OT- PS4 or PS4 Pro

ManyakFC
2063 posts Fans' Favourite
So ive just sold my xbox one and want to move back to PS4 the thing im wondering is, is it worth getting the Pro over normal PS4? if yes why? if no why not?

Primarily will play games such as fortnite, spiderman, and ofcourse God of war

Comments

• v4vendetta1978
    2797 posts Fans' Favourite
    U got a 4K tv / monitor? Or planning to get one soon ? If yes then pro looks amazing .
  • Mmandras
    1713 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited January 5
    God of war works with better framerate. Spiderman and other games have supersampling that's not very noticable, just makes picture a little bit smoother. PSVR just looks bad. So if you're not planning to get 4K, you don't need the Pro. Even then, bear in mind most of the games use checkerboarding to simulate 4K and are not in native 4K, and always include distance into account because you might not notice resolution change at all, if diagonal/distance ratio is lower than what can be percieved by the healthy human eyes.
  • ManyakFC
    U got a 4K tv / monitor? Or planning to get one soon ? If yes then pro looks amazing .

yeah probably going to get one soon but currently got 1080P 40inch TV. is there a point in getting it if im only running a 1080p tv?
  • ManyakFC
    Mmandras wrote: »
    God of war works with better framerate. Spiderman and other games have supersampling that's not very noticable, just makes picture a little bit smoother. PSVR just looks bad. So if you're not planning to get 4K, you don't need the Pro. Even then, bear in mind most of the games use checkerboarding to simulate 4K and are not in native 4K, and always include distance into account because you might not notice resolution change at all, if diagonal/distance ratio is lower than what can be percieved by the healthy human eyes.

hmm i think fortnite for example on pro renders distance clearer even on a 1080P screen no? i remember playing on a mates xbox one x and as i was drifting down from glider could clearly see whats on the roof. im guessing thats because of the console not the gaming screen or am i incorrect in assuming that?
  • Mmandras
    1713 posts Play-Off Hero
    Depends on optimization really, sometimes you can choose presets: resolution/supersampling, better framerate or better graphic. Generally speaking you will have some benefits in most games, and double storage capacity is a bonus, but if you remain on good old full HD, you won't enjoy the full potential of the console. That's my main issue with the Pro - the real cost of this upgrade is much more than 200 eur if you take into account good 4K HD TV with large enough screen and 10-bit HDR, and god forbid if you enter into OLED territory. Resolution is important, but is it 1200eur important? Not so sure about that...
  • ManyakFC
    Mmandras wrote: »
    Depends on optimization really, sometimes you can choose presets: resolution/supersampling, better framerate or better graphic. Generally speaking you will have some benefits in most games, and double storage capacity is a bonus, but if you remain on good old full HD, you won't enjoy the full potential of the console. That's my main issue with the Pro - the real cost of this upgrade is much more than 200 eur if you take into account good 4K HD TV with large enough screen and 10-bit HDR, and god forbid if you enter into OLED territory. Resolution is important, but is it 1200eur important? Not so sure about that...

this is all helpful really appreciate it, do you think this will bring out close to best of the ps4 pro

https://www.very.co.uk/samsung-ue40nu7120-40-inch-ultra-hd-certified-4k-hdr-smart-tv/1600264026.prd
  • Mmandras
    1713 posts Play-Off Hero
    It's low end 4K TV without full HDR support. TV is small with basic panel. Close to best would be probably some 50" OLED, but that is 3x more expensive. Yeah, console gaming just went into luxury category with these 4K nonsense.