The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Is this game more about skill or luck?

RichieDaSavage
1747 posts Play-Off Hero

The reason I ask this is because I have too many games where I concede some very undeserved goals, where my passes just go astray and I'm hanging on for dear life.

A lot of the time I dominate games and I prevent my opponents from having any shots then all of a sudden I keep hitting the post and after my defender will trip over putting my opponent through for his only chance and it will go in.

Comments

• JohnChelle
    6836 posts Big Money Move
    Both, but like ( I think tiger woods said) the more I practice the luckier I get
  • Kiid
    2531 posts Fans' Favourite
    90% skill, 5% team, 5% luck
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    Kiid wrote: »
    90% skill, 5% team, 5% luck
    Imo, it's its 50% skill and 50% luck if your in D1-D2. I've had loads of games where I'm creating chance after chance then in the 80th min a lobbed through ball will be played and it will look like I'm about to win the ball but I get barged over by Ronaldo or my defender completely misses the ball putting the striker on goal for their only chance making it 1-0 to my opponent. I even feel as if finishing is down to luck more often than not because I have games where I only have 1 ir 2 shots on target and they go in from the same position and they go in but when I have 10 -15 shots they will all hit the keeper and I end up hitting the post a couple times.
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    JohnChelle wrote: »
    Both, but like ( I think tiger woods said) the more I practice the luckier I get

Good point although, I've never really felt lucky in a lot of games due to the fact I try to be the player that controls the game.
  • JohnChelle
    6836 posts Big Money Move

Good point although, I've never really felt lucky in a lot of games due to the fact I try to be the player that controls the game.

I think yiu won't notice good luck as much as you do bad luck , like you say if you try to control the game via possession in the final third some passes will be lucky to get through , but you made your own luck by the decision to play the pass and the choice of player you use to make the pass
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something

This is a really good way of looking at it. This kind of nonsense happens to everyone, thanks to bad programming. I don't think it's ever supposed to favour one side or the other, but just by law of averages you will get games where everything goes against you. I guess the very best players still manage to overcome it somehow - I've no idea how though. It often feels like you're battling against your opponent and battling against the game itself at the same time.
  • Simmo
    3687 posts National Call-Up
    A bit of both
  • Oktagon
    287 posts Sunday League Hero
    It's like a game of poker. You have to play with the hands you're dealt, but good players always know how to get the best result out of each situation.
  • Kiid
    Oktagon wrote: »
    It's like a game of poker. You have to play with the hands you're dealt, but good players always know how to get the best result out of each situation.

This is why I say it's 90% skill, the difference between a good and an average player are the choices they make. You make your own 'luck'
  • Orikoru

This is why I say it's 90% skill, the difference between a good and an average player are the choices they make. You make your own 'luck'

You can't choose for your keeper to not miss the ball though. You can't choose for the referee to get the decisions correct.
  • Oktagon
    287 posts Sunday League Hero
    Orikoru wrote: »

You can't choose for your keeper to not miss the ball though. You can't choose for the referee to get the decisions correct.

If your keeper missed the ball, it means your opponent was already past your defense. An opponent can't foul you if he can't get near you. Make your own luck.
  • Kiid

Fifa is a chain of events
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero

But at the same time, I've faced loads of opponents who play really bad but and up getting lucky with one chance. If your the one on the front foot creating the chances, then yeah fair enough you'll eventually get a lucky moment by carrying kn creating those chances but it happens too often when playing poorly gets you three points. I remember I was really bored and ended up going all out attack on Fifa using Real on seasons and I won 3 games in a row in the 90th mins and I performed very poorly and all those goals where rsome of the very few chances I got in the three games and I easily wkn D1 playing like. I've always found D1 very tough and I drop at least two points even when playing well but I was at my worst in a very long time.
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    If I wanted to I could easily use Ronaldo every game and score from the halfway line with Ronaldo but then its unfair for my opponent and they had no involvement at all.
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero

If your keeper missed the ball, it means your opponent was already past your defense. An opponent can't foul you if he can't get near you. Make your own luck.
    There will always be a player near you, its apart of football. And with the high pressure its easy to get involved in a physical battle.

• jbwalton7
    1026 posts Professional
    It seems to me that its a battle of who can abuse the flaws and glitches the most
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    jbwalton7 wrote: »
    It seems to me that its a battle of who can abuse the flaws and glitches the most

This.
  • Orikoru

There will always be a player near you, its apart of football. And with the high pressure its easy to get involved in a physical battle.

Yeah, and my point about refereeing decisions was more about when I make a perfect tackle and it's given as a penalty or free kick. What are you supposed to do then? Not tackle them and hope they make an error?
  • jbwalton7 wrote: »

on old gen there is noting to abuse like near post , but then there is always players staring to the ball , the ball just hits the player head , when i pass to gk my gk messes up in his own foot
  • AFWard
    911 posts Semi-Pro

It was actually Gary Player who said this.
    He won a stream of tournaments back in the day, including majors and some other golfer accused him of being the luckiest golfer he had ever known, hence Players response.

• DunB
    863 posts Semi-Pro
    jbwalton7 wrote: »
    This.
  • dannyboy
    12866 posts Has That Special Something
    It's 10% luck.
  • Keano16
    680 posts Sunday League Hero
    EA lag plays a huge part
  • HolgerBadstuber
    5212 posts Big Money Move
    You make your own luck.
  • jbunnerz
    1291 posts Professional
    Varies game to game some games you just 100% luck. My last game conceded 2 goals with 2 double deflections and they were the only 2 shots on target.
  • RichieDaSavage
    1747 posts Play-Off Hero
    Also, this is actually the first year I've seen so many average players in the top divisions and the reason I say that is because a lot of my opponents don't know how to play proper football, they just get a lucky moment from their only chance.
  • iSiemen
    137 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited June 2015
    I recognize the frustration in your video, lol. Especially this kind of ❤️❤️❤️❤️:

57fb4cf18a39d0e26f06dfad5dbb5c79.gif

Selection system is so ❤️❤️❤️❤️ this year.
  • jfc
    1033 posts Professional
    it`s about who gets less bugs/glitches when playing, then you get to be a winner in this game
  • Craggus
    465 posts Sunday League Hero
    Neither.

TOTS Kroos outpacing 80+ pace players with more strength than him...

Reus out jumping TOTS Chiellini...

Random as f.
  • Marleigh
    2215 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited June 2015
    If it was significantly about luck then you wouldn't have people being able to maintain high win %

If all it takes to win/lose is one piece of luck either way then you're probably not as good as you think you are and the other player probably isn't as bad as you think he is.