Off-Topic / Real Football changes

Comments

• dannyboy
    12919 posts Has That Special Something
    The way things stand, I'm on the verge of leaving this community.

Please don't, we can't afford to lose an influential forumer like you
  • Mart
    8180 posts League Winner
    dannyboy wrote: »
    The way things stand, I'm on the verge of leaving this community.

Please don't, we can't afford to lose an influential forumer like you

I would be beyond devastated.
  • Vies_Adams_Apple
    145 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Cheers, XCC’s crying nice one.
  • ITSSPENO
    2010 posts Fans' Favourite
    EA_Andy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback and opinions on this change so far.

I don't think I ever expected everyone to be completely on board with a change like this straight away. Change often causes disagreement and it takes time to get adjusted.

Just because something has "always been like this without issue" doesn't mean it should never be changed.

I understand the point about the communities that have built up in certain sections and that perhaps some of you aren't as connected to FUT as you once were but still enjoy using those sections. I think it's worth noting that as well as the already established communities there are lots of new players visiting the forum every week and to me the experience of entering a FIFA or FUT section and seeing discussion about other games or sports would be a little strange.

I'm a user of plenty of other forums and I don't think I can recall any that allow off-topic discussion outside of the off-topic section (and plenty don't allow off-topic at all).

There is an argument that these threads are few and far between and don't disrupt. That might be the case but on the flip side if they're that few and far between they're more likely to get lost in the FIFA discussion. Now they're more visible in their own forum as the off-topic forum will naturally be quieter.

Given that we haven't removed the major threads, nor have we removed the ability to discuss these topics there wasn't advance notice given. There's not really anything that needs to be changed with the threads themselves other than a different location / URL. Any bookmarks should still work at the new location.

As for whether the move was right or wrong that's going to be up to each individual to decide, it's your opinion after all. I feel we've made a move that will mean off-topic threads don't get lost and have their own dedicated section for discussion. It will also mean that those that purely want to talk about FIFA and FUT have their sections too, whether that person is a well established part of the community or someone new to the forums.

I appreciate that everyone would like a say or vote into everything we do but sometimes we have to make a decision that we think will be better for the long term.

That's a lot of words to say "we're not changing it back and you'll all get bored of moaning soon".
  • VanBasten12
    6784 posts Big Money Move
    I'm only here because I was given the heads up that you had responded @EA_Andy. Haven't been in this section since it was changed over and really any OT discussion is no longer read by me. I can only imagine that I am one of many now that have taken this stance.

As @Knowlesdinho has said - and I couldn't agree more - waning community indeed!

Like so many have said, why not make a poll and see how the respective communities would respond? Just because other forums do it in a specific manner, doesn't mean that it would naturally work here. Regardless of that, it would show us that you actually care, and are keen to hear our views and thoughts on subjects that affect us.

Now, if we had participated in that poll, and it was pro "OT section", then we would have had to accept it, but we would do so knowing that we all were part of that decision. But nope, the dictatorship that you adhere to is simply forced upon us.

That, tied in with the many problems of the game that EA barely responds to, just shows that you're only about the money.

You'll happily take the $1M-odd on the 60k Ultimate Packs sold in 13 min (yes, I checked how quick the packs went & estimate is based on 80% purchased with FP).
  • RebelRob
    6820 posts Big Money Move
    Whole heatedly agree with what @Knowlesdinho and @VanBasten12 have said.

It would be interesting to know if this is Andy’s doing/suggestion, or if it’s been pushed by the higher power.

Surely as the community ‘manager’ @EA_Andy , you can pool everyone to see what they think and change it if they disagree with the change?
  • Absting159
    7729 posts Moderator
    I'm not completely sold one way or the other yet, I'm leaning toward that of the majority that I don't like it.

BUT - for the weekend, I'm just using the "Favorite" threads and making my notifications work more efficiently in the threads I want to watch (Fortnite thread) and then my normal threads in XBCC.

Also, to hop back and forth I'm being sure I use the quick links along the right side of the page to navigate quickly back and forth. It's a little cumbersome, but the more I've been doing it the less annoying it is.

Having the notifications setup make it easier to know when to hop to the other threads too.

Still undecided on my final opinion.
  • Azof
    18516 posts World Class
    Absting159 wrote: »
    I'm not completely sold one way or the other yet, I'm leaning toward that of the majority that I don't like it.

BUT - for the weekend, I'm just using the "Favorite" threads and making my notifications work more efficiently in the threads I want to watch (Fortnite thread) and then my normal threads in XBCC.

Also, to hop back and forth I'm being sure I use the quick links along the right side of the page to navigate quickly back and forth. It's a little cumbersome, but the more I've been doing it the less annoying it is.

Having the notifications setup make it easier to know when to hop to the other threads too.

the notifications are so obnoxious on moible
  • Choepiechakie
    33856 posts National Team Captain
    Azof wrote: »

I quite like them tbf. Only thing is they are hard to get rid off sometimes, when you click on them and after that you use you previous page button, it shows up again
  • Azof
    18516 posts World Class

I quite like them tbf. Only thing is they are hard to get rid off sometimes, when you click on them and after that you use you previous page button, it shows up again

if you dont go to the thread via the notification wee bugger never goes away unless I'm missing something
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    A lot of you seem to be having difficulty finding threads you've already posted in, the Participated Discussions page of the forums can help with that.

