4-5-1 aka the fun attacking formation appreciation thread

AjaxLegends
1831 posts Play-Off Hero
edited January 4
Anybody else play 4-5-1? I only found out about it today and I can honestly say it has been the most fun I’ve had all year. If you’re like me and you’re playing for fun rather than rewards (in other words if you’re not good enough for Elite and just end up Gold 3/2/1 regardless ;) ) give this formation a try. It’s just so much fun going forward and yes you’re wide open for a counter attack A LOT. But you’ll score plenty too. My Cruyff scored 18 in 10 games after switching to this formation.

Below my team. I have Depay at stay central, get in behind and stay forward. Cruyff stay forward. LM RM and Firmino get back to defend. RB and LB stay back. Seedorf balanced and cover centre. Great great fun!

175wz7.png

Comments

• Asht1981
    957 posts Professional
    edited January 4
    I found it ok but I'm a fool for bringing my cbs out n leaving gaps for teams to exploit n u need the right cm for this formation when I tried he never stayed back, think the wr really matter on this one but if u get it right it is effective on a counter with fast build up....

I still have it set up as my go to formation if I'm losing also
  • AjaxLegends
    1831 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited January 4
    Asht1981 wrote: »
    I found it ok but I'm a fool for bringing my cbs out n leaving gaps for teams to exploit n u need the right cm for this formation when I tried he never stayed back, think the wr really matter on this one but if u get it right it is effective on a counter with fast build up....

I still have it set up as my go to formation if I'm losing also

I have the same haha. I manually defend so sometimes I’m screwed when I try to get the ball with Ramos. But I just play to 14 or 17 wins so doesn’t matter if I end 14-8 or 14-11 or 17-13 or 17-10. This is just so much more fun than 4231. And in the end, I as an average player, play for fun not to become a pro.

Seedorf is medium high and short but still he does the job nicely at the CM spot. Ramos is a monster who can clean up if he is lacking :).

I don’t agree with it being nice for a counter by the way. I love it for possession. I have my tactics at balanced and possession and works great! Would not recommend this formation as a counter formation. In attack I have so much options to pass it around to get in the box and score some great team goals.
  • Asht1981
    957 posts Professional
    It would be nice to play something other than 4231, it's a nice little game tho at the squad screen to see how he gets any other formation into a 4231..... kante st and hazard lw with cr7 cdm is my fave so far
  • AjaxLegends
    1831 posts Play-Off Hero
    It would be nice to play something other than 4231, it's a nice little game tho at the squad screen to see how he gets any other formation into a 4231..... kante st and hazard lw with cr7 cdm is my fave so far

Hahaha yeah, I know it before the start. I also feel opponents think I’m switching formations when they see 451 and then I just attack them like a fool and score goals because they don’t expect it :P
  • nathswfc
    1465 posts Play-Off Hero

Dont think iv ever seen cr starting in st
  • AjaxLegends
    1831 posts Play-Off Hero
    nathswfc wrote: »

Cause of Cancelo.
  • nathswfc
    1465 posts Play-Off Hero

Cause of Cancelo.

Or sandro
  • Ibte10
    1786 posts Play-Off Hero
    Nice. Think I will try it soon. Too obsessed with 4312 at the moment. Need to change up.
  • AjaxLegends
    1831 posts Play-Off Hero

Cause of Cancelo.

Or sandro

Yeah but he isn’t a damn hyperlink.
  • AjaxLegends
    1831 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ibte10 wrote: »
    Nice. Think I will try it soon. Too obsessed with 4312 at the moment. Need to change up.

Do it mate. So much fun. Disclaimer: you’ll definitely lose to better opponents and some close games (but those games you can change formation) but you’ll slaughter worse opponents with at least 3 goals :D. Kinda makes the game fairer to me.
  • Tsarov
    3656 posts National Call-Up
    How is Anderson on 7 chem and Bailly on 8 chem?
  • AjaxLegends
    1831 posts Play-Off Hero
    Tsarov wrote: »
    How is Anderson on 7 chem and Bailly on 8 chem?

Anderson is pretty awesome. I really like playing with him although his contribution is not that great, but he is super fun. Bailly is there because I had to sell RTTF van Dijk to buy ajaxlegend Seedorf. Will get NIF van Dijk back next week for 10 chem ;). Bailly isn’t bad though. Wouldn’t buy him off the market personally.
  • ScruffyDogBurger
    3304 posts National Call-Up
    edited January 4
    I won 13-2 with this formation in FIFA 15. I had FIF Alexis Sanchez in the position Cruyff is in, and I think he scored 8 that game. The guy was trying the whole time too haha.
  • AjaxLegends
    1831 posts Play-Off Hero
    I won 13-2 with this formation in FIFA 15. I had FIF Alexis Sanchez in the position Cruyff is in, and I think he scored 8 that game. The guy was trying the whole time too haha.

Yesterday my Cruyff was 92 games and 93 goals (with 6 disconnects last WL so he couldn’t score). Now he is 109 games 128 goals. WOW! However I’m 8-7 and started 11-2 last WL. But that was my best start this year and having much more fun now.
  • llcg04
    420 posts Sunday League Hero
    I use this formation when i am down, great in offense
  • AjaxLegends
    1831 posts Play-Off Hero
    llcg04 wrote: »
    I use this formation when i am down, great in offense

With this formation you never have to be down, because it’s so much fun (get it)!
  • AjaxLegends
    1831 posts Play-Off Hero
    Ended 16-14 this WL. Normally get to 14-8/14-10 before I quit. This formation made me want to play more. Was 14-12 this week then 16-12 and bottled it. But had the most fun I had all year. 451 is just plain fun :) But it isn’t meta in the slightest.
  • Jaymizzo
    2383 posts Fans' Favourite
    Its one of the most fun formations to use, that and 3ATB are some of the most fun formations to use.

Main formation is 4411 which I use almost religiously, but anytime i come across a 4321(anytime) or a 4231 (if losing to it) I switch to 451 and have fun with it while my opponent is sweating for those timed finesse shots.

Its a great formation if you want a breathe of fresh air from the meta.

Should try 352 or 3412 when you aren't in a competitive mood. They actually make the game a lot more fun.

• AjaxLegends
    1831 posts Play-Off Hero
    Jaymizzo wrote: »
    Its one of the most fun formations to use, that and 3ATB are some of the most fun formations to use.

Main formation is 4411 which I use almost religiously, but anytime i come across a 4321(anytime) or a 4231 (if losing to it) I switch to 451 and have fun with it while my opponent is sweating for those timed finesse shots.

Should try 352 or 3412 when you aren't in a competitive mood. They actually make the game a lot more fun.

Will try those too. I played 4411 before a lot too (together with 4231) and that’s a nice formation too, but 451 is slightly more fun. 4411 is a better counter to 4231 imo, but with 451 you can massacre an opponent so fast. Had like 7 RQ’s this WL and normally 2 or 3.
  • Jaymizzo
    2383 posts Fans' Favourite
    Jaymizzo wrote: »

Will try those too. I played 4411 before a lot too (together with 4231) and that’s a nice formation too, but 451 is slightly more fun. 4411 is a better counter to 4231 imo, but with 451 you can massacre an opponent so fast. Had like 7 RQ’s this WL and normally 2 or 3.

If you come up against a 4231 user who has attacking fullbacks, 4411 will wreck them yes, especially if you set your attacking width to 8+.

With 451, it just slaughters your opponent in attack. The reason I switch is because by the time I concede, my opponent is already used to my style with 4411, they don't expect me to switch to such an attacking formation half way through the first half.

Definitely try the 3ATB, not sure why it's not getting as much love on the forums.