Off-Topic / Real Football changes

Comments

• ScruffyDogBurger
    2934 posts Fans' Favourite
    Put the real-life football thread back in the xbox forum.
  • Knowlesdinho
    9172 posts League Winner

They want to kill the forum mate.

Pointless moan threads = good thread

Thread that community likes = bad thread
  • Antparry92
    16924 posts World Class

Nail on the head pal. There’s no talking to them. They put up with what they want. Prime example is the prem fantasy footy thread...perfectly fine and they thought so to the point they stickied it. Me and a bunch from the MLS lounge run a MLS fantasy league and asked if we could make a thread to keep our main thread from being cluttered and were told no :joy:
  • EA_Andy
    2585 posts EA Community Manager
    Antparry92 wrote: »

Nail on the head pal. There’s no talking to them. They put up with what they want. Prime example is the prem fantasy footy thread...perfectly fine and they thought so to the point they stickied it. Me and a bunch from the MLS lounge run a MLS fantasy league and asked if we could make a thread to keep our main thread from being cluttered and were told no :joy:

You can make a MLS thread in the off-topic section. Don't see any issues with that.
  • Hippyboy6
    16836 posts World Class
    The thread in Xbox section has been closed for comments & all the comments removed...... Even though it explained where the real football thread had gone. Definitely trying to kill off that thread & hopefully remove some of the older, longer serving forumers. I guess they want new blood in with less knowledge of how to gain coins by trading to encourage FP purchases.

I know that sounds cynical but I can't see any other reason to move the real football thread, a lot of that is discussing in form players for TOTW. It'll be interesting to see if further down the line you are actually allowed to discuss RL performances of players as it'll be deemed OT now & against forum rules.
  • Antparry92
    16924 posts World Class
    EA_Andy wrote: »

You can make a MLS thread in the off-topic section. Don't see any issues with that.

This was previously when everything was in GD etc. The prem lounge and prem fantasy lounge we’re both in GD which was fair enough...we had the MLS lounge in there and asked if we could make a MLS version of the fantasy lounge were told no, and then when we preceded to make one anyway it was removed...no issue though? :joy:
  • Hippyboy6
    16836 posts World Class

The traffic there is really low, pointless posting anything in there. Guess that's the whole point though. It'll certainly help to break up the Xbox forum
  • Hippyboy6
    16836 posts World Class

This was previously when everything was in GD etc. The prem lounge and prem fantasy lounge we’re both in GD which was fair enough...we had the MLS lounge in there and asked if we could make a MLS version of the fantasy lounge were told no, and then when we preceded to make one anyway it was removed...no issue though? :joy:

There was an issue then as it was in a busy place where people saw it, tucked away where no-one sees it will allow it to die & they can claim they allowed it but it wasn't popular.
  • Antparry92
    16924 posts World Class
    Hippyboy6 wrote: »

There was an issue then as it was in a busy place where people saw it, tucked away where no-one sees it will allow it to die & they can claim they allowed it but it wasn't popular.

Yet they happily allowed the prem version to have a sticky!! Absolute shambles :joy:
  • EA_Andy

Can't comment on something that happened before, not really aware of it. Just saying what you can do now.
  • EA_Andy

The traffic there is really low, pointless posting anything in there. Guess that's the whole point though. It'll certainly help to break up the Xbox forum

The conspiracy theories are all well and good but the idea that we're trying to stop people posting or close the forums is absolutely not true.

If traffic is low is there perhaps a chance that it's because people mostly come to the forum to talk about FIFA?

We haven't stopped these discussions, simply moved them to a different forum. You are still free to talk about them.
  • Antparry92
    16924 posts World Class

The conspiracy theories are all well and good but the idea that we're trying to stop people posting or close the forums is absolutely not true.

If traffic is low is there perhaps a chance that it's because people mostly come to the forum to talk about FIFA?

We haven't stopped these discussions, simply moved them to a different forum. You are still free to talk about them.

Come to the forum to talk about Fifa? I think you’ll find that general football chat is the main reason with actual UT talk second. People talk with like minded individuals who enjoy football. You can clearly see the fuss it’s kicked up yet you go ahead with it.

The logic you have is laughable as well....let’s put said thread in a quiet place...then when no one goes to it state that it clearly wasn’t a well used thread :joy:
  • Hippyboy6
    16836 posts World Class

I think you'll be hard pushed to claim the real football thread was not popular, how many views/comments are there? Possibly one of the most posted on current threads?

I don't agree with banning OT post from Xbox CC but can sort of understand why it was done (I'm guessing it was because it was worse in other sections than Xbox but you have to keep the same rules) you'd made it clear for some time that the forums are not here for a social chat & making friends, just FIFA so it's no surprise.

What I don't understand is the removing of the real football thread. It was one thread stickied at the top so completely out the way, people discuss current games & in form players for possible TOTW so not entirely OT. Obviously people that play FIFA are likely to watch football.