I've used it for years and have my bookmarks set as that so I read that when I first come to the forums before looking at other sections.
  • omarnyc
    3870 posts National Call-Up
    Im curious which one of you came with this "brilliant" idea.
  • Azof
    18516 posts World Class
    Alastair wrote: »
    A lot of you seem to be having difficulty finding threads you've already posted in, the Participated Discussions page of the forums can help with that.

I've used it for years and have my bookmarks set as that so I read that when I first come to the forums before looking at other sections.

doesnt fix the issue of people not finding new threads
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator

We can't know if that will happen for a while yet.

For instance I know some of the lounges I post in have got more popular in the last few days rather than less popular.
  • Neckabob
    13488 posts Has That Special Something

For instance I know some of the lounges I post in have got more popular in the last few days rather than less popular.

Yeah ok lol
    The league lounges are dead. Even the serie a lounge which was very active in GD.
    Stop trying to act like it was a good idea
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    Neckabob wrote: »

Yeah ok lol
    The league lounges are dead. Even the serie a lounge which was very active in GD.

I was only talking about the ones I post in. For instance, I know the EFL Lounge activity has increased.
  • Neckabob

Yeah ok lol

I was only talking about the ones I post in. For instance, I know the EFL Lounge activity has increased.

The other ones decreased so...
  • Adrian095
    34071 posts National Team Captain
    Mart wrote: »
    I fully support this change.

I for one come on the EA Sports FIFA Ultimate Team 2019 forums to see neverending threads of people complaining, opening packs then complaining about their packs, threads about why Weekend League is unplayable despite OP playing 30 games week in week out, and much much more. Until today these threads were always overshadowed by the off-topic lounges, contributing little to nothing to the high standard of discussion on these boards. Removing these lounges finally leaves us with the quality threads we bookmark this site for.

Keep up the good work @EA_Andy!

And yet most of your comments are Off topic

4G43zqg.jpg
    buwgbCE.jpg
    48nqgG0.jpg
  • Mart
    8180 posts League Winner
    You’re a wee bit slow aren’t you @Adrian095
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator

Yeah ok lol

Just looked at the Serie A Lounge. Last Saturday and Sunday morning 12 posts. This Saturday and Sunday morning 12 posts.

Here are the full stats for the main lounges:

Serie A 12>12
    Turkey 18 > 9 (No football currently)
    US 2 > 17 (No football currently)
    JACK 3>0 (No football currently)
    Liga Nos 0>1
    EFL 41>73

Total 76>112
  • Alemas_2012
    19068 posts World Class
    edited January 2019

Yeah ok lol

Just looked at the Serie A Lounge. Last Saturday and Sunday morning 12 posts. This Saturday and Sunday morning 12 posts.

Serie A 12>12
    Liga Nos 0>1
    EFL 41>73

Total 76>112

*Cough*
    7 of those 12 Serie A Lounge posts from this week were from a back-and-forth conversation between two long-standing lounge members.
    None of the Inter or Milan fans have posted there yet.
    We haven't had any new posters.
    In any case, the lounge wasn't very active at all before the move, it was mostly me posting, so...
  • Alemas_2012
    19068 posts World Class
    Interesting to note that the only ones who haven't immediately complained about the move are the forum mods...
    rnNm1YG.gif
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    Interesting to note that the only ones who haven't immediately complained about the move are the forum mods...
    rnNm1YG.gif

With any change you only normally get the people against a change speaking out. People who are indifferent/in favour are more likely to ignore this thread than those strongly against it.
  • Alemas_2012
    19068 posts World Class
    rnNm1YG.gif

With any change you only normally get the people against a change speaking out. People who are indifferent/in favour are more likely to ignore this thread than those strongly against it.

Ah, so according to your logic, anyone who hasn't posted here complaining is automatically indifferent/in favour of the change? So everything's fine?
  • Alastair
    10242 posts Moderator
    rnNm1YG.gif

Ah, so according to your logic, anyone who hasn't posted here complaining is automatically indifferent/in favour of the change? So everything's fine?

That's not what I said at all. I said more likely to ignore not will ignore.
  • Knowlesdinho
    13746 posts Has That Special Something
    rnNm1YG.gif

That's not what I said at all. I said more likely to ignore not will ignore.

It's called apathy.
  • Knowlesdinho
    13746 posts Has That Special Something
    Regardless of what you are saying @Alastair, the fact remains that if the community had have been polled, there would have been little desire for this change.

I would create a poll myself, but it would probably get moved to the OT section, so what's the point?
  • HolgerBadstuber
    5212 posts Big Money Move
    Even if they are moved to real football, does that section and off topic really need to be divided further? Just makes mobile navigation clunky.
  • Neckabob

Yeah ok lol

Serie A 12>12
    Liga Nos 0>1
    EFL 41>73

Total 76>112

*Cough*
    7 of those 12 Serie A Lounge posts from this week were from a back-and-forth conversation between two long-standing lounge members.
    In any case, the lounge wasn't very active at all before the move, it was mostly me posting, so...

Same goes for our lounge. Rhe besiktas guys dont even know where we are probably
  • Choepiechakie
    33856 posts National Team Captain

Yeah ok lol

Serie A 12>12
    Liga Nos 0>1
    EFL 41>73

Total 76>112

*Cough*

Same goes for our lounge. Rhe besiktas guys dont even know where we are probably

I wish that was the case for the Ajax fans in the Eredivisie lounge :trollface: