clearly love the concept of FUT and play it regularly who take great pleasure in "seeing EA fail" when the result of that would be the game they play, post about, talk about, spend money on, spend time on, would no longer exist.

Love is a strange thing lol
  • Retro_G
    25576 posts Player of the Year

The concept can exist without predatory business practices.
  • sanjay17
    407 posts Sunday League Hero
    Kouli06 wrote: »
    Lovely little read.
    Hoping for a swift death to EAs greed!

You all will be crying when everyone can buy Ronaldo for $100 next year. You will probably be able to buy every player for $100, which will be great fun for people that don’t spend money because now the people that spent $1000 and had a good team will have the best team possible. I can’t wait to see that lol

Well thats the point of spending extra money. If you are spending, you should get better players. Simple as that.

PS : I will still not give an extra penny than what I pay to buy the game
  • RandomLhama83
    10088 posts Has That Special Something
    edited February 12
    Retro_G wrote: »

not rly.... because you dont know how much ea are paying out for these icons and fifa licenses.... its got to be a fortune... packs take care of all that and keeps the lights runnin....so if its not worth it for them, shareholders will pull out and goodbye FUT. Enjoy boring h2h modes...
  • madwullie
    edited February 12

The concept yes, the game as we know it? No. And what's the likelihood of a better quality realisation of this concept being provided at a much lesser cost for you and me? Not very likely, and certainly not by EA imo.
  • Retro_G
    edited February 12

The concept yes, the game as we know it? No. And what's the likelihood of a better quality realisation of this concept being provided at a much lesser cost for you and me? Not very likely, and certainly not by EA imo.

You're deluded if you don't think EA have something else lined up, yes it will be a lot cheaper to build an ultimate team, people just won't spend if they come up with extortionate prices.

They use psychological manipulation techniques to sell packs, a large portion of the community are addicted to opening packs. Remove the randomness of packs and gameplay will be the priority.
  • madwullie

You're deluded if you don't think EA have something else lined up, yes it will be a lot cheaper to build an ultimate team, people just won't spend if they come up with extortionate prices.

They use psychological manipulation techniques to sell packs, are a large portion of the community are addicted to opening packs. Remove the randomness of packs and gameplay will be the priority.

Of course they have something else lined up.

It will either be of similar quality whereby they find another way to get us to spend the money they're used to

Or

It will be cheaper and of much poorer quality moving towards them just ditching the idea completely.

They're not going to put the same money into it if they money coming out the other end is not comparable.

They have form for dropping franchises that aren't profitable.

They don't have form for altruistically making quality gaming experiences for the moral good feeling it gives them.
  • IamLeeroy
    337 posts Sunday League Hero

They use psychological manipulation techniques to sell packs, are a large portion of the community are addicted to opening packs. Remove the randomness of packs and gameplay will be the priority.

It will either be of similar quality whereby they find another way to get us to spend the money they're used to

Or

It will be cheaper and of much poorer quality moving towards them just ditching the idea completely.

They're not going to put the same money into it if they money coming out the other end is not comparable.

They don't have form for altruistically making quality gaming experiences for the moral good feeling it gives them.

Then ide rather they just drop it.
  • Retro_G
    edited February 12

Or

EA won't be able to get people to spend as much money as they do now on Fifa points. People are addicted to opening packs and they don't even realise they've a problem. EA will not find another monetization way to stimulate our dopamine receptors. EA are only putting a small fraction of what they earn back into the game.

People will support products of high quality. Look at their free to play game Apex Legends. It has a fair microtransaction system for a F2P game and people will buy cosmetics because the gameplay is excellent.

They could use a similar fair system with Fifa, don't kid yourself about them not supporting Fifa if the microtransactions dried up. They make more than enough money on game sales alone to support Fifa.
  • Rich2015
    90 posts Park Captain

exactly this

Its predatory and on the most vulnerable....Children..Make it 18 plus and keep the gambling or keep it the same age rating and take out the gambling,its as simple as that you can't have both and expect governments to just accept it

I struggle to understand how people accept these business practices and these people are the reason we have a pay for advantage game and the reason EA take it to the limit

Battlefront community...not having it

Fifa community.....Wheres the lube
  • Alex_cr
    3492 posts National Call-Up

Or

EA won't be able to get people to spend as much money as they do now on Fifa points. People are addicted to opening packs and they don't even realise they've a problem. EA will not find another monetization way to stimulate our dopamine receptors. EA are only putting a small fraction of what they earn back into the game.

People will support products of high quality. Look at their free to play game Apex Legends. It has a fair microtransaction system for a F2P game and people will buy cosmetics because the gameplay is excellent.

