Fifa Points aren’t available anymore in Belgium

Comments

  • YOLOT0URE
    7908 posts League Winner
    Keano wrote: »
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    I’m bored of going round and round now. My opinion
    Is it addictive? Yes it can be
    Is it gambling? Personally no

    Comparing to different things, it’s not exactly the same as anything and I was trying to show different aspects but clearly people (not @Keano ) were diving on the wrong understanding. I’m not on this forum to argue. If the regulators find it as gambling or not. That’s on them, not on if me and @Mic2904 agree that it is on a forum.

    I just hope they don’t ban it across Europe or the world etc. Snowflake generation can never be to blame for their own actions anymore

    Not sure if you're saying I was more reasonable/justifiable or if I'm unreasonable & whatnot (not with it atm).

    Nah it was a decent discussion. No issues with our chat. You were reasonable
  • Azof
    19864 posts Club Captain
    Blarix wrote: »
    Azof wrote: »
    Epic did this to their predatory lootbox system
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47028992

    They are trend setters . Fantastic company imo.

    Apart from how they are running their store at the moment.

    But their mtx while dear are fair
  • Blarix
    20869 posts Club Captain
    Baker wrote: »
    Surely it isnt gambling because, you buy a pack and you’re guaranteed to walk away with players, however if you spin on the roulette or blackjack there is no guarantee that you’ll get anything?

    In reality you want to walk away with random gold players or did you buy fp hoping to get the best player possible ?

  • Pugzilla
    17329 posts World Class
    Baker wrote: »
    Surely it isnt gambling because, you buy a pack and you’re guaranteed to walk away with players, however if you spin on the roulette or blackjack there is no guarantee that you’ll get anything?

    And thank God for that I needed that Layun out of my 100k pack to finish off my complete collection of under 80 defenders.
  • Knowlesdinho
    15133 posts World Class
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    I’m bored of going round and round now. My opinion
    Is it addictive? Yes it can be
    Is it gambling? Personally no

    Comparing to different things, it’s not exactly the same as anything and I was trying to show different aspects but clearly people (not @Keano ) were diving on the wrong understanding. I’m not on this forum to argue. If the regulators find it as gambling or not. That’s on them, not on if me and @Mic2904 agree that it is on a forum.

    I just hope they don’t ban it across Europe or the world etc. Snowflake generation can never be to blame for their own actions anymore

    Absolutely agree with that last sentence.
  • TimRUFC
    3932 posts National Call-Up
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Keano wrote: »
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Maybe I’m the only one against this. I’d rather people pay for FP if they so wish. I don’t, but it makes the market usable. Without that, you’ll be forced to buy players and packs will disappear. Great....

    it's gambling, they may wrap it up nicely & put a ribbon around it to make it look like it's not, but it is gambling, so really it shouldn't even be allowed unless it's confirmed each user is of legal age.

    Here we go again...it’s not gambling. You literally are given exactly what you are told to be. No mention of coin return possibilities.

    Buying a packet of biscuits gambling by your logic. You are getting what you paid for but they could be smashed! Or they could be 2mm smaller than inside another pack. Ban them!

    How can you not see that it’s a form of gambling? When you with have the “chance” of packing 99 Ronaldo or some 76 shitkid it’s obviously a gamble. Look at the returns from whatever a 125k pack usually costs(?) can cost £25+ for a pack worth 25k but can also cost £1 for a pack worth 10m which is all a gamble
  • Reus
    23568 posts Club Captain
    They will just make us pay to play fut probably
  • G12OGN
    1519 posts Play-Off Hero
    People trying to convince themselves its not a form of gambling are amusing.
  • Th3 UK Smurf
    2876 posts National Call-Up
    Baker wrote: »
    Surely it isnt gambling because, you buy a pack and you’re guaranteed to walk away with players, however if you spin on the roulette or blackjack there is no guarantee that you’ll get anything?

    @Baker

    Blackjack has a Theoretical percentage of RTP based on statistical averages.

    A 100k pack gives you a theoretical percentage of the rating of players that will be in the pack based on statistical averages.

    Spot the difference?
  • Baker
    1632 posts Play-Off Hero
    But those players can change in value, your roulette spin and lottery ticket will stay worthless. You always receive something from a pack regardless of wether you’re happy with it.
  • Blarix
    20869 posts Club Captain
    Reus wrote: »
    They will just make us pay to play fut probably

    Most likely a set dlc.

