Can I get good at this game? - Perhaps the end?

Alex_cr
4847 posts Big Money Move
edited February 24
So this is inspired by @GetDefoeKuyt and his gold 2 heroics with a silver team and then achieving the same with an expensively assembled squad - just how hard is it to break out of your level at weekend league?

For the next few weeks I will be immersing myself and indeed embracing all that is FIFA 19 in an effort to break out of my level and actually achieve some progression in this game. The mission has already started and is off to a good start!

So first the background. I’ve been no higher than gold 3 and Division 5 since the start of this incarnation. Part of this is down to ability or lack there of and part is down to stubbornness in not using the ‘meta’ (hate that term) playstyle and players and probably most importantly not having learnt timed finesse! Well that’s all about to change.

So the first change had to be formation. Gone is the 433 replaced with 41212 diamond. Unfortunately I destroyed my club and coin total in upgrade packs so my team currently looks like this;

iggv40.png

I have an idea of where I will go with it in the coming weeks and it shouldn’t take too long to achieve. The change of formation and beginning to learn timed finesse has yielded instant results with promotion to division 4 this evening.

In the coming weeks I’m going to be doing everything I can to try and up my level and the ultimate aim is to get to gold 1 in WL. My plan is to complete all training exercises, implement the OP skill moves into my game and watch as many YouTube videos as downtime at work allows! (I don’t do YouTube so never watched a single guide previously) - basically any tool I can to try and move forward!

Sorry for the long post. I hope some of you fancy coming along on the journey and any tips are appreciated, along with advice on content creators that can help. Also if anyone fancies a game no matter what level to point out my weaknesses all of this will be appreciated. Let the challenge begin!
Post edited by Alex_cr on

Comments

• Empyrium7
    2763 posts Fans' Favourite
    Good luck 👍🏻
  • Ishibum
    12267 posts Has That Special Something
    Suerte.

How is Rooney btw?
  • Safk001
    812 posts Semi-Pro
    Good luck mate 👍
  • GetDefoeKuyt
    1180 posts Professional
    This is great, good luck mate!
  • Tomashy300
    170 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I’ve tried this and the game doesn’t let you mate it doesn’t matter what you do it’s your frustration most of the time and those dreadful laggy games where you can literally play forever and your not scoring
  • azza452
    832 posts Semi-Pro
    I have improved since the start of the game but only a little (probably because of better team)

Though I suppose watching how a lot of pros play, learning skill moves, different shots etc... Can only make you better
  • JURITO1000
    1661 posts Play-Off Hero
    I learned the skill moves but when the game is delayed (90%) the skill moves just make it worst because im loosing the ball due to unresponsive moves....
  • BiigDee
    4332 posts National Call-Up
    Sod the scummy playstyle. Play it your way pal. For what it’s worth I gave the timed finishing a go and found them still being saved... and Blocked. You will become so reliable on that play style but what if the change it? I’ve learnt various new skill moves to help me progress but they bloody work when they want to. It’s hard to get better when so much is stacked against you.
  • Alex_cr
    Tomashy300 wrote: »
    I’ve tried this and the game doesn’t let you mate it doesn’t matter what you do it’s your frustration most of the time and those dreadful laggy games where you can literally play forever and your not scoring

This is what I expect the outcome to be but thought it’d be a bit of fun!
  • Alex_cr
    BiigDee wrote: »
    Sod the scummy playstyle. Play it your way pal. For what it’s worth I gave the timed finishing a go and found them still being saved... and Blocked. You will become so reliable on that play style but what if the change it? I’ve learnt various new skill moves to help me progress but they bloody work when they want to. It’s hard to get better when so much is stacked against you.

Trust me, this is a temporary measure! I’ll go back to how I was playing.
  • Alex_cr
    Ishibum wrote: »
    Suerte.

How is Rooney btw?

I love Rooney. He’s an absolute bulldog of a player. I’ve used him for over 300 games but mostly in a holding role. He will be going though when I have the coins required. I’d expect that to be in a couple of weeks but may happen Thursday depending on rewards.
  • alvchong
    943 posts Professional
    I played and learn my own style, slow improvement compare to people who watch YouTuber, which mostly exploits the game design. Is up to u.
  • nextqprmanager
    3324 posts National Call-Up
    Alex_cr GL, I`ll be following / supporting
    Neal Guides on YT is a good watch with tips - he does not like the `meta` etc. but he will show you how to win!
    Finesse away !
  • Alex_cr
    Alex_cr GL, I`ll be following / supporting
    Neal Guides on YT is a good watch with tips - he does not like the `meta` etc. but he will show you how to win!
    Finesse away !

Cheers mate. I’ll give him a look this evening. 👍
  • Alex_cr
    alvchong wrote: »
    I played and learn my own style, slow improvement compare to people who watch YouTuber, which mostly exploits the game design. Is up to u.

Yeah, definitely the best way to play. Just trying something different. I certainly won’t be committing full time to it. Since I started I’ve had less possession than I’ve ever previously experienced and it feels extremely frantic. Conversely though results have never been better. The test of course starts for real on Friday!
  • EA_Andy
    3148 posts EA Community Manager
    Good luck with this @Alex_cr - good to see someone actively looking at how they can change their playstyle / tactics to improve their performance.

I'm a big fan of 41212(2) - have been for a while (although all the moderators keep telling me 4231 is where it's at these days).
  • Alex_cr
    This is great, good luck mate!

