Talking Points #1 - Should FA Cup Replays Be Scrapped?

Alastair
10059 posts Moderator
edited January 28
KAuNN7q.png

Welcome to Talking Points. This is the first in a new series of weekly football debates on the forums. Every week there will be a different topic for you to discuss on the forums. This week we start with an FA Cup themed topic, 'Should FA Cup Replays Be Scrapped?'.

Replays have been part of the FA Cup since the birth of modern football in 1871. The first replayed Final was in 1875 as Royal Engineers beat Old Etonians 2-0 after originally drawing 1-1 (AET). Starting with the 2000-01 FA Cup, Final and Semi Final replays were scrapped with Ryan Giggs' famous 1999 goal against Arsenal coming in the last Semi Final replay. More recently the 2016-17 competition saw Sixth Round Proper (Quarter Final) replays abolished. Last month the FA announced FA Cup Fifth Round replays would be scrapped starting with this season's competition. Replays still happen in the ten rounds from the Extra Preliminary Round in August till the Fourth Round Proper in January/February.

FA Cup Replays have long been a vital financial boost for smaller clubs. One notable example is in Fourth Round of the 2014-15 competition Cambridge United earned £1 million from the gate receipts of their replay away to Manchester United. The club's annual turnover the season before was just £1.6 million so this represented almost two-thirds of their total income the previous season. In addition to this 5% payment of the gate receipts from all replayed matches during the Competition Proper are divided between the 32 non-league clubs who reached the First Round of the Competition Proper. In recent years this has meant the clubs have each earned an additional fee of approximately £10k in addition to the prize money, gate receipts and TV money they have already earned. For some of these clubs this £10k could pay their wage bill for a few months.

Over the years some of the competition's greatest moments have come in replays, including a giant killing which was voted "best FA Cup tie ever" in a 2007 poll by The Observer newspaper. Part-time Hereford United defeated top-flight Newcastle United in a tie which saw non-league victors, five postponements, the birth of John Motson's career, a right-back who played with a broken leg and an on-duty policeman who started a pitch invasion. The original tie was postponed twice due a water logged pitch in Newcastle before eventually ending in a 2-2 draw. The replay was postponed a further three times before taking place on Fourth Round day. Hereford won in extra-time thanks to goals from part time joiner Ronnie Radford and Rickie George. Radford's 30-yard effort which flew into the top corner of Northern Ireland international Willie McFaul's net was voted goal of the century

That match came back in the days when top flight sides played their first team in matches and regarded the FA Cup as the biggest competition in World Football and thus we will probably never see a Giant Killing on the same scale again. More recently some Premier League sides have treated the competition as a chance to give the kids some game time while the big stars have a week off. Despite this, many supporters still regard the Football Association Challenge Cup as the greatest competition in the world and are very disappointed to see the end of replays. What about you? Do you love replays or loathe them? Debate your views on FA Cup Replays below in this first edition of Talking Points.

Previous Talking Points:
#1 Should FA Cup Replays Be Scrapped?

If you have an idea for a future Talking Points topic please send me a PM.

Comments

• Wyojasond
    11546 posts Has That Special Something
    edited January 28
    As a fan no I don’t think they should be scrapped, but end of the day I think it’s fairly obvious to see that the big teams will most likely get there way again and they will be scrapped. As stated before, the FA cup just really doesn’t mean that much to owners of the big teams. It’s a nice trophy to hang in the cupboard, but it don’t pay the bills anymore.
  • Yusuf11
    1837 posts Play-Off Hero
    Big clubs get paid a lot, replays are their way of sharing the wealth. I'm a Chelsea fan and I still don't think support that notion

We are far too deep in capitalism, this will maintain some level of humanity and giving back to the fans
  • Ahmer50x
    18121 posts World Class
    I think they've got the right balance now.

Replays scrapped from round 5 (when its mostly top two division sides) onwards.
  • Zakury
    694 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Scrap them
  • HeisenbergTFB
    59 posts Park Captain
    After a certain round maybe 5th or 6th round i think they should be
  • Zakury
    694 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Just make it a knockout, makes it more exciting
  • BiigDee
    4339 posts National Call-Up
    Nope not at all. A replay at a big club for the small teams can make such a difference to the club. I’m a Newport Lad and County Fan so every penny we get helps my club so much plus we’re earning it. We will do Boro at home I hope then draw United at Ot. That would be a dream come true. What I will add is some of the bigger clubs should show a bit more respect to the competition as it’s the biggest football cup in the world I beleive and it’s tradition.
  • It's definitely worth a debate. People have been talking for a while about English football compared to other European nations and in recent years I feel the nation has suffered not just on the international front but on the European front as well.

