4231 (narrow)

Jaymizzo
2383 posts Fans' Favourite
So this formation, like last year is still meta and one of the hardest to play against, atleast last year there was some difficulty in build up but timed finesse has made that almost non existent. It's also the most potent formation for AI defending (majority of players I played today have done so with the 4231).

Played about 30 games today and out of those ~24 or so were people switching to 4231 and only a few of the ones I played didn't use timed finishing. The rest were either 41212(2) or the normal 41212.

I personally play 4411 and have struggled so much against 4231. Point of this thread is to ask if anyone has found a decent counter to this formation?
451 seems to work quite well at countering the 3 formations mentioned but it suffers a lot when it comes to defending timed finishing.

Comments

• FDITQ
    243 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I switch to 41212(2) if I'm struggling to create chances against it. Have my LB/RB make forward runs. Most games they crack under the pressure.
  • Jaymizzo
    FDITQ wrote: »
    I switch to 41212(2) if I'm struggling to create chances against it. Have my LB/RB make forward runs. Most games they crack under the pressure.

Might try this when I get home.
  • CarpeDiem
    3342 posts National Call-Up
    I switch into 4222 if I'm struggling against it.
  • Mmandras
    6583 posts Big Money Move
    I think it's ok, but I advise to set higher width in tactics to create more space. I prefer this formation as it drains less stamina.
  • mhh1981
    3741 posts National Call-Up
    4222 is a good counter as above. I find 4231 easy to play against as the noobs leave so much space between CDMs and cams
  • IxToMxI
    8232 posts League Winner
    433 works so well against it, playing through the middle is literally playing into the strengths of 4231
  • Scrub39
    120 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I use 4231 and people tend to brandish all users with the same "noob" brush.

It can be MADE meta and OP etc. with the instructions people use. Dropping back deep creates a wall of players as the CDMs drop back into a line with the defence, keeping the full backs back makes it even worse and a complete borefest.

The best formation to counter the above 4231 is with an aggressive 4231. Set your team up with a high defensive line, press only after possession loss. Set your quicker full back to join the attack, leave the CDMs balanced. The high defensive line pushes them on which means they are closer to the CAMs and striker. You literally trap the opponent in their own half.

Definitely reccomend giving it a try.
  • Jaymizzo
    I tried the 41212 and really am not a fan of it, I loved 4312 in recent years but it doesn't seem to perform well against the meta.

4222 was my starting formation this year, really enjoyed it at the beginning of the game but currently, 4222 feels like it also plays into the strengths of 4231.

Also the 433 variations are fun to play with, so far aside from 451, 433(5) and 433(4) seem to be a decent counter. Still suffer from the sideways passing into a first time finesse (4231 is perfectly set up for this) and breaking down the AI. It's a lot easier to play against other formations even if they don't defend themselves but 4231 with 6 stay back is a nightmare.

• Jaymizzo
    Scrub39 wrote: »
    I use 4231 and people tend to brandish all users with the same "noob" brush.

It can be MADE meta and OP etc. with the instructions people use. Dropping back deep creates a wall of players as the CDMs drop back into a line with the defence, keeping the full backs back makes it even worse and a complete borefest.

The best formation to counter the above 4231 is with an aggressive 4231. Set your team up with a high defensive line, press only after possession loss. Set your quicker full back to join the attack, leave the CDMs balanced. The high defensive line pushes them on which means they are closer to the CAMs and striker. You literally trap the opponent in their own half.

Definitely reccomend giving it a try.

This is what I've been doing from the start. I have the Pep tactics (full width minimum depth) for certain games/situations but most of the time I play a balanced line or a high line (7 or 8).

The beauty of playing against 4231 is that you can have your fullbacks on attack without leaving yourself too exposed. Been doing this so far with varying success (4411, 451 and 433).

I've given up on 41212(2). Might try the wide 41212 and see how that plays.