352 guide - how to have fun in FIFA

greif44
2344 posts Fans' Favourite
edited July 23
I`ve been playing mostly 3 atb formations in FIFA 17, 18 and 19 and I enjoy playing them.
Last year we had very good and informative 3412 thread, but now there are only small pieces of info on these formations. Looks like there are some people that like 3 atb or would like to give them a try. So I decided to share my experience and create this 3 atb thread which I`ll dedicate to 352, but any other 3 atb discussions are welcomed as well.

I`ve seen here many times that people said "3 atb are not viable/competitive/weak defensively etc". Well, I`m very average player and best that I could get in FIFA 19 with 352 is Gold 1 in WL (usually at least G2) and lower D3.
I gotta say, if you play to win at all costs/to grind for rewards, you probably won`t enjoy this formation.

What to expect from 352?

- Great variety of attacking options as you have wingers and CAM
- You have 6 players that can and will score
- Solid defensively as you`ll have 7 players in the box/near the box
- Endless squad building potential
- It might take some time to get used to defending
- If you like to be creative in game and try uncommon things, you`ll have fun with it

Why 352 and not 3412 (or any other 3 atb)?

Most crucial thing in 352 for me - positioning of your CDMs and ability to give them CDM-specific instructions. I just find it better defensively without hurting my attack.
3421 and 343 - CAM is the bridge between your CDMs, wingers and STs. That`s why I like formations with CAM. + same thing about CMs.

How to build the squad?
There is a ton of options, especially with D-pad formation switch. Your key players are LM/RM, one of CDMs and CAM. Yes, imo this formation does not assume having single MVP.

Wingers
First of all you have to decide - will you use your fullbacks or normal wingers? This will determine how you`ll build your team.
Most important parameters are: decent pace, ability to dribble, pass and proper physicality (must be able to win/hold the ball). For some people it might be fun to play with Neymar or Douglas Costa at LM, but defensively they are useless. Good shooting is a nice bonus, but not a must.
Workrates: H/H, M/M, H/M. I avoid any other workrates on my wingers (although currently have prime Figo).
Make sure you have good subs as they`ll die by 55-60 min, you need them to be fresh.

CAM
One of the key players in 352. This guy will coordinate your attacks near opponent`s box. It can be either small player like Mertens/Neymar/Zola or a bigger guy like KDB or Talisca. I used FB Kevin-Prince Boateng for a while. Key parameters - shooting, dribbling, passing. Your CAM might get into scoring position more often than your STs, so shooting is a must. High attacking workrate is preferred.

CDMs
One of your CDMs (rCDM in my team) can be either box to box midfielder or pure CDM. He`ll do the majority of dirty work. Must be able to pass and last for 90 min. H/H, M/H. TOTGS Parolo is still my choice.
left CDM: this is another key player - he`ll provide defensive support, start your attacks and contribute to your scoring. I like to use someone big and tall who can do a bit of everything. Currently it`s UEL SMS, another perfect candidate is Pogba. Maybe some of these new Future Stars cards will work as well.

CBs
Nothing really new here. 80+ pace after chem (although I use SBC Skriniar without boosting his pace), one of CBs can be a smaller guy like Puyol, Cannavaro or Azpilicueta. If you switch from 4 atb in game, you can use one of your midfielders at CB (Fabinho, De Rossi, Partey etc). Central CB can have H/H or H/M as long as you can keep track of where he is, other two should not leave your half of the pitch. LCB and RCB should be able to pass.

STs
Anything that works for you. My favorite combo in 2-ST positions is one big + one agile.

CTs and instructions that I use

I`ll just share the ones that I use although there`s plenty of room for the experiments.
NNNnHjq.png

Explanation of CTs:
I`ve tried various defensive tactics and finally decided to leave default width and depth. If your 352 is too wide or too narrow, that`ll create gaps in CB line - either in the center or on the wings and then it is really easy for your opponent to counter. Balanced seems to be most consistent in a long run. Press on heavy touch will give your players a little bit more time to get back on your half.
Important: my experience shows that constant press is the biggest no-no in 3 atb as it is the easiest way to concede.
I increased width as 352 is a wide formation, so you have to take the advantage of it. I used to play with width set to 10, but 7-8 seems to be a bit more balanced and it is easier to deliver the ball from player to player.
Why I prefer fast build up instead of balanced/possession: imo that`s how you can get the maximum from your wingers. Besides that, I don`t like to spend too much time around opponent`s box as eventually I`ll get exposed to counterattack. For the same reason I don`t like to have too many players in the box - you need some room for build up in midfield and it also keeps you a bit safer. But again, you can experiment with it.