    If you want a team containing icons pay around 500-1k. I don't think we have to worry about this for few years ea lawyers will drag it out as long as possible .
  • Nervous_Nick
    6870 posts Big Money Move
    Of course it is gambling!! And this is why they’re making millions out of it, because nobody would pay 1000 euros to buy CR7, but a lot of people buy 1000 euros of FP during the year hoping to pack Ronaldo.
    If other countries will follow Belgium, it will be game over for EA’s moneymaker.
    Which is good news, maybe they finally put some effort into releasing a good, consistent, skill based game.
  • Duncan1972
    392 posts Sunday League Hero
    Blarix wrote: »
    Reus wrote: »
    They will just make us pay to play fut probably

    Most likely a set dlc.

    If you want a team containing icons pay around 500-1k. I don't think we have to worry about this for few years ea lawyers will drag it out as long as possible .

    Few years? The EA Lawyers didnt drag it out in Belgium beyond 9-10 months.
  • Fab
    19704 posts Club Captain
    Duncan1972 wrote: »
    Blarix wrote: »
    Reus wrote: »
    They will just make us pay to play fut probably

    Most likely a set dlc.

    If you want a team containing icons pay around 500-1k. I don't think we have to worry about this for few years ea lawyers will drag it out as long as possible .

    Few years? The EA Lawyers didnt drag it out in Belgium beyond 9-10 months.

    yeah buddy but other countries need to follow suit first bfore they start draging u feel me if other countries aint even start then ea aint need to do nothing u see??
  • Azof
    19864 posts Club Captain
    G12OGN wrote: »
    People trying to convince themselves its not a form of gambling are amusing.

    The mental gymnastics to protect their precious mode
  • Koolfashion
    2987 posts National Call-Up
    People wont pay directly 1k to play with icons etc. But will pay indirectly by buying FP. This mode is pure form of addiction imo. It's better than gambling. It's unregulated.
  • Reus
    23568 posts Club Captain
    If you can't buy fp imagine how much the coin selling sites will make

    Bet they are licking there lips

    Prices will go up a lot demand will be do high from people who are used to having the best players but not trading
  • Blackpoolmonster
    4764 posts National Call-Up
    “ The impact of this change to FIFA Ultimate Team in Belgium is not material to our financial performance”


    :D
  • keilly
    443 posts Sunday League Hero
    I don't think EA could sell players for money, soon as they do that card then has a money value. Packs don't as you have no idea what you are getting till it is opened.
    So if i buy Ronaldo for £50. (i know would cost more ) when i decide i want to get rid of him for whatever reason in theory i should be allowed to resell for what i paid.
  • LiTTl3_King15
    480 posts Sunday League Hero
    What gets me with EA is how every model of their ultimate team mode is different whether it's ufc,FIFA,madden,NHL etc it's all set up differently but FIFA and UFC are by far the worse for gambling. FIFA you are never guaranteed to get anything let alone most high percentages are under 1 percent which is whack because for all we know it could be 0.0001 percent considering how bad packs are. In UFC they don't even have a market so it forces you to buy packs with money as it's ridiculously hard to stack coins it's all set up to be such a huge grind that you get bored and spend money.

    NHL and madden do it a touch different where you can buy guaranteed packs and most times you'll get good players although the cost is high.

    The sets though are what separate madden and NHL you can easily just play challenges and spend no money and get a stacked team so they need to organize it so that FIFA is less of a grind because how it is now is crazy you need millions of coins of to make a semi competive team. They have no solo challenges or anything either unless it's squad battles which is just repetitive and boring lol at the end of the day everyone is opening packs chasing a messi or Ronaldo or icon which is no different than chasing a jackpot at the slots or a winning lottery ticket.
  • Duncan1972
    392 posts Sunday League Hero
    Fab wrote: »
    Duncan1972 wrote: »
    Blarix wrote: »
    Reus wrote: »
    They will just make us pay to play fut probably

    Most likely a set dlc.

    If you want a team containing icons pay around 500-1k. I don't think we have to worry about this for few years ea lawyers will drag it out as long as possible .

    Few years? The EA Lawyers didnt drag it out in Belgium beyond 9-10 months.

    yeah buddy but other countries need to follow suit first bfore they start draging u feel me if other countries aint even start then ea aint need to do nothing u see??

    Yep I see that, I also see that EA Lawyers couldn't delay more than a few months, not the "few years claimed".

    And to say EA dont have to do anything is naive- better to pre-empt the inevitable than waste $M's on something they clearly wont be able to avoid once other countries start to take action. Its both a sensible business approach and also better for PR- Battlefront 2 will have taught them that.
  • TheFreshOne3
    1099 posts Professional
    TimRUFC wrote: »
    Scutch wrote: »
    iD33J91 wrote: »
    Scutch wrote: »
    As someone who has spent the best part of £1k on Fifa Points this year (yeah, utterly ridiculous - think I became addicted to opening packs), I'm all for this. Fair platform for us all.

    Same here.

