How to counter 4-2-3-1?

AA1020
59 posts Park Captain
I am having a real hard time playing vs 4-2-3-1 usually they just sit deep with a ton of players in box and look to counter.

Comments

• Durrani13
    425 posts Sunday League Hero
    AA1020 wrote: »
    I am having a real hard time playing vs 4-2-3-1 usually they just sit deep with a ton of players in box and look to counter.

First you have to make sure it is 4231 being utilised. Don't go by what comes up on the opening screen. That's just for chemistry.

Second, what formation are you using and what tactics? It's hard to know how to advise you without more information.
  • greif44
    2280 posts Fans' Favourite
    Durrani13 wrote: »

First you have to make sure it is 4231 being utilised. Don't go by what comes up on the opening screen. That's just for chemistry.

Second, what formation are you using and what tactics? It's hard to know how to advise you without more information.

So do you know how to counter 4231 or not?
    Pretty much everyone is running 4231 regardless of what's on the loading screen, it's easy to recognize in game
  • Thejuves
    988 posts Professional
    4231 i use 442 or 4222 so u can take midfield back
  • AA1020
    59 posts Park Captain
    Tbh I am willing to adopt any formation and tactic to beat 4-2-3-1. Literally drawing so many games on divisions currently...its just me trying to get through all the bodies in the box and opponent just countering me.
  • ragesh91
    1162 posts Professional
    Have had some success with 433(4) vs it
  • AA1020
    59 posts Park Captain
    Man currently really hating the game. Everyone seems to just use 4-2-3-1 park the bus and counter/score only through cheese timed finesse shots that often are not even green. Never even bothered learning timed finesse shots because I hate them though it seems its only way. Idk if it was latest patch though I can't break 4-2-3-1 teams down and having so many boring 0-0 or 1-1
  • Durrani13
    greif44 wrote: »

Pretty much everyone is running 4231 regardless of what's on the loading screen, it's easy to recognize in game

I do for my style. That doesn't mean it will work for everyone. If you share more information I can tell you how to use your settings to counter. What you are asking is the equivalent of "can you swing a golf club well?" And then asking me to correct your mistake.
  • Batman442
    3765 posts National Call-Up
  • greif44
    2280 posts Fans' Favourite

I do for my style. That doesn't mean it will work for everyone. If you share more information I can tell you how to use your settings to counter. What you are asking is the equivalent of "can you swing a golf club well?" And then asking me to correct your mistake.

I play 352 most of my games, but I start 433 and switch in game, so it can be converted to almost any formation. I don`t mind to try something different that can counter 4231
  • AA1020
    59 posts Park Captain

I play 4-3-2-1/4-1-2-1-2(2) and recently trying out 4-2-3-1
    I dont really touch custom tactics so that may be the problem.
  • Durrani13

I play 4-3-2-1/4-1-2-1-2(2) and recently trying out 4-2-3-1
    I dont really touch custom tactics so that may be the problem.

Yep. You need to set tactics. To counter have a couple of your players stay forward at all times. The fastest two. Get your LB and RB to join in the attack. But don't turn it over when you do this. Once your wings are not protected it can result in easy goals.
  • mdizzl3
    12307 posts Has That Special Something
    Play 4321 and do kick ups with your CBs. Wait for them to get impatient and then break quickly
  • Rossco160715
    2136 posts Fans' Favourite
    mdizzl3 wrote: »
    Play 4321 and do kick ups with your CBs. Wait for them to get impatient and then break quickly

This is exactly why this game needs patched as soon as possible.
  • Free12345
    216 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Every one i usually play against in division 2 play really deep and narrow. Only way to win is to master first time finese. All the youtubers are big liars. They tell you play to play 7 width,5 depth. You will get countered for days.

Play deep and narrow and based on your style you either tiki-taka till finesse and fast build up to counter
  • AA1020 wrote: »
    Tbh I am willing to adopt any formation and tactic to beat 4-2-3-1. Literally drawing so many games on divisions currently...its just me trying to get through all the bodies in the box and opponent just countering me.

Soo true I average 57% possession but often loose cos I don't like outside box finesse my problem Ik but it shouldn't be like that players of high calibre miss chances like this how! https://streamable.com/rh0r3
  • Notformeclive
    2336 posts Fans' Favourite
    Play a wide formation and double up down the sides, pass the ball to your wide player wait for their full back to engage and your fullback should be in down the side.
    A CDM/CB will need to come over and spaces will open up, don't spam everything through the middle.
    Fullbacks need to on balanced (minimum) though.

Best would be something like a 343 formation but if that is a bit expansive then any non narrow formation, 442, 4231(2) , any 433.
  • Williejno1
    3084 posts National Call-Up
    edited December 2018
    I start with 42312 on opening screen to to put opponents on edge as no one like playing against it
    Straight of I switch to 4334 with real high back line so basically all out attack got back to div 3 quite easily befor I stoped playing last week

Seriously guys u are playing way to defensive most ya e all the players stuck in their own half don’t give them a chance to get out get your back line right up the pitch u will be surprised how rewarding it is
  • Colt_seevers
    1063 posts Professional
    It’s a difficult formation to counter, mostly cuz it’ll bore you to tears playing against it
  • Lackosweat
    5455 posts Big Money Move
    442 flat destroys 4231.
  • KingKareemCPT
    11 posts Ball Boy
    edited December 2018
    I start out with 4231 then when I concede 1 goal I switch to 4231(2), if I concede again then 4222 but each formation has same instructions with different depths and width and the differences is amazing.

Not all 4231's are the same because you will think you figured it out then bam you get smacked by a 10k team running opposite instructions.
  • JMUIRHEAD
    506 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Batman442 wrote: »

• Jawz
    115 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I play 41212(2), I have my ct set to balance, and just play passively, dont do unnecessary passes, unless you have to, make the other player move one of his players out of position, and utilize that as your advantage. If you know how move your keeper is also a bonus.
  • AA1020
    59 posts Park Captain
    I will be taking a look at all suggestions and hope they make a difference. I play vs 4-2-3-1 pretty much every game and it is so boring. The opponents don't even seem to care playing 0-0 games and barely getting shots on target. I honestly think a lot of the times they are hoping your composure deteriorates or they get lucky with random 180 finesse shot.
  • SomeNextGuy
    2596 posts Fans' Favourite
    Play against me, I've been using 4-2-3-1 and I'm still relatively terrible.
  • MHoney1234
    7680 posts League Winner
    41212-2 narrow. Both CMs on get into box, get forward, full backs on stay back and CDM on stay back. Over load 3v2 through the middle and his fast balls into a 2 striker formation.

Usually counter it with 4231 myself, but have joy using 41212-2 narrow against weaker noobs who just sit back
  • iConfueZ
    277 posts Sunday League Hero
    Play 4-3-3(4) with procession, let your LB and RB join the attack and just pass the ball around unt they get annoyed and step out and then profit from the space.
  • DeanoZoff
    4222 posts National Call-Up
    442 flat and 4411 both do well against it.

Or if you want to take boredom to a whole new level, you can go like for like and see who falls asleep first.
  • Raider
    3430 posts National Call-Up
    yeah just got smashed by a 433 4 :(
  • AA1020
    59 posts Park Captain
    what tactics/instructions do I use with 433 4? Just set fb to just the attack?
  • SP300x
    133 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Ive been using 4-2-4 and 4-2-2-2 to counter this