5221 Wide Targetman Guide - sponsored by - Get it in the Mixer Cement Co.Ltd

FarPostGhost
423 posts Sunday League Hero
edited February 3
Philosophy -

Put simply, the goal of this playstyle is to get into the best possible crossing positions, with the best crossers of the ball, to deliver the best cross, to the tallest targetman, against some of the smallest players in the game.

Formation -

The best way to achieve the above is by playing a Targetman on the wing (yep, on the wing) in a 5221 formation. This allows you to load one side of the pitch with as many as 4 (LWB, LW, CM, ST) proficient crossers of the ball who will all look to cross to a targetman arriving late at the back post.

9 times out of 10, the targetman will be marked by a fullback. This usually creates a mismatch in height, strength and aerial ability which can be exploited.

For this playstyle you will only be attacking down one wing so for the player examples below I will be attacking and crossing down the left, however, you can mirror these player types and instructions if you’d prefer to use the opposite flank.

Players -

GK - Your choice, good throwing and kicking are always useful.

LWB - Very important player. Needs to have pace, excellent passing and crossing. Defensive stats are worthwhile but not the first consideration (i’ve Played wingers in this role). The LWB will combine with the LW to get into good crossing possitions. To do this he will be playing a lot of through balls, 1-2’s etc hence the need for high passing stats.

LCB - Another crucial position. The LCB should be left footed and a great passer of the ball. As the LWB advances up the pitch the LCB will move across to cover. This means he can be utilised as part of the attack when other passing routes are blocked. I’ll cover this in more detail in the ‘Attacking’ section below.

CB - Just a solid defender, best you can afford.

RCB - Same as above, however, long passing helps here. This allows you to spray the ball to the LWB from deep.

RWB - Your RWB won’t actually see much of the play. His main duties will be to defend and switch the play (often) so defending stats and long passing ability a must.

LCM - Another crucial player who will be pivitol to build up play. I prefer this player to be left footed, have good ball control and passing. He also needs serviceable crossing and pace. Defending stats are important in this position but not as much as the RCM.

RCM - The midfield general. This guy will more often than not be your only midfielder who’s in position when your opponent breaks. He needs to be able to track back quickly and break up play where possible. If he can’t win the ball he needs to slow the opponent by limiting options allowing the LCM and LWB recover their positions.

LW - The LW will be your main provider of crosses. He needs to be rapid, a great crosser with a min 4* weak foot and good on the ball.

ST - The striker in this playstyle is deployed as an extra crossing threat/out ball. Although you can play a second targetman here if you wish. If using him as a crosser he needs to be similar to your LW. You can try a hybrid of both, Scream Fellaini can work here for example.

RW - This is your main man. Firstly I should point out, there are no right wingers in the database with the right combination of physicality and stats to play this role so you will have to use custom tactics to get him in the team (typically swapping the starting RW with the ST). This guy needs to be a colossus, height is very important as is jumping and heading ability. He needs good attack positioning and volleying stats too. Pace is of no importance whatsoever.

Player instructions - (Standard unless stated)

LWB - Join the attack
CB’s - All 3 Default
RWB - Stay back
LCM - Get forward, Cover the wing
RCM - Stay back, Stay central
LW - Stay wide, get in behind
ST - Drift wide, get in behind
RW - Targetman, stay forward, get in the box for crosses

Tactics -

Pressure after possession loss
Width - 4
Depth - 5

Balanced
Width - 7
Players in box - 5
Corners - 3
FK - 3

How to attack -

As the formation only attacks down one wing you need to get as many of your team involved as possible. This, if set up correctly will be your LWB, LW, LCM & ST. Look to get your LW and ST in behind then combine with the LWB and LCM to get in an optimal position to cross. If you find your opponent is blocking you effectively, pass back to your LCB (who should be free) from there you can switch play (either directly or by passing through your CB’s) to your RWB. From here look to switch to advance slightly then switch the play to your LWB or LCB. This will pull the opponents formation about and recreate space on the left wing.

Be patient, one of my the main advantages of this style is the amount of game time you consume whilst getting in position to cross. This stops your opponent getting possession whilst also frustrating them into mistakes.

Another big plus for this playstyle is, as the patterns of play get ingrained as muscle memory, you stop panicking when you win the ball. You know immediately where you want to pass the ball and what options you have once it gets there.