    Wonder if they’ll go to a “buy a player” model instead of the effective gamble of buying packs

    Coin buying will become even more of a problem.

    Not if ea remodels and decides to sell them themselves 🤔

    They wouldn’t allow players to get the players they love as that would make them easy to obtain. Can’t have that!
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    TimRUFC wrote: »
    Scutch wrote: »
    iD33J91 wrote: »
    Scutch wrote: »
    As someone who has spent the best part of £1k on Fifa Points this year (yeah, utterly ridiculous - think I became addicted to opening packs), I'm all for this. Fair platform for us all.

    Same here.

    Wonder if they’ll go to a “buy a player” model instead of the effective gamble of buying packs

    Coin buying will become even more of a problem.

    Not if ea remodels and decides to sell them themselves 🤔

    They also could just put R9 in the store "For a limited time" at a cheeky 1k price point etc. Or just have a catalog of players to chose from. Fact of the matter is FIFA points is a negative thing for consumers.

    Cheeky 1k or an absolute joke at 1k. That’s insane money even if they offered a player at £50. That’s over £500 for a team you want. People will do it without thinking logically unfortunately
  • TheFreshOne3
    1099 posts Professional
    Keano wrote: »
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Keano wrote: »
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Maybe I’m the only one against this. I’d rather people pay for FP if they so wish. I don’t, but it makes the market usable. Without that, you’ll be forced to buy players and packs will disappear. Great....

    it's gambling, they may wrap it up nicely & put a ribbon around it to make it look like it's not, but it is gambling, so really it shouldn't even be allowed unless it's confirmed each user is of legal age.

    Here we go again...it’s not gambling. You literally are given exactly what you are told to be. No mention of coin return possibilities.

    Buying a packet of biscuits gambling by your logic. You are getting what you paid for but they could be smashed! Or they could be 2mm smaller than inside another pack. Ban them!

    You put money in for a chance at something...


    That is gambling.

    gambling definition;

    Playing games for chance of money - opening packs for chance of Messi... same thing.

    Taking a risky action in hopes of a desire result - Opening packs in hopes of packing TOTY

    Please stop the nonsense saying it's not gambling, it is & saying it isn't is part of the problem, you put money in & don't know what you're getting back (so it's a risk... which means it's gambling).


    State of people talking about a topic they don't even know the meaning of... :D

    He compared gambling to buying biscuits bro I think it’s best to leave him in fairyland
  • El_Nino
    8832 posts League Winner
    Honestly people think this is great but it’ll be atrocious. All it will change is the market will either cease to exist and they’ll make in untradeable only, or the market will keep going and everything will be pricey as hell for anyone not willing to spend.
    As without pack sales imo they’d go down the £80 for this certain player, £20 for this one ect ect.
  • Scutch
    19368 posts World Class
    “ The impact of this change to FIFA Ultimate Team in Belgium is not material to our financial performance”


    :D

    200.gif
  • Ning
    5837 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 2019
    YOLOT0URE wrote: »
    Snowflake generation can never be to blame for their own actions anymore

    Strong Strawman argument here.

    The reason it's not gambling is because you're buying FIFA Points which is the reason that it's always been legal same as in every other country, it technically always should have been illegal in a huge portion of the world.

    It's because Belgium's changed the laws and judged that EA is selling the packs not the points, which are themselves evidently tickets for a pack of players. Whether you think that's a lottery ticket or not that's the premise of the ban.

    Multiple illegalities here:
    No odds released, which is a big no-no for gambling
    Gambling is only legal for at the very youngest 16, and illegal in countries like the States, which evidently isn't the case with kids spending 1000s of their parents money on it
    Circumventing country laws by using worldwide loopholes

    Personally I think it's the right move, packs take advantage of players who don't know what they're doing, and this is coming from a gambler myself. At the very least they should make changes to the system so people know what they're buying.

    Edit: and for anyone saying it isn't gambling because you get something, there are lottery tickets which guarantee at least a small win, which are still subject to gambling rules so that's a blatantly broken argument.
  • Xtrem3 Poptarts
    9596 posts League Winner
    Belgium: we’re stopping the sale of fifa points

    EA: WOULDN’T EVEN MAKE A DENTTTTTTTT
  • Tof33z
    7042 posts Big Money Move
    I expect they'll find a way to make it easy to get round, eg just change country in your settings
  • Falafelmonster
    5178 posts Big Money Move
    Where in belgo? Antwerp represent!
  • Shane
    24161 posts Player of the Year
    Imagine people paying £1,000 to use R9 :lol:

    If other countries follow suit I wonder what model they'll go with. I hope they completely get rid of the whole p2w thing but that seems highly unlikely
Sign In or Register to comment.