Would you prefer DLC, instead of the market, when buying Icons and TOTY?

RexAnglo1066
193 posts Has Potential To Be Special
edited January 15
(amended thread title)

So, I touched upon it another comment, and I'd be interested to see what people thought.

Let's say that, instead of the current system of buying packs and getting a randomised reward, you could simply buy that Icon, or that TOTY Ronaldo/Mbappe etc...in the way you do conventional DLC.
Racing games have sold cars, tracks, manufacturer packs etc...for years.
Same with map packs, season passes, and gun skins in games like CS:GO, all of which sell for real world money and exist external from any marketplace that may be in game.

You would not have to waste money on Fifa points (which is probably one of the reasons it won't happen) and feel cheated anymore, becoming frustrated at pathetic packs full of useless 77 rated dross.
Rather, you would go to the DLC market and look for that player, see the price, decide if its worth it to you, and then you'd make an informed purchase.
You'd know what you were getting, and you could enjoy the player you wanted.

Of course, it's pay to win.
Then again, at the moment we have "pay to maybe win, but likely not".
This would stop all that annoying stuff and allow you to do what you would do in any other free market situation; meaning, you buy what you want.
Not roll a dice and maybe get what you want but chances are you don't.

As far as how much they would charge, well it's E.A, so likely on the high end.

But even so, spending £10 (€/$10) to buy Pele, rather than £100 to get 77 Troy Deeney and 64 other useless cards, has to be better for the consumer?
If you are one of those making a conscious decision to not buy points on principle, this might persuade you to do so; which means money that previously would never have been spent.
These cards would all be unsellable/untradeable, so as to ensure the market is affected too much for those that want to maintain their trading routine, or buy cheaper players, or offload unwanted pack rewards etc...

Yes, the Icon market may suffer, and more players would have them...but so what?

Is giving more people a chance to use end game players such a terrible thing?

In closing, is this unworkable?

Do you feel it could have unforeseen implications?

Would you buy if it did exist, where previously you refused to spend money?

Does it even matter to you to have access to those end game players?

Is it just another way to screw the consumer?

I'd genuinely be interested to hear what everyone thinks.
Post edited by RexAnglo1066 on

Comments

• AFC_95
    8729 posts League Winner
    edited January 15
    All I'd be worried about is how much EA would charge for these players. They charge £20 for a 125k pack. Ronaldo is 2.3m on playstation. Using the £20 for a 125k, that means CR7 would cost £368...but they'd say actually getting the player should cost more than a lucky dip pack. So he'd probably be at least £500.

• AFC_95
    8729 posts League Winner
    Sounds good until Prime Pele is at the low price of £9,999

And people would actually pay that.
  • GetDefoeKuyt
    1180 posts Professional
    At £10 for a top player it’s pointless, everyone would have the best team possible before the first WL. It’d make all rewards redundant
  • RexAnglo1066

lol...I don't know about that much.

Remember, these would be fixed prices on an E.A market that would be unsellable/untradeable.

That would, hopefully, keep it from creating too much stress on the in game transfer market.
  • Fab
    17513 posts World Class
    Hell no, Rex! You off the bath salts again??
  • GetDefoeKuyt
    1180 posts Professional
    AFC_95 wrote: »

Honestly mate, I don’t doubt it for 1 second.

Then there’s me with my 76 rated gold team as I refuse to spend more than the actual disc is on Fifa

• RexAnglo1066
    At £10 for a top player it’s pointless, everyone would have the best team possible before the first WL. It’d make all rewards redundant

Maybe, but maybe not.

Perhaps, as a suggestion, you are limited to 2 or 3 purchases.

• AFC_95
    8729 posts League Winner

Honestly mate, I don’t doubt it for 1 second.

Then there’s me with my 76 rated gold team as I refuse to spend more than the actual disc is on Fifa

Yup. Same. I have a 750k team, which is decent for a RTG. I can't bring myself to spend on FP. One, the game is trash, and two they treated me like crap when I was hacked and I had spent FP (in FIFA 13). Joke of a company.
  • GetDefoeKuyt
    1180 posts Professional

lol...I don't know about that much.