I'm a Man Utd fan and I feel like replays should be scrapped. One of the most memorable moments in a replay, happened in an Arsenal vs Man Utd game but that moment could have happened in any tie. I personally, apart from the financial gain for smaller clubs, I don't see much value in replays as a tradition.

If there was some way for the FA to find the right balance financially for smaller clubs then I personally feel all replays at all levels in the FA Cup should be scrapped.

Perhaps, someone that follows lower leagues would be able to tell me better, but from what I know, they play 46 games in a season, add that they play the preliminary games in the FA Cup until the end of the competition, I think from League two? they play in the League Cup and also have the FA Trophy to contend with. That is a lot of games for clubs with small budgets and small amount of players to play. The players obviously don't haveinternational or European commitments but that is still a lot of games. Seeing as I'm not a fan of these smaller clubs, perhaps they'd have a better idea on how a lot of games affects their clubs. Not to mention, some of these players could possibly have other jobs as well as football, so it could be better for some clubs in the early stages of the FA Cup not to have replays.

Obviously, the pay-day is what is most important to smaller clubs with the FA Cup. I would much prefer replays to be scrapped, financially the tournament to get more money for success from top to bottom and then when it comes to the competition in general, I'd personally like, club-home-grown players to be given opportunities all the way through the competition.

I do feel it's a pity that FA Cup isn't as favoured as it was given it's history with Spurs, West Ham, Everton being knocked out of the competition and all clubs not taking it massively seriously but that's how the game has evolved, there is so much money in the Premier League and so much expectation to go with it.
  • Pooter
    1932 posts Fans' Favourite
    No, because the smaller clibs needs the revenue if the big teams can’t beat them firet time around
  • Pooter
    1932 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    I think they've got the right balance now.

Replays scrapped from round 5 (when its mostly top two division sides) onwards.

Ok, but sometimes smaller clubs go to the semis

From my previous answer, I think they should scrap replays at the semis stage
  • Dizzy Bala
    3681 posts National Call-Up
    The only reason why a replay is a good idea, is if you are a lower league team playing a higher up. The gate money and potentially the TV money can make a big difference in that team's season.

That being said, on a practical level, no one wants to see teams from the same league playing in a replay. I like that the Carabao Cup scrapped extra-time
    • If you are in the same league and you draw, the game goes to penalties.
    • If you are in a different league and you draw, you have to play a replay. The lower team gets some £££ and also, the bigger teams put out better teams to avoid the replay in the first place which means the cup gains credibility. Yes, you'd have to play a game extra to teams that win but really, you should be taking the FA Cup seriously in the first place.
  • Dizzy Bala wrote: »
    The only reason why a replay is a good idea, is if you are a lower league team playing a higher up. The gate money and potentially the TV money can make a big difference in that team's season.

That being said, on a practical level, no one wants to see teams from the same league playing in a replay. I like that the Carabao Cup scrapped extra-time
    • If you are in the same league and you draw, the game goes to penalties.
    • If you are in a different league and you draw, you have to play a replay. The lower team gets some £££ and also, the bigger teams put out better teams to avoid the replay in the first place which means the cup gains credibility. Yes, you'd have to play a game extra to teams that win but really, you should be taking the FA Cup seriously in the first place.

I agree on the Carabao Cup scrapping extra time. I don't think the FA Cup should do that though. Perhaps, bringing back the old Golden Goal rule would be cool.

I like it in principle but teams don't put stronger teams out now, when a replay is on the table so I don't understand the point on teams would take it more seriously when you're actually not changing anything...

The only reason why this is even a debate is because of £££ for smaller clubs so why not change the way prize money is given at all rounds, even the rounds that don't even include premier league teams. It's a tough one to find a solid answer that suits everyone. Maybe some of the prize money goes to the smaller club, if they take it to extra time and then penalty, so the team gets less prize money based on how they win (I suppose if the smaller clubs won on penalties) it wouldn't work for them so possibly a bad idea.

