Anyone know how P2P works for online games ?

JonRambo
1103 posts Professional
Do we connect through EA servers, or is it P2P ?

As i played someone earlier tonight, he had ADSL1 and using wifi to his ps4 and i have NBN which is the fastest internet in Australia (but thats not saying much lol) but its 100mb download and 40 upload and im using a wired connection straight to my ps4 and he had 0 button delay and mine was about 2-3 secs (felt like i was playing someone in the US or UK) and he lives very close to me.

So anyone know if online games are hoted by EA servers or is it p2p ?

Comments

• CarpeDiem
    2479 posts Fans' Favourite
    Depends on the mode.

In FUT:

WL, Rivals and draft are on EA servers
    Online friendly is p2p
    Not sure about online single matches

• JonRambo
    1103 posts Professional
    CarpeDiem wrote: »
    Depends on the mode.

In FUT:

WL, Rivals and draft are on EA servers
    Online friendly is p2p
    Not sure about online single matches

Hmm, so how come the guy i played earlier, had worse internet then me, using wifi instead of wired and had no lag yet i had heaps of lag and we live very close to eachother, maybe 20kms away ?

Not sure if this is true but someone told me this a few years ago with fifa on how it connects.

First the 2 players join ea servers then ea takes both players connection speed and divides it some how to try and make it fair, but it does sound right as i keep getting penalised.
  • Nonavital
    127 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Depends who is hosting the game
  • Str8hii
    1734 posts Play-Off Hero
    I get zero lag and zero delay when i connect to my cellphone data which is 30ish down and 10 up and i can tell my opponent gets delayed but if i play on my home network (350 down 25 up comcast) i get terrible delay constantly switching wrong players cant make simple pass shots are either way off or straight at keeper
  • JonRambo
    1103 posts Professional
    Nonavital wrote: »
    Depends who is hosting the game

See i dont get it, how can one of us host if we both connect to EAs servers ? I thought we are running off the servers ?
  • JonRambo
    1103 posts Professional
    Str8hii wrote: »
    I get zero lag and zero delay when i connect to my cellphone data which is 30ish down and 10 up and i can tell my opponent gets delayed but if i play on my home network (350 down 25 up comcast) i get terrible delay constantly switching wrong players cant make simple pass shots are either way off or straight at keeper

Its so stupid hey. I would try my phone also, but cant get a good connection in my house.