Crossing Tips -

+ Always try to cross when not sprinting. If you can get your player facing the box before crossing this will also improve your delivery.

+ Use plenty of power, the targetman’s at the back post so you need to get it over the keeper and above the fullback.

+ Make use of the lofted cross, this gives your targetman time to get in position

+ Press shoot quite early, this seems to get the player into position to challenge

Defending -

The main drawback of the 5221 is a lack of presence in midfield. Your opponent will break on you following a failed cross, however, the 5 at the back formation reduces passing options when they attack. You should focus on getting your CM’s back into position while they are deciding what to do.

When the opponent does get to the edge of your box the back line tends to crowd them out or block the shot.

Final thoughts -

This playstyle may not be for players who are highly skilled at fifa. I’m a very average, maybe even poor player, however, using these tactics I can get around 20 wins in weekend league and hold my own in division 3 of rivals.

To illustrate how effective it can be, my targetman is 81 IF Wout Weghorst, he has 397 goals in 258 games, all WL and div 3 rivals!

Hope this guide helps other players who want to try something different, it can be great fun, especially when a clearly talented player rage quits at 3-0 down after the first half :)

I’ll update this guide as we go through the rest of Fifa 19, any questions are welcome, as are constructive suggestions.

Get it in the mixer!!,

***Update 1st Feb***

Custom Tactics -

I’ve tweaked my CT’s since first writing the guide, as always you should experiment with CT’s to find what suits you best but following a few requests here’s what i’m currently using:

Drop Back
Width: 4
Depth:4

Fast build up:

Width: 8
Players in box: 7
Corners: 4
Free Kicks: 4

Patterns of play -

Had some feedback around struggling to get crosses away against a deep packed defence, here are some suggestions:

Make use of your wide CB’s:

When you attack with your Winger and WB your wide CB will drop into a FB position and will generally be unmarked. If your opponent nerfs your wing attack, make use of the CB, when he has the ball you can either go back down the same wing and try again or (I use this play a lot) hit a cross field lofted pass to the opposite wide CB.

From there I generally play a short pass to the WB then check the radar. If the other WB is completely unmarked i’ll hit a full power cross field pass to him. This can really mess with the shape of the opponents team. You may also find your opponent challenges your WB trying to head the cross field ball away, if he misses it or you win the header, you’re pretty much guaranteed to be able to work a cross between your winger/WB.

Mix it up:

The mismatch between the wide targetman and the FB is not only exploitable at the far post but in general play too. If your opponent is using a high press tactic and you’re having trouble passing out from the back, there’s nothing wrong with going long. Hit a lofted pass up to the wide targetman.

From here you have a few options. If you can bring it down then great, but this will be rare. Either head the ball to your ST, CM, or WB. Often the WB will actually make a run in behind, in this case, use the through ball button to head the ball into the path of the run.

Lay it off:

In most games you’ll find yourself running down the wing with your winger being tracked by the opponents FB, who, as you get close to the box, will generally be joined by either a CB or CDM. This can make it difficult to cross as you are smothered by defensive players.

In these situations i’ve found that the opponent concentrates almost entirely on stopping the winger and pays little attention to the WB who has dropped back further up the field. I like to tap a throughball back up the line to the WB. This creates a perfect first time crossing opportunity, just load up the power and whip it in.
Post edited by FarPostGhost on

Comments

• TopClass13
    1129 posts Professional
    I don't use that formation but a nice guide is a nice guide.
  • FarPostGhost
    TopClass13 wrote: »
    I don't use that formation but a nice guide is a nice guide.

Thank you sir

• madwullie
    4742 posts National Call-Up
    edited December 2018
    Cross abuser

Nah only joking mate. Interesting idea and concept. I'm **** at heading so give these types of tactics a swerve but it's nice to see someone share their shid with the community
  • JordVorenholt
    434 posts Sunday League Hero
    Nice read. Might give it a try once when I'm bored with my regular teams.
  • Renamed123456
    5214 posts Big Money Move
    I used to use similar formation last year 3421 but with balls fizzed across the back.

I been using 2 striker this year and started with one target man... I've since stopped this as crosses never seem to be played high enough for them, always cleared by a ducked header from a CB 5 yards in front.

