Chelsea | Building Bridges | Chelsea '19/'20 | August fixtures, UCL draw and squad

Comments

• Ashy
    9455 posts League Winner
    Some big superstar signings, Bale is a risk but one a club Chelsea are willing to risk. If he can return to his form in his last season at Spurs then you've got yourself a real game winner. Massive move that. Icardi under the right management and setting can be one of the top 3 number 9's in world football, hopefully he settles in well in England and gets his head down and scores goals. Savic is a very good young midfielder who is already starting to show he can do it at the top level, I think he'd be brilliant in the Premier League so good job getting these 3.
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    Good news to see Hazard leaving the club. He didn't deserved that badge.

Now I am unsure about Gareth Bale... he's constantly injured, although his talent is evident. I wish Lampard can take the best of him in a comfort zone, as Bale never adapted to Spain (does he speak a word of Spanish but 'Hola'?).

As always, great article.
  • LAboog4
    578 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Good swap idea, one thatmakes sense for everyone. Bale wanted out, Hazard wanted Madrid, it just made too much sense..

Hopefully Bale can stay healthy and be rejuvenated being back in London.
  • Danimal5981
    2147 posts Fans' Favourite
    I can see this one actually happening in real life this summer. Or otherwise a Pogba / Bale swap between Real and Man U. But well thought of.
  • DB1512
    295 posts Sunday League Hero
    Frank Lampard made his Premier League debut for Chelsea as a manager.

TIMOALA.png
    ⚽ 18' 1-0 Bale (Sessegnon)
    ⚽ 21' 2-0 Bale (rebound)
    ⚽ 38' 2-1 João Felix
    ⚽ 40' 3-1 Willian (Icardi)
    ⚽ 45' 4-1 Icardi (Bale)
    ⚽ 86' 5-1 Icardi (Barkley)
  • DB1512
    Next Game:
    mYoGIOP.jpg
  • WestardLord
    1435 posts Professional
    Hazard for Bale is a good move, for everyone involved, in my opinion. Both players get a change and the teams will have something different to look forward to.

Great show for Bale. Also, Felix seems wasted at Fulham (lol)
  • LAboog4
    Good start to Lampard's career I'd say.
  • DB1512
    edited April 28
    @WestardLord there are some other PL clubs with really big talents that seem wasted at them. Cutrone plays for Newcastle United, Crystal Palace signed Lucas Vazquez and André Silva and Burnley snapped Tielemans away from Monaco.
    In a later update more on the transfer activities of other clubs.
  • DB1512
    Now it's time for the UEFA Super Cup against Barcelona
    Vty6oPh.jpg
  • LAboog4
    Great win, sounds like all the new faces are settling in right away for Chelsea. Bale with the assist after his brace last match and Icardi a brace this time.

Nice write up.
  • Ashy
    9455 posts League Winner
    Amazing start to the PL season thrashing London rivals Fulham. Big win against Barca there too and there is a trophy added to the collection. Icardi is the man
  • subpop
    Fantastic Premier League debut with Icardi and Bale showing up since day one, followed by the first trophy for Lampard in a tight game with our former player taking his particular revenge. Congratulations!
  • DB1512
    The game away to Bournemouth is played
    bdR21jn.png
  • subpop
    Bale and Icardi... Icardi and Bale... the team is flying right now and the signings are proving to be amazing!
  • DB1512
    edited May 1
    Also the games versus Southampton, Norwich (Carabao Cup) and Leicester are played.

T73CED6.png

Chelsea - Norwich City 1-1 3-2 penalties
    7' 1-0 Pulisic (Sesssegnon)
    85' 1-1 Oliveira

I lost the video of the Leicester match....
    Leicester City - Chelsea 0-2
    53' 0-1 Icardi (Sergej)
    73' 0-2 Willian

Up next:
    - Transfermarket is closing
    - UCL group draw
  • LAboog4
    Icardi is playing amazing and the team keeps winning. The schedule will become crazy soon with league, Carabao cup and UCL all at once so now the squad will really be tested.
  • subpop
    For now, unstoppable... very promising. Definitely there's fresh air in this team.
  • Ashy
    9455 posts League Winner
    Icardi has settled in well as have the other new signings, scoring for fun too, perfect start for Chelsea let's hope it continues.
  • DB1512
    This is the squad we have for the upcoming season.
    J3wjT9g.png
    According the Homegrown rules of the FA the squad can have a maximum of 25 players. 17 of this 25 players are allowed to be non-homegrown. There is no restriction for U21 players, so Pulisic and Sessegnon are still their on paper but they will have a large role this season. Most of the players at the U21 are still in the youth team but I wrote them down so I could promote them if needed.
  • Ashy
    9455 posts League Winner
    edited May 2
    Good squad there, plenty of depth to deal with the season ahead, I'd like to see a lot of those youth players get a chance in the domestic cups though

