How to counter ping pong passing?

SinkXI
703 posts Semi-Pro
What formation/custom tactics is best to defend against ping pong passing ? I spend all game working openings and trying to create chances , 5 ping pong passes later the other guy has scored. Can’t get near it 🤣

Comments

• DanValletta
    1075 posts Professional
    Do you use right stick to switch? In 18 I struggled massively with ping pong so I learnt to switch with the stick and you just step in front of the player who's next to receive the pass. Ping pong passers are easy to read but if you use the left back button to switch they will be free to ping pong away.
  • SinkXI
    703 posts Semi-Pro
    Do you use right stick to switch? In 18 I struggled massively with ping pong so I learnt to switch with the stick and you just step in front of the player who's next to receive the pass. Ping pong passers are easy to read but if you use the left back button to switch they will be free to ping pong away.

Yeah I think I do use L1, it usually takes me about 6 attempts to move the right stick to switch player haha. Then again L1 isn’t much better. I’ll try and practice that, cheers mate!
  • Gainzy
    897 posts Semi-Pro
    Turn off the console. That counters everything ea throw at you.
  • starfox1284
    1154 posts Professional
    Let them do it
  • DeanoZoff
    4216 posts National Call-Up
    Sit back and get your players in position for when he tries it in your half
  • starfox1284
    1154 posts Professional
    edited January 29
    DeanoZoff wrote: »
    Sit back and get your players in position for when he tries it in your half

Exactly....ping pong players always make one pass too many eventually
  • Cyodine
    965 posts Semi-Pro
    Hard tackle their players until you injure them. If you get a yellow card, then sub that player out and repeat. Rabiot is my main hatchet man, he is never afraid to put in a good foul. I have won many games with this technique.
  • TheFreshOne3
    1099 posts Professional
    edited January 29
    Cyodine wrote: »
    Hard tackle their players until you injure them. If you get a yellow card, then sub that player out and repeat. Rabiot is my main hatchet man, he is never afraid to put in a good foul. I have won many games with this technique.

How on earth is this a way to counter ping pong. Max 3 subs, injuring a player in Fifa doesn’t actually injure them, you could take them and get a yellow after they have passed the ball without play stopping, could possibly lead to a straight red, when ping pong is done all game 6 fouls won’t do much except leave you having to be careful about tackling 🧐
  • Cyodine
    965 posts Semi-Pro

How on earth is this a way to counter ping pong. Max 3 subs, injuring a player in Fifa doesn’t actually injure them, you could take them and get a yellow after they have passed the ball without play stopping, could possibly lead to a straight red, when ping pong is done all game 6 fouls won’t do much except leave you having to be careful about tackling 🧐

I've always had good success when playing aggressive. Sometimes I will even bring my striker back to draw a foul. I look to frustrate my opponent by disrupting their play. I play a very high line with fast build up, so the moment I get the ball back I am through on goal. I had Balotelli as my striker for a long time, he had like 60 yellow cards and 50 something goals. Once I ended a match with 3 red cards but It was a good match.
  • TheFreshOne3
    1099 posts Professional

I've always had good success when playing aggressive. Sometimes I will even bring my striker back to draw a foul. I look to frustrate my opponent by disrupting their play. I play a very high line with fast build up, so the moment I get the ball back I am through on goal. I had Balotelli as my striker for a long time, he had like 60 yellow cards and 50 something goals. Once I ended a match with 3 red cards but It was a good match.

When you play a high line doesn’t that leave you open to easy lobbed/normal through balls on counter attacks? All my games are the same I get so bored so a switch up may be needed. Played possession, fast build up, drop back, balanced, possession after loss but the games are the same no matter what for me
  • DanValletta
    1075 posts Professional
    SinkXI wrote: »

Yeah I think I do use L1, it usually takes me about 6 attempts to move the right stick to switch player haha. Then again L1 isn’t much better. I’ll try and practice that, cheers mate!

It does take some getting used to but will improve your game massively. I couldn't imagine not using it now.
  • Cyodine
    965 posts Semi-Pro

When you play a high line doesn’t that leave you open to easy lobbed/normal through balls on counter attacks? All my games are the same I get so bored so a switch up may be needed. Played possession, fast build up, drop back, balanced, possession after loss but the games are the same no matter what for me

Sometimes I am vulnerable but I play a 433 with my center mid on stay back and both wide mids on full attack. I play a high line I think one less than the last bar. I use press on heavy touch and fast build up. I try to create a fast paced and constant attack when I play. I used to love playing possession but FUT seems to be always against that playstyle.
  • SinkXI
    703 posts Semi-Pro

😂😂😂 love this
  • Royboy
    530 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Have a tactic ready for ping pong players. Pressure on heavy touches are usually a go-to tactics against tiki taka. Just patiently wait on any mistakes. Tiki taka players won’t break your defense line quickly because they’re only focusing few yards around the dribbler
  • Zakury
    694 posts An Exciting Prospect
    What the heck is ping pong passing lmao
  • ItsWideRight
    688 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Ping pong passing isn't effective this year, it's easy to counter
  • DeanoZoff
    4216 posts National Call-Up
    Royboy wrote: »
    Have a tactic ready for ping pong players. Pressure on heavy touches are usually a go-to tactics against tiki taka. Just patiently wait on any mistakes. Tiki taka players won’t break your defense line quickly because they’re only focusing few yards around the dribbler

Pinging blind first time passes is not tiki taka.

Anyone from that great Barcelona side would give you a slap if they heard that tosh.