I really want to bring a target man with good passing back in for corner goals though or may be to try a new way of crossing to them.
  • Renamed123456
    5214 posts Big Money Move
    What's minimum attacking position rating you recommend ?
  • SJR440
    4417 posts National Call-Up
    Bookmarked, might come back to this tactic at some point :)
  • FarPostGhost
    What's minimum attacking position rating you recommend ?

I’d say 85 min, high as you can though
  • FarPostGhost
    Forgot to add ‘get in the box for crosses’ to the targetman
  • FarPostGhost
    The amount of abuse I get for playing this tactic is unreal, it’s like there’s only the META in some people’s eyes and as soon you stray from it you’re a cheat!

Anyway, WL going ok currently 11-4 Weghorst has 29 goals 😂
  • EisenErmin
    6371 posts Big Money Move
    The amount of abuse I get for playing this tactic is unreal, it’s like there’s only the META in some people’s eyes and as soon you stray from it you’re a cheat!

For me everyone that is not using the meta formations (like you do) is the only opponent i really enjoy to play against even when loosing. What about playing Ronaldo as Target Man in this formation? He is not that tall, but his heading and jumping are perfect. And i would not be limited to crossing only as he can do everthing.
  • Satch85
    1116 posts Professional
    Love this kind of guide! Admire people who come away from the meta, I love scoring from crosses. Have had success using 5221 with perisic as my target man winger. Also like 5212 and 4132 as crossing formations
  • FarPostGhost
    EisenErmin wrote: »

For me everyone that is not using the meta formations (like you do) is the only opponent i really enjoy to play against even when loosing. What about playing Ronaldo as Target Man in this formation? He is not that tall, but his heading and jumping are perfect. And i would not be limited to crossing only as he can do everthing.

Well, he is 6’2” so he’s not small, i’m debating this myself.

Thing is, if I look at it from a ‘moneyball’ perspective i’m Taking 456 goals from 280 matches out of the team (Weghorst) and it’ll cost me 2m coins.

But as you say it would allow the team to be more dynamic!
  • FinallySKY
    213 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Would it work the same if I play 433(4) and throw my targetman (vieri) in @ LW/RW? For getting him easier matchups on crosses

Great guide btw
  • FarPostGhost
    Satch85 wrote: »
    Love this kind of guide! Admire people who come away from the meta, I love scoring from crosses. Have had success using 5221 with perisic as my target man winger. Also like 5212 and 4132 as crossing formations

Cheers dude, not tried the other formations you mentioned, I can never get a 2 striker formation to work with crosses, any tips?

Always good to have different options on the dpad 😉
  • FarPostGhost
    FinallySKY wrote: »
    Would it work the same if I play 433(4) and throw my targetman (vieri) in @ LW/RW? For getting him easier matchups on crosses

Great guide btw

Thanks dude.

Yep it works in a 433, i’m Just not keen on those formations.
  • FinallySKY
    I’ll probably end up making a CT based on this guide and try it out with my remaining games.

I sold Messi even tho he’s a god just because in pro clubs I play as a target man and find it so fun

I’ll let you know how it goes, 7-0 rn in WL but when I lose a few in row I promise I won’t blame it on this guide lol
  • Please do try and learn how to break down the defence and score instead of using and abusing noob tactics; what is the point in saying you are a poor player but you can hold your own in Div 3?

Be good enough to be in that division by playing proper football. I hate crossers the most; I don't mind timed finesse shots because I've learned how to anticipate and move the goalkeeper.

The challenge is to learn how to dribble, pass, skill and score...not run down the side and YOLO cross for a goal. You don't need Wout or whatever his name is, I've had pygmies outjump my Varane.
  • Scaenor
    670 posts Semi-Pro
    Philosophy -

Put simply, the goal of this playstyle is to get into the best possible crossing positions, with the best crossers of the ball, to deliver the best cross, to the tallest targetman, against some of the smallest players in the game.

Formation -

The best way to achieve the above is by playing a Targetman on the wing (yep, on the wing) in a 5221 formation. This allows you to load one side of the pitch with as many as 4 (LWB, LW, CM, ST) proficient crossers of the ball who will all look to cross to a targetman arriving late at the back post.

9 times out of 10, the targetman will be marked by a fullback. This usually creates a mismatch in height, strength and aerial ability which can be exploited.

