Boosting Wifi Signal?

Orikoru
10712 posts Has That Special Something
edited June 2015
I pay for 40 meg fibre broadband, but unfortunately my PS4 is set up in the back room of the house, 30-40 feet away from the router, and through two walls in the process (if that makes any difference). I sat in there and did a speed test on my laptop last night, and it only clocked 5 mbps download speed, hence my Fifa games are all laggy and I believe this is costing me results a lot of the time.

What's the best/easiest inexpensive way to boost the signal in there? Is there a wifi signal booster I can get that works with the PS4? Or replace the router? Maybe it's best to simply walk into a branch of Curry's and ask what they recommend? Only problem there is it'll be trial and error, if they recommend some expensive piece of kit that does nothing I'll be annoyed.

Any advice for me?

UPDATE: Bought powerline adaptors, which worked a treat.
http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/comment/756325/#Comment_756325
Post edited by Orikoru on

Comments

• ha032742
    35024 posts Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Best way I reckon is to use a powerline. Connect one to your router, then plug the other one into a power socket in the room where your PS4 is and use an ethernet cable to connect it to the PS4. You can use a booster/WiFi bridge but some signal strength will be lost so could have reduced speed/intermittent drop outs.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/1133_8546_71560_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html
  • ha032742
    35024 posts Moderator
    BTW 5Mb download is probably sufficient to play FIFA if no one else is surfing etc...it's most likely your latency affecting this, which is often down to the settings your ISP is using. I had to ask Sky to change my fibre to a gaming profile to bring my ping down and that's helped.
  • Orikoru
    ha032742 wrote: »
    BTW 5Mb download is probably sufficient to play FIFA if no one else is surfing etc...it's most likely your latency affecting this, which is often down to the settings your ISP is using. I had to ask Sky to change my fibre to a gaming profile to bring my ping down and that's helped.

It may be sufficient to play, but I'm sure my lag will be reduced if I can get it higher in there. Basically every game lags to some degree. Often my missus will be streaming her god awful vampire programmes in the lounge at the same time though. So something to boost the signal in the back room, like what you suggested, should be helpful I think.
  • ha032742
    35024 posts Moderator
    Your latency is more important FYI but obviously if someone is streaming it will affect online gaming stability.
  • Orikoru
    Your latency is more important FYI but obviously if someone is streaming it will affect online gaming stability.

I'm not the brightest at setting up internet. I basically plug everything in and hope it works mate. I don't know anything about latency.
  • RadioShaq
    14886 posts Moderator
    What about if you drilled holes and went wired?
  • Orikoru
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    What about if you drilled holes and went wired?

It crossed my mind but that seems like loooads of effort. Wires would have to go from the very front of the house, all the way around the edge of the lounge, through the kitchen as well before it gets to the back room. I thought some kind of signal booster would be an easier solution.
  • RadioShaq
    14886 posts Moderator
    Do you have a basement or can you follow existing wires like your tv cables?
  • ha032742
    35024 posts Moderator
    Powerlines are best for you then...just need to make sure that your electrical points are all on the same circuit.
  • Orikoru

No basement, and we don't have any cables running through to the conservatory at the moment. It's just my TV and PS4 in there.

Powerlines are best for you then...just need to make sure that your electrical points are all on the same circuit.

Same circuit?? How would I know that?
  • Bale11UT
    1466 posts Play-Off Hero
    50 ft ethernet cable is the way to go...i got one from amazon and it works like a charm
  • Orikoru
    Bale11UT wrote: »
    50 ft ethernet cable is the way to go...i got one from amazon and it works like a charm

I know that would guarantee the connection somewhat, it would just be a pain, if you knew the layout of my house. It's something like this:

13yj5tf.png

So it would be a long old route to run the cable, including going through the kitchen so would probably have to go along the ceiling rather than along the skirting board.
  • MemphisDepay
    6020 posts Big Money Move
    Not sure if it works for you, but i use a repeater. It's like a second router, that you place closer to your PS4 and you go WIRED FROM THERE. So you wonr have to get a cable from 1 side to the other side.
  • Darfi02
    3413 posts National Call-Up
    move the PS4 to the lounge :trollface:
  • ha032742
    35024 posts Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Not sure if it works for you, but i use a repeater. It's like a second router, that you place closer to your PS4 and you go WIRED FROM THERE. So you wonr have to get a cable from 1 side to the other side.

That's basically a WiFi bridge, so there will be some speed loss between the 1st and 2nd router if that bothers you.
    Orikoru wrote: »

No basement, and we don't have any cables running through to the conservatory at the moment. It's just my TV and PS4 in there.

If your house is relatively new, it usually is. Best thing is to buy a set from Curry's/PC World and try...if it doesn't work, return them.
  • RadioShaq
    14886 posts Moderator
    You could always run it outside.
  • Orikoru
    Darfi02 wrote: »

Not really an option. When my missus is watching **** on the TV in there I need my escape. At my old flat that I shared with lads we had three TVs in the lounge, but I don't think that would be such a good look here.
  • Darfi02
    3413 posts National Call-Up

Not really an option. When my missus is watching **** on the TV in there I need my escape. At my old flat that I shared with lads we had three TVs in the lounge, but I don't think that would be such a good look here.
    move her to the conservatory
  • Orikoru

That's basically a WiFi bridge, so there will be some speed loss between the 1st and 2nd router if that bothers you.