It does start to get more complicated and less consistent though, the more you change the rules depending on the teams on show though, that's why there are blanket rules that are consistent throughout...
  • Currieman
    4943 posts National Call-Up
    Personally I think tradition isn't a bad thing so we should try our best to preserve the history of competitions like the FA Cup.

I appreciate that most teams would rather focus on the Premiership now and that's because of the money but winning the FA Cup is still massive to me. I can't see my team QPR doing it any time soon.

The money that lower league teams can get from replays is huge to them but at the same time the fixture list is incredibly congested as it is.

I don't think they should get rid of them, definitely not. However maybe a balance like what they have now is going to be the best solution. Replays up until Round 5/6. It's not perfect but it's probably the best you'll get.
  • Tornado31619
    16915 posts World Class
    If it’s not broke, don’t fix it. Although I must say that I see no point in having 4th round replays yet no 5th/6th round replays, considering that none of them are played at a neutral ground.
  • Batman442
    3767 posts National Call-Up
    Scrap league cup and make FA cup a two legged game
  • Ahmer50x
    18121 posts World Class
    If it’s not broke, don’t fix it. Although I must say that I see no point in having 4th round replays yet no 5th/6th round replays, considering that none of them are played at a neutral ground.

The point is that replays only really matter to lower league sides and most of them are out by the 5th round usually. It's a way of helping the big teams' fixture congestion without hurting the lower league sides.
  • Henzz87
    297 posts Sunday League Hero
    They should bring back the option for the smaller teams to switch the match to the bigger teams stadium.
  • BiigDee
    Replays shouldn’t only mean something to small teams, every team should want to win the FA Cup. I don’t know what’s wrong with these managers. Prime example being Spurs. They had a good chance to win a trophy. Maybe it was a point being made to prove he needs players but he knew that close season. Show the cup respect.

On a plus note if we beat Boro at Home in our replay the County will Welcome Man City!!!!
  • Luther20201
    43 posts Park Captain
    no should not be scrapped
  • Ahmer50x
    18121 posts World Class
    BiigDee wrote: »
    Replays shouldn’t only mean something to small teams, every team should want to win the FA Cup. I don’t know what’s wrong with these managers. Prime example being Spurs. They had a good chance to win a trophy. Maybe it was a point being made to prove he needs players but he knew that close season. Show the cup respect.

On a plus note if we beat Boro at Home in our replay the County will Welcome Man City!!!!

Don't see how these things are related. How do replays make winning the FA Cup worth more/more likely?

You only have a replay if its a draw. What's the big issue with going to extra time and pens if you draw instead of another match?
  • ryan217
    2878 posts Fans' Favourite
    No they shouldn't be scrapped, if bigger teams are worried about replays then just put out a full strength team

And while we're talking about the FA cup, the semi's shouldn't be played at Wembley. Wembley should be reserved for finals only.
  • JRM1984
    103 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited January 30
    Same here, don't think they should be scrapped - they bring in vital money for smaller teams eg. Newport this year - if big teams don't like replays perhaps they should field a stronger team in the first game!
  • mdizzl3
    12407 posts Has That Special Something
    No
  • GS13
    226 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    no
  • Mr_Matchup1
    4320 posts National Call-Up
    Nope but I think the league cup should be championship teams and below to cut the amount of games premier League teams play
  • Maybe not
  • BiigDee
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    BiigDee wrote: »

Don't see how these things are related. How do replays make winning the FA Cup worth more/more likely?

You only have a replay if its a draw. What's the big issue with going to extra time and pens if you draw instead of another match?

Because that extra game can mean so much to a lower league cup yet it’s a hindrance for the big teams. If bigger teams don’t like the prospect of having a replay then field your best team. Simple as that.

This cup has been running this format for years and it’s a magical experience for a lot of fans. It shouldn’t be taken away because big clubs are moaning at the amount of games.

You follow your hometown club then get replay at a huge club then tell me it doesn’t matter
  • BiigDee
    JRM1984 wrote: »
    Same here, don't think they should be scrapped - they bring in vital money for smaller teams eg. Newport this year - if big teams don't like replays perhaps they should field a stronger team in the first game!

For me this is what the cup has always been about and should always remain, granted I may have a biased view but the replay gave us a better chance of getting through. Boro players bottled it, cold wet night with a massive atmosphere. That money will sort out club for next season. It would have been nice for the chance to get a replay against city to. Still I’m happy and can’t wait for the game.