Van Basten

ccooaattssyy
6822 posts Big Money Move
I bought the 91 and thus far (even though it’s early days) I’m not sure on him.

Finishing is not as good as expected. His touch/passing are inconsistent and he gets bullied quite a bit.

Anyone used any version to great success on the WL? What formation do you use and how do you play?

Comments

• Bobb
    643 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Used the 89 in WL and he is much quicker than I expected, I haven’t used the 91 but just looking at card stats the 89 has way better physicals including pace and agility. Also 89 Lineker is quality for 600k I like him better than 89 mvb
  • VanBasten12
    6784 posts Big Money Move
    Yeah, liked his Prime & was prolific in Rivals & WL. But have now sold him off as I would prefer a fresh one.

I would agree that his passing is not the best, but with 80 Short Pass on the Prime, I'm not expecting him to deliver quality through balls :smiley:.

He is clinical and certainly hits volleys very well. As a target man lobbing up goal kicks, certainly helps him winning them too.
  • ccooaattssyy
    Yeah, liked his Prime & was prolific in Rivals & WL. But have now sold him off as I would prefer a fresh one.

I would agree that his passing is not the best, but with 80 Short Pass on the Prime, I'm not expecting him to deliver quality through balls :smiley:.

He is clinical and certainly hits volleys very well. As a target man lobbing up goal kicks, certainly helps him winning them too.

I think the primes physicals & speed might make him quite a bit better than the 91?
  • VanBasten12
    6784 posts Big Money Move

I think the primes physicals & speed might make him quite a bit better than the 91?

Just had a look at the difference … On PHY, Strength is only 3 less (-7 Jumping :neutral: ), but DRI has the -6 Agility & -4 Balance which could possibly make him feel worse IG.

In terms of being bullied, I reckon the game mechanics where the defender touches the attacker with his little finger inducing an exaggerated stumble, is the issue more than some stat differences.

Personally, either you're going to be pro big-guy or you're struggle with him. I like 2 ST formations, so would pair him up with a smaller, nimbler guy next to him.
  • Finesse_4days
    6801 posts Big Money Move
    I bought the 91 and thus far (even though it’s early days) I’m not sure on him.

Finishing is not as good as expected. His touch/passing are inconsistent and he gets bullied quite a bit.

Anyone used any version to great success on the WL? What formation do you use and how do you play?
    The 89 is very good he has 87 Agility and feels smooth, I feel like I am his agent I have recommended him to that many people. I haven't used him in WL but in rivals which is the same standard as WL anyway, he was a beast for me and in two separate games he scored 5 in the same match.
  • ccooaattssyy

Just had a look at the difference … On PHY, Strength is only 3 less (-7 Jumping :neutral: ), but DRI has the -6 Agility & -4 Balance which could possibly make him feel worse IG.

In terms of being bullied, I reckon the game mechanics where the defender touches the attacker with his little finger inducing an exaggerated stumble, is the issue more than some stat differences.

Personally, either you're going to be pro big-guy or you're struggle with him. I like 2 ST formations, so would pair him up with a smaller, nimbler guy next to him.

Yeah, he seems to stumble a lot!

I’ve been using immobile- I like big STs
  • MonkeyBoy
    280 posts Sunday League Hero
    Give it time. I played over 200 games with him as a lone striker and in a 2 up top and he just finishes everything. Loves an overhead kick too
  • ccooaattssyy
    MonkeyBoy wrote: »
    Give it time. I played over 200 games with him as a lone striker and in a 2 up top and he just finishes everything. Loves an overhead kick too

Which version? @MonkeyBoy
  • MonkeyBoy
    280 posts Sunday League Hero
    The 91. I love him. Sold him last week and bought back today
  • GA85
    96 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I play with his prime card and he is clearly the best striker I used in FIFA 19.
  • Andybelfast
    10935 posts Has That Special Something
    Get the 89 mate
  • ccooaattssyy
    GA85 wrote: »
    I play with his prime card and he is clearly the best striker I used in FIFA 19.

Great
  • ccooaattssyy
    4 in 3

Really want the prime tho :#
  • ccooaattssyy
    Managed to snipe a prime today for just over 900k. Look forward to giving him a go. No idea what formation I want to roll with atm though.
  • ccooaattssyy
    edited January 20
    A few games in, he’s been VERY average.

Hold up is 50/50.
    Finishing is ok, nothing more. Missed a few big chances.
    Pace is ok.
    Movement is AWFUL! He thinks he’s a CM.
    Dribbling non existent
    Heading never in the box/loses GKs

What am I doing wrong?

2 goals in 3, I believe.
  • Hibee
    11848 posts Has That Special Something
    I thought he was excellent but then I used him most of last year so was used to him. Sold him for flashback Ibra though. Similar card at a fraction of the price.
  • ccooaattssyy
    Hibee wrote: »
    I thought he was excellent but then I used him most of last year so was used to him. Sold him for flashback Ibra though. Similar card at a fraction of the price.

How did you use him?
  • Hibee
    11848 posts Has That Special Something
    Hibee wrote: »

How did you use him?

Iv always had him up front with a more nippy and agile player (used Zola and then Stoichkov). Used him mostly for hold up play with his back to the goal but he scores from pretty much any angle. Just need to hustle that bit of space and it’s a goal.
  • McRaven
    4224 posts National Call-Up
    I think FB Zlatan is a better version of MVB. I played with the 89 this year and he's a good target man, but I've always found him a little limited. If he has space he can pretty much score anything, but it's hard to open up space for him.
  • ccooaattssyy
    Suggestions for a ST partner? 442.
  • ORANGEeffect05
    20270 posts Club Captain
    Clunker thread :trollface:
  • ccooaattssyy

This ain’t Trezeguet fam
  • ORANGEeffect05
    20270 posts Club Captain

This ain’t Trezeguet fam

True. 3* skills and clunker :worried:
  • Antparry92
    17514 posts World Class

Hold up is 50/50.
    Pace is ok.
    Dribbling non existent

What am I doing wrong?

2 goals in 3, I believe.

You’ve described my Ibra there
  • ORANGEeffect05
    20270 posts Club Captain
    Antparry92 wrote: »

Hold up is 50/50.
    Pace is ok.
    Dribbling non existent

What am I doing wrong?

2 goals in 3, I believe.

You’ve described my Ibra there

Uninstall fam
  • Reus
    22434 posts Club Captain
    His finishing is ridiculous must be you :D

Prefer Socrates now tbh, mvb is a better goalscorer but Socrates is more fun to use