For this playstyle you will only be attacking down one wing so for the player examples below I will be attacking and crossing down the left, however, you can mirror these player types and instructions if you’d prefer to use the opposite flank.

Players -

LWB - Very important player. Needs to have pace, excellent passing and crossing. Defensive stats are worthwhile but not the first consideration (i’ve Played wingers in this role). The LWB will combine with the LW to get into good crossing possitions. To do this he will be playing a lot of through balls, 1-2’s etc hence the need for high passing stats.

LCB - Another crucial position. The LCB should be left footed and a great passer of the ball. As the LWB advances up the pitch the LCB will move across to cover. This means he can be utilised as part of the attack when other passing routes are blocked. I’ll cover this in more detail in the ‘Attacking’ section below.

RCB - Same as above, however, long passing helps here. This allows you to spray the ball to the LWB from deep.

RWB - Your RWB won’t actually see much of the play. His main duties will be to defend and switch the play (often) so defending stats and long passing ability a must.

LCM - Another crucial player who will be pivitol to build up play. I prefer this player to be left footed, have good ball control and passing. He also needs serviceable crossing and pace. Defending stats are important in this position but not as much as the RCM.

RCM - The midfield general. This guy will more often than not be your only midfielder who’s in position when your opponent breaks. He needs to be able to track back quickly and break up play where possible. If he can’t win the ball he needs to slow the opponent by limiting options allowing the LCM and LWB recover their positions.

LW - The LW will be your main provider of crosses. He needs to be rapid, a great crosser with a min 4* weak foot and good on the ball.

ST - The striker in this playstyle is deployed as an extra crossing threat/out ball. Although you can play a second targetman here if you wish. If using him as a crosser he needs to be similar to your LW. You can try a hybrid of both, Scream Fellaini can work here for example.

RW - This is your main man. Firstly I should point out, there are no right wingers in the database with the right combination of physicality and stats to play this role so you will have to use custom tactics to get him in the team (typically swapping the starting RW with the ST). This guy needs to be a colossus, height is very important as is jumping and heading ability. He needs good attack positioning and volleying stats too. Pace is of no importance whatsoever.

LWB - Join the attack
    CB’s - All 3 Default
    RWB - Stay back

Tactics -

Width - 4
    Depth - 5

Balanced
    Width - 7
    Players in box - 5
    Corners - 3
    FK - 3

How to attack -

As the formation only attacks down one wing you need to get as many of your team involved as possible. This, if set up correctly will be your LWB, LW, LCM & ST. Look to get your LW and ST in behind then combine with the LWB and LCM to get in an optimal position to cross. If you find your opponent is blocking you effectively, pass back to your LCB (who should be free) from there you can switch play (either directly or by passing through your CB’s) to your RWB. From here look to switch to advance slightly then switch the play to your LWB or LCB. This will pull the opponents formation about and recreate space on the left wing.

Be patient, one of my the main advantages of this style is the amount of game time you consume whilst getting in position to cross. This stops your opponent getting possession whilst also frustrating them into mistakes.

Another big plus for this playstyle is, as the patterns of play get ingrained as muscle memory, you stop panicking when you win the ball. You know immediately where you want to pass the ball and what options you have once it gets there.

Crossing Tips -

+ Always try to cross when not sprinting. If you can get your player facing the box before crossing this will also improve your delivery.

+ Use plenty of power, the targetman’s at the back post so you need to get it over the keeper and above the fullback.

+ Make use of the lofted cross, this gives your targetman time to get in position

+ Press shoot quite early, this seems to get the player into position to challenge

Defending -

The main drawback of the 5221 is a lack of presence in midfield. Your opponent will break on you following a failed cross, however, the 5 at the back formation reduces passing options when they attack. You should focus on getting your CM’s back into position while they are deciding what to do.

When the opponent does get to the edge of your box the back line tends to crowd them out or block the shot.

Final thoughts -

This playstyle may not be for players who are highly skilled at fifa. I’m a very average, maybe even poor player, however, using these tactics I can get around 20 wins in weekend league and hold my own in division 3 of rivals.

To illustrate how effective it can be, my targetman is 81 IF Wout Weghorst, he has 397 goals in 258 games, all WL and div 3 rivals!

Hope this guide helps other players who want to try something different, it can be great fun, especially when a clearly talented player rage quits at 3-0 down after the first half :)

I’ll update this guide as we go through the rest of Fifa 19, any questions are welcome, as are constructive suggestions.