Remember, these would be fixed prices on an E.A market that would be unsellable/untradeable.

That would, hopefully, keep it from creating too much stress on the in game transfer market.

How much do you propose Prime R9 would be?
  • McLaughlan_26
    483 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited January 15
    No

Everyone would have end game teams on day 1, I don't spend money because imo the fun is in the grind. At least with how it is right now not everyone has the kind of money to get god squads

IMO it was better before fifa points when UT was a paid for DLC
  • Raider
    2964 posts National Call-Up
    the idea of changing the system is great, however the execution isnt because as the above stated the prices would be stupidly crazy and as we know EA will never do anything for the customers, they will first make sure they made their riches sucked from us
  • RexAnglo1066
    Fab wrote: »
    Hell no, Rex! You off the bath salts again??

lol...no, mate.

I'm genuinely curious as to whether it is viable.
  • sonnyfilth
    3742 posts National Call-Up

Maybe, but maybe not.

What do you mean maybe not

People spend $1,000 on random packs like it's nothing

If an elite player is $10 then everyone will have them on day 1

The current system is fine

Anyone who says otherwise has a gambling problem/addiction, if you can't get it through your head that it's a 0.00001% chance then don't do it, the game has countless ways to generate coins without spending $
  • GetDefoeKuyt
    1180 posts Professional
    edited January 15
    sonnyfilth wrote: »

Maybe, but maybe not.

Anyone who says otherwise has a gambling problem/addiction, if you can't get it through your head that it's a 0.00001% chance then don't do it, the game has countless ways to generate coins without spending $

I assure you the current system is not “fine”

But I also don’t see a DLC version working. For me it should be games/wins

1000th game in WL... here’s a Prime R9
  • RexAnglo1066
    All I'd be worried about is how much EA would charge for these players. They charge £20 for a 125k pack. Ronaldo is 2.3m on playstation. Using the £20 for a 125k, that means CR7 would cost £368...but they'd say actually getting the player should cost more than a lucky dip pack. So he'd probably be at least £500.

Obviously, if it is to be workable, the prices have to be realistic.
    Personally, I think £10 is excessive.
    But if it's limited to 3 purchases per player, and is relatively cheap, it might not be too damaging to the transfer market.

Remember, people waste a hell of a lot of points.

A 10er, by comparison, is peanuts.
  • Sterve
    389 posts Sunday League Hero
    One problem is most people continue to play this game due to loving/being addicted to opening packs. Similar to slot machines. Zombies doing whatever for the next pack. Actually paying money takes away the thrill which ultimately is what it is all about. This game is not hugely successful due to football simulation. It is pack opening 100%. Of course there are exceptions but what u suggest would cost ea millions of dollars and damage the psychology of opening packs.
  • GetDefoeKuyt
    1180 posts Professional

Obviously, if it is to be workable, the prices have to be realistic.
    Personally, I think £10 is excessive.
    But if it's limited to 3 purchases per player, and is relatively cheap, it might not be too damaging to the transfer market.

Remember, people waste a hell of a lot of points.

A 10er, by comparison, is peanuts.

EA make too much to give players like that away for £10.. untradable or not mate

• McLaughlan_26
    483 posts Sunday League Hero
    Bottom line is either way, EA would lose way too much money, won't happen
  • AFC_95
    8729 posts League Winner

Maybe, but maybe not.

EA wouldn't do that. That would make them lose lots of revenue.
  • RexAnglo1066
    edited January 15

Maybe, but maybe not.

No, everyone will, at best, have 2 or 3, if you limit it, and even then that's if the decide to spend 30 or 40 quid to buy them.

There are, what, at least 20 players that are top, top drawer that people would look to buy.

But you can only buy 2, or 3, max.