PIs: I`ll just highlight the changes, rest of it is on balanced

STs - stay forward, get in behind
CAM - stay forward, balanced
LM/RM - come back on defense, stay wide, get in behind
rCDM - stay back, cover center, cut passing lanes
lCDM - balanced, cover center, cut passing lanes
CBs - balanced

Instructions on STs and CAM are common.
Come back on defense for LM/RM is a must, otherwise your wings will be open. I prefer them to stay wide as they will return to defense a bit faster.
CDM instructions follow from the description of their roles.
CBs - just let them be

My most recent squad:
I start 4321 to keep everyone on full chem. Figo, Rui Costa and Ibra are newcomers, most of the time I used RTTF Cuadrado, FB Kevin-Prince Boateng and IF Mertens instead of them (now they`re subs).
My other subs: RTTF Perisic, TOTY nominee Vrsaljko, Futmas Lukaku, red Balde Keita
mWZaKQ5.jpg

So, how to use it in game? Well, that depends on the strengths of your team and what you can do with them. As I mentioned, there is a huge variety of attacking options - counterattacks, crossing, build up and I can`t really highlight any mechanics that you can exploit to score on permanent basis. That`s actually why I enjoy 3 atb - it`s very versatile and you have to experiment in every game that you play.

I`ll keep providing updates. Any comments, ideas and suggestions are welcome!
Post edited by greif44 on

Comments

• greif44
    edited April 21
    March 27, 2019:
    I have been experimenting with various CTs and found another ones that worked well for me and helped me to get back to D3. Most of the time I still use the ones in the 1st post, but these also did a great job for my team. I concede a bit more, but looks like I get much more opportunities in the attack.

Defence: 5 width, 5 depth, drop back

Attack: 3 width, 8 depth, fast build-up, corners/fk - 4

PIs: CDMs on stay back (note: might not work with 2 defensive CDMs)
    LM/RM: balanced, get in behind, cut inside
    CAM: stay forward
    STs: both stay forward;

Depending on the type of striker that you have, you can instruct him to stay central/targetman (I use Ibra) or you get in behind (but it must be pacey and agile ST that can get into box from the wing).

April 21. 2019:

Got couple new players and continued experimenting with custom tactics. Just finished in Gold 1 with the following:

biIJkZr.jpg

I changed my play style and started playing with more patience trying to control the ball and have >85% passing accuracy. I still have enough opportunities for counterattacks with these CTs and players that I use.

Player instructions:
    STs: stay central, get in behind, stay forward
    CAM: stay forward, stay on the edge of the box
    LM: basic defence support, stay wide, get in behind, get into the box
    RM: Come back on defense (as my RM has H/L), stay wide, get in behind, get into the box
    Defensive CDM: cut passing lanes, stay back, cover wing
    Offensive CDM: cut passing lanes, balanced attack, cover wing

Current team:
    Start 4321, Florenzi 7 chem, Villa 8 chem
    bnMnAvY.jpg
    Switch to 352:
    J8WWUuZ.jpg
    Post edited by greif44 on
  • tatadwader
    2356 posts Fans' Favourite
    op how are you doing with this formation ig? wL and DR results?
  • tatadwader
    2356 posts Fans' Favourite
    ahh nvmd I just read it. I would take g1 in WL for sure.

I've just tried 532 and really like it for now, but I would love to get back to 352. I'll give it a go.
  • Renamed123456
    3903 posts National Call-Up
    Very very similar to my setup.

Except the CDMs are reversed and one striker is balanced.

Tactics sound similar too, except I used balanced; fast build up for ultra attacking / end of game abuse their tired players.

With ultra attacking my play was usually a dinked diagonal through ball to one of the wings after opponent focussed on my central short passes. Against their tired defense it is ruthless.
  • greif44
    tatadwader wrote: »
    ahh nvmd I just read it. I would take g1 in WL for sure.

I've just tried 532 and really like it for now, but I would love to get back to 352. I'll give it a go.