EDIT: Such as Mason Mount, Ethan Ampadu and Billy Gilmour
    Post edited by Ashy on
  • DB1512
    The draw for the Champions League groups took place
    oWwYnpH.png

The transfermarket is closed so here the balance of our team

Transfers in:
    - Kalidou Koulibaly (Napoli, £80.000.000)
    - Mauro Icardi (Internazionale, £78.000.000)
    - Sergej Milinkovic-Savic (Lazio Roma, £75.000.000)
    - Gareth Bale (Real Madrid, £50.000.000)
    - Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Crystal Palace, £29.000.000)
    - Ryan Bertrand (Southampton, £7.000.000)
    - Joe Hart (Burnley, £3.000.000)

Total in: £322.000.000

Transfers out:
    - Eden Hazard (Real Madrid, £100.000.000)
    - Antonio Rüdiger (Bayern München, £40.000.000)
    - Marcos Alonso (Borussia Dortmund, £35.000.000)
    - Jorginho (Napoli, £35.000.000)
    - Michy Batshuayi (AS Monaco, £30.000.000)
    - Kurt Zouma (Everton, £26.000.000)
    - Mario Pasalic (Everton, £22.000.000)
    - Davide Zappacosta (Internazionale, £16.000.000)
    - Kenedy (Bayer Leverkusen, £12.000.000)
    - Pedro (Internazionale, £10.000.000)
    - Danny Drinkwater (AS Roma, £10.000.000)
    - Marco van Ginkel (Bayer Leverkusen, £10.000.000)
    - Baba Rahman (Burnley, £5.000.000)
    - Oliver Giroud (Burnley, free)
    - Willy Caballero (retired)
    - Robert Green (retired)

Total out: £351.000.000

• subpop
    Wow... so much depth in the team. Personally, I prefer short squads than this huge amount of players, but the English competitions are exigent and require extensive squads. Nice team in any case.
  • WestardLord
    1435 posts Professional
    What a huge exchange of funds, but Koulibaly, Icardi and SMS coming in should make the squad better overall

Plus, a little profit
  • LAboog4
    With all the big names coming in Chelsea still finished with a positive net spend. Impressive and much needed window.

The squad is very deep, like @subpop said I prefer smaller squads too but that is impossible in England with 4 competitons and no winter break. This team looks good enough to compete on all fronts.
  • Ashy
    9455 posts League Winner
    Quite an interesting group that, Dortmund will be challenging but the others two should be straight forward but can be threatening too. Massively busy transfers window in total and nice combination of experienced world class players, young talents and squad depth brought in and lots of deadwood and wantaway players leaving, fresh start for Chelsea.
  • DB1512
    It may look like a big squad, but most of the U21 players are still in the youth team so I probably won't use them (much). The squad Lampard is going to work with is around 24 players, two players for every position except the centre backs (5 CBs) and midfielders (8 players for 3 positions).

In this update some news about the top 3 of last season.
    Premier League '18/'19 winners Manchester United
    vYVZARb.jpg
    Runner-up Tottenham Hotspur
    IC9mDZi.jpg
    Arsenal in third place
    6AIP3Of.jpg

In the next update the other three title challengers: Manchester City, Liverpool and Lampard's Chelsea.

• Ashy
    9455 posts League Winner
    I like the improvements Arsenal have made although I'm not so sure Gomez works too well as a playmaker but what do I know, Carvajal and a proper CDM makes them title contenders looking at it. Spurs have a very strong team, I'm not sure the midfield balance is right though, no real defensive player but Thiago can control the game from the back. Not sure how United won the league last year with that 11, the defence looks terrible will be interesting to see how well they do defending it.
  • Stlducks
    1423 posts Professional
    Those 3 teams all look impressive, Chelsea will have a real challenge for top4 let alone the title. I actually think Arsenal look the best despite Mustafi still playing.
  • subpop
    Nice review of the rivals. I really like Spurs, although the team is very attacking oriented and make feel doubts on the defensive aspect.

Manchester United isn't that impressive, but they are the champions after all. Arsenal also had some interesting movements and the team seem more competitive this year.