Just to clarify something someone else mentioned (a comment now deleted) is real life player/team form now banned from the Xbox section?
  • Knowlesdinho
    9172 posts League Winner

You should do stand up.
  • EA_Andy

Come to the forum to talk about Fifa? I think you’ll find that general football chat is the main reason with actual UT talk second. People talk with like minded individuals who enjoy football. You can clearly see the fuss it’s kicked up yet you go ahead with it.

The logic you have is laughable as well....let’s put said thread in a quiet place...then when no one goes to it state that it clearly wasn’t a well used thread :joy:

The logic is we split the forum so people know exactly where to discuss the topics they want to discuss.

Otherwise we would just have one forum where anything goes. Not just off-topic in XBOX FUT but tech issues, bugs, career mode, kick off mode etc etc.

There seem to be a couple of issues with the changes.

1. You can't find your threads any more. I'd argue they're easier to find now as they're not coupled in with lots of FUT posts. Additionally there's a bookmark function that would solve this issue.

2. Those posts now won't get as much traffic. Point 1 solves some of that. And then to follow on from my point above, if new people aren't joining in perhaps they just don't want to talk about off-topic stuff. If they do they can go to that forum. Just like they can go to career mode for career mode etc.

We haven't stopped any of these conversations, if people want to talk about them they can. Real Football is still getting plenty of posts in the lounges.
  • EA_Andy
    edited February 6

I think you'll be hard pushed to claim the real football thread was not popular, how many views/comments are there? Possibly one of the most posted on current threads?

I don't agree with banning OT post from Xbox CC but can sort of understand why it was done (I'm guessing it was because it was worse in other sections than Xbox but you have to keep the same rules) you'd made it clear for some time that the forums are not here for a social chat & making friends, just FIFA so it's no surprise.

What I don't understand is the removing of the real football thread. It was one thread stickied at the top so completely out the way, people discuss current games & in form players for possible TOTW so not entirely OT. Obviously people that play FIFA are likely to watch football.

Just to clarify something someone else mentioned (a comment now deleted) is real life player/team form now banned from the Xbox section?

I'm not claiming the topics aren't popular. I'm questioning the argument that people won't use them because they are in a slightly different forum and that maybe new players to the forum are initially coming for the FIFA chat and if they want off-topic they'll go look for it.

Those threads can be bookmarked to find easily. Maybe I need to make a proper post about how to use that function.

As for the real life player/form it would depend on context really. If it's related to FUT and what items might be coming etc then you should be good to post it in the FUT sections.
  • Antparry92
    16924 posts World Class

The logic is we split the forum so people know exactly where to discuss the topics they want to discuss.

Otherwise we would just have one forum where anything goes. Not just off-topic in XBOX FUT but tech issues, bugs, career mode, kick off mode etc etc.

1. You can't find your threads any more. I'd argue they're easier to find now as they're not coupled in with lots of FUT posts. Additionally there's a bookmark function that would solve this issue.

2. Those posts now won't get as much traffic. Point 1 solves some of that. And then to follow on from my point above, if new people aren't joining in perhaps they just don't want to talk about off-topic stuff. If they do they can go to that forum. Just like they can go to career mode for career mode etc.

We haven't stopped any of these conversations, if people want to talk about them they can. Real Football is still getting plenty of posts in the lounges.

They’re not easier to find though....IT WAS STICKIED! Yet now it’s easier to find? :joy:

Your second point then has clarified your stance on things. You want to get rid of the old heads, have new guys in who solely talk about UT. They’re getting the odd post...I have bookmarked the MLS thread because posts have gone down that much from previously that the notifications don’t bother me. “Maybe people don’t want to talk about MLS?”....well that’s funny because it was a busier place beforehand, much the same way all these other threads that you’ve ‘hidden’ will go.

If you’ve honestly banned in form/performance based talked in UT as well then it’s an absolute farce :joy:
  • Hippyboy6
    16836 posts World Class
    edited February 6
    I'm not claiming the topics aren't popular. I'm questioning the argument that people won't use them because they are in a slightly different forum and that maybe new players to the forum are initially coming for the FIFA chat and if they want off-topic they'll go look for it.

Those threads can be bookmarked to find easily. Maybe I need to make a proper post about how to use that function.

As for the real life player/form it would depend on context really. If it's related to FUT and what items might be coming etc then you should be good to post it in the FUT sections.

People won't use them, you already know this by the feedback you have received. Was there a reason for not doing a poll first?

That doesn't really answer the question, if I post a thread saying Aguero had a great game bagging a hat trick, it'll get removed but if I add he may get a TOTW it'll stay there?

Do you think FIFA players don't like football? Talking specifically about the real football thread.
  • EA_Andy

They’re not easier to find though....IT WAS STICKIED! Yet now it’s easier to find? :joy:

Your second point then has clarified your stance on things. You want to get rid of the old heads, have new guys in who solely talk about UT. They’re getting the odd post...I have bookmarked the MLS thread because posts have gone down that much from previously that the notifications don’t bother me. “Maybe people don’t want to talk about MLS?”....well that’s funny because it was a busier place beforehand, much the same way all these other threads that you’ve ‘hidden’ will go.