I like the positioning of the wingers in 352, you get more control in midfield. Maybe 5 atb with high depth performs in the same way, but I don't have an LB that could fit into this manner of play
    Very very similar to my setup.

Except the CDMs are reversed and one striker is balanced.

Tactics sound similar too, except I used balanced; fast build up for ultra attacking / end of game abuse their tired players.

With ultra attacking my play was usually a dinked diagonal through ball to one of the wings after opponent focussed on my central short passes. Against their tired defense it is ruthless.

I have a fullback on the left wing so it's a bit more solid defensively, that's why I have attacking CDM on the same side

Also I don't really use extremely attacking tactics in 3 atb as if things go out of your control, you just get more exposed and vulnerable to counterattacks. I prefer to stay patient and wait for a good scoring opportunity
  • greif44
    If someone is using 3 atb, share your squads and experience in FIFA!
  • Thanks for the write up. Decided to go full Man Utd ‘past and present’ and went 352 purely to fit in a few players - however I am loving it. https://imgur.com/gallery/mORdaIY

First time posting a picture so apologies if above link doesn’t work.

Have c1m coins to spend on upgrades - likely go for the base version of best/Rio or Blanc, although Fellaini is bossing it at both CDM and CB at the moment!
  • greif44
    Thanks for the write up. Decided to go full Man Utd ‘past and present’ and went 352 purely to fit in a few players - however I am loving it. https://imgur.com/gallery/mORdaIY

Have c1m coins to spend on upgrades - likely go for the base version of best/Rio or Blanc, although Fellaini is bossing it at both CDM and CB at the moment!

Nice team, mate! How do you like Scholes at CAM?
  • Lusitania
    333 posts Sunday League Hero
    I was waiting for this! Thank you! I usually play 4-4-1-1 but always have the 3-5-2 in dynamic tactic and can´t resist changing it ingame. It is one of my favourites since ever, even if it doesn´t grant me the best results... but I´m also just an average gold 3/2 player.

Will be following this very close. Gonna start with the settings explained and see how it goes from there.

Cheers!
  • greif44
    Lusitania wrote: »
    I was waiting for this! Thank you! I usually play 4-4-1-1 but always have the 3-5-2 in dynamic tactic and can´t resist changing it ingame. It is one of my favourites since ever, even if it doesn´t grant me the best results... but I´m also just an average gold 3/2 player.

Will be following this very close. Gonna start with the settings explained and see how it goes from there.

Cheers!

good luck mate! Share your team and how you're doing with it!
  • greif44 wrote: »
    Thanks for the write up. Decided to go full Man Utd ‘past and present’ and went 352 purely to fit in a few players - however I am loving it. https://imgur.com/gallery/mORdaIY

Still undecided on Scholes (and Keane tbh), but persevering at the moment due to nostalgic reasons 😁. Since bringing in Ibra and switched to 352 ive tried to slow down the play and not rush an attack, scholes has performed much better; gettint MOTM every second game, primarily through assists. Giggsy was my all time favourite so considering selling Scholes and switching to 3-4-2-1 to have ibra flanked by prime Giggs and 88 Best (leaving pogba and Keane in CM) but can’t bring myself to sell the ginger ninja.
  • Mataay
    550 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Love this, hate the gameplay but used to love playing 3-5-2 thinking about just going back to it to enjoy the game more and to stop give a **** about results in WL.
  • SJR440
    4309 posts National Call-Up
    Bookmarked in case I switch to 352 at some stage, thanks for the guide OP :)
  • greif44
    greif44 wrote: »

Still undecided on Scholes (and Keane tbh), but persevering at the moment due to nostalgic reasons 😁. Since bringing in Ibra and switched to 352 ive tried to slow down the play and not rush an attack, scholes has performed much better; gettint MOTM every second game, primarily through assists. Giggsy was my all time favourite so considering selling Scholes and switching to 3-4-2-1 to have ibra flanked by prime Giggs and 88 Best (leaving pogba and Keane in CM) but can’t bring myself to sell the ginger ninja.

Giggs was a great player irl but his card.. Yeah, I`d use him only due to some nostalgy :D
    88 Best should be great at CAM or ST!
    Mataay wrote: »
    Love this, hate the gameplay but used to love playing 3-5-2 thinking about just going back to it to enjoy the game more and to stop give a **** about results in WL.
    SJR440 wrote: »
    Bookmarked in case I switch to 352 at some stage, thanks for the guide OP :)

Give it a try, mates!
  • Safehands84
    3352 posts National Call-Up
    Nice guide mate. I love using wide formations only touched 352 briefly this year but have 3412 constant pressure as my all out attack when chasing a game.