If your house is relatively new, it usually is. Best thing is to buy a set from Curry's/PC World and try...if it doesn't work, return them.

Yeah, cheers, I will try that.
  • Orikoru

move her to the conservatory

lol.. good one.
  • ha032742
    35024 posts Moderator
    Just to warn you that with all of the above methods (powerlines, boosters etc.) you're not going to get 40Mb speeds but it should be better than the 5Mb you're getting currently.
  • WS-SCFC-1184
    1219 posts Professional
    I had this problem then got this powerline kit and bin awesome ever since n got results and into division 1 easy
    23kubtx.jpgcmbl5.jpg
  • John-R-Hampton
    995 posts Professional
    edited June 2015
    I had this problem then got this powerline kit and bin awesome ever since n got results and into division 1 easy
    23kubtx.jpgcmbl5.jpg
    yea that's what i am using atm. quite effective
  • MemphisDepay
    23kubtx.jpgcmbl5.jpg
    Same here, but i place that thing closer to the router (not really next to the PS4), and i use quite a long LAN Cable. Getting 45 mbps usually, eventhough my router is far, far away
  • Orikoru
    23kubtx.jpgcmbl5.jpg

That's excellent mate, exactly what I wanted to hear. :grin: I will get myself one of these powerline kits.

Just to warn you that with all of the above methods (powerlines, boosters etc.) you're not going to get 40Mb speeds but it should be better than the 5Mb you're getting currently.

Doesn't have to be the full 40 but I'll get a kit, test it out and see if I'm happy with the improvement.
  • DenyingTea07
    667 posts An Exciting Prospect
    i had the same problem, but my problem is a bit worse. in israel we have shelter rooms. one in each flat (mandatory for when missiles are being shot at your house XD) a shelter room is basically a normal room just built with reinforced steel in it to protect you if your house is being hit. the router is unfortunately in that room. so reception outside of the room is quite * . after trying multiple ways of making my connection better ive reached these solutions:
    1)like everybody said, powerline option. i dont like this one because i get like 20mbps from a 100mbps.
    2) coax - using your existing cable in your house (which the cabe company is using to connect T.V.s to their service. - the best option of the lot. just need two adapters. 1 for each side. and you practically get 1\1 ratio. amazing really.

3)repeater - a good option for casual surfing etc but not for gaming. too much potential risk in d\cing . happens way too often.

4)5000000 m ethernet cable - great option. not so great for aesthetics and comfort.

im using the 2nd option which by far is the best\reliable\fastest.

hope i helped you.

btw. if you dont have coax network in your house its pretty cheap to install it manually and it will give you an infrastructure for when you'd want to connect to a cable company.
  • Orikoru
    i had the same problem, but my problem is a bit worse. in israel we have shelter rooms. one in each flat (mandatory for when missiles are being shot at your house XD) a shelter room is basically a normal room just built with reinforced steel in it to protect you if your house is being hit. the router is unfortunately in that room. so reception outside of the room is quite * . after trying multiple ways of making my connection better ive reached these solutions:
    1)like everybody said, powerline option. i dont like this one because i get like 20mbps from a 100mbps.
    2) coax - using your existing cable in your house (which the cabe company is using to connect T.V.s to their service. - the best option of the lot. just need two adapters. 1 for each side. and you practically get 1\1 ratio. amazing really.

3)repeater - a good option for casual surfing etc but not for gaming. too much potential risk in d\cing . happens way too often.

4)5000000 m ethernet cable - great option. not so great for aesthetics and comfort.

im using the 2nd option which by far is the best\reliable\fastest.

hope i helped you.

btw. if you dont have coax network in your house its pretty cheap to install it manually and it will give you an infrastructure for when you'd want to connect to a cable company.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Coax is not something I'm familiar with, and it sounds like just as much effort as running the ethernet cable all the way round. We don't actually have cable TV, we just use Freeview and we have a smart TV so we can watch Netflix on it and so on.

I think I'm going to try the Powerline system first and see how that improves things.
  • WS-SCFC-1184
    1219 posts Professional
    23kubtx.jpgcmbl5.jpg
    Same here, but i place that thing closer to the router (not really next to the PS4), and i use quite a long LAN Cable. Getting 45 mbps usually, eventhough my router is far, far away

Yes mate that pack came in a pair 1 is plugged in the plug next to router with cable going into the router the other is plugged in next to the ps4 with cable going in the ps4 then just pair them up using the pair button and boom instant 100% signal strength:)
  • Rob
    1215 posts EA Staff (retired)
    +1 to the powerline suggestion. Results may vary but it's the best solution I've found to a problem like yours.
  • MemphisDepay
    Rob wrote: »
    +1 to the powerline suggestion. Results may vary but it's the best solution I've found to a problem like yours.
    @Rob
    Any news on when the servers are up again? It shouldve been 1 hour ago now...