If you’ve honestly banned in form/performance based talked in UT as well then it’s an absolute farce :joy:

You're only thinking about threads that were already there. Of course one particular thread that was stickied will be more visible but why should that thread be sticked over anything else?

What I mean by easier to find is if someone comes to the forums and decides they want to talk real football or non-FIFA topics then there's specific forums to easily find what they want.
  • Antparry92
    16924 posts World Class

You're only thinking about threads that were already there. Of course one particular thread that was stickied will be more visible but why should that thread be sticked over anything else?

What I mean by easier to find is if someone comes to the forums and decides they want to talk real football or non-FIFA topics then there's specific forums to easily find what they want.

Cater to the new guys before the guys who contribute to the community? The process before was not broke yet you ‘attempt to fix it’.

And apparently I’m the only one with an objection to this? :joy:
  • Hippyboy6
    16836 posts World Class

The thread was stickied because it's extremely popular so no-one wanted that many notifications when they log in. I guess it's not so much of a problem bookmarking it now as it'll only have a few comments.
  • BiigDee
    4322 posts National Call-Up
    Well I never seen this thread for some reason hence me getting a warning last night for posting OT thread about real football, not sure why it was deleted or if it was possible to move it to the relevant page. With that being said when I tried to post it there I was unable to.

• EA_Andy

People won't use them, you already know this by the feedback you have received. Was there a reason for not doing a poll first?

That doesn't really answer the question, if I post a thread saying Aguero had a great game bagging a hat trick, it'll get removed but if I add he may get a TOTW it'll stay there?

Do you think FIFA players don't like football? Talking specifically about the real football thread.

It was a change we wanted to make so it didn't feel right creating a poll for a change we were going to implement.

We have received some feedback in this thread from people saying they won't use them now but they're still there if they want to.

If it's simply a discussion about how good Aguero was then it's probably best in real football.

Of course FIFA players like football, that's why we have a whole section of the forum dedicated to those discussions.
  • EA_Andy

The thread was stickied because it's extremely popular so no-one wanted that many notifications when they log in. I guess it's not so much of a problem bookmarking it now as it'll only have a few comments.

You can bookmark any thread and also set it to not notify you if you want. That way you don't get spammed with notifications but can also find the threads you really like easily.
  • Hippyboy6
    16836 posts World Class

Cater to the new guys before the guys who contribute to the community? The process before was not broke yet you ‘attempt to fix it’.

And apparently I’m the only one with an objection to this? :joy:

That's been the way it's been since the EA guys arrived, hasn't been as quick as expected though tbf. The people that made the forums as popular as they are & largely self moderated by volunteers are no longer needed after doing it for years. The general feelings were very clear but the threads were moved anyway.
  • Knowlesdinho
    9172 posts League Winner
    Let’s face it Andy, nobody wanted these changes. You’ve shown complete disdain for the community by not asking them first.

The forum was more than what you thought it was...a community that has slowly been destroyed, all you’re doing is quickening the pace.

All your explanations mean nothing. I was tagging you in all the pointless threads that keep getting posted, but nothing. You only have to go in GD to find people posting multiple threads about the same subject...the free pack yesterday for example, yet this is ok.

This never happened before in the Xbox section. Why? Because we moderated it better than your mods without actually being mods.

You’ve looked for a problem that wasn’t there, instead of fixing actual problems. Have you read your own rules? Virtually nobody follows them in GD...that is what you should have fixed, not this!
  • Hippyboy6
    16836 posts World Class

It was a change we wanted to make so it didn't feel right creating a poll for a change we were going to implement.

We have received some feedback in this thread from people saying they won't use them now but they're still there if they want to.

If it's simply a discussion about how good Aguero was then it's probably best in real football.

Of course FIFA players like football, that's why we have a whole section of the forum dedicated to those discussions.

Thanks for clarifying, the guys who have helped build the forum up to where it is now will no longer have their opinions taken into consideration.
  • EA_Andy
    @Knowlesdinho - Agree that multiple threads on the same topic aren't great. Try to lock and re-direct where possible but you can appreciate just how busy the forums get.

Someone creating a thread where there is already a discussion is something we'd like to try and avoid but it's inevitable with such a busy forum.

If you do notice any threads that are breaking other rules though feel free to flag them.
  • Hippyboy6
    16836 posts World Class
    @Knowlesdinho - Agree that multiple threads on the same topic aren't great. Try to lock and re-direct where possible but you can appreciate just how busy the forums get.

Someone creating a thread where there is already a discussion is something we'd like to try and avoid but it's inevitable with such a busy forum.

If you do notice any threads that are breaking other rules though feel free to flag them.

You want help moderating the forums now :joy:
  • Alemas_2012
    14066 posts Has That Special Something
    edited February 6
    Just a side-note.
    The Serie A lounge hasn't had any new "regulars" since the change.
    Same old people still post, with no "fresh blood".
    In case one of the goals was increased intermingling between lounges because they were all in one place, well, it failed quite miserably. :D