Get it in the mixer!!,

Ur the kinda player i hate but how do u get ur rw to u score soo much I really don't see it
  • FinallySKY
    I usually play possession based, around 58-62% a game.

But god the front 3 tactics posted are so fun to use. Went 20-10 using the front 3 tactics tweaked with my own 433 flat tactics.

36 and 6 in 30 WL games for my targetman

I lost 2 games in pens and a few in the 90th min so I really can’t complain about how things went, with better play from myself I could’ve went elite 3 using these tactics pretty much.

Appreciate you spreading your tactics, OP
  • RayS
    26539 posts Player of the Year
    I love a good header so this does sound interesting
  • Headshrinker363
    5280 posts Big Money Move
    edited January 7
    Please do try and learn how to break down the defence and score instead of using and abusing noob tactics; what is the point in saying you are a poor player but you can hold your own in Div 3?

Be good enough to be in that division by playing proper football. I hate crossers the most; I don't mind timed finesse shots because I've learned how to anticipate and move the goalkeeper.

The challenge is to learn how to dribble, pass, skill and score...not run down the side and YOLO cross for a goal. You don't need Wout or whatever his name is, I've had pygmies outjump my Varane.

In short:- I haven’t figured out how to beat this system so you suck!
  • FarPostGhost
    Please do try and learn how to break down the defence and score instead of using and abusing noob tactics; what is the point in saying you are a poor player but you can hold your own in Div 3?

Well, i’m Poor/average at exploiting the meta but pretty good enough tactically for div 3. Just because I don’t copy a ‘pro’ tactic from YouTube doesn’t make them ‘noob’ tactics. If it were that easy everyone would be using them.

“Proper football” - interesting concept that. Also interesting you don’t mind facing what most players attempt but something different gets under your skin. You sound a bit like Wenger after his Arsenal team gets beaten by Stoke/Bolton.

Without wanting to sound rude I have to say you are completely incorrect with your last paragraph. The object of the game is to ouscore your opponent, how you attempt to do that is completely up to the player.
  • BordoMavi
    725 posts Semi-Pro
    Tried for 3 games, scored none lol had Auba as my Targetman dude cant score a header to save his life. Gonna try with another striker later
  • FarPostGhost
    FinallySKY wrote: »
    I usually play possession based, around 58-62% a game.

But god the front 3 tactics posted are so fun to use. Went 20-10 using the front 3 tactics tweaked with my own 433 flat tactics.

36 and 6 in 30 WL games for my targetman

I lost 2 games in pens and a few in the 90th min so I really can’t complain about how things went, with better play from myself I could’ve went elite 3 using these tactics pretty much.

Appreciate you spreading your tactics, OP

Thanks dude. Good figures there!
  • FarPostGhost
    BordoMavi wrote: »
    Tried for 3 games, scored none lol had Auba as my Targetman dude cant score a header to save his life. Gonna try with another striker later

Yeah, you really have to commit to a proper targetman to make this work. Every time i’ve Tried a sort of ‘hybrid’ player in that role it’s never worked.
  • FarPostGhost
    Scaenor wrote: »
    Philosophy -

Formation -

Players -

LWB - Join the attack
    CB’s - All 3 Default
    RWB - Stay back

Tactics -

Width - 4
    Depth - 5

Balanced
    Width - 7
    Players in box - 5
    Corners - 3
    FK - 3

How to attack -

Crossing Tips -

Defending -

Final thoughts -

Get it in the mixer!!,

Ur the kinda player i hate but how do u get ur rw to u score soo much I really don't see it

Well my targetman got 51 goals this WL. Nice to know i’m the type of player you hate.
  • Sandell85
    7570 posts League Winner
    Good guide, gonna try this. But how do you get targetman for a winger? :/
  • FarPostGhost
    Sandell85 wrote: »
    Good guide, gonna try this. But how do you get targetman for a winger? :/
    Use custom tactics so you can swap your targetman to the wing on the dpad. In the player instructions set the winger to targetman.
  • Please do try and learn how to break down the defence and score instead of using and abusing noob tactics; what is the point in saying you are a poor player but you can hold your own in Div 3?

In short:- I haven’t figured out how to beat this system so you suck!

Hey genius, did you go to college?