Appreciate it mate. Are you streaming again this weekend?
  • Jonboyparker
    5277 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 16
    I’ve been playing and improving. Learning what the opposition does in game has been a big factor for me and changing my tackics to counter it. Lots of people are one dimensional. I have an avaerage team (better than he above but no god squad) and I’ve moved to Gold 2 with games remaining. Aiming for gold 1 if I play all my games.

Good luck this weekend. I honestly believe it is possible but you need to learn tactics and keep calm more than anything else
  • I SiR MartY I
    5456 posts Big Money Move
    The only warning I've got against learning the most OP ways to win is that eventually they will be patched or ways to defend them will be found.

Apparently timed finesse is getting patched next patch, its like EA's 4th attempt at fixing it but at some point they're either going to tone it down or break it, so if you put time in and only score with them, you're going to be left with no way to score.

Learn more than exploits, have a plan B.
  • FCBlunt
    1970 posts Fans' Favourite
    Going meta doesnt mean going good.

If you got a style that works for you, add to it and make it better instead.

Good luck though, mate.
  • Alex_cr
    edited January 16
    alvchong wrote: »

Yeah, definitely the best way to play. Just trying something different. I certainly won’t be committing full time!
  • Alex_cr
    FCBlunt wrote: »
    Going meta doesnt mean going good.

If you got a style that works for you, add to it and make it better instead.

Good luck though, mate.

Totally agree. This is purely an experiment to see if I can climb a ladder. It’s not my intention to play the game long term in any other way than my own.
  • Alex_cr
    So a little bit of an update. Due to the unfortunate passing of my Daughters kitten instead of devoting all my time to FIFA I have in fact not so much as loaded it up!

This has resulted in 2 things. Firstly, I’ve not played. Perhaps more importantly though I have not been very active in the market. Made a killing on Vinícius but my coin balance was so low I’m still only at about 250k after rewards - most of which is currently invested. Looks like I’m going in this weekend with the team as above 😂
  • nextqprmanager
    3324 posts National Call-Up
    Alex_cr wrote: »
    So a little bit of an update. Due to the unfortunate passing of my Daughters kitten instead of devoting all my time to FIFA I have in fact not so much as loaded it up!

This has resulted in 2 things. Firstly, I’ve not played. Perhaps more importantly though I have not been very active in the market. Made a killing on Vinícius but my coin balance was so low I’m still only at about 250k after rewards - most of which is currently invested. Looks like I’m going in this weekend with the team as above 😂

oh dear, life gets in the way - GL
  • Alex_cr
    Alex_cr wrote: »

oh dear, life gets in the way - GL

Yeah unfortunately it does. Also - as I’ve found out, it’s absolutely brutal when your child’s pet dies. Not been a happy couple of days!
  • AFC_95
    8828 posts League Winner
    Do you abuse broken game mechanics? I dont, it's hard to get good at FIFA. But my advice, is build a team of players you like irl, makes the game fun. Then be patient in your build up, don't let the game anger you and if you do feel yourself getting angry then give yourself a break.

Turn of the commentary, and play music, or turn them to a language you do not understand. Play around with CT until you find ones that work for you and have dynamic tactics ready so you can change formation at any point depending on how the game is going.
  • Alex_cr
    AFC_95 wrote: »
    Do you abuse broken game mechanics? I dont, it's hard to get good at FIFA. But my advice, is build a team of players you like irl, makes the game fun. Then be patient in your build up, don't let the game anger you and if you do feel yourself getting angry then give yourself a break.

Turn of the commentary, and play music, or turn them to a language you do not understand. Play around with CT until you find ones that work for you and have dynamic tactics ready so you can change formation at any point depending on how the game is going.

These are all things that I standardly do. This is purely just an experiment that I’ll be doing for a month or 2.
  • For YT videos you can watch the Guide and boraslegend I think they are the most respectable and professional as you can get atm.
    There is a vid on ball contacts and passing angles that helped me understand gameplay mechanics a bit better.
  • BSDShoes
    1601 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited January 17
    I'm not that good with this game this year, some formations I like to use are useless in rivals (like 451 or 5212 or etc) and I like to manually defend which doesn't work well, also I turned off timed finesse as that is a dumb mechanic but I think I'm holding myself back by not using it. I just basically stopped playing online anyways. I was easily div 5-3 in FIFA 15 and 17, can barely get a win in div 7-6 (was div 5 at the start) in FIFA 19.

Also I play without sound, or at least I always turn off commentary and turn down crowd volume a bit in every sports game.
  • Alex_cr
    Alright so we’re at the weekend league. I managed to get some game time last night after the previously mentioned issues over the week. I had a long hard look at my team and realised there’s 2 players that let this team down. Firstly - Casillas. Not really a surprise. But secondly - and I hate to admit it, but Josef. Yeah he gets goals but I also lose possession far too much with him. So I raised some funds and bought Handanovic who for me is the best keeper I’ve used this year.

There’s also been a formation change. I’m going with the one everyone loves to hate. Yes it’s the 4231. Here’s the team

30vdgfo.jpg

It’s obvious to see this team lacks pace and should my investments come in today I’ll be adding some. The plan is Dybala for SMS and Tevez for Ibra. I love Ibra but Tevez just feels a better fit than Ibra in this formation.

I actually don’t think pace is too important this year. I think a lot of people are using it as a hangover from 17 and 18 and if the game continues in this manner moving forward (those left playing 😂) will put less of a premium on it - we’ll see.

One thing about this team - Perreira. That guy is there on merit, not just because I’m skint! He is an absolute brute of a CDM. If you’re working on a budget or just feel like trying something different, give him a go.