Currently playing well with 4411 but once I start a bad run of games I’ll be giving this a go.
  • Hulkmodus
    1320 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nice work mate. Bookmarked!

I am currently running this setup ingame:

screenshot_20190123_083614_com.jpg

I just love the variation in my offensive play.
  • greif44
    Hulkmodus wrote: »

Very nice looking team, especially that attacking trio!
    Thought about that Florenzi but just can't get rid of Cancelo.
    Why do you have Telles at RM? He's left-footed, isn't he?
    Nice guide mate. I love using wide formations only touched 352 briefly this year but have 3412 constant pressure as my all out attack when chasing a game.

Currently playing well with 4411 but once I start a bad run of games I’ll be giving this a go.

4411 is my go-to formation if I'm matched against very sweaty 4231 or 41212(2). It's just bound to one of the tactics for this squad B)
  • AdamH
    881 posts Semi-Pro
    Going to give this a go, love 352 but haven’t given it much of a go this year.

How would TOTY nominee Vrsalko and Alex Sandro do at RM/LM?
  • crackers07
    1023 posts Professional
    Dont really enjoy 352 but 3421 is so fun to play. I switch to it in game sometimes and it is very enjoyable. Really turned some games round using it. At same time its cost me some hammerings too.
  • Hulkmodus
    1320 posts Play-Off Hero
    greif44 wrote: »
    Hulkmodus wrote: »

Very nice looking team, especially that attacking trio!
    Thought about that Florenzi but just can't get rid of Cancelo.
    Why do you have Telles at RM? He's left-footed, isn't he?

4411 is my go-to formation if I'm matched against very sweaty 4231 or 41212(2). It's just bound to one of the tactics for this squad B)

I use him on this side to cut inside.
    If I bring ibra in the 60th I switch florenzi and telles again for the crosses.

That florenzi is great for me. Way better than telles on the other side.
  • Dolly_2006_
    133 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    [img][/img]ezk80o.png
    This is my main team, put pogba to cdm, Rashford up top and rivaldo as cam
  • Dolly_2006_
    [img][/img]2s8im8k.png
    This is my second team I run, I love playing 3-5-2, concede a few but always seem to score a fair bit
  • Hulkmodus
    1320 posts Play-Off Hero
    [img][/img]ezk80o.png
    This is my main team, put pogba to cdm, Rashford up top and rivaldo as cam

Why don't you put hazard as cam?
    He was immense for me as cam
  • Dolly_2006_
    Yeh I have used him there previously but rivaldo’s work rates ain’t suited to lm, plus he has been quality for me there
  • LJC18
    104 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Yeah love this formation mate. Offers a bit of everything, takes a while to get used to it but once you do there’s no other formation that gives you this kind of balance between defense and attack.
  • Yesterday i decided to try 352 .
    Only did few games but it was fun. I will try your custom tactics. I'm not a big fan of fast build up but it should works in this formation

Here is my team

2i1jz1u.jpg

Not sure about Veron
  • Nice guide.

I haven't tried it this year but it used to be my formation back when player formation cards were still a thing. My fondest FUT memories are from using this formation.

Only came up against it once online this year and they completely shut me down.
  • Hulkmodus
    1320 posts Play-Off Hero
    Niepsss wrote: »
    Yesterday i decided to try 352 .
    Only did few games but it was fun. I will try your custom tactics. I'm not a big fan of fast build up but it should works in this formation

Here is my team

2i1jz1u.jpg

Not sure about Veron

How is militao for you?
    I tried him but I didn't like his positioning.
  • gresh1978
    2458 posts Fans' Favourite
    How would you finish or change this to suit?
    e35MB9l.jpg

I have Flashback Ibra on bench to come on for Flashback Hernandez which will give me the tall and quick partnership.
  • Hulkmodus wrote: »
    Niepsss wrote: »
    Yesterday i decided to try 352 .

Here is my team

2i1jz1u.jpg

Not sure about Veron

How is militao for you?
    I tried him but I didn't like his positioning.

He is good but not great . I don't feel the 89 Pace and 90PHY. But he is still a very good defender