They could use a similar fair system with Fifa, don't kid yourself about them not supporting Fifa if the microtransactions dried up. They make more than enough money on game sales alone to support Fifa.

I just don’t understand how you can’t get it. Making more than enough money simply isn’t enough. They have a level of profit they expect and FP brings a whole lot of that in. They are not going to sit there and go that was fun while it lasted, but hey we’re still making some cash. It’s so much more complex than that.

They either find a way round it or they’ll massively cut costs. People on here want their cake and to eat it. Just so naive.
  • Rich2015
    90 posts Park Captain
    Alex_cr wrote: »

Or

I just don’t understand how you can’t get it. Making more than enough money simply isn’t enough. They have a level of profit they expect and FP brings a whole lot of that in. They are not going to sit there and go that was fun while it lasted, but hey we’re still making some cash. It’s so much more complex than that.

They either find a way round it or they’ll massively cut costs. People on here want their cake and to eat it. Just so naive.

Good let them cut costs then we can have other company's making football games and getting a share on the licensing instead of EA monopolising it and making a half baked broken game every year

• FCBlunt
    1570 posts Play-Off Hero

Or

Cutting costs will lead to the death of the franchise. I mean, dont act like people won’t ditch this game if they downgrade it.

They used to make FIFA games before FP, why wouldn’t they continue. It might actually mean the shareholders will clean the offices and force a change in direction.

Capcom’s Resident Evil 2 Remake should be a clear pointer as to how to please fans with a quality game. Especially considering Capcom’s Resi 6 and Umbrella Corp. Lol

Redemption is a possibility, dont rule it out.
  • TheFaries_77
    159 posts Has Potential To Be Special

On line draft could become a much bigger part of fifa.

You pay real money to enter and on line draft comp:
    win one match u get a pack with 1 x Guaranteed 84 rated player
    win two matches u get a pack with 1 x Guaranteed 86 rated player
    etc etc.

So there is still packs, you will still be able to trade, EA get to earn extra from the game, better players will have better teams. Cos if your sh7t at fifa your not gonna win more than two online draft games in a row. So it doesn't matter how much money you throw at it, you will still need to 'get gud'
  • lIlIlIlIlIl
    2235 posts Fans' Favourite

Or

Their whole FUT enterprise is built on a fraudulent structure laying dormant for a decade in a grey area of the law by wily chicanery, wordsmithing and a bunch of bribes in higher places. They've been getting away with essentially printing money for years and now the walls are closing down. Of course they'll try everything in their power to retain as much revenue they possibly can but whatever they peaked at was "dirty" money.
  • Oneillr
    435 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Governments will just tax them more and they will have to issue a gambling warning on the game ie "When the fun stops stop"
  • FCBlunt
    1570 posts Play-Off Hero
    Oneillr wrote: »
    Governments will just tax them more and they will have to issue a gambling warning on the game ie "When the fun stops stop"

18+ to buy/play the game too, its a massive hit to take to sales.
  • Gainzy
    793 posts Semi-Pro

It’s still gambling pal. For it not to be a gamble you have to specifically know what you are going to get.
  • Kingkay
    1727 posts Fans' Favourite
    Gainzy wrote: »

It’s still gambling pal. For it not to be a gamble you have to specifically know what you are going to get.

If that ever happens I’d quit, it’s pay to win now but that’s takes the ****

• Gainzy
    793 posts Semi-Pro
    Kingkay wrote: »
    Gainzy wrote: »

If that ever happens I’d quit, it’s pay to win now but that’s takes the ****

I’m quitting after this year anyway. I’d say going to work is more fun and less stressful than Fifa right now.
  • Alex_cr
    3492 posts National Call-Up
    my favourite thing about all these comments is the idea that all these governments are trying to do us all a favour when in fact they just see another opportunity to add raves to a product by declaring it gambling.

The same governments we all lament on a daily basis. Honestly, you couldn’t make it up!
  • RA22Y
    113 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I suspect that EA will make FUT a monthly subscription service and will give out more free packs.
  • ICE_UP_SON
    384 posts Sunday League Hero
    TBH it should be illegal especially to minors but banning fifa point sales will lead to a worse product. It will also take much longer for for them to create desperately needed new servers and content will fall off.
  • Futfanatic
    10551 posts Has That Special Something
    edited February 12

I love football.
    I love playing with my favorite club's items.
    I love playing with my childhood heroes like R9, Vieira.

I hate what they did with the gameplay.
    I hate how they are scraping in their money and not at least giving a good game back.

Conclusion: I play but I hate EA.

Example: When your favorite club is run badly you don't just go support another club. You let them know how you feel, make it difficult for them untill it changes.