Listen, I'm not saying yes foolproof, or even preferable; I'm asking what people think.
  • TW1103
    551 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I think what they should do, is just sell coins instead of point. Say you get 10k for £1... It's going to cost you £650 to get R9, but all of a sudden, it makes, say, IF Arnautovic just £5-10 rather than pissing it all on FPs
  • Theomanny
    1185 posts Professional
    I like the idea of making them untradeable though. Market balance can work around it but players like Ronaldo should be expensive like from £300-£400 including icons. Anyone? The thing someone like me don’t want all icon or super op team. I’d take a Ronaldo striker, Ferdinand and a cdm icon for the rest of the game and just surround them with gold and if players.
  • AFC_95
    8729 posts League Winner
    Theomanny wrote: »
    I like the idea of making them untradeable though. Market balance can work around it but players like Ronaldo should be expensive like from £300-£400 including icons. Anyone? The thing someone like me don’t want all icon or super op team. I’d take a Ronaldo striker, Ferdinand and a cdm icon for the rest of the game and just surround them with gold and if players.

£400? That's mental for an untradable Ronaldo.
  • RexAnglo1066

Exactly, mate.

There are more than enough top tier players that it wouldn't be the same 2 or 3 (can't decide on a limit) on every team.

Plus, even if it was, isn't that what we see now in pro tournaments and WL?

Everyone used Gullit and Viera, Fat Ron and Pele etc...all this would do is take the random element away and give those people who have neither the time, or sanity, to grind or pump money into points, to make a simple purchase.
  • AFC_95
    8729 posts League Winner

Exactly, mate.

There are more than enough top tier players that it wouldn't be the same 2 or 3 (can't decide on a limit) on every team.

Plus, even if it was, isn't that what we see now in pro tournaments and WL?

Everyone used Gullit and Viera, Fat Ron and Pele etc...all this would do is take the random element away and give those people who have neither the time, or sanity, to grind or pump money into points, to make a simple purchase.

We need an icon/elite card cap in WL. It doesn't show skill when someone has full icon and TOTY Ronaldo, nor is it fun to come up against these teams. EA need to start making WL fair for everyone.
  • RexAnglo1066

£400? That's mental for an untradable Ronaldo.

I think anything even approaching 400 is absurd.

Remember, these are untradeable and are not controlled or influenced by player interference and market manipulation.

They are the same price today, as they are tomorrow, as they will be next week.
  • sonnyfilth

Maybe, but maybe not.

No, everyone will, at best, have 2 or 3, if you limit it, and even then that's if the decide to spend 30 or 40 quid to buy them.

There are, what, at least 20 players that are top, top drawer that people would look to buy.

But you can only buy 2, or 3, max.

Listen, I'm not saying yes foolproof, or even preferable; I'm asking what people think.

You titled it as "dlc INSTEAD of market"

Then you say they're untradeables

Then you say there's a limit

Atm the worst player can get a full gold meta team with the worst/most average of pack luck if they grind out their weekly games

If you don't want to grind out your weekly games, you don't deserve rewards, that defeats the point of it being a REWARD, so all the casuals who want to play 5 games a week but have TOTY teams can F right off with that lack of logic

I don't want everyone have a TOTY team for $50

I don't want everyone having the same 3 end game players for $20 if there's a limit

Pack weight should be low, trading works, investing works, reward system is good

Buying FP is a LUXURY, it should remain that way

Untradeable pack weights are so high as well that if you don't like buying players/etc off the market and just want to do SBC's and recycle through upgrades/etc then you can pick untradeables for DR

I see no benefit other than entitled people complaining they don't have TOTY teams from their $100 and crying about pack weight when EA TELL YOU THAT IT'S 0.01% getting what they want
  • madwullie
    2835 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yeah 10 notes is ridiculously low. For this to even be an option for EA you'd be looking at in excess of 200 notes, maybe more, for one card. Otherwise they are just throwing away money which I personally wouldn't do and I can't imagine a global company like EA would see as sound business sense.
  • sonnyfilth

Maybe, but maybe not.

I assure you the current system is not “fine”

But I also don’t see a DLC version working. For me it should be games/wins

1000th game in WL... here’s a Prime R9

I agree a long term reward system would be a nice addition, but there's already so many rewards in place that it would need an over haul

I'm not against "After 100 Champs wins have an untradeable icon pack"

Now THAT makes sense and is a good idea